origin of the word "mosque"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• origin of the word "mosque"

During a conversation with a friend of mine, the topic of the origin of the word "mosque" came up.
    She said that we shouldn't really say "mosque" because of its origins lying in the crusades.

I did some research, but find differing etymologies for the word "mosque"

1) Merriam Websters:

now this is a slightly confusing definition, because according to websters, the etymology of "mosque" is from masjid & mezquita" but in my opinion masjid has an entirely separate etymology (ie: from the arabic sajda) to "mosque" which has its etymology from mesquita.

also see:

origins of the word mosque

all that it is saying is that mesquita comes from masjid....... not really surprising seeing how long Spain was a Muslim nation for in past centuries, including during the crusades.

I tend to use the word "mosque" when speaking with non Muslims as they don't know what a masjid is, also some Muslims use mosque for a large building and masjid for a small building. Anyone else come across that?
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by dhakiyya
      all that it is saying is that mesquita comes from masjid....... not really surprising seeing how long Spain was a Muslim nation for in past centuries, including during the crusades.

I tend to use the word "mosque" when speaking with non Muslims as they don't know what a masjid is, also some Muslims use mosque for a large building and masjid for a small building. Anyone else come across that?
      Assalam Alayku sister

Its true, I have come accross this too, small is Masjid big is mosque.
      "The objective behind Shari'ah is to liberate individuals from his desires in order to be a true Abd (slave) of Allah and that is the legitimate Maslaha... Violating the Shari'ah under the pretext of following Maqasid al-Shari'ah is like the one who cares about the spirit without the body and since the body without the spirit is useless therefore the spirit without the body is useless too." ~ Imam Shatibi - The greatest intellectual founder of Maqasid al-Shari'ah

Comment

This book pointed out that the term ‘mosque’ is derived from the Spanish word for ‘mosquito’. It was termed as such because during the Crusades, King Ferdinand said they were going to go and swat the Muslims ‘like mosquitoes’

so there isn't any truth in this part?

Comment

Originally posted by zenko

so there isn't any truth in this part?

the word mossies is still used,
          [quote=Abdul-Curim;what has decency and productive life to do with any religion , especially since most jews/christians prefer the seperation of religion and state ?[/

Comment

interesting subject. I'll have to visit the library tomorrow, do some research. Insha'Allah!
            وَأَن لَّيْسَ لِلإِنسَـنِ إِلاَّ مَا سَعَى

Comment

whatever the answer I have made a conscious effort to say "masjid" when speaking in english. When I converse in Urdu or Punjabi with my family, I automatically use "masjid" anyway, but now I even use masjid if I need to use "mosque" when talking to Non muslims.

Comment

I really believed mosque is a single building and when i say masjid i always thought at more buildings, or at least 2.
                :) t. l. poetry corner
                So I stay in my chair, staring into the fire,
                Thinking of where are you at this hour :scratch:

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                X