X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaders from amongst the Women of Paradise

Leaders from amongst the Women of Paradise
    Ustadh Dr. Umar al-Ashqar

The best women are those who attain the Paradise of delights. The women of Paradise are of different grades, and the leaders of the women of Paradise are Khadijah, Fatimah, Maryam (Mary), and Aasiyah.

Imaam Ahmad reported with an authentic chain of narration that the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) drew four lines and said to the Companions,
    "Do you know what these are?" They said, "Allaah and His Messenger know best." He said, "The best women of the women of Paradise are Khadijah bint Khuwaylid, Fatimah bint Muhammad, Maryam bint `Imran, and Aasiyah bint Muzahim (the wife of the Pharaoh)."

Maryam and Khadijah are the best of the four. Imaam al-Bukhari narrated from `Ali ibn Abi Talib (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said,
    "The best of its women is Maryam and the best of its women is Khadijah."

Maryam Bint `Imran

Maryam is the "First Lady," the best of all women.

At-Tabarani reported from Jabir that the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) said,
    "The leaders , after Maryam bint `Imran, of the women of Paradise will be Fatimah, Khadijah, and Aasiyah the wife of the Pharaoh."

The reason why Maryam is considered to be the best of all women is clearly stated in the Qur'aan,

[
    Behold! The Angels said, "O Maryam! Allaah has chosen you and purified you and preferred you above the women of all nations."] (Aal `Imran 3:42)

How could she not be the best of women when Almighty Allaah has clearly stated,

[
    And her Lord accepted her with a goodly acceptance and made her to grow in a good manner]. (Aal `Imran 3:37)

These four women are beautiful examples of perfect, righteous women. Maryam bint `Imran is praised by Allaah in the Qur'aan,

[
    Maryam, daughter of `Imran, whose body was chaste, so We [Allah] breathed therein something of Our Spirit. And she put faith in the words of her Lord and His scriptures, and she was of the obedient.] (At-Tahrim 66:12)

Khadijah Bint Khuwaylid

Khadijah As-Siddiqah (the true believer) believed in the Messenger (peace and blessings be upon him) without hesitation; she consoled him and supported him in every way. Her Lord gave her the good news, during her lifetime, of a palace in Paradise in which there would be no noise and no exhaustion.

Al-Bukhari reported from Abu Hurayrah: "Jibreel came to the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) and said, 'O Messenger of Allaah, Khadijah is coming to you carrying a tray of food and drink. When she comes to you, convey to her greetings of peace from her Lord and from me, and give her glad tiding of a house in Paradise in which there is neither noise nor confusion."

Aasiyah the Pharaoh's Wife

Aasiyah, the wife of the Pharaoh, despised the power and luxuries of this world and rejected the Pharaoh and his false claims of divinity, so her husband tortured her until her soul departed and returned to its Creator.

[
    And Allaah sets forth an example for those who believe: The wife of Pharaoh when she said, "My Lord! Build for me a home with you in the Garden, and deliver me from Pharaoh and his doing, and deliver me from evil-doing folk] (At-Tahrim 66:11)

Fatimah Bint Muhammad

Fatimah Az-Zahraa', the daughter of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him), was patient and forbearing, and she feared Allaah. She was like her father in every way, even his walk. She learned from his manners and abided by his commands.

It is reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, "Fatimah is a part of me, and what hurts her hurts me" (Muslim). She was a branch from the pure tree, brought up by the educator of humanity himself (peace and blessings be upon him).

Source: Paradise and Hell in the Light of the Qur'aan and Sunnah

Comment

Re: sisters know your role models:Umm Umara

bump ..
      "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet :saw: said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

[Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

Comment

Al-Shifaa bint Abduallah al Qurashiyah al Adawiyah

The Companion* Al-Shifaa bint Abduallah al Qurashiyah al Adawiyah was one of the wise women of her time. Literate in an illiterate age, she was skilled in medicine, involved in public administration, and had a strong presence in early Muslim history.

