Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hiking travelling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Hiking travelling

    If you were going for a long hike, how long would you hike? What equipment would you bring? What food would you bring with you? What would you do? How would you make money?

    Answer me!
    I am just a simple nomad.

    Ephemeral reader

    #2
    Re: Hiking travelling

    Do you mean a hiking holiday? There are quite a few instagrammers who make a living out of blogging their travels and many far eastern countries are very cheap to live/eat once you are there. Personally I hate the thought of hiking (as in trekking up mountains)

    Comment


      #3
      Re: Hiking travelling

      I would take short hikes first to see if I like it. Start with few hours, then a day, then 3 days...etc until I build to a week. I don't think I would want to do anything more than a week. Moneywise, I would look for restaurants or farms where you can be day labor.

      Comment


        #4
        Re: Hiking travelling

        Backpacking no frills checklist




        Bandana
        Small towel
        2 jeans
        3 T shirts
        4 underwear
        5 socks
        1 shorts
        Boots/shoes fully worn in. Cover sore spots on your feet with duct tape. Don’t wait until a blister forms.
        Wool sweater
        Wool hat
        Sun hat


        Topo map
        compass
        Disposable sewing kit
        Duct tape
        First aid (you can just bring gauze and ointment and use duct tape)
        Alcohol for disinfectant,
        ¼” rope – 50’
        1 liter canteen
        ½ liter canteen
        6 – 10 liter water bag for camp
        Flashlight and set of extra batteries
        Bug spray
        Advil, aspirin, bring plenty. You might break an ankle
        Other meds – Imodium, antihistamine, whatever you might need. Light weight and compact so no need to go light with these.
        Chapstick, sunblocking style
        Sun screen
        ½ oz bleach for water disinfectant, 10 drops per liter, wait ½ - 1 hour depending on temperature
        Deodorant
        Biodegradable soap for washing clothes, wash yourself with river mud.
        Knife, camping style
        Fork
        Spoon
        Pliers, probably won’t need it, but if you need it, you really need it
        Plastic bags; small (for food), medium (for trash and TP), large (garbage size for protection against rain)
        Toilet paper
        Wet wipes
        Lighter
        Back up fire (matches in a pill bottle)


        2 tarps (one to sleep on, one for rain)
        Sleeping bag
        Sleeping mat (can be foam pad or cheap inflatables are comfy and light but might leak)
        Chili powder to make a bug ring around sleeping spot, keep bears off backpack.

        ~Bub
        From the Many, One

        Comment


          #5
          Re: Hiking travelling

          Originally posted by BubbleGum View Post
          Backpacking no frills checklist




          Bandana
          Small towel
          2 jeans
          3 T shirts
          4 underwear
          5 socks
          1 shorts
          Boots/shoes fully worn in. Cover sore spots on your feet with duct tape. Don’t wait until a blister forms.
          Wool sweater
          Wool hat
          Sun hat


          Topo map
          compass
          Disposable sewing kit
          Duct tape
          First aid (you can just bring gauze and ointment and use duct tape)
          Alcohol for disinfectant,
          ¼” rope – 50’
          1 liter canteen
          ½ liter canteen
          6 – 10 liter water bag for camp
          Flashlight and set of extra batteries
          Bug spray
          Advil, aspirin, bring plenty. You might break an ankle
          Other meds – Imodium, antihistamine, whatever you might need. Light weight and compact so no need to go light with these.
          Chapstick, sunblocking style
          Sun screen
          ½ oz bleach for water disinfectant, 10 drops per liter, wait ½ - 1 hour depending on temperature
          Deodorant
          Biodegradable soap for washing clothes, wash yourself with river mud.
          Knife, camping style
          Fork
          Spoon
          Pliers, probably won’t need it, but if you need it, you really need it
          Plastic bags; small (for food), medium (for trash and TP), large (garbage size for protection against rain)
          Toilet paper
          Wet wipes
          Lighter
          Back up fire (matches in a pill bottle)


          2 tarps (one to sleep on, one for rain)
          Sleeping bag
          Sleeping mat (can be foam pad or cheap inflatables are comfy and light but might leak)
          Chili powder to make a bug ring around sleeping spot, keep bears off backpack.

