Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corporal punishment in Islam

Hello,

I am not a Muslim, but I am trying to learn about the religion.

Does Islam use corporal punishment, such as whipping or flogging, for crimes such as adultery or pre-marital sex?

I have heard some say this is done in Islam. Is it done in all sects of Islam?

Does the Koran itself order whipping or flogging?

When violence is used as punishment, who carries it out?

Thank you

Re: Corporal punishment in Islam

:start:

Hi,

MashAllah ThabarakAllah good that you are learning about Islam.

Without any doubt, it is clearly mentioned in the Qur'an:

The woman and the man guilty of illegal sexual intercourse, flog each of them with a hundred stripes. Let not pity withhold you in their case, in a punishment prescribed by Allah, if you believe in Allah and the Last Day. And let a party of the believers witness their punishment. (This punishment is for unmarried persons guilty of the above crime but if married persons commit it, the punishment is to stone them to death, according to Allah's Law). {Noble Qur'an 24:2}

Narrated Abu Huraira:
    Allah's Apostle judged that the unmarried person who was guilty of illegal sexual intercourse be exiled for one year and receive the legal punishment (i.e., be flogged with one-hundred stripes) .
    [Sahih al-Bukhari,Volume 8, Book 82, Number 819]

This is the punishment for the fornicators
    www.ashaabulquran.com
    www.aladabalmufrad.wordpress.com

Comment

Don't know about all the sects though

This is not violence dear Hammurab. Its the perfect justice.

There's usually a man hired for the punishing purpose only by the goverment who carries out the task
      www.ashaabulquran.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sulaiman Harun View Post
        Don't know about all the sects though

This is not violence dear Hammurab. Its the perfect justice.

There's usually a man hired for the punishing purpose only by the goverment who carries out the task
        I'm open to discussion on whether or not it is justice.

But by definition, it is violence. (The exertion of physical force to injure).

Again, I will consider the premise that some violence can be justified, but to claim you can non-violently whip someone or non-violently kill someone by bludgeoning them to death with rocks is unreasonable.

Comment

Ok, violence does mean intense force but mostly non-Muslims take it as a very gruesome sort of thing to do that's why I said that
          www.ashaabulquran.com

Comment

That's why I was saying to read the Qur'an first.

To study Islam, you must first understand Tawhid.

Understand the unity, and the greatness of Allah (swt).

There is only one God. :lailah:

Only one Creator. And He has provided us with the way to be successful. It is all clear for us.

Once you can accept Allah (swt), and that He is One, understanding the wisdom behind His Rulings becomes not only easy, but your life.

Asking these kinds of questions and debating Shar'iah is not the place to start. But we will try to be helpful, :insha:
            Last edited by AbuMusaab; 21-07-07, 07:32 AM.
            They have indeed rejected (the Message): so they will know soon (enough) the truth of what they mocked at! - al-Qur'an 26:6

Comment

MashAllah ThabarakAllah good point bro AbuMusaab
              www.ashaabulquran.com

Comment

Ok, violence does mean intense force but mostly non-Muslims take it as a very gruesome sort of thing to do that's why I said that
                To be honest, I would hope that Muslims (or anyone) would consider it very gruesome to beat someone with a whip, or to kill someone with stones.

Again, as to whether or not it is justified, that is a separate discussion, but I find it extremely alarming that anyone would look on this kind of thing as anything other than gruesome.

If it is not rude to ask, do you live in a country where this is practiced?

Comment

Nope, I live Canada used to live UAE where this law was somewhat practiced
                  www.ashaabulquran.com

Comment

What punishment does a person deserve for committing such a filthy abominated act? Simply, 100 lashes

If you give the 1 year in jail, then next year he'll do the same. But after being terribly beaten, he won't even think of it again!
                    www.ashaabulquran.com

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMusaab View Post
                      That's why I was saying to read the Qur'an first.

To study Islam, you must first understand Tawhid.

Understand the unity, and the greatness of Allah (swt).

There is only one God. :lailah:

Only one Creator. And He has provided us with the way to be successful. It is all clear for us.

Once you can accept Allah (swt), and that He is One, understanding the wisdom behind His Rulings becomes not only easy, but your life.

Asking these kinds of questions and debating Shar'iah is not the place to start. But we will try to be helpful, :insha:
                      These are questions of conscience, and I cannot in good faith defer them until after I have made commitments to agree with answers I have not received.

I am not debating, I am asking for clarity. If the answer is "Yes, whipping and death by stoning are practiced", then that is the answer. But it is still violence, and my desire for a clear and open understanding of Islam would not be well served by euphemism.

Comment

What punishment does a person deserve for committing such a filthy abominated act? Simply, 100 lashes

If you give the 1 year in jail, then next year he'll do the same. But after being terribly beaten, he won't even think of it again!
                        So then, this reasoning is consistent with the teachings and practice of Islam?

I am not making commentary on whether it is right or wrong, but this is a fulcrum point of my own choice.

The statement "After being terribly beaten, he won't ever think of it again!" is reflective of Islam as a religion?

Comment

No no no, you are absolutely wrong. Isn't hitting by a whip a terrible beating for a terrible punishment?

The punishment is so result-productive that it will completely erase the crime!
                          www.ashaabulquran.com

Comment

If you are not looking for opinion, and just looking for the answers, there were provided in point 2. Since the answer was provided, opinion followed. There is "corporal punishment" in Islam for certain crimes.
                            They have indeed rejected (the Message): so they will know soon (enough) the truth of what they mocked at! - al-Qur'an 26:6

Comment

No no no, you are absolutely wrong. Isn't hitting by a whip a terrible beating for a terrible punishment?

The punishment is so result-productive that it will completely erase the crime!
                              Is what you are saying here indicative of Muslim belief? Does all Islam think that way?

To "erase" something with terrible violence and beating, is this common to all of Islam?

What other things call for "terrible" responses? Again, I'm not asking for justification, just a list of what things Islam teaches should be responded to with violence and "terrible beating".

Comment

Working...
                              X