Al-Shifaa embraced Islam before the Hijra, and was one of the earliest to migrate from Makkah to Madinah. She took the Pledge or Bay'ah to the Messenger (saw), declaring loyalty to him before witnesses when it was still a dangerous thing to do.

Her real name may have been Laila. Al Shifaa is a title derived from her profession as a medicine woman; it means "healing." She used to conduct preventative treatments against antbite before the advent of Islam. After Hijrah, she approached the Prophet, and said "Oh Messenger of Allah, I used to do preventative medicine for antbites during Jahiliyya, and I want to demonstrate it for you."

He said, "Demonstrate it."

Al Shifaa said "So I demonstrated it for him, and he said '[continue to] do this, and teach it to Hafsah [a wife of the Prophet].' In another version he said "Why dont you teach this one [indicating Hafsah] the preventative medicine against antbites, just as you taught her how to write?" She apparently taught Hafsah, and probably others, to write, at the personal request of the Prophet.

The Messenger (saw) used to visit her in her own home so frequently that she set aside a mat and a cover, or izar, for his use when he took his siesta there. She kept these momentos until her death and passed them on to her children.

The Messenger (saw) gave her title to a house in the Hakakin area of Madinah. His value for her company influenced the caliphs. As Caliph, Umar used to defer to her opinion. Umar's respect for Al Shifaa's competence, character, and judgement led him to appoint her as an officer, or wali, in the administration of the marketplace. This makes her possibly the first Muslim woman to hold an official position in public administration.

Al Shifaa narrates a good number of hadiths. Many Companions narrate hadiths on her authority, including Hafsah.

With her forceful character, influential counsel, and multiple professional skills, Al Shifaa bint Abdullah must have been a major figure in early Muslim society, probably a household name.

Comment

:jkk:
          check out this blog>>>http://myworldmuslimah.wordpress.com/

Comment

masha Allah :jkk: amin
            "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

Comment

Re: Atikah bint Nafil (ra)

Originally posted by WH View Post
              Atikah bint Nafil (ra)

During the early years of Islam, women encouraged their husbands to go forward for the cause of Islam. These women, like their men, were courageous, strong and thoroughly ready to give all for the sake of truth. The Sahabiyat (female companions of the Prophet - sallallahu alaihi wa sallam) had personalities which cannot be scoffed at. Here is a story of one such early women of Islam.

Atikah bint Amr ibn Nafil was one of the most beautiful women of Quraysh. She married AbdurRahman ibn Abu Bakr, who was extremely fearful of Allah, handsome and considerate of his parents. AbdurRahman was very much in love with Atikah. One day his father passed by and visited him in his home. When he saw how taken his son was with Atikah, he advised him to divorce her, as she had run away with his reason and overcome his senses.
              AbdurRahman told his father that he was not able to do this. His father said, "I endure you to do so!" Since AbdurRahman was not humanly able to oppose his father, he divorced his wife. However, after the divorce, he became extremely unhappy and even stopped eating and drinking. Abu Bakr went to him one day, but his son didn't even notice him. He realized that his son was totally devastated by the divorce. AbdurRahman was lying in the sun reciting the following: "I swear by Allah that I will never forget you as long as the sun rises, and as long as the ring-necked dove coos. I cannot imagine one such as me divorcing one like her, nor one like her being divorced without any reason. She is chaste, religious, and noble. She has a balanced personality and a logical mind." After hearing this, Abu Bakr advised his son to take her back. AbdurRahman obeyed his father, and they were reunited. Atikah remained with him until he was killed by an arrow while out with the Prophet -sallallahu alahi wasallam- on the day of Ta'if.

Atikah later married Umar during his Khilafah. Their union ended with his death at the hands of an assassin. Some time passed, then Az-Zubayr ibn Al-Awwam proposed to her and subsequently married her.