          ~Bub
          Have you gone hiking a lot? Also how would you know if the water was clean?
          I am just a simple nomad.

          Ephemeral reader

          Comment


            #6
            Re: Hiking travelling

            The rule of thumb is you always assume the water is not safe to drink.

            The bleach water treatment method I mentioned is not the recommended method. I learned that one from my Father. The recommended methods for water treatment are Iodine tablets or special water filters designed to filter out all germs.

            ~Bub
            From the Many, One

            Comment


              #7
              Re: Hiking travelling

              Originally posted by BubbleGum View Post
              The rule of thumb is you always assume the water is not safe to drink.

              The bleach water treatment method I mentioned is not the recommended method. I learned that one from my Father. The recommended methods for water treatment are Iodine tablets or special water filters designed to filter out all germs.

              ~Bub
              have you seen a bear
              I am just a simple nomad.

              Ephemeral reader

              Comment


                #8
                Re: Hiking travelling

                nomad squad

                [MENTION=137826]mazuiz[/MENTION] [MENTION=125806]Serinity[/MENTION] [MENTION=113309]Linkdeutscher[/MENTION] [MENTION=123813]~Umar~[/MENTION]

                what you take and what would you do

                I would also like to know someones thoughts like [MENTION=1489]neelu[/MENTION]
                I am just a simple nomad.

                Ephemeral reader

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: Hiking travelling

                  My suggestions would all be hypothetical because I've never been hiking or camping and I have a disability so I can only talk hypothetically as to what I'd do if I still had my health and I'm not sure how long you mean. Do you mean hiking or travelling in general? Cos' I have been on trips abroad so can talk about that. I'm the sort of person who would save up enough money to travel in the first place. I wouldn't look for a source of income when I get there cos' if I don't find any work I'd be stuck and really struggle. I'm not the sort of person who'd want to sleep under the stars or go somewhere that doesn't have a proper flush toilet (call me a snob if you want lol), so if I did go out in the sticks, at the very least I'd want to stay in an RV so that I can pack essential food, clothing etc and the only money i'd need is for petrol (or to get more food at the location). An RV would have a water supply, plumbing, a place to sleep and the vehicle to travel across the country in one small space. I tried sleeping under the stars once in Pakistan (on the roof of my khala's house); suffice to say the mosquitoes found a way to bite my feet even though I wore socks and my cousin was accosted by a bat lol.

                  I went on a walking holiday with my school to Devon once and we had to walk about 6 miles a day for a week which was exhausting but on the bright side, it meant we got to see a lot of places such as the nice beach with red sand, the fields where sheep were grazing, the forest and stuff like that. If I had my health back, I definitely wouldn't walk further than I did on that trip as it was tiring. Having said that, as an urban girl, I'm less inclined to go on a trip to find such scenery and prefer to visit cities as long as I have good company, good food and see some nice sites while I'm there then I'm happy. My last holiday was to Paris with my parents and another family came with us and we all had a great time.

                  Anyway if I were on a walking holiday (cos' I wouldn't hike up a mountain), I wouldn't need hiking equipment as I'd just be walking. I wouldn't need camping equipment cos' my stove and water supply would be in the RV. I'd probably spend a day with an expert foraging for food, have a picnic, see the sites (if there are any particular land marks or beauty spots), then chill and spend quality time with the people I'm with. I wouldn't need to take money other than petrol money for my vehicle so wouldn't need to make money either.

                  What would I pack into the RV?

                  - Clothing suitable for the weather. That means at least 6 changes of basic clothes (trousers, t shirts, socks, undies), 2-3 fleece hoodies, 1 waterproof jacket, 1 warm shawl, 1 warm coat, proper walking boots and slippers if I'm staying for a week or more. If I'm going somewhere very hot (like Pakistan) then I'd take cotton/linen tops or kameezes instead of t-shirts and wouldn't take my coat or hoodies and I'd take a mini fan with spare batteries.

