Fir'aoun and the magicians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fir'aoun and the magicians

Do you know why Fir'aoun decided to punish and kill the magicians and spare Musa (as) and his brother Arun (as) ?

Re: Fir'aoun and the magicians

Originally posted by depassage View Post
    Do you know why Fir'aoun decided to punish and kill the magicians and spare Musa (as) and his brother Arun (as) ?
    From what i understood...

The Magicians were one of the key pillars of the Fironic system.

Its like the modern equivalent of the Media.

When the Magicians converted to Islam in front of everyone it was a blow to the entire system.

Its like if the whole of Hollywood + Media Establishment + Fox News converts to Islam because they understand how to craft a story/special effects and
    they see something so amazing they know deep down its not special effects because it doesnt follow the rules of special effects.

Today they would be fired from their jobs and accused of sponsoring terrorism or something by Trump.

In Firouns time he would just have them tortured and killed.

Having them killed was to try and instill fear into his establishment and re-establish himself at its head.

Having Musa (as) killed could cause a revolt from among the slaves/israelites.

Therefore it would make more political sense to defeat/defame/destroy Musa rather than having him killed so he is not turned into a martyr.

These are purely secular (worldly) reasons that come to mind, its a deep topic so worth getting opinion of scholars, Allah knows best.

Comment

He didn't exactly spare them, his first thought was to kill the magicians due to their status and his trust in them, Musa AS and his people probably went to their area of land in this time, after this the high people advises Firawn to kill Musa and his people, I assume it took a while to organise the soldiers and to inform them all that they are going kill masses of people, so Musa AS had time to advise his people and escaped, Firawn followed them right behind

It seems at most, they only waited until the next morning, based on tafseer in surah shuraa', some reasons as to why they delayed going to them are also mentioned
      Last edited by abufulaans; 11-06-17, 04:29 AM.
      ''If the bedouins and city dwellers were to fight between themselves until they wipe each other out, it will surely be less significant than them appointing a taghoot in the land which rules by that which is against the Shari'ah of Islaam which Allah sent his Messenger ﷺ with'' - Sheikh Sulayman bin Sahmaan

Comment

Originally posted by abufulaans View Post
        He didn't exactly spare them, his first thought was to kill the magicians due to their status and his trust in them, Musa AS and his people probably went to their area of land in this time, after this the high people advises Firawn to kill Musa and his people, I assume it took a while to organise the soldiers and to inform them all that they are going kill masses of people, so Musa AS had time to advise his people and escaped, Firawn followed them right behind

It seems at most, they only waited until the next morning, based on tafseer in surah shuraa', some reasons as to why they delayed going to them are also mentioned
        The whole scene with the magicians and Musa (as) throwing their stick in front of Fir’aoun was organized in the morning in front of the public.
        Fir’aoun accused the magicians of having complotted with Musa (as) who was designated as the real mastermind in this event. The decision of Fir’aoun to execute the magicians in an exemplary manner came immediately.
        As Musa was accused to me the mastermind, it is surprising that Fir’aoun didn’t order his soldiers to arrest Musa (as) and his brother on spot but contented to punish the magicians only.
        How Musa (as) and his brother escaped the scene freely without being chased or arrested?

Comment

The whole scene with the magicians and Musa (as) throwing their stick in front of Fir’aoun was organized in the morning in front of the public.
          Fir’aoun accused the magicians of having complotted with Musa (as) who was designated as the real mastermind in this event. The decision of Fir’aoun to execute the magicians in an exemplary manner came immediately.
          As Musa was accused to me the mastermind, it is surprising that Fir’aoun didn’t order his soldiers to arrest Musa (as) and his brother on spot but contented to punish the magicians only.
          How Musa (as) and his brother escaped the scene freely without being chased or arrested?
          Assalamu alaykom , I just wanted to add this to what was said.

Moses was causing a revolution of some sort within that society. He purposely wanted this meeting to be done on the day of the festival, in public for the entire town to witness. Also note that Allah mentions in the following verses that Musa should not be apprehesive because Allah is with him. And furthermore we must admit that we don't have the complete details of the event just by reading the Quran. We have what Allah willed and deemed necessary to get the story and the morals intended across.

