Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I effectively retain my forgotten memorisation?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How do I effectively retain my forgotten memorisation?



    Assalamualaikum.


    I am 15 years old and I have memorised around 10 juz of the quran. However, I can only recall about 3 juz (that being juz 'amma, Juz 29, and surah an'am) with the other 7 juz being either totally forgotten or terribly scattered around my memory. I attend daily hifz class and I'm currently given the task to read a minimum of 1 juz (of my memorisation) by looking from the mushaf from my teacher. I don't know whether I will retain my forgotten memorisation by doing this as I feel that it is not the most effective method of doing revision. In the past, I've tried other methods such as actually repeating ayahs in a page until I can recite the page from memory without any mistakes (I did this for about 2 pages a day). But I think this method is slow and not effective considering how much I have memorised. In addition, it will take a long time to do cycles of all of my memorisation, nevermind a cycle. Has anyone ever been stuck in this similar situation before? And if anyone did, what methods did you use to fully retain your lost memorisation?


    Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations on how to effectively retain forgotten memorisation?


    Thank you in Advance, Jazakallah Khair.

    Wassalamualaikum.













  • #2
    و عليكم السلام و رحمة الله و بركاته

    Try using the method here:
    https://www.ummah.com/forum/forum/li...ever-forget-it

    Comment


    • #3
      Do you know Arabic?
      https://www.ummah.com/forum/forum/lo...-qur-an-courseI am just a simple nomad.

      Ephemeral reader

      Comment


      • #4
        I cannot speak Arabic but I can read the Quran fluently.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by TF_1901 View Post
          I cannot speak Arabic but I can read the Quran fluently.
          Sorry for the late reply. I did not notice you replied to the thread.

          My advice from personal experience is to read the Madinah Book 1 and spend the next year learn words from the Qur'an. You will see your hifdh dramatically improve with your new found knowledge.

          Also spend time listening to the Surahs rather than reading them. Like 20-30 times. Watch tafsir so your brain establishes a personal connection with the surah.

          Also eat healthy to improve memory sharpness and this Also means avoiding unhealthy things like sugar including fizzy drinks. Diet severely impacts the mental health and the bodies growth.
          https://www.ummah.com/forum/forum/lo...-qur-an-courseI am just a simple nomad.

          Ephemeral reader

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by TF_1901 View Post
            I cannot speak Arabic but I can read the Quran fluently.

            As an Arabic student and having learning Arabic for two years.

            When you learn Arabic your hifdh and relationship with the Qur'an dramatically improves, perhaps like the difference between Heaven and Earth.. And you will memorize ayat of the Qur'an much quicker.

            Also remember to actually practise the Surahs you have learnt even in night prayer.
            Last edited by Kiro; 06-01-20, 10:08 PM.
            https://www.ummah.com/forum/forum/lo...-qur-an-courseI am just a simple nomad.

            Ephemeral reader

            Comment


            • #7
              If you are serious in keeping retaining your memorization in the long time. Make dua for Allah's help. And memorize this in 6 months.

              [PDF] 80% Quranic Words - QuranPDA
              www.quranpda.com › 80_Percent_...

              The rest of the 20% is something you will iron out over time.
              https://www.ummah.com/forum/forum/lo...-qur-an-courseI am just a simple nomad.

              Ephemeral reader

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by TF_1901 View Post

                Assalamualaikum.

                I am 15 years old and I have memorised around 10 juz of the quran. However, I can only recall about 3 juz (that being juz 'amma, Juz 29, and surah an'am) with the other 7 juz being either totally forgotten or terribly scattered around my memory. I attend daily hifz class and I'm currently given the task to read a minimum of 1 juz (of my memorisation) by looking from the mushaf from my teacher. I don't know whether I will retain my forgotten memorisation by doing this as I feel that it is not the most effective method of doing revision. In the past, I've tried other methods such as actually repeating ayahs in a page until I can recite the page from memory without any mistakes (I did this for about 2 pages a day). But I think this method is slow and not effective considering how much I have memorised. In addition, it will take a long time to do cycles of all of my memorisation, nevermind a cycle. Has anyone ever been stuck in this similar situation before? And if anyone did, what methods did you use to fully retain your lost memorisation?


                Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations on how to effectively retain forgotten memorisation?


                Thank you in Advance, Jazakallah Khair.

                Wassalamualaikum.
                Try and read a Juz a day, of the 10 you memorized as a child. Listening to a recording along with the recitation in the beginning will be helpful. That's what I do when I have forgotten.