It was Atikah's custom to leave the house so that she could pray in the mosque. Az-Zubayr was possessive. It upset him to see her leaving the house to pray in the mosque. He appealed to her to stop, but she saw no reason to give up praying in the mosque in which she had prayed behind behind the Prophet -sallallahu alaihi wasallam, Abu Bakr, and Umar. Az-Zubayr knew that he should not forbid her from praying in the Prophet's mosque, because he knew the hadith in which the Prophet -sallallahu alaihi wasallam had said, "Do not forbid Allah's female slaves (from attending) His mosque". So one night when she went out to the mosque, Az-Zubayr hid himself in a place where she could not see him. As she passed by, he hit at her. After that incident, she decided not to go out to the mosque anymore. He would say to her, "Aren't you going out Atikah?" She would reply, "I used to go out (to pray) when people were people and they didn't want to harm anyone, but now I'll not go."

Then Az-Zubayr was martyred, and she subsequently married Muhammad ibn Abu Bakr, who was killed in Egypt. At this point, she decided that she would never marry anyone else after him, for fear that he too would be martyred. She once said, "If I were to marry all the inhabitants of the earth, they would all be killed." She was given the affectionate name "Zawjah Ash-Shuhada" - the wife of the martyrs.

From the book 'The Sahabiyat' by Jameelah Jones
              subhanAllah :jkk: amin

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

Comment

Re: Atikah bint Nafil (ra)

MashaAllah :inlove: May Allah shower His blessings over these amazing women and allow us to follow in their footsteps and meet them in Jannah..Allahuma ameen.

Comment

those that posed the stories, can u plz also include ur sources

Comment

Two Women Who Stood Up to Fir’awn

Ibn Kathir commented on the verse: “And Allah has set forth an example for those who believe: the wife of Fir’awn, when she said: “My Lord! Build for me a home with You in Paradise, and save me from Fir’awn and his work, and save me from the wrong-doers.” [at-Tahrim; 11].

Qatadah said: “Fir’awn was the most tyrannical and disbelieving person on Earth, and by Allah, his disbelief did not affect his wife when she decided to obey her Lord.”

Abu ‘Uthman an-Nahdi reported that Sulayman said: “Fir’awn’s wife was tortured in the heat of the Sun. When her torturers would take a break and walk away, the Angels would shade her with their wings, and she would see her home in Paradise.”

al-Qasim bin Abi Bazzah said:

“Fir’awn’s wife asked who won, and it was said to her: “Musa and Harun won.” So, she would say: “I believe in the Lord of Musa and Harun.” Fir’awn said to those around him: “Look for the largest rock you can find. If she sticks to what she said, throw it on her. If she retracts what she said, she will remain my wife.” When they came to her, she looked towards the sky and saw her home in Paradise. So, she stuck to what she said and her soul was taken, and the rock was thrown on her lifeless body after her soul had been taken.” The scholars say regarding her statement: “My Lord! Build for me a home with You in Paradise” that she chose her neighbor (Allah) before mentioning where she wanted to live (a home in Paradise).

Abu al-’Aliyah said:

“Fir’awn’s wife believed because of the wife of Fir’awn’s treasurer. What happened was that this woman was sitting and combing the hair of Fir’awn’s daughter one day, and the comb fell from her hand. So, she said: “May whoever disbelieves in Allah be destroyed!” Fir’awn’s daughter said to her: “You have a lord besides my father?” She replied: “The Lord of me, your father, and everything is Allah.” So, Fir’awn’s daughter hit her and went to tell her father.

Fir’awn sent to her, saying: “You worship a lord besides me?” She said: “Yes. The Lord of you, I, and everything is Allah, and I worship Him.” So, Fir’awn tortured her by putting her on a stake and stretching out her arms and legs and setting loose snakes on her body. One day, when she was in such a state, he came to her and said: “Will you give up?” She replied: “The Lord of you, I, and everything is Allah.” He said to her: “I will kill your son if you do not do not go back from what you said.” She said: “Do whatever you want,” and he killed her son, and she could hear his soul calm her down by saying to her: “Be happy, my mother! You have such and such reward with Allah!”