Surah Ta Ha

And I have prepared thee for Myself (for service)(41)

"Go, thou and thy brother, with My Signs, and slacken not either, of you, in keeping Me in remembrance. (42)

"Go both of you to Pharaoh, for he has indeed transgressed all bounds; (43)

"But speak to him mildly; perchance he may take warning or fear (Allah)." (44)

They (Moses and Aaron) said: "Our Lord! we fear lest He hasten with insolence against us, or lest he transgress all bounds." (45)

He said: "Fear not: for I am with you: I hear and see (everything). (46)

"So go ye both to him, and say `Verily we are messengers sent by thy Lord: send forth, therefore, the Children of Israel with us and afflict them not: with a Sign, indeed, have we come from thy Lord! And peace to all who follow Guidance! (47)

`Verily it has been revealed to us that the Penalty (awaits) those who reject and turn away.' " (48)

(When this message was delivered), (Pharaoh) said: "Who then, O Moses, is the Lord of you two?" (49)

He said: "Our Lord is He Who gave to each (created) thing its form and nature, and further gave (it) guidance." (50)

(Pharaoh) said: "What then is the condition of previous generations?" (51)

He replied: "The knowledge of that is with my Lord duly recorded: my Lord never errs, nor forgets (52)

"He Who has made for you the earth like a carpet spread out; has enabled you to go about therein by roads (and channels); and has sent down water from the sky." With it have We produced divers pairs of plants each separate from the others. (53)

Eat (for yourselves) and pasture your cattle: verily, in this are Signs for men endued with understanding. (54)

From the (earth) did We create you, and into it shall We return you, and from it shall We bring you out once again. (55)

And We showed Pharaoh all Our Signs, but he did reject and refuse. (56)

He said: "Hast thou come to drive us out of our land with thy magic O Moses? (57)

"But we can surely produce magic to match thine! So make a tryst between us and thee, which we shall not fail to keep― neither we nor thou― in a place where both shall have even chances." (58)

Moses said: "Your tryst is the Day of the Festival, and let the people be assembled when the sun is well up." (59)

So Pharaoh withdrew: he concerted his plan, and then came (back). (60)

Moses said to them: "Woe to you! forge not ye a lie against Allah, lest He destroy you (at once) utterly by chastisement: the forger must suffer frustration!" (61)

So they disputed, one with another, over their affair, but they kept their talk secret. (62)

They said: "These two are certainly (expert) magicians: their object is to drive you out from your land with their magic, and to do away with your Most cherished institutions. (63)

"Therefore concert your plan, And then assemble in (serried) ranks: he wins (all along) today who gains the upper hand." (64)

They said: "O Moses! whether wilt thou that thou throw (first) or that we be the first to throw?" (65)

He said "Nay throw ye first!" Then behold their ropes and their rods― so it seemed to him on account of their magic― began to be in lively motion! (66)

So Moses conceived in his mind a (sort of) fear. (67)

We said: "Fear not! For thou hast indeed the upper hand
          : (68)

"Throw that which is in thy right hand: quickly will it swallow up that which they have faked. What they have faked is but a magician's trick: and the magician thrives not, (no matter) where he goes." (69)

So the magicians were thrown down to prostration: they said "We believe in the Lord of Aaron and Moses." (70)

(Pharaoh) said: "Believe ye in Him before I give you permission? Surely this must be your leader, who has taught you magic! Be sure I will cut off your hands and feet on opposite sides, and I will have you crucified on trunks of palm-trees: So shall ye know for certain, which of us can give the more severe and the more lasting Punishment!"

They said: "Never shall we regard thee as more than the Clear Signs that have come to us or than Him Who created us! So decree whatever thou desirest to decree: for thou canst only decree (touching) the life of this world. (72)

For us we have believed in our Lord: may He forgive us our faults, and the magic to which thou didst compel us: for Allah is Best and Most Abiding." (73)

Verily he who comes to his Lord as a sinner (at judgment)― for him is Hell: therein shall he neither die nor live. (74)

But such as comes to Him as Believers who have worked righteous deeds--for them are ranks exalted― (75)

Gardens of Eternity, beneath which flow rivers: they will dwell therein for aye: such is the reward of those who purify themselves (from evil). (76)

We sent an inspiration to Moses: "Travel by night with my servants, and strike a dry path for them through the sea, without fear of being overtaken (by Pharaoh) and without (any other) fear."
          (77)

-------------------------------------------------------

As to why Pharoah didn't deal with Musa right away and allowed them to even regroup / assemble the Migration with the Children of Israel , well Allah knows best what is going on behind the scenes.

What was the relationship between Moses and the Children of Israel ?
          How much influence did Moses have with the backing of the Children of Israel ?
          Did Pharoah's relationship with Musa as his "adopted son" play any effect in his dealing with him? (This is probably very significant)

Obviously some type of revolution / public outrage is taking place and Moses is clearly a Prophet after defeating the Magicians and having them convert to Islam. Perhaps the incident , being on the day of the festival in broad daylight caused an element of social pressure which granted respite to Musa / Harun (as) to regroup and migrate by night with the Children of Israel ?

