The Donor Breast Milk Conundrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Donor Breast Milk Conundrum

Whats wrong with using goats milk? I am not a parent, but I hear that it is a good substitute. I wouldn't trust a woman that would be willing to take pay for breastfeeding my kids either. What if she ends up breastfeeding a potential future spouse for one of them, and when we find out it's too late and they're married with kids?

Comment

Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post
      This thread reminds me of the infamous fatwa that came out of al-Azhar University nine years ago, where a cleric ruled that if a female employee breast fed her male co-workers on five separate occasions, then they became relatives and could work together without supervision:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6681511.stm

Needless to say, the fatwa was retracted...

Comment

Originally posted by Abisali View Post
        Whats wrong with using goats milk? I am not a parent, but I hear that it is a good substitute. I wouldn't trust a woman that would be willing to take pay for breastfeeding my kids either. What if she ends up breastfeeding a potential future spouse for one of them, and when we find out it's too late and they're married with kids?
        Goats milk is no substitute for milk that was specially formulated for the consumption of human children. There is no reason not to trust the woman, you just need to ensure she makes a record of the children she has breastfed on five separate occasions so that they may know that they are siblings and cannot marry one another.

Originally posted by ashmeo View Post
        Yeah, I actually heard a hadith about this but I don't know if it's fabricated or weak because I saw it from a dubious source. I'd rather not share it but perhaps [MENTION=105052]Darul Ilm[/MENTION] or [MENTION=35595]Abu Musab[/MENTION] could shed some light on the situation?
        And when it is said to them, "Do not cause corruption on the earth," they say, "We are but reformers." (11) Unquestionably, it is they who are the corrupters, but they perceive [it] not. (12) - Surat al-Baqarah
        http://www.ummzakiyyah.com/polygamy_not_my_problem/

Comment

Allah decided to mention it in the Qur'an...that should be sufficient...If a woman does not have a son, she can nurse a baby (2 and under )and he can become a mahram for her and her daughter/s......I am so surprised you have never heard of a milk nurse...all those biblical or Quranic stories...The story of Musa (as) ????

Originally posted by Tide2006 View Post
          The "not being allowed to marry...etc" part is not what is weird to me. Who in the world would want to suckle someones kid that is not theirs??? Also, what mother would allow another woman to suckle their kid???

Maybe it is a cultural Arab/middle east thing....
          There are statues of wet nurses in 16th century Belgium... ........since you are a man then you wil never have to worry about this but as a female I have no issue with nursing a non related starving baby.....but I am not lactating so I guess I won't be doing this any time soon....:grey:
          Women lost their modesty when men lost their gheerah..” .

Comment

IslamQA

http://i47.tinypic.com/do8kmw.jpg

Comment

This is so wrong in so many ways...
              I love you, cherish you and worship you,
              Guide me on your path to your janna,
              Unite me beside you My King and all mighty,

:love:Allah:love:

Comment

Weren't there wet nurses back in the day? Isn't that the same thing?

Comment

Originally posted by shay5 View Post
                  Allah decided to mention it in the Qur'an...that should be sufficient...If a woman does not have a son, she can nurse a baby (2 and under )and he can become a mahram for her and her daughter/s......I am so surprised you have never heard of a milk nurse...all those biblical or Quranic stories...The story of Musa (as) ????

There are statues of wet nurses in 16th century Belgium... ........since you are a man then you wil never have to worry about this but as a female I have no issue with nursing a non related starving baby.....but I am not lactating so I guess I won't be doing this any time soon....:grey:

I meant that I had never heard of it being forbidden for babies nursed by the same women, to marry.

I also figured, people do not do this anymore in more advanced countries, much less have a "milk bank"

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                  X