She remained patient until Fir’awn came to her another day, and she said the same to him as she had before. So, he killed another of her sons, and she could hear his soul calming her down as well. Fir’awn’s wife heard all of this, and this caused her to become a believer. Allah took away the soul of the wife of Fir’awn’s treasurer, and Fir’awn’s wife suddenly realized the reward, status, and honor that this woman had in Paradise.

So, she increased in her faith and certainty until Allah caused Fir’awn to discover her faith, and he said to his followers: “What do you know about Asiyah bint Muzahim?” They replied by praising her, and he said to them: “She worships someone besides me!” They said: “Kill her,” and he placed her on a device that stretched her arms and legs away from her body. So, Asiyah called upon her Lord, saying: “My Lord! Build for me a home with You in Paradise!” Fir’awn happened to walk by when she said this, and she smiled because she saw her home in Paradise, and Fir’awn said to those watching: “Aren’t you amazed by her insanity? She smiles while we are torturing her?!”

So, Allah took her soul away to Paradise, and may Allah be Pleased with her…”

['Tafsir al-Qur'an al-'Adhim'; 4/504-505]

Regarding the story of the woman who was combing the hair of Fir’awn’s daugher, there is a supporting narration in the ‘Musnad’ (1/309 and 4/295) that was declared authentic by Ahmad Shakir from Ibn ‘Abbas said that the Messenger of Allah :saw: said:

“ When it was the night of my Isra‘, I sensed a beautiful, sweet scent. So, I said: “Jibril, what is this beautiful scent ?” He replied: “This is the scent of the woman who combed the hair of Fir’awn’s daughter, and her children.” I said: “And what is her story?”" And he then related a story similar to what was mentioned by Ibn Kathir, with the difference of a few details.

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

Comment

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

Comment

masha Allah, great thread!
                        They want to extinguish Allah's Light with their mouths, but Allah will not allow except that His Light should be perfected even though the disbelievers hate (it).)- It is He Who has sent His Messenger with guidance and the religion of truth, to make it superior over all religions even though the idolators hate (it).) Surah Al-Tawbah 32-33

Comment

The Sahabiyat: The Female Companions of the Prophet Muhammed

Asalam Walaykum Wramatullah,

Here are a few stories of the early women of Islam, for knowledge and inspiration.

__________________________________________________ __
                          Nasibah Umm 'Amarah
                          bint Ka'b ibn 'Awf al-Ansariyah

Umm 'Amarah was an important Companion and a great fighter for Allah's cause. She was right acting, ardent and devoted. She strove for Allah, relying on Him alone. She converted to Islam during the early days and was present at the second pledge of Al-'Aqabah at which she swore allegiance to the Prophet (saw) along with her first husband Zaid ibn 'Asim, who dies after the Battle of Badr. They had two sons, Abdullah and Habib, who were both Companions of the Prophet (saw)

Nasibah bint Ka'b was also present at the Battle of Uhud with her second husband, Ghaziya ibn 'Amr and her two sons. One morning, she set out with them for the battlefield to give water to the injured. Nasibah had brought a sword, a bow and a quiver of arrows as well as her water-skin and bandages. Soon after the batle had begun, she reached the place where the Prophet (saw) had taken up his position on relatively high ground. He was with some of his closest Companions and the battle was going in the Muslims favour.

The Muslims continued to advance until the way into the enemy camp was open. They were tempted by the booty and began to surge into the enemy camp seeking plunder. The fifty archers chosen to guard the rear of the army saw their companions taking spoils of war and felt that they would lose out. So, totally neglecting the Prophet's (saw) command not to leave their post no matter what happened, they left their post, assuming that the battle was over. Their commander, 'Abdullah ibn Jubair, was left with only a few archers.