Pharoah and his army were following them, so they were being persecuted and we would assume , had they been captured then they would be sentenced to death.

We really don't have the full details of the event and an element of speculation is being done here. Allah is the best of planners and He mentioned in the verses above that He is taking care of the situation. Allah caused Pharoah to bring up Moses as a baby.. for what reason was that done? Perhaps so he can have more influence on his return , only this time as a Prophet and on a mission to fight his tyranny.

Wa Allahu alam
          Last edited by AmantuBillahi; 11-06-17, 08:12 AM.

Comment

It's undeniable that Allah (swt) was protecting Musa (as) and his brother. The details of the story are not disclosed in the Quraan so I was confident that some scholars would have given the full description of that event based on authentic hadiths.

There are stories of less famous Prophets detailed in books by the scholars with much less information given in the Quraan.
            Musa (as) is among the greatest of the messengers, there should be some studies done, the opposite is quite surprising.
            Allahu A'lam.

Comment

Akhi I will bring what a few tafseer say about the issue,
              ''If the bedouins and city dwellers were to fight between themselves until they wipe each other out, it will surely be less significant than them appointing a taghoot in the land which rules by that which is against the Shari'ah of Islaam which Allah sent his Messenger ﷺ with'' - Sheikh Sulayman bin Sahmaan

Comment

It's undeniable that Allah (swt) was protecting Musa (as) and his brother. The details of the story are not disclosed in the Quraan so I was confident that some scholars would have given the full description of that event based on authentic hadiths.

There are stories of less famous Prophets detailed in books by the scholars with much less information given in the Quraan.
                Musa (as) is among the greatest of the messengers, there should be some studies done, the opposite is quite surprising.
                Allahu A'lam.
                Assalamu alaykom

Please don't be offended by this brother, but I think we need to ask, for what purpose did Allah mention the stories of previous Prophets?

And each [story] We relate to you from the news of the messengers is that by which We make firm your heart. And there has come to you, in this, the truth and an instruction and a reminder for the believers. [11:120]

There is, in their stories, instruction for men endued with understanding. It is not a tale invented, but a confirmation of what went before it,- a detailed exposition of all things, and a guide and a mercy to any such as believe. [12:111]

"And We did not send any Messenger before you (O Muhammad) but We revealed to him (saying): ‘none has the right to be worshipped but I, so worship Me.’" (21:25)

Whether or not there is a direct explanation as to what happen in the time span of Musa defeating the Magicians and migrating from Egypt I'm not sure if that makes any difference to the moral of the story.

Let's say the brother comes with a hadith which gives some clarity on the matter, to what use will it do other than saying "oh ok"

On the contrary , let's say that the Quranic narrative is all we have on this portion of the story ; what are you missing out on, really? That part of the story was not the moral of the story, and Allah took care of the situation in a manner which was befitting , much of its details we may never know because the Qur'an is not a history book. It is a book of guidance!

Hope all is well on your side.

:salams
                Last edited by AmantuBillahi; 11-06-17, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Wa alaykum assalam
                  In front of a non believer asking such question, we as muslim should be able to explain in a pertinent manner the sequence of the story.
                  To the question, why Fir'awn didn't go after them ? Replying that it's not important and we should not ask such question as it will not bring additional Value, do you think it is the right answer?

Comment

Wa alaykum assalam
                    In front of a non believer asking such question, we as muslim should be able to explain in a pertinent manner the sequence of the story.
                    To the question, why Fir'awn didn't go after them ? Replying that it's not important and we should not ask such question as it will not bring additional Value, do you think it is the right answer?
                    It could be the right answer. There are many things that Allah has left unexplained to us. We do not have the right to know, it is Allah's right to explain what He wants and keep hidden what He wants.

And in this case, knowing why Firaun didn't take care of Musa does not help us with our Deen in any way, really. But knowing that those magicians were executed for remaining steadfast on Islam and were admitted into Jannah is something that motivates us. So it could simply be that the reason Firaun focused on the magicians was so that their story could be narrated in the Quran as it has been, since Allah is in control of everything.

Another possibility could be that magicians were influential in that society, so they could have presented a greater danger to Firaun if they were allowed to go unpunished and give dawah to the people. Whereas Musa was from Bani Israel, who were slaves, and therefore had less influence in society.

