Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it haram to call the Prophet (SAW) 'Muhammad'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it haram to call the Prophet (SAW) 'Muhammad'?

Assalamo alaikum

I was listening to a lecture today and the speaker referred interchangably to the Prophet SAW as RasoolAllah, the Prophet but also simply Muhammad (SAW) A relative entered the house and became very upset and insisted that I turn it off.  I know growing up we would always use Rasool, Sayyiduna Muhammad (SAW) but never by just his name.  This relative insists that it is haram as the disbelievers referred to him (SAW) as 'ya Muhammad' as they did not believe in his rusul.  He said in ahadith he (saw) is never referred to as his name only.  Anyway, I want to know if this is considered something haram or is it a matter of manners?  I noticed non Arabic speakers often do this but I have never heard someone in Arabic do this so again don't know if it is a matter of etiquette or it is actually forbidden?

JazekumAllahu khairan

Deleted.
    Last edited by oshirowanen; 15-11-19, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Just to clarify it is about referring to his (Saw) name without prefixing it with sayidunna or rasool/Allah.  E.g. 'a man came to Muhammad (saw)....'

Comment

It's Wajib to send Salah on the Prophet(saws) when his name is mentioned for the 1st time in a gathering. It becomes Mustahab(encouraged) to send Salah upon him after the initial obligatory Du'a.

As for just saying "Muhammad"(saws), then the Quran prohibited the companions from addressing the Messenger like how they address one another. However, this doesn't necessarily apply when referring to the Prophet(saws). There's a famous Hadith where Abu Bakr(ra) said "whoever worshipped Muhammad, then Muhammad is dead. And whoever worships Allah who is Fee-Samaa.."

I wouldn't encourage just saying "Muhammad" because it's not a good habit, especially if you don't follow it with a Salawat. However, the person who told you to turn off the lecture is wrong and working based on culture/assumption. He would first need to prove that saying "Muhammad" is Haram by the consensus of the scholars.

Comment

Originally posted by AmantuBillahi View Post
          It's Wajib to send Salah on the Prophet(saws) when his name is mentioned for the 1st time in a gathering. It becomes Mustahab(encouraged) to send Salah upon him after the initial obligatory Du'a.

As for just saying "Muhammad"(saws), then the Quran prohibited the companions from addressing the Messenger like how they address one another. However, this doesn't necessarily apply when referring to the Prophet(saws). There's a famous Hadith where Abu Bakr(ra) said "whoever worshipped Muhammad, then Muhammad is dead. And whoever worships Allah who is Fee-Samaa.."

I wouldn't encourage just saying "Muhammad" because it's not a good habit, especially if you don't follow it with a Salawat. However, the person who told you to turn off the lecture is wrong and working based on culture/assumption. He would first need to prove that saying "Muhammad" is Haram by the consensus of the scholars.
          "..Abu Bakr praised and glorified Allah and said, No doubt! Whoever worshipped Muhammad, then Muhammad is dead, but whoever worshipped Allah, then Allah is Alive and shall never die." Then he recited Allah's Statement.:-- "(O Muhammad) Verily you will die, and they also will die." (39.30)... [Bukhari]

https://sunnah.com/bukhari/62/19

Comment

"Thus it is known that if a person says Ya Muhammad or Ya Rasool Allaah, not intending thereby to call upon him and seek his help, then there is nothing wrong with it, such as if he wants to call him to mind and remember him, such as if he reads a hadeeth and says Sall-Allaah ‘alayka ya Rasool-Allaah (May Allaah send blessings upon you, O Messenger of Allaah) or How great and beautiful are your words, O Messenger of Allaah. But saying Ya Muhammad is contrary to good manners, as explained above. "

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/1110...mad-o-muhammad

Comment

Hadith of the blind man:

The Prophet (Allah bless him and grant him peace) said: “Go make ablution (wudu), perform two rak’as of prayer, and then say:
              “Oh Allah, I ask You and turn to You through my Prophet Muhammad, the Prophet of mercy; O Muhammad (Ya Muhammad), I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight [and in another version: “for my need, that it may be fulfilled. O Allah, grant him intercession for me”].”