                  - Grooming and hygiene products. Amongst other things that includes toothbrushes and paste, comb, wet wipes, tissues, soap, pads, trial size deodorant, shampoo, scissors and a little bottle of novon non bio in case I need to wash my clothes. I'd take a lighter, tealights and a solar powered phone charger and a towel (and empty bottle to use as lota)

                  - Obviously I'd take my cash, ID, mobile phone to help me get by. If I'm going away by plane then I wont take my usual mobile cos' the authorities can snoop on those things or arrest you if you don't give your passwords

                  ^Those are the things I'd take no matter where I was travelling. For Pakistan I'd also take a nala and nala salai. If I went away for more than two weeks I'd take nail clippers too. If I were on a UK holiday in an RV/caravan, I'd also take:

                  - Cooking utensils: pan, frying pan, sharp knife, heatproof spatula, wooden spoon, basic cutlery and a few plates, bowls and mugs

                  - Food: depends on the time of year, length of trip etc but I'd make sure there's a plentiful supply of clean water including some bottled water and washing up liquid with a tea towel and sponge
                  I'd take tea, sugar, chocolate and dates.
                  I'd take some fresh fruit that'll last the first 5 days to snack on, but for main meals, in the summer months, I'd making cooling salads using tins of drained chickpeas or cannellini beans made into lettuce wraps (keep salad ingredients in cool box containing an ice block), maybe add a tin of tuna sometimes and that can be for lunch. For dinner I'd keep some rice, onion and spices, then there's frozen meat/chicken in another cool box and once it's thawed, I can cook it into a pillau. If the trip is longer than a week then the meat would run out so I'd have to pack some red lentils and I'd have that with rice instead (I can't eat gluten). For the sake of others travelling with me, I'd pack a box of eggs and some bread in case they want that for breakfast
                  If the RV doesn't have a fridge then I'd take a mini fridge and plug it into the outlet to keep milk and butter fresh.

                  I've listed loads of things on the assumption that I'd be taking an RV so that would have room to pack a lot more than just a rucksack. If I were on a city trip or staying with relatives, then I wouldn't need to pack food as it'll be widely available at the location and I wouldn't need cooking supplies etc so of course that would change my list but of course pretty much wherever I go, I've taken the items listed in the first 3 bullet points (ie the clothing, grooming products and cash/ID essentials). Last but not least, I'd always take a compass keyring for prayers.

                  Hope I haven't missed anything but that pretty much covers it for me
                  The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: Hiking travelling

                    Tag.
                    Pray. Fast. Zakat. Pilgrimage. Allah.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: Hiking travelling

                      I knew I forgot to mention something in my last post; meds!

                      If it's an RV/Caravan trip then I'd take a whole first aid kit. Oh I didn't mention bedding/sleeping bag cos' I thought that's just a given.

                      Anyway if it's not an RV trip and I'm travelling abroad then I wouldn't take a full first aid box but I'd take some basic meds (Bub's post reminded me) such as aspirin, immodium, plasters, savlon, ajwain and a couple of things along those lines. My previous post was what I'd do if I weren't ill, but if I were to travel now, I'd have to take my supplements with me, I'd either take a mobility scooter with me or hire one when I reach my destination. If I'm staying with relatives then I'd let them know about my dietary restrictions and I'd just take a few snacks on the journey (gluten free cookies or something) but if I'm not staying with family, I'd have to check in advance that the eateries I visit can accommodate my needs (at the very least serve rice and not roti or naan). Oh yeah, cos' of my illness I'd have to take my noise cancelling headphones and mp3 player and I drink bottled water when I'm not at home. If I'm staying with relatives then really I should take a gift for them, even if it's a small token thing but to show appreciation.