Basically, in the absence of any ahadith clarifying the matter, its all just speculation and not really worth spending too much time or effort on.

Comment

Originally posted by coffeecat View Post
                      From what i understood...

The Magicians were one of the key pillars of the Fironic system.

Its like the modern equivalent of the Media.

When the Magicians converted to Islam in front of everyone it was a blow to the entire system.

Its like if the whole of Hollywood + Media Establishment + Fox News converts to Islam because they understand how to craft a story/special effects and
                      they see something so amazing they know deep down its not special effects because it doesnt follow the rules of special effects.

Today they would be fired from their jobs and accused of sponsoring terrorism or something by Trump.

In Firouns time he would just have them tortured and killed.

Having them killed was to try and instill fear into his establishment and re-establish himself at its head.

Having Musa (as) killed could cause a revolt from among the slaves/israelites.

Therefore it would make more political sense to defeat/defame/destroy Musa rather than having him killed so he is not turned into a martyr.

These are purely secular (worldly) reasons that come to mind, its a deep topic so worth getting opinion of scholars, Allah knows best.

Great Post... The magicians even today play a key role in most societies, and they are the ones that will welcome the dajjal. How long will the spread of hatred and evil against Islam last ? My guess is based on the hadith that the muslim ummah doesnt last without a Khilafa every 100 yrs i expect something to happen before 2024... Allah Knows best

9/11 signified the New World order's plan in the 3rd Millennia. There is a conflict between truth and evil.. There is a conflict between Islam and kufr , the ones leading both on each side are of small minority , the masses will have to make a choice..

Allah will bring a people whom He will love and they will love Him; humble towards the believers, stern towards the disbelievers

We muslims need to criticize the dajjal system because Islam is being attacked every day...

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave, View Post
                        Great Post... The magicians even today play a key role in most societies, and they are the ones that will welcome the dajjal. How long will the spread of hatred and evil against Islam last ? My guess is based on the hadith that the muslim ummah doesnt last without a Khilafa every 100 yrs i expect something to happen before 2024... Allah Knows best

9/11 signified the New World order's plan in the 3rd Millennia. There is a conflict between truth and evil.. There is a conflict between Islam and kufr , the ones leading both on each side are of small minority , the masses will have to make a choice..

Allah will bring a people whom He will love and they will love Him; humble towards the believers, stern towards the disbelievers

We muslims need to criticize the dajjal system because Islam is being attacked every day...
                        I saw a clip of a concert in the woods outside Brussels called Tomorrowland/ Tomorrowworld. In the clip, a young 20something said in regards of the theme of the festival ' it's as if i've been waiting for this my whole life.'.

Indeed, the magicians of the Occult slaves of Shaytan have been preparing the youth of the kufar masses for the system of Dajjal, including early childhood teaching them to turn to and accept sihr, wizards, jinn, an th illusions of 'magic' and other Occultism.

They have been using music, TV, Movies, video games to culture them. Sadly, many Muslims have joined the kufar masses as well, integrating and following them, and the integrationists including the sufi orders in the West have facilitated this misguidance.

As for the future, several ulama have determined that the centuries begin with the Hijrah of the PROPHET wherein 24:55 manifested and the Dawah t ISLAM spread. And that a mujaddid are raised in the latter half of each century. Thus, we are 12 years away from the half way mark of th 15th century, and then we can anticipate a mujaddid of great importance to raise up to not only establish 24:55, but also 61:9, :insha:.

So :insha: have sabr, myself most of all.
                        Allahumma, aranee al haqqu haqqan wa arzuqnee itiba`ahu, wa aranee al baatilu baatilaan wa arzuqnee ijtinaabahu.Oh Allah! show us the truth as true, and inspire us to follow it. Show us falsehood as falsehood, and inspire us to abstain from it.
                        " Do you know what destroys Islam? A mistake made by a scholar, the argument of a hypocrite in writing and the ruling of leaders who wish for people to stray

Comment

Maybe because the magicians worked directly under Firawn? So Firawn had control over them.

And Musa and Harun (peace be upon them) were free people of the land in contrast to the magicians.
                          Abu Malik at-Ash'ari reported:

The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said: Cleanliness is half of faith

and al-Hamdu Lillah (all praise and gratitude is for Allah alone) fills the scale, and Subhan Allah (Glory be to Allah)

and al-Hamdu Lillah fill up what is between the heavens and the earth, and prayer is a light,

and charity is proof (of one's faith)

and endurance is a brightness and the Holy Qur'an is a proof on your behalf or against you.