There's also the Hadith of the Sahabi whose leg fell asleep and said "Ya Muhammad" when encouraged to recall the person he loves (I can't find it on my phone at the moment, but it's famous).

Comment

There's also the Hadith of the Sahabi whose leg fell asleep and said "Ya Muhammad" when encouraged to recall the person he loves (I can't find it on my phone at the moment, but it's famous).

IslamQA weakens the authenticity of the reports, but doesn't criticize using the term "Muhammad":

"It was narrated from Sufyan ath-Thawri and Zuhayr ibn Mu‘awiyah, from Abu Ishaq, from ‘Abd ar-Rahman ibn Sa‘d who said: Ibn ‘Umar’s leg became numb and a man said to him: Mention the dearest of people to you. He said: Muhammad.

Narrated by al-Bukhari in al-Adab al-Mufrad; ad-Daaraqutni in al-‘Ilal, from Sufyan ath-Thawri with the wording mentioned above, but in the version narrated by ad-Daraqutni it says “O Muhammad.”

It was narrated by ‘Ali ibn al-Ja‘d in al-Musnad; Ibraaheem al-Harbi in Ghareeb al-Hadeeth; Ibn Sa‘d in at-Tabaqat; Ibn ‘Asakir in Tareekh Dimashq, from Zuhayr, with the wording: I came to Ibn ‘Umar and his leg had become numb, so I said: What is the matter with your leg? He said: Its nerves are contracting. I said: Call upon the dearest of people to you. He said: O Muhammad, and he was able to stretch it out.....(more examples are in the link)"

"..Secondly:

The fact that the dearest of people to Ibn ‘Umar, namely our Prophet Muhammad (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him), was mentioned – even if we assume the report is sound – does not mean that it was done by way of calling upon him for help. Rather it was merely mentioning him. There is a huge difference between the two matters.

Merely mentioning him is what was meant by some of the scholars who regarded this report as sound in their books, such as Imam an-Nawawi in al-Adhkar, Ibn Taymiyah in al-Kalim at-Tayyib and others. This way of treating numbness was used by the Arabs in the past; they thought that mentioning the beloved could make the blood flow in the veins and help get rid of the numbness. There are dozens of examples of this in Arabic poetry, which indicates that this was a kind of remedy used by the Arabs. For more information please refer to the book Buloogh al-Arab fi Ma‘rifat Ahwal al-‘Arab by al-Aloosi..."

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/1629...g-becomes-numb
                Last edited by AmantuBillahi; 31-10-19, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Correct pronounciation is Mohammad but people are used to write Muhammad.
                  There is no God but Allah and Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah.

Comment

JazekAllah khair AmantuBillahi , that is all very helpful.

Comment

Not sure if haram but it doesn't harm adding sallallahu alaihi wasallam. It takes 2-3 seconds to say it.

Comment

No.
                        You think you know more than my scholar's qiyās? He was more learned than you and all other scholars combined. Yeah, the devil was the greatest scholar too and look where his qiyās of fire being better than tīn got him. Sorry.

You follow your scholar's qiyās, and I will follow the Qur'ān and Sunnah.

Comment

Originally posted by Eyas Shah View Post
                          Correct pronounciation is Mohammad but people are used to write Muhammad.
                          I don't agree. Mo..... Like mow the grass. If so, I don't agree....
                          My Blog ---> Reflections of the Traveler http://baraka.wordpress.com

Comment

One of my Arab friend once corrected me on the pronounciation of Muhammad / Mohammad.
                            There is no God but Allah and Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah.

Comment

The last dua that prophet made was to raise to the highest of stations with Allah. ( The abode of Real Life)

The Prophet (saw) was on a mission to spread islam and while doing the thing , He left us. ( Makes him maytr)(Ayah of Maytrs are alive , don't call them dead....)

Even if He is not a maytr , His station is beyond and above them.

Still Hazrat Abu Bakr is saying He is dead? ( Naooz billah).
                              This very hadith gives wrong meaning when studied without proper explanitaion. Take care of words

قُلْنَا يَا نَارُ كُونِي بَرْدًا وَسَلَامًا عَلَىٰ إِبْرَاهِيمَ - 21:69

Comment

Working...
                              X