When the enemy realised what was happening, they set off for the post where the Muslim archers were stationed and killed the remaining few. Then the enemy calvary attacked the unguarded ranks of the Believers. Some of the Quraysh enemy, who had begun to flee, rejoined the battle causing some Muslims to lose heart and run away. Other faithful Muslims fought on, but the tide had now turned against the Muslims.

Once Nasibah realised that the Muslims wer being defeated, she joined the Prophet (saw) with a sword, a bow and a quiver full of arrows. She began shooting arrows until they were all used up. Ibn Qami'ah, an unbeliever from one of the clans on the outskirts of Makkah, was shouting "Where is Muhammed? May I not survive if he survives." Then Ibn Qami'ah recognised the Prophet (saw) and struck at him. The bow was averted by Talhah who was standing next to the Prophet (saw). Talhah then threw himself in the direction of the sword and the Muslims closed in around the Prophet :saw: and protected him. Umm 'Amarah was a part of the human barrier which protected the Prophet (saw). Ibn Qami'ah struck her and she struck him, but he was wearing two coats of armour which protected him from her blows. However, Ibn Qami'ah struck Umm 'Amarah on her neck so severly that her wound took one year to heal.

Umm 'Amarah had the following to say about the Battle of Uhud, "The people had left the Prophet (saw) exposed and only a few, not more than ten, remained and my husband, my sons and myself were among them. We defended him and the people were moving around in a defeated state. I did not have my sheild with me. The Prophet (saw) saw a man with a shield, so he said 'Give your shield to someone who is fighting' so the man gave his sheild to me and I used it to defend the Prophet (saw)"

So Nasibah continued fighting, treating the wounded and carrying water for them. When her son Abdullah was wounded and bleeding, she bandaged his wound and said to him, "Rise and fight the people, my son" Upon hearing this the Prophet (saw) said "And who is capable of bearing what you bear, Umm 'Amarah?"

The Prophet (saw) was very pleased with Nasibah after her bravery at Uhud and he prayed to Allah to make Nasibah and her family his companions in Paradise.

The people also thought well of Nasibah. When 'Umar ibn al-Khattab was brought some very fine silk cloth, someone suggested that he send it to Safiyan bint 'Ubaydah, the wife of 'Abdullah ibn 'Umar. He said, "I will send it to someone who has more right to it than Safiyah bint 'Ubaydah. I will send it to Nasibah Umm 'Amarah, for I heard the Prophet (saw) say 'On the day of Uhud whether I looked to the right of the left, I saw Nasibah fighting round about me.'

Nasibah also showed her bravery by being present at the pledge of Ridwan, when the Muslims swore to stand by the Prophet (saw) to the death.

After the death of the Prophet (saw) she took part in the fighting against Musaylimah, the false prophet, in Yamamah. She went to Abu Bakr, The Khalifah, to seek permission to join the expedition with Khalid ibn al-Walid against Musaylimah. Abu Bakr said, "We know your worth in war, so go out in the name of Allah" Abu Bakr committed her to Khalid's charde and she fought bravely at Yamamah. She was wounded in eleven different places and had her hand chopped off. Her son, Habib, was also killed.

After Musaylimah had been defeated and killed the war was over, Nasibah returned home. Khalid ibn al-Walid came there to treat her hand with hot oil, to seal the wound and stop the bleeding. The hot oil was even more painful than having her hand cut off.

There is a story that 'Ikrimah narrated, that Nasibah went to the Prophet (saw) and said, "I see that everything goes to men, and I do not see anything mentioned for women." Then the following verses of the Qur'an were revealed

Surah Al-Azhab 33:35

(35)

Thus Nasibah Umm 'Amarah was prepared to fight and sacrifice her own life to defend that of the Prophet (saw). She is a true example of bravery and devotion and her strength of faith is inspiring.
                          Last edited by Foulana; 03-03-10, 01:20 AM.