All men go out early in the morning and sell themselves, thereby setting themselves free or destroying themselves.

حَدَّثَنَا إِسْحَاقُ بْنُ مَنْصُورٍ، حَدَّثَنَا حَبَّانُ بْنُ هِلاَلٍ، حَدَّثَنَا أَبَانٌ، حَدَّثَنَا يَحْيَى، أَنَّ زَيْدًا، حَدَّثَهُ أَنَّ أَبَا سَلاَّمٍ حَدَّثَهُ عَنْ أَبِي مَالِكٍ الأَشْعَرِيِّ، قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏ "‏ الطُّهُورُ شَطْرُ الإِيمَانِ وَالْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ تَمْلأُ الْمِيزَانَ ‏.‏ وَسُبْحَانَ اللَّهِ وَالْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ تَمْلآنِ - أَوْ تَمْلأُ - مَا بَيْنَ السَّمَوَاتِ وَالأَرْضِ وَالصَّلاَةُ نُورٌ وَالصَّدَقَةُ بُرْهَانٌ وَالصَّبْرُ ضِيَاءٌ وَالْقُرْآنُ حُجَّةٌ لَكَ أَوْ عَلَيْكَ كُلُّ النَّاسِ يَغْدُو فَبَائِعٌ نَفْسَهُ فَمُعْتِقُهَا أَوْ مُوبِقُهَا ‏"‏ ‏.‏

Reference : Sahih Muslim 223
                          In-book reference : Book 2, Hadith 1
                          USC-MSA web (English) reference : Book 2, Hadith 432
                          (deprecated numbering scheme)

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Wa alaykum assalam
                            (Arabic Qurtubi Tafseer)
                            فأتبعوهم مشرقين أي فتبع فرعون وقومه بني إسرائيل . قال السدي : حين أشرقت الشمس بالشعاع . وقال قتادة : حين أشرقت الأرض بالضياء . قال الزجاج : يقال شرقت الشمس إذا طلعت ، وأشرقت إذا أضاءت . واختلف في تأخر فرعون وقومه عن موسى وبني إسرائيل على قولين ، أحدهما : لاشتغالهم بدفن أبكارهم في تلك الليلة ; لأن الوباء في تلك الليلة وقع فيهم ; فقوله : " مشرقين " حال لقوم فرعون . الثاني : إن سحابة أظلتهم وظلمة فقالوا : نحن بعد في الليل فما تقشعت عنهم حتى أصبحوا . وقال أبو عبيدة : معنى فأتبعوهم مشرقين ناحية المشرق . وقرأ الحسن وعمرو بن ميمون : ( فاتبعوهم مشرقين ) بالتشديد وألف الوصل ; أي نحو المشرق ; مأخوذ من قولهم : شرق وغرب إذا سار نحو المشرق والمغرب . ومعنى الكلام قدرنا أن يرثها بنو إسرائيل فاتبع قوم فرعون بني إسرائيل مشرقين فهلكوا ، وورث بنو إسرائيل بلادهم .

Comment

Originally posted by abufulaans View Post
                              (Arabic Qurtubi Tafseer)
                              فأتبعوهم مشرقين أي فتبع فرعون وقومه بني إسرائيل . قال السدي : حين أشرقت الشمس بالشعاع . وقال قتادة : حين أشرقت الأرض بالضياء . قال الزجاج : يقال شرقت الشمس إذا طلعت ، وأشرقت إذا أضاءت . واختلف في تأخر فرعون وقومه عن موسى وبني إسرائيل على قولين ، أحدهما : لاشتغالهم بدفن أبكارهم في تلك الليلة ; لأن الوباء في تلك الليلة وقع فيهم ; فقوله : " مشرقين " حال لقوم فرعون . الثاني : إن سحابة أظلتهم وظلمة فقالوا : نحن بعد في الليل فما تقشعت عنهم حتى أصبحوا . وقال أبو عبيدة : معنى فأتبعوهم مشرقين ناحية المشرق . وقرأ الحسن وعمرو بن ميمون : ( فاتبعوهم مشرقين ) بالتشديد وألف الوصل ; أي نحو المشرق ; مأخوذ من قولهم : شرق وغرب إذا سار نحو المشرق والمغرب . ومعنى الكلام قدرنا أن يرثها بنو إسرائيل فاتبع قوم فرعون بني إسرائيل مشرقين فهلكوا ، وورث بنو إسرائيل بلادهم .
                              :salams

Can you translate it for us non arabs insha'Allaah?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X