X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I'm terribly afraid of the dentist

Originally posted by brightesthour View Post
    :sorrow:
    Dont weep and clean your nosy..Be a brave girl...you must be thankful you arent in our regions where there are vlcertain dentists who treat your previous problem half and point out a healthy tooth so that you keep.visiting them paying them yet its only you who are able to figure out once you change tbe dentist..:numbness: Ok good luck!
    ".......He giveth and spendeth (of His bounty) as He pleaseth. But the revelation that cometh to thee from Allah increaseth in most of them (kuffar) their obstinate rebellion and blasphemy.Amongst them we have placed enmity and hatred till the Day of Judgment. Every time they kindle the fire of war, Allah doth extinguish it;but they (ever) strive to do mischief on earth. And Allah loveth not those who do mischief."(5:64)

Comment

Explain this to your dentist, if they are professional they will go easy on you.

you won't choke to death don't worry, its not as scary as you think...

Comment

I guess the first part doesn't sound too bad. But I think I may have a cavity, so what will they do? I dunno if they'll use their scary tools on it

Really..why was it more painful? That's scary lol
        When I got my cavity filled, it didn't hurt. They used medicine to nub the area and waited until it took effect before preceding. It felt very weird, but not painful.

The dentist is really nothing to be afraid of. Everyone goes. Either you go and get it over with and get the cleaning and procedures that you need, or you don't and your teeth's health may worsen much over the years. Which would you rather take?

If you are that worried, take a stress reliever pill shortly before you go. If you feel comfortable, let them know that it's been a while and you feel nervous. At my dentist, the dentist sometimes chats with you and maintains a light and friendly atmosphere, so you're not focused on what's being done to your teeth but rather the conversation that you are having (although it's mostly one-sided).

Don't focus on what they're doing. Don't look at the tools that they are putting in your mouth. Follow instructions, remember that you can breathe easily through your nose, relax. Shut your eyes if you have to. Alternatively, focus on something interesting in the room. (At my dentist all the dentist chairs face a wall with a wallpapered nature landscape, like a beach, ocean, forest, etc.) Think about something else while you're there. Let your mind go.

Don't overthink your dentist trip before you go. You're only giving yourself a million more reasons to be nervous. You will be fine InshaAllah. :)

Comment

My fear has gone down quite a bit, I think maybe it'll come back when I make an appointment up until the point I sit in the chair. But I'm not as freaked as I was.

Comment

Originally posted by Nawar View Post
            Insh'Allah you find a good dentist. Maybe book for an initial consultation, just a check up, no drills or pliers :o and tell them about your nerves. You might find just getting used to the chair/place is enough to calm your anxiety. Yeah they can give like one tablet you take about 30 mins before your appointment. But they'd have to be convinced you suffer from the anxiety which would prevent you being able to have treatment you need. This is in UK anyway.
            Ah that might be a UK thing, I don't know if they'll do that here. Although I am on anxiety meds, well I'm trying to wean myself off, but maybe I can take one the night before I go so it'll calm my nerves a bit.

Comment

My fear has gone down quite a bit, I think maybe it'll come back when I make an appointment up until the point I sit in the chair. But I'm not as freaked as I was.
              Going to the dentist is not as bad as you think, believe me, I was perhaps even more afraid, like super afraid, of the dentist - until I went and discovered it wasnt so bad after all.:victorious:

Hadhrat Ali (Radiallahu anhu)

Comment

Ask for a sticker and a lolly or whatever else they give to kids for being brave. I did that when I got a massive needle stuck in my mouth - the sticker at the end makes you feel like a big girl :) oh and you can stick it on the washing machine or fridge and whenever you see it, it'll remind you of how brave you were that day at the dentist.

No jokes in this post. Its 100% serious.

لا تفكر كثيرا
                بل استغفر كثيرا

-------------------------------------------------------
                The children need your prayers more than anyone else
                -------------------------------------------------------
                www.inheritorsofquran.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sky Lark View Post
                  Going to the dentist is not as bad as you think, believe me, I was perhaps even more afraid, like super afraid, of the dentist - until I went and discovered it wasnt so bad after all.:victorious:
                  Good to know lol. I'm hoping that'll be the same for me.

Originally posted by F_R View Post
                  Ask for a sticker and a lolly or whatever else they give to kids for being brave. I did that when I got a massive needle stuck in my mouth - the sticker at the end makes you feel like a big girl :) oh and you can stick it on the washing machine or fridge and whenever you see it, it'll remind you of how brave you were that day at the dentist.

No jokes in this post. Its 100% serious.
                  A massive needle in the mouth, oh my days lol

I want a lollipop though...is it sugar free? I can't imagine a dentist giving you the good stuff in well, a dentist office lol

Comment

I need to find a dentist because it has been veerrrrrryy long since I've last seen one. And since I have my own health insurance I have to find my own, which whoever I do find will probably suck because the people who do accept my medical plan are usually awful. My mom likes her dentist, and she's like me she's scared of going, but I doubt he accepts my medical plan :(. She's gonna ask for me today, but I very much doubt it'll work.

I just don't like the idea of sitting in a chair, with my mouth open and someone digging around in there. I'm very gaggy lately, I can't even brush my teeth without gagging. Talking about gagging makes me gag too. I haven't gotten my wisdom teeth removed yet either so I know they'll probably want to do that as well goodness no. I'm gonna die when I go I know I will, I'll have a panic attack and choke to death.

:
                    me too sister!!
                    I am terrified!

Comment

just take a gun with you as an American. any funny business and you let them know who is boss.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                      X