"How often we cry over Fate, but abundant good lies just behind it. O soul, it is goodness, even if it arrives after a while."

Comment

The Sahabiyat: The Female Companions of the Prophet Muhammed

Sumayyah bint Khayyat

Sumayyah was a truly great woman whos faith in Allah was tested to the limites of human endurance and yet she remained unshakeable, as her story reveals.

She was a slave of Abu Hudhayfah of the Bani Makhzum in Makkah, while Yasir was a conferderate of Abu Hudhayfah. Sumayyah and Yasir were married and had two sons.

Many years later when Sumayyah and Yasir grew old and their son, 'Ammar, was a young man, the Prophet began to teach the word of Islam. They heard the Qur'an and believed in the revelation sent to the Prophet (saw). To take such a stand in the early days of Islam when few believed or were willing to follow the Prophet (saw) shows that they had very strong Imam. In fact, Sumayyah was the seventh person to embrace Islam.

Beacause Sumayyah, Yasir and 'Ammar were poor and they had no tribe or family to support them or some to their aid, they were persecuted terribly by the polytheists of Makkah who wanted them to give up Islam and go back to idol worship. The Quraysh used to torture 'Ammar, Yasir and Sumayyah in the scorching hear on an open plain called Ramda'. The Prophet (saw) passed them one day and said, "Patience, O family of Yasir, Allah will not punish any of you by fire".

Abu Jahl, one of the leaders of Quraysh, used to beat and torture Sumayyah so that she would give up her faith but she never did. One day, in a fit of rage, Abu Jahl picked up a spear and pierced Sumayyah through her mid section and she died. Yasir was also matyred. All of this took place before the migration to Madinah.

When Abu Jahl was killed during the Battle of Badr, the Prophet (saw) said to 'Ammar "Allah has killed your mother's murderer"

Hence, Sumayyah was the first matyr in Islam, the first Muslim killed for the sake of Allah swt. She withstood her torture bravely and had firm faith in her heart, thus making her a truely remarkable and inspirational lady.

"How often we cry over Fate, but abundant good lies just behind it. O soul, it is goodness, even if it arrives after a while."

Comment

Re: The Sahabiyat: The Female Companions of the Prophet Muhammed

Umm Salamah
                              Hind bint Abi Umayyah ibn al-Mughirah

Hind was an eminent Muhajirah, who possessed intelligence, integrity, maturity and beauty. She was married to Abu Salamah 'Abdullah ibn 'Abdul'l-Asad, who was Abu Talib's nephew. They were both among the first people to accept Islam.

They were badly persecuted by Quraysh and when life in Makkah became unbearable, the Prophet (saw) gave Umm Salamah and her husband permission to emigrate to Abyssinia.

However, they subsequently returned to Makkah when they heard that the situation had eased and t be near to the Prophet (saw). However, Quraysh resumed their ill treatment of the Muslims and so Umm Salamah and her husband were among the first people to leave for Madinah. They left a year before the Pledge at Al-'Aqabah.

Umm Salamah said that when Abu Salamah decided to set out for Madinah, he saddled his camel for her, mounted her on it with her son, Salamah, and then set out leading the camel.

When the men of Bani al-Mughirah of Bani Makhzum (Umm Salamah's tribe) saw him, they got up and said,"As far as you are concerned, you can do what you like, but what about your wife? Do you suppose that we will let you take her away?" So they snatched the camel's reins from his hands and took Umm Salamah and her son away.

Abu Salamah's family, The Bani Abu'I-Asad, were angry at this and said, "We will not leave our son with her seeing as you have torn her from our tribesman" so they dragged Salamah with such force that they dislocated his arm, while the Bani Mughirah kept Umm Salamah with them and Abu Salamh went to Madinah. Thus Umm Salamah was separtated from her husband and her son.

