A trip to England

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A trip to England

Hope you all are in highest state of imaan and best of health, ameen.

I would like to ask about a family vacation we'll take to England in summer, inshaa'Allah, and since none of us never been there before I thought I'd ask here for advice and recommendations. We're going to be 4 adults and one child of 10 years age.

We will travel to Sheffield and stay there for 3 days because my sister has a course to attend there. After that we want to visit another place for 3 days. We were thinking perhaps Manchester or London. But what are your recommendations? Anyone who knows about Sheffield and can come with comments about how it is there? Places we can eat halal food and be comfortable around? Places where a child will have fun to visit? Also where is it best to stay? We basically have no idea about anything.

JazakumAllahu khairan :)

/Ukht S.
    Last edited by Ukhti S.; 31-03-19, 08:30 AM.
    Allah is my Support, the Qur'an and Sunnah is my Guide and Paradise is my Goal!

You are the servant, He is the Master.
    Prayers come from you, answers come from Him.
    Abstinence comes from you, protection comes from Him.
    Repentance comes from you, acceptance comes from Him.
    Go towards him walking, He will come to you running.

I don't travel up north but I am sure Sheffield has a large Muslim community, probably loads of Pakistanis.
    Women lost their modesty when men lost their gheerah..” .

Comment

neelu knows Sheffield,

I would recommend Leeds,

Although I have never been there,

Comment

I don't really know Sheffield, I visited Sheffield a couple of times over 20 years ago. If you like big shopping malls then Meadowhall is quite popular over there and you can get a tram that goes there from the main city. I wonder if halal bookings are worth a look?

I heard years ago that someone set up a hotel in North London that has more of an Islamic ethos with prayer areas and halal food, but I can't remember what the place is called. I'm hoping someone else on here might know. There's loads of halal places to eat out in Manchester especially on Wilmslow Road (I went there years ago, I presume it's still the place to go unless the situation has changed since then). There are several halal restaurants in London as well but some are probably expensive and depends on where in London you're going cos its a huge city. In East London, Maeda Grill is good and is close to East London mosque. In West London Giftos Lahore Karahi in Southall is good. In central London there are a lot of halal restaurants (mostly middle eastern food) on Edgware Road but I wouldn't know which specific one to recommend. Actually, I'd recommend Charcoal Grill in Kilburn; delicious Turkish food.

London has tons of tourist attractions as you probably know, but I'm not sure how much that would interest young children. If you want to see the sites in one day but don't want to tire yourself with too much walking or navigating around various locations, then perhaps a bus tour or (if the weather is good) a boat trip might work for you so that you can see the main sites in one go and take pictures and so on.
        The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

uuggghh
          i dont recommend any1 to come

Comment

Originally posted by neelu View Post
            I don't really know Sheffield, I visited Sheffield a couple of times over 20 years ago. If you like big shopping malls then Meadowhall is quite popular over there and you can get a tram that goes there from the main city. I wonder if halal bookings are worth a look?

I heard years ago that someone set up a hotel in North London that has more of an Islamic ethos with prayer areas and halal food, but I can't remember what the place is called. I'm hoping someone else on here might know. There's loads of halal places to eat out in Manchester especially on Wilmslow Road (I went there years ago, I presume it's still the place to go unless the situation has changed since then). There are several halal restaurants in London as well but some are probably expensive and depends on where in London you're going cos its a huge city. In East London, Maeda Grill is good and is close to East London mosque. In West London Giftos Lahore Karahi in Southall is good. In central London there are a lot of halal restaurants (mostly middle eastern food) on Edgware Road but I wouldn't know which specific one to recommend. Actually, I'd recommend Charcoal Grill in Kilburn; delicious Turkish food.

London has tons of tourist attractions as you probably know, but I'm not sure how much that would interest young children. If you want to see the sites in one day but don't want to tire yourself with too much walking or navigating around various locations, then perhaps a bus tour or (if the weather is good) a boat trip might work for you so that you can see the main sites in one go and take pictures and so on.

Jazakillah khairan for your input, sister, I really appreciate it. It is really helpful! I will look into that booking site, inshaa'Allah. Honestly, I don't know how my sister is thinking we do all these activities, because both my parents are of old age (mid-50's) and they can't walk much, it'll be mostly me, my sister, and my little brother who'll be actively going around. I'll think about the boat trip/bus tour and search for some information online, it seems like a good idea too. Do you perhaps know if the tourist attractions are far from each other? Like Big Ben and London Eye? That hotel sounds very interesting, mashaa'Allah, I'll look into that as well.

