Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tipping etiquette in USA.

Asalam alikum,

I completed my tour of USA few weeks back.One thing that struck me was how explicit people were when it came to tipping.Some even demanded that they must be tipped.Some explicitly showed disgust when I politely declined their attempts. I understand that they are providing service but to be actually entitled is ridiculous. It is the customer's right to tip or not to tip.

My question is to people who live in USA or have been to USA: Do you tip frequently ? If yes,how much ?
    Have you ever encountered people who explicitly demanded tips ?
    Have you ever politely declined the request of people who ask for tips ? If yes, how did you do it ?

People from other parts of the world can also share their experiences when it comes to tipping.

Re: Tipping etiquette in USA.

:wswrwb:

I used to tip at least 15%, often 20% and I'm against the tipping system. Here's the thing, a lot of these employees rely on the tip, their bosses pay them less than minnimum wage based on the fact that tipping will cover it. It's a terrible system, but the employee is bound by it and the one who loses when not tipped.

My thing was, I looked like a Muslim, and I'll pay a good tip and not have anyone say we Muslims are stingy. Those people appreciated it and it leaves a good impression. And while I hated the system, it's not the employee's fault so I took that into consideration too.

Edit: No one ever demanded it of me but then I never gave them a chance to. One time I wasn't sure if a courrier was tipped so I asked her (was an elder lady) and she said they depend on it. So sure enough I gave her the tip.
    Last edited by علي; 24-07-16, 05:59 PM.
    والمبادرة إلى التكفير إنما تغلب على طباع من يغلب عليهم الجهل - ابن تيمية رحمه الله - بغية المرتاد

"Rushing towards takfir is an attitude which is dominant over those who are defeated by ignorance." - Ibn Taymiyyah Rahimahullah [Bughyatul Murtaad, page 354]

Comment

nobody has ever demanded from me. i only tip if i go to a proper restaurant where there are hosts and servers. usually tip between 15-20%. i dont tip if i pick up food or get something very small. i like tipping so we can start to break the stereotype that brown people are cheap and dont tip. also ive been a server in a restaurant and we didnt get paid anything basically and relied on tips. so i felt if i gave u good service i should get a certain amount BUT I NEVER DEMANDED IT. that would be very awkward and rude.

Comment

Originally posted by علي View Post

I used to tip at least 15%, often 20% and I'm against the tipping system. Here's the thing, a lot of these employees rely on the tip, their bosses pay them less than minnimum wage based on the fact that tipping will cover it. It's a terrible system, but the employee is bound by it and the one who loses when not tipped.

My thing was, I looked like a Muslim, and I'll pay a good tip and not have anyone say we Muslims are stingy. Those people appreciated it and it leaves a good impression. And while I hated the system, it's not the employee's fault so I took that into consideration too.
        funny thing is they charge so much, well over the amount required then they also force you to pay for their employees salaries on-top of that. its pretty stupid.
        "There will never cease to remain a group from my Ummah fighting upon the command of Allah, subjugating their enemies. They are not harmed by those who oppose them, until the Hour arrives".

Comment

Walaikum salaam

to OP, its considered rude to not tip, also an advice is to tip the restaurant you frequently visit if you dont want to piss them off, considering they are handling your food, you dont want to do that.
          "There will never cease to remain a group from my Ummah fighting upon the command of Allah, subjugating their enemies. They are not harmed by those who oppose them, until the Hour arrives".

Comment

Originally posted by TazZ- View Post
            Asalam alikum,

I completed my tour of USA few weeks back.One thing that struck me was how explicit people were when it came to tipping.Some even demanded that they must be tipped.Some explicitly showed disgust when I politely declined their attempts. I understand that they are providing service but to be actually entitled is ridiculous. It is the customer's right to tip or not to tip.

My question is to people who live in USA or have been to USA: Do you tip frequently ? If yes,how much ?
            Have you ever encountered people who explicitly demanded tips ?
            Have you ever politely declined the request of people who ask for tips ? If yes, how did you do it ?

People from other parts of the world can also share their experiences when it comes to tipping.

I usually tip around 10-15%.

Tips are expected and to not tip can be seen as callous, but explicitly demanding tips is something I've never experienced. Seems bizarre to me.

Comment

Just leave a note on the tip plate saying "You get your salary at the end of the month :)" lol.
              Say what somebody can do instead of the haram if you want to help.

Comment

Alhamdulillah we don't have a tipping culture in the UK. The vast majority of legal eateries pay their employees at least the minimum wage.
                Forge ahead!

Comment

Originally posted by Al-Mualim View Post
                  Alhamdulillah we don't have a tipping culture in the UK. The vast majority of legal eateries pay their employees at least the minimum wage.
                  More like they add it to the bill...most decent restaurants I've been to have added the tip to the bill...and it's embarrassing saying take it off my bill so you just pay it....
                  Women lost their modesty when men lost their gheerah..” .

Comment

Why are you against tipping? Other than the fact that a tip is expected because the workers don't make minimum wage.

Comment

Servers here hate when foreigners come to a place where tipping is basically a must, foreigners really don't tip. Servers here make $2-3 an hour and basically survive on tips, sad but true. I always tip, probably %20 and there have been occasions I've tipped 110%.

Comment

Originally posted by lailahailaHuwa View Post
                        Why are you against tipping? Other than the fact that a tip is expected because the workers don't make minimum wage.
                        I'm against it because the boss should pay employees, rather than leaving their payment at the whim of customers, something unfair to them and the customers.

Such a bad system.
                        والمبادرة إلى التكفير إنما تغلب على طباع من يغلب عليهم الجهل - ابن تيمية رحمه الله - بغية المرتاد

"Rushing towards takfir is an attitude which is dominant over those who are defeated by ignorance." - Ibn Taymiyyah Rahimahullah [Bughyatul Murtaad, page 354]

Comment

Originally posted by shay5 View Post
                          More like they add it to the bill...most decent restaurants I've been to have added the tip to the bill...and it's embarrassing saying take it off my bill so you just pay it....
                          [MENTION=119899]shay5[/MENTION] True but I tend to play it off. Oh, what's this? ..ah i'm alright thanks. I'll just pay the bill. Thanks! #OnATightBudget
                          [MENTION=138005]lailahailaHuwa[/MENTION] -Reading comprehension akhi. It's about being against the tipping culture and i'm glad we don't have it. As it is essentially exploiting of employees. :cold:
                          Forge ahead!

Comment

It is haraam in many cases.
                            You think you know more than my scholar's qiyās? He was more learned than you and all other scholars combined. Yeah, the devil was the greatest scholar too and look where his qiyās of fire being better than tīn got him. Sorry.

You follow your scholar's qiyās, and I will follow the Qur'ān and Sunnah.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkdeutscher View Post
                              It is haraam in many cases.
                              How so?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X