She used to go out every morning and sit in the valley weaping continously. When a year had passed, one of her cousins, belonging to the Bani Al-Mughirah passed, saw her plight and took pity on here. He said to his tribesmen, "Why don't you let this woman go? You have separated husband, wife and child." So they said to her, "You main rejoin your husband if you like"

Since Umm Salamah did not want to leave her son with the Bani Abu''l Asad in Makkash, while she went to Madinah, some people asked them to return Salamah to his mother. Having been re-united with her son, Umm Salamah saddled her samel, took her son in her arms and set out for Madinah alone, hoping to get food from any fellow travellers she met on the road.

When she reached Tan'im she met 'Uthman ibn Talha ibn Abi Talha, brother of Bani Abdu'd-Dar, who asked her where she was going and if she was alone. She told him that except for Allah and her little boy, she was entirely alone. He replied that he would accompany her until she reached Madinah and took hold of her camel's halter to walk along with her while she was riding.

Umm Salamah later said, "Never had I met an Arab more noble than him.". When they halted, he would make the camel kneel for her so she could dismount, unload it , and tie ot to a tree. Then he would go a distance from her and lie under the shade of a tree. When the cool evening camel, he would bring the camel, tell her to mount and when she was firmly in the saddlem he would take the halter and lead it until he brought her to a hald He did this all the way to Madinah.

When he saw the village of Bani 'Amr ibn 'Awf in Quba, he said, "Your husband is in this village, so enter it with the Blessings of Allah". Then he went on his way back to Makkah. Thus Umm Salamah and her husband were reunited in Madinah.

Abu Salamah, fought in the Battle of Badr in which the Muslims were victorious. He also fought in the Battle of Uhud, in which he was severly wounded. While Umm Salamah was nursing his wounds, she said to him "I have been told that is a woman's husband dies and he is one of the inhabitants of Paradise and she does not marry after him, Allah will join them in Paradise, And like wise if the woman dies first and the man is left. I will not marry after you"

Abu Salamah said "Marry after me if I die first" and then he prayed, "Oh Allah, Grant Umm Salamah a better man thatn me and do not let her be harmed"

When Abu Salamah dies, the Prophet (saw) prayed for him and told Umm Salamah to said "Surely we are from Allah and to Him we shall return. Oh Allah, reward me for my affliction and give me something better than it in return.". Umm Salamah said this and then asked, "Who could be better than Abu Salamah?"

Whem Umm Salamah had completed her 'iddah Abu Bakr proposed to her. She refused his proposal. Then 'Umar proposed and she turned him down as well. When the Prophet (saw) proposed to her she said, "Oh Messenger of Allah, I have three characteristics. I am an extreemly jealous woman and I am afraid that you will see in me somthing that will anger you and cause Allah to punish me. Secondly, I am a woman advanced in age and thirdly, I have young children" The Prophet (saw) replied, "As for you jealousy, I pray Allah removes it from you. As for you age, I am afflicted with the same problem as you. As for your children, you family is my family".

So Umm Salamah married the Prophet (saw) during the sixth year of Hijrah. Thus Allah answered her prayer and gave her better than Abu Salamah.

Umm Salamah was a wise woman and a good advisor. She counselled the Prophet on the Day of Hudaybiyah, when he made a treaty with the people of Makkah. After the agreement had been made, the Prophet had agreed not to perform the 'Umrah that year, he told the Companions to sacrifice their animals and cut or shave their hair. But not one man got up, even after the Prophet (saw) told them three times. They had been shocked at hoe generous the Prophet (saw) had been to the Makkans in making the agreement.

The Messenger of Allah (saw) went to Umm Salamah and told her waht had happened. She said to him, "If you wish them to obey you then you must leave them and not say a word to them until you have sacrificed you animal and shaved your hair"

The Prophet (saw) followed Umm Salamah's suggestion, When the Companions saw that the Prophet (saw) had sacrificed his animal and shaved his hair, they anxiously arose to do the same.

