• Show
Clear All

Re: Hiking travelling

Originally posted by avenue1 View Post
    hiking isnt my sort of thing
    You are welcome for your input.

Originally posted by Abu Kamel View Post
    :salams

I used to hike miles and miles through American parks and forests and hitch hiked through the American Midwest and West, but that was many years ago.

Where you would hike depends on where you live. If you live in Japan, there are many parks you can hike in. I would not suggest hiking in a warzone, however. Some years ago there was a case of Westerners hiking on the border between Iraq and Iran and they were captured by Iranian guards who then accused them of being operatives.

It is best to start on day hikes which are either round trips, or a hike begins at a drop off point and ends at a pick up point, like a bus stop, or a town where your ride picks you up.

A hikes duration depends on the terrain. Hiking up one mountain may take an entire day. It also depends on the path.
    It once took me two days to hike up a single mountain, but that was because there was no path and I was just trailblazing. When I reached the top, it was a saddle. I got trapped up there for several days by an unexpected snowstorm.

Hiking on paved road, or dirt road, can mean you cover as much as 15 miles a day. Some excellent hikers can cover as much as 20-25 miles in a day on easy terrain.

No path, or a difficult path, can mean little progress. Difficult paths may mean steep slope, unsafe footing, unclear path, etc.

I recall one of the most dangerous hikes I took was across a lava field where on every step you could cut or twist your foot.

Also, prepare for the day hike by determining the weather, so you can plan what to wear. Hiking in winter in Japan could be beautiful, but difficult with snow drifts, or even snow storms.

What, where, how, when, who.

If you hike alone, you should leave your itinerari with a trusted family member. Even if you go wih a friend, you should leave vital info with family, so if you do not check back with them at the stated time, then can start emergency procedures.

There was a true story about a day hiker/biker who didn't tell anyone where he was going and got his hand caught between rocks by accident. He stayed there for days until he cut his hand off to free himself. So you might want to avoid doing that by just sharing the details of your hike wi family.

Also, be prepared. Don't go hiking in suicide forest below Mt Fuji and get lost, or come upon suicide victims. Know your surrounding. Japan.
    Also, some parks in Japan have bears and monkeys, and snakes, and other potentially dangerous creatures.
    The stories of a traveller
    I am just a simple nomad.

Ephemeral reader

Comment

[MENTION=120607]Kiro[/MENTION] I have zero experience with hiking bro. But I would like to.

Comment

Originally posted by mazuiz View Post
        [MENTION=120607]Kiro[/MENTION] I have zero experience with hiking bro. But I would like to.
        hypothetically
        I am just a simple nomad.

Ephemeral reader

Comment

Originally posted by BubbleGum View Post
          The rule of thumb is you always assume the water is not safe to drink.

The bleach water treatment method I mentioned is not the recommended method. I learned that one from my Father. The recommended methods for water treatment are Iodine tablets or special water filters designed to filter out all germs.

~Bub
          I just have a stainless steel pan or small pot i get water in that and warm it up to kill any bacteria

Comment

Originally posted by Kiro View Post
            nomad squad

[MENTION=137826]mazuiz[/MENTION] [MENTION=125806]Serinity[/MENTION] [MENTION=113309]Linkdeutscher[/MENTION] [MENTION=123813]~Umar~[/MENTION]

what you take and what would you do

I would also like to know someones thoughts like [MENTION=1489]neelu[/MENTION]
            Well it depends. If you want to play it easy:

Clothes (a lot of them...), water bottle, first aid kit, camping utensils (so your forks spoons etc etc) and bring plastic bags for storage, plastic plates, sleeping bag + lighters... That sort of thing.

If you want to play it hardcore:
            Pocket knife and just live off the animals/vegeation - Joking don't do that

Comment

[MENTION=120607]Kiro[/MENTION] Idk akh I've never really went hiking, would love to do it though. But the stuff I said first are surely some things people would bring?

Comment

I do love hiking, camping, short trips, picnics, zoo visits or any outdoors activity .. it's refreshing and makes me feel the joy of life blessing even more, makes me ponder upon the simplest stuff around me and thank Allah. I can spend several hours just gazing at vast desert, without feeling bored lol.

I can't thank Allah enough for making me one of the people who can find happiness in the very small things :)

However, being niqabi and wearing abaya can reduce such activities sometimes and prevent me from doing some stuff I love ..
                But Alhamdulliah It's all for the sake of Allah. I try my best to be myself and stay within Islamic limits at same time. If I can't and they clash .. I usually just drop my activity/ desire ..

Just reading this thread gives me the desire to go walking in my yard .. the weather is very nice these days .. winter is approching Alhamdulliah :)

Have anyone ever tried camping in their yard?^^ #crazyme

u know I'm thinking of starting Mega thread about such activities, in which we all can post whatever activity we interested in/ did / ..etc

If anyone can start it on mybehalf, I 'd appreciate it. if not I have to do it myself .. when I have time .. Insha'Allah

Have a nice day everyone :)
                How merciful Allah on me by giving me respite,and I persist in my sins and Allah shields me

Comment

Originally posted by Kiro View Post
                  hypothetically
                  Hypothetics.

Bring a multipurpose cloth/handkerchief. A water container. A sharp knife. A Swiss Army knife?
                  If you're crazy you can bring a gun too. And a book. And a journal. A coat. Thick clothing that doesn't rip easily. Maybe a staff.

And a phone charger.

Comment

Working...
                  X