                A shaykh I know, he said, it is difficult for him to retain what he has memorized if he doesn't recite a Juz a day. Many Sufi Shaykhs, typically require their students to read a Juz a day (even if they haven't memorized).

                Read half in the morning and half in the evening. That's about 20-30 minutes per session. It is doable if you ask Allah for help. May Allah grant you success. Amin.
                Last edited by aMuslimForLife; 07-01-20, 01:06 AM.
                My Blog ---> Reflections of the Traveler http://baraka.wordpress.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by aMuslimForLife View Post

                  Try and read a Juz a day, of the 10 you memorized as a child. Listening to a recording along with the recitation in the beginning will be helpful. That's what I do when I have forgotten.

                  A shaykh I know, he said, it is difficult for him to retain what he has memorized if he doesn't recite a Juz a day. Many Sufi Shaykhs, typically require their students to read a Juz a day (even if they haven't memorized).

                  Read half in the morning and half in the evening. That's about 20-30 minutes per session. It is doable if you ask Allah for help. May Allah grant you success. Amin.
                  This is good. As memorization also needs application.

                  So therefore, I recommend for the original poster, to also try recite a longer surahs in salah such as in tahajud. And in Dhur and Fajr.I

                  ​​​​​​
                  https://www.ummah.com/forum/forum/lo...-qur-an-courseI am just a simple nomad.

                  Ephemeral reader

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Assalaamu alaikum warahmatullah.



                    You have memorized roughly 10 ajzaa


                    Step 1 : Strengthen one Juz' at a time:

                    D1 - Solidify Juz' 1
                    D2 - Recite from memory Juz' 1 and solidify Juz' 2
                    D3 - Recite from memory Juz '1, Juz' 2, solidify Juz' 3

                    Now spend the next three or four days, a week, etc, reciting from memory these three daily. Spread throughout day. Use times when you're waiting, travelling, or able to recite while simultaneously doing something else. You could use tahajjud also.

                    You should notice it becoming easier and easier and less time consuming and draining. More fluency will mean more enjoyment in recitation inshaaAllah.



                    Once those 3 are strengthened:


                    Step 2: A Two-day Cycle...

                    D1 - From memory - Juz' 1-3
                    D2 - Solidify Juz '4
                    ---
                    D1 - From memory - Juz' 1-3
                    D2 - From memory Juz' 4 and solidify Juz' 5
                    ---
                    D1 - From memory Juz' 1-3
                    D2 - From memory juz- 4 and 5 and solidify 6
                    ---
                    D1 - From memory Juz' 1-3
                    D2 - From memory Juz' 4-6



                    Now you'd have 6 solidified. Recite on one day, juz 1,2 and 3. Then on the following day, recite juz' 4,5 and 6.

                    Keep doing this for a number of days until you feel comfortable and fluent reciting. The point is you're strengthening the hifdh and you're also making it a habit. Something that you feel as though you have to do and without it your day is incomplete.




                    Now... Once that's achieved inshaaAllah:

                    Step 3: 3-day cycle.

                    D1 - Juz' 1-3 from memory as always
                    D2 - Juz' 4-6
                    D3 - Solidify Juz' 7
                    ---
                    D1 - Juz 1-3
                    D2 - juz' 4-6
                    D3 - from memory juz' 7 and work on 8
                    ---
                    D1 - Juz' 1-3
                    D2 - Juz' 4-6
                    D3 - Juz 7, 8 and work on juz' 9
                    ---
                    D1 - Juz' 1-3
                    D2 - Juz' 4-6
                    D3 - juz' 7-9

                    Keep doing this 3 day cycle for a couple of weeks inshaaAllah until you feel ready to move to a 4-day cycle where your fourth day is for your juz' 10 and your new memorization, inshaaAllah. Keep to that 4 day cycle for a while until you're doing 12 ajzaa' every 4 days and memorising, and so on....




                    Note: You should demonstrate to Allah Ta'aalaa in du'aa how fervently you want to retain and memorise His Kalaam . Also, try to keep away from music, junk media and sinning in general as much possible because these things keep us from the Qur'an most cause us to lose momentum and break routine.
                    Lastly, please make a strong intention to also learn Arabic. Don't be content with just memorization. As mentioned above, it will also help you with your hifdh aside from all the other benefits, inshaaAllah.


                    Allah Ta'aalaa accept and and make it easy for you.
                    Last edited by Fakhri-bin-Ali; 08-01-20, 07:22 PM.
                    LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAAH
                    -------------------------------------

                    ​​​​​NOTE: Please kindly avoid 'liking' my posts (Jazaa'akumullah khair)

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X