Humility and forgiveness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humility and forgiveness

Abu Huraira reported Allah's Messenger (sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam) as saying:

Charity does not in any way decrease the wealth and the servant who forgives, Allah adds to his respect, and the one who shows humility, Allah elevates him in the estimation (of the people).

[Sahih Muslim]

Along with Adab another thing one must work on his tawaaDu' and forgiveness.

It is very difficult to forgive. It varies from personality to personality but for some, like me, forgiving does not come naturally.

But we as Muslims do not have a choice. We have to be humble and we have to learn to forgive.

Humility can be a very difficult thing. Imagine when someone insults you in public.

You look around. There are so many people. What will they think?

You want to talk back and insult your opponent.

Now, if you respond back you will have committed two vices. First, you will have let what people think affect you.

That is Riyaa. This is minor shirk.

in al-Musnad (27742) where it is narrated that Mahmoud ibn Labeed said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The thing that I fear most for you is minor shirk.” They said: “O Messenger of Allaah, what is minor shirk?” He said: “Showing off, for Allaah will say on the Day when people are recompensed for their actions: ‘Go to those for whom you were showing off with your deeds in the world, and see what reward you find with them.’”

Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in al-Silsilah al-Saheehah, 951.

Second, more often than not, you will go beyond the bounds of what is permitted when you retaliate. Now, you have added a second sin to the list.

Abu Huraira reported Allah's Messenger (sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam) as saying:

When two persons indulge in hurling (abuses) upon one another, it would be the first one who would be the sinner so long as the oppressed does not transgress the limits.

[Sahih Muslim]

What a waste.
    Last edited by ZeeshanParvez; 14-09-18, 04:57 PM.
    Watch those eyes

A wise friend once told me:

You worry about what people will think in this world. How will you feel on the Day of Judgment if Allaah does not forgive you and exposes your sins in front of the entire creation.

In this world we sweat when made fun of in front of a handful of people. We are willing to go to any length to get back at the person who harmed us.

What about on that Day? When are sins are exposed in front of everyone in the creation. How humiliated will we feel then?

And then we won't be able to do anything. We will have to stand there and be humiliated.

People are not important

Another thing that helps one to forgive and be humble is the realization at a very deep level that people do not matter.

You cannot feed me. I cannot feed you.

You cannot clothe me. I cannot clothe you.

You cannot cure me. I cannot cure you.

You cannot cause me harm. I cannot cause you harm.

In truth, you and I are of no use to one another.

We came to this world alone.
    We bear our problems alone.
    We will die alone.
    We will stand in front of the King of kings alone.

And all of them are coming to Him on the Day of Resurrection alone.

[Qur'aan 19:95]

We have no use for one another. The very people we think can help us and love us turn their backs at times of need when Allaah Wiils.

The very person you rely on most and look upon as a close aid turns out to be a monster when Allaah Wills.

Muhammad bin Sirin narrated from Abu Hurairah - and I think he (narrated it from the Prophet) who said:

"Love your beloved moderately, perhaps he becomes hated to you someday. And hate whom you hate moderately, perhaps he becomes your beloved someday."

[Jaami al-Tirmidhi]

The more you think of these things, the more you allow them to combine with you at the deepest level possible, and the more you will realize that if you are forgiving someone or being humble, it is not because you cannot take revenge or are doing it for the people, but because you are doing it to please the only One who matters.

In return He has promised to elevate your rank even in this world.

Charity does not in any way decrease the wealth and the servant who forgives Allah adds to his respect, and the one who shows humility Allah elevates him in the estimation (of the people).

[Sahih Muslim]
    Watch those eyes

Comment

al-Fudail ibn 'iyaad was asked about tawaaDu'

He said:

Surrender to the truth and accept it from whoever speaks it.
      Watch those eyes

Comment

Ibraahim bin shaibaan said:

Honor is in tawaaDu'.
        And high rank is in taqwaa.
        And freedom is in contentment.
        Watch those eyes

Comment

al-Hasan, Yuunus, and 'ayyuub went out mentioning al-tawaaDu'. al-Hasan said to both of them: And do you know what is al-tawaaDu'?

al-tawaaDu' is that you go out of your place of residence, and you do not meet a single Muslim except that you consider him to be superior to you.
          Watch those eyes

Comment

Qataadah said:

He who is given wealth, beauty, clothing, and knowledge, and then does not show humility (tawaaDu'), then it will be a wabaal (evil consequences of a deed, harm, evil, curse) on him on the Day of Judgment.
            Watch those eyes

Comment

"... Let them pardon and forgive. Do you not love that Allah should forgive you? And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." [al-Noor, 24:22]
              Watch those eyes

Comment

This entire thread should be advice #1 for anyone getting married. If both parties start of with these ayat and hadith in mind it will save them from a boat load of problems. More than looking for compatibly and shared hobbies and favourite movies and what not.

Disclaimer:
                Won't solve cultural problems though.

Comment

Trials can make a person more humble. Especially when they realise that they have no power over anything. Only Allaah subhanahu wa ta'ala can change the state of a situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Ikki View Post
                    This entire thread should be advice #1 for anyone getting married. If both parties start of with these ayat and hadith in mind it will save them from a boat load of problems. More than looking for compatibly and shared hobbies and favourite movies and what not.

Disclaimer:
                    Won't solve cultural problems though.
                    Key words - "both parties". (It's impossible for one person to make it work).

Comment

Originally posted by Indefinable View Post

Key words - "both parties". (It's impossible for one person to make it work).
                      Of course. One party can never make a marriage work. That's why I said, both parties.

Comment

Working...
                      X