Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fard 'ain and Fard kifayah - what does it mean?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fard 'ain and Fard kifayah - what does it mean?

Assalam alaykum, brozensissez,

I was reading another post when I came accross a phrase: "Jihad is Fard 'ain, now, not Fard kifayah, as some scholars are suggesting.", or words to that effect.

So, since I am not clear about what these terms mean, can I have your opinions (with proofs, where you have access to them, please :) )? And don't feel you have to restrict it to the issue of Jihad. ;)

This may also be of interest to non-Muslims.

Jamila
    Please Re-update your Signature

In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful

As-salamu'alaikum wa rahmatullahe wa barakahtahu

Respected Sister In Islam

Fardh Kifaya - It is the Fard, that if performed by some (a sufficient number), the obligation falls from the rest

Example: A group of Muslim brothers meet another group on the way to the masjid. It is their duty to convey the 'Salaam' to the other, and so if "one" brother amongst them was to convey the 'Salaam' then insha'allah ta'ala the rest will be relieved of this duty.

Fardh 'Ayn -It is the Fard that is a compulsory duty on every single Muslim to perform, [just] like praying and fasting.

Allah the Almighty, and Majestic says:

And fight them until there is no more Fitnah (disbelief and polytheism:i.e. worshipping others beside Allah) and the religion (worship) will all be for Allah alone (in the whole world)...“
    (Surat al Anfal : Verse 39)

The Fitnah referred to in this ayah means Shirk as Ibn 'Abbas (radiallaahu 'anhu) and Siddi said:

When the Kufaar attack and control a [Muslim] country, the Ummah is endangered in its Religion, and it becomes susceptible to doubt in its belief. Fighting [the Kufaar] then becomes an obligation, to protect the Religion, the lives, the land and wealth.”

Elaborated at the link following, from the Book "Defence of the Muslim Lands" By Shaheed Dr. Abdullah Yusuf Azzam (rahimahullah)

http://jihaadulkuffaarin.jeeran.com/File232.htm

And Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Wasalamu'alaikum Wa rahmatullahe Wa barakahtahu

Comment

as salaam alai kum

Err...i remember answering this post somewhere else (islami issues????). Request the moderator to kindly shift it.

Comment

what is it??

As salamu Alaykum,

i dont understand the meaning of fard-ul-ayn and fard-ul-kifaya.... what does this mean??

wa alaykum salam,

nadera,

P.S. i'm new on this site, and i'm really enjoying reading ur posts!

Comment

Originally posted by umar al-khattab
          In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful

As-salamu'alaikum wa rahmatullahe wa barakahtahu

Respected Sister In Islam

Fardh Kifaya - It is the Fard, that if performed by some (a sufficient number), the obligation falls from the rest

Example: A group of Muslim brothers meet another group on the way to the masjid. It is their duty to convey the 'Salaam' to the other, and so if "one" brother amongst them was to convey the 'Salaam' then insha'allah ta'ala the rest will be relieved of this duty.

Fardh 'Ayn -It is the Fard that is a compulsory duty on every single Muslim to perform, [just] like praying and fasting.

Allah the Almighty, and Majestic says:

And fight them until there is no more Fitnah (disbelief and polytheism:i.e. worshipping others beside Allah) and the religion (worship) will all be for Allah alone (in the whole world)...“
          (Surat al Anfal : Verse 39)

The Fitnah referred to in this ayah means Shirk as Ibn 'Abbas (radiallaahu 'anhu) and Siddi said:

When the Kufaar attack and control a [Muslim] country, the Ummah is endangered in its Religion, and it becomes susceptible to doubt in its belief. Fighting [the Kufaar] then becomes an obligation, to protect the Religion, the lives, the land and wealth.”

Elaborated at the link following, from the Book "Defence of the Muslim Lands" By Shaheed Dr. Abdullah Yusuf Azzam (rahimahullah)

http://jihaadulkuffaarin.jeeran.com/File232.htm

And Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Wasalamu'alaikum Wa rahmatullahe Wa barakahtahu
          3:103 And hold fast, all together, unto the bond with God, and do not draw apart from one another. And remember the blessings which God has bestowed upon you: how, when you were enemies, He brought your hearts together, so that through His blessing you became brethren; and [how, when] you were on the brink of a fiery abyss. He saved you from it. In this way God makes clear His messages unto you, so that you might find guidance.

Comment

Fard 'ain means individual obligation. If something is an individual obligation on a group of men, it means it is an obligation on each and ever man in the group. Each man in the group has an obligation to fulfill the obligation. No one is exempt.

Fard al-kifaayah means communal obligation. If something is a communal obligation on a group of men, then if a certain number of men in the group fulfill the obligation while others do not, it suffices. The men who did not fulfill the obligation are not sinful. It was only obligatory for a certain number of men in the group to fulfill the obligation. When they did so the obligation was also fulfilled on behalf of those who did not fulfill it in the group.

If, however, no one in the group fulfills the obligation, then everyone is sinful.
            Watch those eyes

Comment

Whether it is fard kifayah or fard ayn, the ummah in sinful as neither is fulfilled, some people like to twist and get out of it to make themselves feel good by making it sound as if its alright that they've turned their backs or kept quiet on issues like jihad, all of a sudden the matter of being one body goes down the drain

Comment

Working...
              X