• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pride and arrogance

seed

Re: Pride and arrogance

Originally posted by TakeCareIman View Post
    Abdullah ibn Mas’ud reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “He will not enter Hellfire who has the weight of a seed of faith in his heart and he will not enter Paradise who has the weight of a seed of arrogance in his heart.”

Source: Sahih Muslim 91

Salam. How can we make sure we have no pride or arrogance in our hearts? May Allah protect us from such evil.
    Aameen. :jkk: I would like to know too.

A man came to Aisha (ra) and asked: “When will I know that I am pious?” She said: “When you realize that you are a sinner.“ He said: “And when will I realize I am a sinner?” She replied: “When you think you are pious.” [as- Samaqandee “Tanbeeh Al-Ghafileen,” 251]

Comment

Originally posted by ashmeo View Post
      Aameen. :jkk: I would like to know too.

A man came to Aisha (ra) and asked: “When will I know that I am pious?” She said: “When you realize that you are a sinner.“ He said: “And when will I realize I am a sinner?” She replied: “When you think you are pious.” [as- Samaqandee “Tanbeeh Al-Ghafileen,” 251]
      :sub:

I am so scared Allah wont accept me, it says even if its such little pride (a seeds amount) we wont be accepted, this worries me so much. Kind of reminds me of the verses in surah nisa where Allah speaks of the hypocrites. Please make dua for me.

Comment

Imagine the wait in the day of judgement, then finding out you're going straight to hell because of the little amount of pride you had in this dunyah.

Comment

Imagine the wait in the day of judgement, then finding out you're going straight to hell because of the little amount of pride you had in this dunyah.
          May Allah protect us! I wish the fear would be at the back of my mind always but I'm so forgetful.

Comment

May Allah protect us! I wish the fear would be at the back of my mind always but I'm so forgetful.
            Ameen. Wallahi that is what I fear the most, imagine doing it unknowingly SubhanAllah, may he protect us.

Anyone have any advice in Sha Allah, this is a topic we avoid yet it is one of the most easiest to fall in to.

Comment

Ameen. Wallahi that is what I fear the most, imagine doing it unknowingly SubhanAllah, may he protect us.

Anyone have any advice in Sha Allah, this is a topic we avoid yet it is one of the most easiest to fall in to.
              Abu Huraira R.A reported that the Prophet said, "Renew your faith." "How can we renew our faith?" they asked. The Prophet replied: "Say always:*la ilaha illallah."[15]

Allah's Messenger (saw) said, "Allah said, 'I will declare war against him who shows hostility to a pious worshipper of Mine. And the most beloved things with which My slave comes nearer to Me, is what I have enjoined upon him; and My slave keeps on coming closer to Me through performing Nawafil (praying or doing extra deeds besides what is obligatory) till I love him, so I become his sense of hearing with which he hears, and his sense of sight with which he sees, and his hand with which he grips, and his leg with which he walks; and if he asks Me, I will give him, and if he asks My protection (Refuge), I will protect him; (i.e. give him My Refuge) and I do not hesitate to do anything as I hesitate to take the soul of the believer, for he hates death, and I hate to disappoint him."

[Sahih Bukhari: Volume 8, Book 76, Number 509]

Hope this helps

Comment

Abu Huraira R.A reported that the Prophet said, "Renew your faith." "How can we renew our faith?" they asked. The Prophet replied: "Say always:*la ilaha illallah."[15]

Allah's Messenger (saw) said, "Allah said, 'I will declare war against him who shows hostility to a pious worshipper of Mine. And the most beloved things with which My slave comes nearer to Me, is what I have enjoined upon him; and My slave keeps on coming closer to Me through performing Nawafil (praying or doing extra deeds besides what is obligatory) till I love him, so I become his sense of hearing with which he hears, and his sense of sight with which he sees, and his hand with which he grips, and his leg with which he walks; and if he asks Me, I will give him, and if he asks My protection (Refuge), I will protect him; (i.e. give him My Refuge) and I do not hesitate to do anything as I hesitate to take the soul of the believer, for he hates death, and I hate to disappoint him."

[Sahih Bukhari: Volume 8, Book 76, Number 509]

Hope this helps

:sub: that is so beautiful, jazakallah khayr.

Lets make sure to renew our intention in all that we do, peform deeds in secret if we can, praise people less. And be grateful. :insha:

Comment

@I See You

You might have some knowledge on this topic.
                  The Messenger of Allah ﷺ said: “It will be said to the companion of the Qur’an: ‘Read, and ascend, and recite as you used to recite in the [previous] world, for your status will be according to the last verse that you recite.’” [At-Tirmidhi (2914) and Abu Dawood (1464)]

Comment

Reminds me of the saying of scholars about
                    A sin that leads to jannah...of course remorsing over the sin and regretting...