Umm Salamah took part in the conquest of Khaybar. She also narrated ahadith directly from the Prophet (saw) and form Abu Salamah and Fatimah as-Zohra. She died in either 59 or 61 AH at the age of 84. Abu Hurayrah lead her funeral prayer and she was buried in al-Baqi in Madinah.

Umm Salamah migrated twice for the love of Allah. Her migration to Madinah was a particularly painful one and she endured a long separation from her husband and son. She then endured the death of her husband, but because of her patience and faith, Allah gaver her the honour of being Umm al-Mu'mineen as one of the wives of the Prophet (saw)

Comment

Re: The Sahabiyat: The Female Companions of the Prophet Muhammed

Safiyyah bint Abdu'l Muttalib

Safiyyah was the aunt of the Prophet (saw). She and Hamza were the children of Hala, the wife of Abdu'l-Muttalib. Hala had been Abdu'l-Muttablib's last wife and their wedding had taken place on the same day as the wedding of the Prophet (saw) parents.

Safiyyah was a great lady, who accepted Islam early and took the oath of allegiance to the Prophet (saw) and then migrated to Madinah. Before Islam, she had been married to Harith ibn Harb ibn 'Umayyah. She then married Al-'Awwam ibn Khuwaylid ibn Asad, who was the brother of thbe Prophet's first wife, Khadijah. By him, she had three sons, as-Zubayr, as-Sa'ib and Abdu'l-Ka'bah. Al-'Awwam died when the children were still young, leaving Saffiyah widowed. She did not marry after that.

She was present at the Battle of mUhud when the Muslims suffered defeat. At one stage in the battle, she stood up with a lance in her hand and said to the enemy, "Are you trying to defeat the Prophet?" She waved the lance in the enemied faces. When the Prophet (saw) saw her he told her son, az-Zubayr, to take her back beacuse he sis not awnt her to see her brother, Hamza, who had been killed in battle. As-Zubayr told his mother that the Prophet (saw) had ordered her to go back she asked, "I have heard that my brother has been mutilated and that has happend for Allah's sake. Allah has fully reconciled us to what has happened. I will remain calm and patient if Allah wills."

When az-Zubayr told the Prophet (saw) of what his mother has said, the Prophet (saw) told him to leave her alone. So Saffiyah came and saw Hamza and prayed over him and said, "Inna lillah wa inna ilayhi raji'un" she asked Allah's forgiveness for him. Then the Prophet (saw) orderd the Muslims to bury Hamza.

Safiyyah also took part in the Battle of Khandaq (Trench) in 5 AH. The Jews had broken their treaty with the Prophet (saw) and had united with the non-believers of Arabia to launch an attack on Madinah. The Prophet (saw) put his wives and womenfolk in a fortress in order to protect them while he and his Companions were defending Madinah. The fortress was guarded by Hassan ibn Thabit. One day a Jew was walking around the fortress, and by chance Safiyyah saw him and realised he was a spy, who would inform the enemy that the fortress contained only women and children and they may attack it. Safiyyah said to Hassan, "Oh Hassan, this Jew is going around the fortress and the Prophet (saw) and his Companions are busy, so go down and kill him" Hassan said, "May Allah forgive you, you know that I cannot be involved in this" Hassan was unable to kill the spy perhaps because of some illness that prevented him from fighting.

When Saffiyah heard this, she got up, took a tent pole, went down to the fortress to where the spy was, and hit him so hard that he died, in order to protect the womenfolk of the Prophet (saw).

Safiyyah also participated in the Battle of Khaybar.

'Umar ibn al-Khattab allocated 6,000 Dirhams as a yearly stipend for Safiyyah during his Khalifah. She narrated hadith from the Prophet (saw) and others narrated from her. She was a great poetess and recited poetry on the deaths of her father and brother Hamza.

Safiyyah died during the Khilafah of 'Umar in the year 26 AH, at the age of 73. 'Umar buried her in al-Baqi in Madinah. Other reports say that she dies during the Khilafah of 'Uthman.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X