Fair Assessment of Salafi and Sufi methodology thread in your own words:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fair Assessment of Salafi and Sufi methodology thread in your own words:

Without bias, describe the methodological differences between Salafis and Sufis, and how you chose to endorse one over the other.

Salafism: People who follow the principle that all acts of ibadah are haram until proven halal, meaning that all acts of ibadah have to be proven to have been preformed by the Prophet (saws) and his ashab, and that those acts of worship in religion that were not done by the Prophet (saws) and his companions are rejected. People who also believe that acts of worship have time, place, and condition. For instance, seeking shifa' through the Prophet (saws) is allowed on DOJ (Day of Judgment) but not allowed now in dunya because there is a time and place of permissibility, just as sex is haram zina before marriage but becomes an halal act of worship after a person becomes married. People who also believe that bid'ah is the imitation of ibadah, and Umar's (ra) hadith about bid'ah is misused and the context was in relation to adding an Imam to qiyam, which was not an imitation of religious ibadah (i.e what Salafis define bid'ah as) since the night prayer itself was already being preformed and the Prophet (saws) himself led it for several nights in his own life time. So a person cannot use that hadith of Umar (ra) organizing the night prayer to invent a random form of worship. Salafis are also those who do not use da'if ahadith for rulings or worship, and their muhaditheen merely catalog them in books for record keeping just as mawdoo' are recorded for record keeping, Salafis will only use a da'if hadith in practice and bring it to the level of hasan if its matn are corroborated by numerous other ahadith but they will never raise it to the highest rank. Salafis practice Islam away from the grey areas/margins.

Sufism: People who follow the principle that acts of ibadah are halal until proven haram, meaning that even if the act wasn't preformed by the Prophet (saws) it is considered sound if it brings closeness to Allah (swt). Acts are determined to bring closeness to Allah (swt), based on euphoric emotion and the feeling that the act produces even though there are no living Prophets in dunya (Rasoolullah is in Barzakh and Jesus was raised up to another world) who is here among us to inform of us that Allah (swt) has accepted those new acts. People who if you argue with them, you have to bring the proof not the other way around. Time, condition, and place of ibadah is not much of a concern, as many of them seek shifa' now in the dunya from those in the grave, including auliyat and non-Prophets. People who say that ibadah cannot be haram one minute, and halal later. People who took the hadith about Umar (ra) to assume that a person could create an entire new form of worship such as sama (dervish dance that originated from the Mevlevi Sufis who were Rumi's disciples) wird (daily chants repeated for specific number of times), Mawlid (celebration originally started by the Fatimid Shia), etc. So instead of Umar's (ra) hadith being seen as an example of the Caliph organizing a prayer that was already being prayed and had already been led, the hadith is seen as an example for inventing worship with zero precedence. Sufis are people who may use da'if ahadith for ibadah, recite them, and pass them down for generations as they become blended with sahih and hasan ahadith. This is irregardless if that da'if hadith's matn has been collobarated by stronger ahadith. Sufis accept Islamic practices near the margins and grey areas.

How I/You Chose: I reverted to Islam so I wasn't raised with cultural ties to either methodology or forced by any local culture, so I studied them both from the outside-looking in. And as stated before, Salafis practice Islam away from the grey areas, force people to prove what they do, and reject it when it goes unproven. Their methodology is encapsulated in a hadith that goes: An-Nu'man bin Bashir (May Allah be pleased with them) reported: Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said, "What is lawful is clear and what is unlawful is clear, but between them are certain doubtful things which many people do not know. So he who guards against doubtful things keeps his religion and his honour blameless. But he who falls into doubtful things falls into that which is unlawful, just as a shepherd who grazes his cattle in the vicinity of a pasture declared prohibited (by the king); he is likely to stray into the pasture. Mind you, every king has a protected pasture and Allah's involved limits is that which He has declared unlawful. Verily, there is a piece of flesh in the body, if it is healthy, the whole body is healthy, and if it is corrupt, the whole body is corrupt. Verily, it is the heart."
    Last edited by Harun1004; 02-07-16, 02:12 PM.

I'm on a strict time management regiment and have to limit my time online. Therefore I have to reply selectively. Please don't be offended if I ignore your questions. :jkk:

Comment

Re: Fair Assessment of Salafi and Sufi methodology thread in your own words:

Excellent summary of the Sufi Path.

My Blog ---> Reflections of the Traveler http://baraka.wordpress.com

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
      X