                      I could never go away anywhere without arrangements of somewhere to stay or with no idea where the money will come from to pay for the next leg of the journey. Maybe culturally guys feel they can be more adventurous like that but as a woman, I'd feel very vulnerable and worry that bad characters could take advantage if I'm not adequately prepared. Another important thing is to update loved ones as to where you are, how long you expect to be away for and when they are next likely to hear from you. The one thing you don't want is to go missing cos' you've been kidnapped or are thrown in a ditch bleeding and your family aren't expecting to see you for another two weeks so no one knows you've disappeared, no one's looking for you and no one has raised the alarm that you haven't been to your hotel/tent for a week.

                      Oh yes if I go abroad, I'll do my level best to avoid the US and their shoddy abusive airlines. Some years ago when my brother took a trip to Mexico, he went on some US airline which had a stopover in Houston. I told him that's a terrible idea, Americans are profiling and mistreating Muslim men but he wouldn't listen and told me he doesn't plan on staying in the US anyway, he's only there to get the connecting flight. What happened? The authorities at the airport held him (a British passport holder) because his place of birth is in Pakistan. He missed his connecting flight cos they took so long to interrogate and go through their procedures before deciding to let him go (one of many occasions he's screwed things up because he refused to take my advice). I know that doesn't happen to all Muslims, but I'd just rather not go there. As I've said before, if I went abroad, I'd take a different phone, probably my dad's cos he has a simple nokia with about 5 contacts on it and no internet access. On principle I find it very annoying that authorities can prosecute us for not disclosing our phone passwords

                      Originally posted by Kiro View Post
                      nomad squad

                      @mazuiz @Serinity @Linkdeutscher @~Umar~

                      what you take and what would you do

                      I would also like to know someones thoughts like @neelu
                      The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: Hiking travelling

                        hiking isnt my sort of thing

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Re: Hiking travelling

                          :salams

                          I used to hike miles and miles through American parks and forests and hitch hiked through the American Midwest and West, but that was many years ago.

                          Where you would hike depends on where you live. If you live in Japan, there are many parks you can hike in. I would not suggest hiking in a warzone, however. Some years ago there was a case of Westerners hiking on the border between Iraq and Iran and they were captured by Iranian guards who then accused them of being operatives.

                          It is best to start on day hikes which are either round trips, or a hike begins at a drop off point and ends at a pick up point, like a bus stop, or a town where your ride picks you up.

                          A hikes duration depends on the terrain. Hiking up one mountain may take an entire day. It also depends on the path.
                          It once took me two days to hike up a single mountain, but that was because there was no path and I was just trailblazing. When I reached the top, it was a saddle. I got trapped up there for several days by an unexpected snowstorm.

                          Hiking on paved road, or dirt road, can mean you cover as much as 15 miles a day. Some excellent hikers can cover as much as 20-25 miles in a day on easy terrain.

                          No path, or a difficult path, can mean little progress. Difficult paths may mean steep slope, unsafe footing, unclear path, etc.

                          I recall one of the most dangerous hikes I took was across a lava field where on every step you could cut or twist your foot.

                          Also, prepare for the day hike by determining the weather, so you can plan what to wear. Hiking in winter in Japan could be beautiful, but difficult with snow drifts, or even snow storms.

                          What, where, how, when, who.

                          If you hike alone, you should leave your itinerari with a trusted family member. Even if you go wih a friend, you should leave vital info with family, so if you do not check back with them at the stated time, then can start emergency procedures.

                          There was a true story about a day hiker/biker who didn't tell anyone where he was going and got his hand caught between rocks by accident. He stayed there for days until he cut his hand off to free himself. So you might want to avoid doing that by just sharing the details of your hike wi family.

                          Also, be prepared. Don't go hiking in suicide forest below Mt Fuji and get lost, or come upon suicide victims. Know your surrounding. Japan.
                          Also, some parks in Japan have bears and monkeys, and snakes, and other potentially dangerous creatures.
                          Allahumma, aranee al haqqu haqqan wa arzuqnee itiba`ahu, wa aranee al baatilu baatilaan wa arzuqnee ijtinaabahu.Oh Allah! show us the truth as true, and inspire us to follow it. Show us falsehood as falsehood, and inspire us to abstain from it.
                          " Do you know what destroys Islam? A mistake made by a scholar, the argument of a hypocrite in writing and the ruling of leaders who wish for people to stray

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Re: Hiking travelling

                            As far as making money from hiking, there isn't really a market niche made for it. You could be a travel writer focussing on hiking in your area. So you could perform little known, or dangerous hikes in your area and write about it, selling the stories to travel books, or travel websites.