Comment

Pride and arrogance

:sub:

I'd just like to remind you all to make sure you do loads of deeds in secret. I remember the other day where the sheikh was like if you fear your charity may not be accepted because of the way you did it and your attitude after it (Eg, showing off) then repent sincerely and give charity again in private, that way, you're pleasing no one but Him. SubhanAllah may Allah protect us from such evil.

To me first, second and third then to you all.
                      The Messenger of Allah ﷺ said: “It will be said to the companion of the Qur’an: ‘Read, and ascend, and recite as you used to recite in the [previous] world, for your status will be according to the last verse that you recite.’” [At-Tirmidhi (2914) and Abu Dawood (1464)]

Comment

Wa'alaykumsalam,

Yeah that's one of the most difficult battles in life. We should always try to be humble no matter the outcome of our life. The one reason which I personally feel is the main cause of pride and arrogance is, Wealth. The fitnah that comes with wealth is one of the greatest fitnah (I think even greater than the fitnah of only women) which could literally destroy a person, especially those who jumped status. Like one of my elder said " Money is a Muslim's biggest enemy ". Our Prophet said " 'Is it poverty that you fear? By the One in Whose Hand is my soul, (the delights and luxuries of) this world will come to you in plenty, and nothing will cause the heart of anyone of you to deviate except that " (Ibn Majah)

With increased wealth (especially sudden increase), we feel as if we rule the earth, we feel an elevated status, extravagant lifestyle, wastage, show-off, difficulty in giving charity and so on, for this reason our Prophet also said " By Allah! It is not poverty that I fear for you, but what I fear for you is that the world will be presented for you just as it was presented for those before you,then you will compete for it, just as they competed for it, and it will destroy you, just as it destroyed them.' " (Tirmidhi).

Therefore, we should always try to be humble with our wealth, we should always remember that Allah is the one who gave us and He can take it away and so we gotta be thankful/grateful. I would advise people to never ask Allah that you want to be rich, instead ask Allah to provide what is sufficient for you and to protect you from its evil. Donate more in charity. Do not spend for no reason. Try to always spend for the sake of Allah. Keep in mind that, your wealth will never accompany you to the grave, so live simple and as a traveler.

My mate always used to say to those who show attitude " Tere awqat mat bulo " (I think roughly meant as 'Don't forget where you came from')

The other reason I could think of is, Knowledge. Imam Dhahabi Al Shafi'i said : "The wickedest arrogance is that of someone who exalts himself over people because of his learning and gloats to himself about his superiority. The knowledge of such a person is of absolutely no benefit to him. Whoever learns sacred knowledge for the sake of the next world is unsettled by his learning, his heart is humbled and his ego lowered. Such a person lies in wait for his selfishness and never gives it free rein. He constantly takes his ego to task and corrects it. Were he to neglect it, it would diverge from the right path and destroy him. ."

What Imam Al Dhabai said is very evident in this forum (especially the last underlined part).

Lastly, our Prophet also defined arrogance as "..looking down on people." (Muslim).. So no matter if he/she is light/dark, learned/unlearned, rich/poor, east/west, young/old, male/female etc, we should respect and appreciate everyone equally. We should never discriminate on anything and/or think of ourself as superior. Sometimes we may 'act' respectful but 'inside', we despise them and so that is the seed you gotta get rid off. May Allah protect us.

Comment

Read and ponder upon surah kahf with its meaning every fridays
                          [SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][B][U][CENTER]Oh Allah, in your name, I die and live.[/CENTER][/U][/B][/FONT][/SIZE]
                          [CENTER]:):lailah::lailah::lailah::lailah::)[/CENTER]

[B][CENTER]Ya Allah, Grant Me A Heart That Sees[/CENTER][/B]

Comment

Salamu Alaykum. Another great way is by respecting other people's rights over you.

Comment

Idk about wealth being the origin of pride, Allah gifted us with different things we excel at and I believe it is these things that will test us. These things that validate who we are and what we know of ourselves. They have the potential to destroy us; whether it is wealth, knowledge, beauty, strength, etc. There is something you excel at that gives you a sense of meaning, a purpose that is specific to you, at least this is what I've observed in people as myself. It's what we all seem to strive for after all and of course it is understandable. It's how we let ourselves be who we are, it's how we have self esteem and how we keep ourselves from being envious or depressed etc. Yet this being a taken a step further, a step too far, into vanity and pride is the cause of ruination.

It helps like mentioned above not to publicise the things you do, to humble oneself in front of Allah and IMO... To get some real perspective on our lives. It's too easy to think in terms of small fish spheres, look beyond you and realise that so much has been achieved and so much has been had that you're just on a spectrum. Obviously, this can make people aim for more worldly ambitions - more wealth, etc. or anything that validates them - thus there is a fine line to tread. Life wasn't meant to be easy, however it wasn't made to be hell either.
                              Ya Muqallib al-Quloob, thabbit qalbi 'alaa Deenik
                              O' Converter of Hearts, make my heart steadfast upon Thy Way
                              We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X