No announcement yet.

Confused about zakat, do I have to pay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused about zakat, do I have to pay?

I don’t have any income of my own but I receive money from my mother, currently rely on parents. I am an adult.

I’m confused if I need to pay zakat? I have never done so and I’m unsure if I have missed out on an obligation?

My mother gives a certain amount each month, almost always below nisab value (gold and silver) and I use whatever I need for myself. BUT sometimes it is above nisab during special occasions such as eid, etc. She also gives me her debit card that I can use and this has much more than the nisab value in it, do I pay zakat on that even though this isn’t technically my wealth? I can use the money on the debit card to buy food when outside, anything I need but I don’t have complete freedom when using it as it’s still her card. Does zakat have to he payed on either the card I get or the monthly amount that is sent?

Usually the amount available from the monthly sum falls to almost zero or way below nisab during the year, does that have any effect?

Every person who is sane, an adult (reached puberty), Muslim and sahib-un-nisab must pay Zakat as a duty.

To be a sahib-un-nisab means you possess more wealth than the level of nisab for a period of one lunar year or more.

Comment

Originally posted by anonymou View Post
      I don’t have any income of my own but I receive money from my mother, currently rely on parents. I am an adult.

I’m confused if I need to pay zakat? I have never done so and I’m unsure if I have missed out on an obligation?

My mother gives a certain amount each month, almost always below nisab value (gold and silver) and I use whatever I need for myself. BUT sometimes it is above nisab during special occasions such as eid, etc. She also gives me her debit card that I can use and this has much more than the nisab value in it, do I pay zakat on that even though this isn’t technically my wealth? I can use the money on the debit card to buy food when outside, anything I need but I don’t have complete freedom when using it as it’s still her card. Does zakat have to he payed on either the card I get or the monthly amount that is sent?

Usually the amount available from the monthly sum falls to almost zero or way below nisab during the year, does that have any effect?

May Allah bless your mother, it seems she may be paying too much!

As Woahthere has said, Zakat is an annual obligation on wealth that has remained over the previous year. You convert the excess wealth - i.e. the cash/ assets (e.g. including stocks and shares) into gold or silver and check to see if it is over the nisab level i.e. 20 dinars of gold or 200 dirhams of silver.

1 dinar = 4.25 grams, so 20 dinars: 20 x 4.25 = 85 grams of gold.
      1 dirham = 2.275 grams, so 200 dirhams: 200 x 2.275 = 455 grams of silver.

The current gold price is $62.80 per gram at time of writing. So 20 dinars (85 grams) would be $5,338.00
      The current silver price is $0.78 per gram at time of writing. So 200 dirhams (455 grams) would be $354.90

The Nisab is according to the lowest amount according to the principle of Anfali Fuqara (doing that which is best for the poor).

If your wealth that you had at the beginning of the previous year (that has remained until present), is above $354.90 then you must pay 1/40th or 2.5% of that wealth.

Notes:
      • For stocks/shares you pay according to the current value of your holdings subtract the property/plant/equipment amount. E.g. If I hold shares in ABC company, and 60% of it's assets are in property/plant/equipment, I use the value of 40% of my shares' worth on the market in calculations of nisab and zakat.
      • Zakat is not payed on property (e.g. your own house or one you rent out) unless that property was bought for capital gain.
      • Zakat is not payed on personal belongings (e.g. your clothes, phone, food etc.).
      • Zakat is upon any/all goods that were bought with the intention of capital gain (i.e. trading/selling them off for a higher price).
      • You do not pay Zakat for others from your own wealth - it is an individual obligation.
      • You pay Zakat on your own wealth. Others must pay on their own wealth.
      • Zakat must be payed on wealth that is both possessed and owned by you yourself.
      • Children do not pay Zakat (a child is defined legally as one who is not bulugh e.g. a girl before her first menstruation, a boy before his first wet dream).
      • You do not pay Zakat on your income unless that income remains (e.g. in a bank account or in your possession) for over a year.
      • You become first liable for Zakat after your wealth as an adult exceeds the Nisab for a year - the ulama recommend noting down the date your wealth exceeds the Nisab if you can and then paying Zakat (if your wealth remains above it) a year after that, subsequently paying zakat annually on that date.
      • If you own a farm, consult a scholar.
      • Although I have given the answer according to Hanafi fiqh, however I am not aware of any differences between the schools with regards to what I have said (not with the Ghayr Muqalideen either).
      Sources:

Comment

As with all kinds of questions relating to fiqh, I recommend you go to your local imam/shaykh that you pray behind and ask them to clarify if you are confused.

Comment

Originally posted by Muhammad Hasan View Post

1 dinar = 4.25 grams, so 20 dinars: 20 x 4.25 = 85 grams of gold.
          1 dirham = 2.275 grams, so 200 dirhams: 200 x 2.275 = 455 grams of silver.

The current gold price is $62.80 per gram at time of writing. So 20 dinars (85 grams) would be $5,338.00
          The current silver price is $0.78 per gram at time of writing. So 200 dirhams (455 grams) would be $354.90

The Nisab is according to the lowest amount according to the principle of Anfali Fuqara (doing that which is best for the poor).

If your wealth that you had at the beginning of the previous year (that has remained until present), is above $354.90 then you must pay 1/40th or 2.5% of that wealth.
          Subhanallah, made a mistake in the calculation of silver:

1 dirham = 2.975 grams (as 10:7 is the ratio of dinar to dirham).

Hence 200 dirhams is 595 grams.

Therefore, the silver price being $0.78 per gram, 200 dirhams of silver = $464.10.

Thus you would pay Zakat this year if your nisab held since a year ago amounted to over $464.10.

Comment

It should also be noted that there are valid differences between the Ulama on the gram weights of Dinar (mithqal)/Dirham:

The indian hanafi ulama say 20 dinars is 87.48 grams.
            The turkish hanafi ulama say 20 dinars is 80.18 grams.

The egyptian ulama (of the four madahib), that I gave my answers according to, however say 20 dinars is 85 grams (and silver being 595).

Perhaps it would be safer to go with the opinion of the turkish ulama, Allahu Alam.

Comment

Again I would recommend you go to your local ulama and take their fatwa on that.

Comment

Working...
              X