                            For example, you could write about hiking through Suicide forest lol, assuming that you get out alive.

                            As far as what you would bring in terms of food and equipment, it depends on where, how long, when, how you will hike.

                            A person must plan in advance no matter what. The best items to bring are a map, a compass, good worn in hiking boots or,shoes, a water bottle, a hat, a sack/backpack. A hike in the desert may be flat and easy terrain, but one can become lost, loosing the trail, and not have access to water. There was a story of an experienced British couple who made a day hike in New Mexico through a desert area, but became lost and died in the desert just miles from their car. But because the terrain was sandy, with no obvious demarcations, or distinct traits, they couldn't tell where they were.

                            Also, weather in the desert changes dramatically between day and night- hot in he day, cold at night such that if one is not prepared and has not planned out their hike, they can be in danger from climate, weather, etc.
                            Last edited by Abu Kamel; 05-11-17, 10:10 PM.
                            Allahumma, aranee al haqqu haqqan wa arzuqnee itiba`ahu, wa aranee al baatilu baatilaan wa arzuqnee ijtinaabahu.Oh Allah! show us the truth as true, and inspire us to follow it. Show us falsehood as falsehood, and inspire us to abstain from it.
                            " Do you know what destroys Islam? A mistake made by a scholar, the argument of a hypocrite in writing and the ruling of leaders who wish for people to stray

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Re: Hiking travelling

                              Originally posted by Abu Kamel View Post
                              :salams

                              I used to hike miles and miles through American parks and forests and hitch hiked through the American Midwest and West, but that was many years ago.

                              Where you would hike depends on where you live. If you live in Japan, there are many parks you can hike in. I would not suggest hiking in a warzone, however. Some years ago there was a case of Westerners hiking on the border between Iraq and Iran and they were captured by Iranian guards who then accused them of being operatives.

                              It is best to start on day hikes which are either round trips, or a hike begins at a drop off point and ends at a pick up point, like a bus stop, or a town where your ride picks you up.

                              A hikes duration depends on the terrain. Hiking up one mountain may take an entire day. It also depends on the path.
                              It once took me two days to hike up a single mountain, but that was because there was no path and I was just trailblazing. When I reached the top, it was a saddle. I got trapped up there for several days by an unexpected snowstorm.

                              Hiking on paved road, or dirt road, can mean you cover as much as 15 miles a day. Some excellent hikers can cover as much as 20-25 miles in a day on easy terrain.

                              No path, or a difficult path, can mean little progress. Difficult paths may mean steep slope, unsafe footing, unclear path, etc.

                              I recall one of the most dangerous hikes I took was across a lava field where on every step you could cut or twist your foot.

                              Also, prepare for the day hike by determining the weather, so you can plan what to wear. Hiking in winter in Japan could be beautiful, but difficult with snow drifts, or even snow storms.

                              What, where, how, when, who.

                              If you hike alone, you should leave your itinerari with a trusted family member. Even if you go wih a friend, you should leave vital info with family, so if you do not check back with them at the stated time, then can start emergency procedures.

                              There was a true story about a day hiker/biker who didn't tell anyone where he was going and got his hand caught between rocks by accident. He stayed there for days until he cut his hand off to free himself. So you might want to avoid doing that by just sharing the details of your hike wi family.

                              Also, be prepared. Don't go hiking in suicide forest below Mt Fuji and get lost, or come upon suicide victims. Know your surrounding. Japan.
                              Also, some parks in Japan have bears and monkeys, and snakes, and other potentially dangerous creatures.
                              The journey of life
                              ...And he who fears Allah - He will make for him a way out. [65:3]
                              "Put your trust in Allah, certainly, Allah loves those who put their trust (in Him)."
                              :love: [Al-Imran 3:159] :love:

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X