• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tipping etiquette in USA.

Originally posted by Stoic Believer View Post
    How so?
    Supporting haraam.
    You think you know more than my scholar's qiyās? He was more learned than you and all other scholars combined. Yeah, the devil was the greatest scholar too and look where his qiyās of fire being better than tīn got him. Sorry.

You follow your scholar's qiyās, and I will follow the Qur'ān and Sunnah.

Comment

If you're on a tight budget please do servers a favor and go to a restaurant where you serve yourself like a buffet. These people depend on your tips. The system really needs to pay these people a salary to make a living but until then they need your tips.

I've never met a server that demanded tips. If they do demand it I wouldn't tip to put that back in their place to remind them that they're getting a tip because of the kindness of my heart.

Comment

Originally posted by Bint Muaawiya View Post
        If you're on a tight budget please do servers a favor and go to a restaurant where you serve yourself like a buffet. These people depend on your tips. The system really needs to pay these people a salary to make a living but until then they need your tips.

I've never met a server that demanded tips. If they do demand it I wouldn't tip to put that back in their place to remind them that they're getting a tip because of the kindness of my heart.
        If someone is on a haraam job it's not your issue whether they get enough or not, rather we should push people away from disobeying Allah rather than supporting their haraam jobs. It is in your power whether you tip them or not, and if you do you're supporting them voluntarily.

Giving tips to people who work where haraam takes place is completely haraam since you're approving of their jobs and encouraging them.

If it's a halaal job then it depends. Read this

https://islamqa.info/en/82497

@Stoic Believer
        Last edited by Linkdeutscher; 24-07-16, 07:17 PM.
        You think you know more than my scholar's qiyās? He was more learned than you and all other scholars combined. Yeah, the devil was the greatest scholar too and look where his qiyās of fire being better than tīn got him. Sorry.

Comment

i thought tipping was only a paki thing ...

Comment

Originally posted by noobz View Post
            i thought tipping was only a paki thing ...
            I heard that word got banned.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkdeutscher View Post
              If someone is on a haraam job it's not your issue whether they get enough or not, rather we should push people away from disobeying Allah rather than supporting their haraam jobs. It is in your power whether you tip them or not, and if you do you're supporting them voluntarily.

Giving tips to people who work where haraam takes place is completely haraam since you're approving of their jobs and encouraging them.

If it's a halaal job then it depends. Read this

https://islamqa.info/en/82497

@Stoic Believer
              Wouldn't eating at that place also be forbidden then?

Comment

Originally posted by TazZ- View Post
                Asalam alikum,

I completed my tour of USA few weeks back.One thing that struck me was how explicit people were when it came to tipping.Some even demanded that they must be tipped.Some explicitly showed disgust when I politely declined their attempts. I understand that they are providing service but to be actually entitled is ridiculous. It is the customer's right to tip or not to tip.

My question is to people who live in USA or have been to USA: Do you tip frequently ? If yes,how much ?
                Have you ever encountered people who explicitly demanded tips ?
                Have you ever politely declined the request of people who ask for tips ? If yes, how did you do it ?

People from other parts of the world can also share their experiences when it comes to tipping.
                1. tipping is seeing as polite and unless there is a sign that says "no tips" it is usually assumed that you should tip. (no one tips at fast food restaurants...) The % depends on the total of the bill.

2. I have not seen anywhere that asks for tips or demands it.

3. people who do not leave tips are usually seen as rude

4. Some people tip whether or not the waiter service was good..the amount they tip may depend on it though.

Comment

how exactly did they demand it? never seen that before. it has always been optional.

tipping is pretty normal here if you sit in a restaurant and have people serve you food. you are expected to tip if you don't that is considered very rude. Also, many of the waiters depend on the tips, it is their major source of income.

Comment

:salams

Tipping? I.e. giving someone money?

Serious? Sue the company instead! it is the job of the boss to give their salary, if the boss depends on customers to give the servers their salary, they are some greedy people.. I hate greedy people.

This is stupid. why don't they just leave their job and get an actual job, not some job where you barely can make a living.. Where I live kids who work voluntarily when at school get minimum like 8$ an hour. And here (afaik) they get 2-3$ an hour? Is this even permissible in USA?

you can barely get anything with that little money.

Allahu alam.
                    Last edited by Serinity; 24-07-16, 08:46 PM.
                    La ilaha illallahu, wahdahu la sharika lahu, lahul-mulku wa lahul-hamdu, wa Huwa 'ala kulli sha'in Qadir
                    (there is no true god except Allah. He is One and He has no partner with Him; His is the sovereignty and His is the praise, and He is Omnipotent),'
                    Do not say about Allah but Truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Serinity View Post
                      :salams

Tipping? I.e. giving someone money?

Serious? Sue the company instead! it is the job of the boss to give their salary, if the boss depends on customers to give the servers their salary, they are some greedy people.. I hate greedy people.

This is stupid. why don't they just leave their job and get an actual job, not some job where you barely can make a living.. Where I live kids who work voluntarily when at school get minimum like 8$ an hour. And here (afaik) they get 2-3$ an hour? Is this even permissible in USA?

you can barely get anything with that little money.

Allahu alam.
                      they get $7.......dont know where u got the $2 thing from. pretty sure that is legal.

Comment

Originally posted by Atwork. View Post
                        they get $7.......dont know where u got the $2 thing from. pretty sure that is legal.
                        I live in the Midwest and Buffalo Wild Wings pays $2 an hour and most serving restaurants don't go past the $5 and that's if it's a high end restaurant. The rest is from tips.

Comment

Originally posted by Bint Muaawiya View Post
                          I live in the Midwest and Buffalo Wild Wings pays $2 an hour and most serving restaurants don't go past the $5 and that's if it's a high end restaurant. The rest is from tips.
                          just checked apperently the minimum federal wage for waitress is $2 dollars.......

Comment

Originally posted by Atwork. View Post
                            Oh ok. :jkk:

And Allah :swt: knows best.
                            La ilaha illallahu, wahdahu la sharika lahu, lahul-mulku wa lahul-hamdu, wa Huwa 'ala kulli sha'in Qadir
                            (there is no true god except Allah. He is One and He has no partner with Him; His is the sovereignty and His is the praise, and He is Omnipotent),'
                            Do not say about Allah but Truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Serinity View Post
                              Oh ok. :jkk:

And Allah :swt: knows best.
                              that was wrong. apparently, only my city does the $7 an hour thing. but they still need the tips cuz they dont work 8 hours.......sorry for the error.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic Believer View Post
                                Wouldn't eating at that place also be forbidden then?
                                Yes in the strictest sense. What do you think? Would the sahaba go eat at places where alcohol is served?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X