Another question we're wondering; is it better to rent a car to go around or is it better to commute?
            Allah is my Support, the Qur'an and Sunnah is my Guide and Paradise is my Goal!

You are the servant, He is the Master.
            Prayers come from you, answers come from Him.
            Abstinence comes from you, protection comes from Him.
            Repentance comes from you, acceptance comes from Him.
            Go towards him walking, He will come to you running.

Comment

Originally posted by neelu View Post

the north london thing
              do you mean azizia in stoke newington turkish

Comment

No, the north London place I mentioned is an actual hotel with a fairly big conference hall (I went there many years ago for an Islamic talk), not a restaurant. I've been to Azizia (you mean the place by the masjid right?) and the food is not bad but it's not what I was referring to. Besides, if a person is planning to tour central London then I'd think Azizia is a bit out of the way.

Actually, before I became ill, if I had to do a tour of London, I would've either bought lunch at the M&S food section (sandwich, drink and snack) or I would've eaten at the top shop café on Oxford Circus as they're located right in the centre of London and would work out less expensive than the main restaurants. Then for the evening meal I'd go to an actual restaurant such as Maeda Grill or Charcoal Grill or there's that Maroush shisha place on Edgware road that doesn't even have a name sign but the food is not bad if you don't mind the music and atmosphere (I can't drive so the fact that these places have tube/Underground access would make all the difference).

I'm not sure if hiring out a car is a good idea, because a) finding a parking space in London is hard b) whoever has the responsibility of driving all day will get tired and c) a lot of London is packed with heavy traffic which is why so many people resort to public transport when they go there. Having said that, having to walk around finding bus routes and train stations can have its pros and cons as well. I think it might not be practical to fit every attraction into the London trip, which is why the bus or boat tour would help you at least see most places and take photos, but having said that, I think you should consider maybe 2-3 target places that you want to visit in one day so that you can have a couple of hours to browse properly if you want to go somewhere like Madame Tussuards or the Tower of London then you can spend the morning in one place, sit and eat your lunch and then spend the afternoon at another place and then end it with the bus or boat tour so that everyone is sitting down. Depending on what the family are like, they might want to sit down and eat lunch in a restaurant/café setting in which case maybe the top shop café would be worth a try (I haven't been there for years so don't know if the menu has changed but I used to eat their fish and chips, or their pasta in tomato sauce or their pizza, or their stack of pancakes with a cup of tea), or if they'd just rather eat on a bench where they are so they don't have to faff around with finding an eaterie, then it might be better to buy a packed lunch in advance from somewhere like M&S food section or from a Waitrose or Sainsburys etc (I think there's a Sainsburys in Kilburn). If you're concerned about your parents getting tired, then you should schedule rest breaks in between. So go to one place in the morning for a couple of hours, then stop for lunch, then go to your next location for however long, then sit down for the tour and then after that if everyone is still eager to see sites, go to your next location and have dinner at a restaurant or if everyone is too tired then go home.

If your family like shopping, then it depends, if they like to get little souvenirs, then there are loads of little souvenir shops dotted around the city, but if they like to go to the big post department stores (they are expensive though), then they might like to see Harrods, Selfridges or somewhere like that. They are very grand buildings as well. I'd suggest going to these famous shopping venues or else going to a main museum such as the Natural History museum if the weather is very rainy and miserable cos' these are quite nice indoor locations.

Before you go anywhere, I suggest that you keep a map of London on you and check it in advance so that you can see for yourself how far apart these locations are, where the train or bus routes are and then you can gauge for yourself whether each location is worth walking to, or taking public transport or hiring a car or booking a taxi. Taxis aren't easy to find by chance; I think you'd either need some sort of taxi app to make a booking or else there are taxis at Euston Station last time I checked- you can't just call out to one in the street like they do in the movies.

Originally posted by Abu julaybeeb View Post

the north london thing
                do you mean azizia in stoke newington turkish
                The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Originally posted by Abu julaybeeb View Post
                  uuggghh
                  i dont recommend any1 to come
                  Why is that?

Comment

I recommend Bradfordstan or the Islamic State of Birmingham - you'll feel right at home there - plenty of Pakistanis there... Seriously though if ur gonna go visit the UK visit some nice places. London, Manchester, Cambridge
                    Allah is always watching [VIDEO]

How To Weep For The Fear Of Allah

Please remember to share these links with people you know so they can also benefit from them. :jkk:

Comment

i'would recommend Pakistan especially northen areas of Pakistan, you'll love them

Comment

Working...
                      X