Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• islamuslim
    replied
    Because some cheese is made using animal rennet which comes from the dead animal's stomach. Here in the West it's very unlikely that the rennet came from an animal that was slaughtered islamically.

I just looked it up and there are actually two opinions on this:

The Islamic ruling concerning rennet is that if it is taken from an animal that has been slaughtered according to sharee'ah, then it is pure (taahir) and can be eaten. This is according to the Hanafis, Maalikis, Shaafa'is and Hanbalis.

As regards eating rennet taken from an animal that dies naturally, or that was not slaughtered in accordance with sharee'ah, according to the apparent meaning of the opinions reported from the majority of scholars among the Maalikis, Shaafa'is and Hanbalis have said, it is impure (naajis) and should not be eaten. They base this ruling on the aayah (interpretation of the meaning): "Forbidden to you for food) are: al-maytatah (dead animals - cattle-beast not slaughtered)" [al-Maa;idah 5:3] - the rennet becomes impure by virtue of the animal's death, and it is not possible to remove that impurity from it. [next phrase is unclear]

Imaam al-Nawawi said in al-Majmoo' (9/68): "The ummah is agreed that it is permissible to eat cheese so long as it is not mixed with anything impure, such as adding rennet from a source that is not halaal because it was not slaughtered according to sharee'ah. This ijmaa' (scholarly consensus) is the evidence for its permissibility."

The second view, which is that of Abu Haneefah and is one of two opinions narrated from Imaam Ahmad, is that rennet from dead animals or animals that were not slaughtered according to sharee'ah is still taahir (pure). This is the opinion which Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah thought most correct in al-Fataawaa (21/102), where he said: "It is more likely that their (the Zoroastrians') cheese is halaal, and that the rennet and milk of dead animals is taahir (pure)." Elsewhere in al-Fataawaa (35/154) he said: "With regard to the cheese made with their (some of the kaafir Baatini groups') rennet, there are two well-known scholarly opinions, as is the case with the rennet from animals slaughtered by the Zoroastrians and Christians, and rennet from dead animals, of whom it is said that they do not slaughter their animals properly. The schools of Abu Haneefah and Ahmad, according to the other of his two opinions, say that this cheese is halaal, because the rennet taken from dead animals is taahir (pure), according to this view, and because the (enzymes in) rennet do not die when the animal dies (so, the concept "impure containers don't cause the contents of the container to become impure by contact" ) applies. The schools of Maalik, al-Shaafa'i and Ahmad, according to the other of his two opinions, state that this cheese is naajis (impure), because the rennet is impure according to this view, as they see the milk and rennet of dead animals as impure. In cases where meat is classified as impure because it is not slaughtered properly, the meat is regarded as being the same as dead meat. Both opinions are based on reports narrated from the Sahaabah. The first group states that the Sahaabah used to eat the cheese of the Zoroastrians, while the second group state that the Sahaabah used to eat what they thought was the cheese of the Christians. With regard to this issue, the follower (ordinary Muslim) must follow an 'aalim who advises him to follow either of these two opinions.
    islamqa.info/amp/en/answers/2841

There are cheese products that use pig rennet too so it's important to look out for these things.

Leave a comment:

• Abu julaybeeb
    replied
    Originally posted by islamuslim View Post
    I don't think the Cheetos here (in North America) is halal. I remember they used to sell packs in Islamic school but a teacher called to confirm if the cheese was halal and apparently it wasn't. They still give them out at the masjid but we throw them out.
    We actually avoid everything with cheddar cheese here.
    Why would cheese be haram?

Leave a comment:

• Simply_Logical
    replied
    Originally posted by nudgetheputri1 View Post
    Try Malaysia or Indonesa if you dont mind the distance. But Malaysia is in a bad state because of covid.
    always wanted to go there but its quite expensive tbh

Leave a comment:

• nudgetheputri1
    replied
    Originally posted by islamuslim View Post
    I don't think the Cheetos here (in North America) is halal. I remember they used to sell packs in Islamic school but a teacher called to confirm if the cheese was halal and apparently it wasn't. They still give them out at the masjid but we throw them out.
    I figured it is google-able to find out if the snacks produced there are halal.

Leave a comment:

• nudgetheputri1
    replied
    Originally posted by Simply_Logical View Post
    well we wanted to go greece but i have my doubts as my mrs wears niqab and ive always been under the illusion theres islamaphobia there and its maybe be racist but im glad we didnt go as i doubt the food wouldve been good too

i want to go somewhere soon though as i need to try and feel a bit better tbh
    Try Malaysia or Indonesa if you dont mind the distance. But Malaysia is in a bad state because of covid.

Leave a comment:

• islamuslim
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Flawed
    replied
    Originally posted by Ya'sin View Post

YouTube

LMSO
    I know, I know but err
    Id go to Greece only to see what on earth socrates and plato were goin on bout. I think turkey and greece historical sites are worth visiting though.

Leave a comment:

• Kiro
    replied
    The life of a nomad... So far yet so soon.

Leave a comment:

• aelmo
    replied
    ive been to Greece before but I genuinely cant remember what I did there. I went there and to Bulgaria right after each other but I can only remember Bulgaria.

But yeah its hard to go to a non muslim country where you don't speak the language and cant find food easily.

Leave a comment:

• RuthlessSoftie
    replied

Yeh I saw them it is a total RIP OFF
    I wanted to do an international swap with someone, obviously I'd pay more if the Cheetos cost more but oh well
    It's not too much of a big deal although I really want to try the Cheetos, looks so good and powdery *dribbles"

Guess there's less supply so the person can just sell them at whatever he chooses.

Leave a comment:

• Ya'sin
    replied
    Originally posted by RuthlessSoftie View Post

Try Amazon or ebay, someone may be selling it. I saw ding dongs on them before so maybe they sell other international snacks too.
    Yeh I saw them it is a total RIP OFF
    I wanted to do an international swap with someone, obviously I'd pay more if the Cheetos cost more but oh well
    It's not too much of a big deal although I really want to try the Cheetos, looks so good and powdery *dribbles"

Leave a comment:

• RuthlessSoftie
    replied

I am not sure how bad Greece actually is, my own bias is getting in the way
    I feel the same when Muslims mention America
    the only good thing is checking out the shops there and Cheetos, I really wanted a packet of that original Cheetos

I even asked people on here and none of em helped me

Try Amazon or ebay, someone may be selling it. I saw ding dongs on them before so maybe they sell other international snacks too.

Leave a comment:

• Ya'sin
    replied
    Originally posted by Simply_Logical View Post

so how do you know the salads bad? lool

nah jokes aside sis i would imagine it wouldnt be all that to be fair...
    YouTube

LMSO
    I know, I know but err

Leave a comment:

• Simply_Logical
    replied

Nope
    (Lol)

so how do you know the salads bad? lool

nah jokes aside sis i would imagine it wouldnt be all that to be fair...

Leave a comment:

• Ya'sin
    replied
    Originally posted by RuthlessSoftie View Post

Don't apologise, you have the right mindset. If some country hates Muslims then no Muslim should seek to holiday there and add to their economy.

I see so many Muslim fantasizing over going America for a holiday too and inside I'm just like urghh why do you want to go to somewhere which actively bombs us.

Didn't know greece was big on anti-Muslim things though.
    I am not sure how bad Greece actually is, my own bias is getting in the way
    I feel the same when Muslims mention America
    the only good thing is checking out the shops there and Cheetos, I really wanted a packet of that original Cheetos

I even asked people on here and none of em helped me

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X