Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homesickness, is that a serious problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homesickness, is that a serious problem?

I have lived abroad since 8 years and sometimes I feel I am seriously homesick. I miss my country and feel anxious to be back all the time. I try to kill time and stay sane with the help of alcohol and smoking, other days I am focused on religion. But I cannot find a permanent escape from homesickness. Ofcourse people will ask me to go back, but it is not in my hands. Do any of you here suffer from homesickness? How do you fight/cope with it? Is it a serious problem for you?

Re: Homesickness, is that a serious problem?

:salams

I really suffered homesickness for a long time. I was only able to see family for 2 weeks a year, and it really wasn't enough. I had such a hard time and there were no other Muslim sisters I could really be with until much later. I'm not saying this just to say it, but really, occupying yourself with your faith and reading the qur'an helps a lot. You won't feel as lonely, subhanAllah. I also went to exercise and go out for walks just to do something rather than sitting and let my thoughts wander about home. When more Muslim sisters came around, we organized a sisters circle and every week we met to support each other and talk about Islam. It also helped a lot, alhamdulillah.

Brother, don't take the means of using alcohol and smoking as a resort to help you with your feelings because it definitely won't help you. It is just making you escape those thoughts temporarily, but it won't help you in actually solving your emotions, you're just damaging yourself and your imaan. Meet with Muslim brothers and do something beneficial with your time. If you can visit your home for some time, do so. If not, then don't worry, but do something constructive with your time, and insha'Allah it will help. Make lots of du'a, read and listen to Qur'an, play the Qur'an at home, read Islamic books, make your place into a home where you actually want to go to.

It takes time and your homesickness won't be gone overnight, it's something you need to take off your mind by occupying yourself with healthy things.
    "Let the days do as they please, and be optimistic when destiny decrees. Do not despair due to the events of the past, for the events of this world were not meant to last." - Imam Shafi'i

Comment

Originally posted by Hataw View Post
      :salams

I really suffered homesickness for a long time. I was only able to see family for 2 weeks a year, and it really wasn't enough. I had such a hard time and there were no other Muslim sisters I could really be with until much later. I'm not saying this just to say it, but really, occupying yourself with your faith and reading the qur'an helps a lot. You won't feel as lonely, subhanAllah. I also went to exercise and go out for walks just to do something rather than sitting and let my thoughts wander about home. When more Muslim sisters came around, we organized a sisters circle and every week we met to support each other and talk about Islam. It also helped a lot, alhamdulillah.

Brother, don't take the means of using alcohol and smoking as a resort to help you with your feelings because it definitely won't help you. It is just making you escape those thoughts temporarily, but it won't help you in actually solving your emotions, you're just damaging yourself and your imaan. Meet with Muslim brothers and do something beneficial with your time. If you can visit your home for some time, do so. If not, then don't worry, but do something constructive with your time, and insha'Allah it will help. Make lots of du'a, read and listen to Qur'an, play the Qur'an at home, read Islamic books, make your place into a home where you actually want to go to.

It takes time and your homesickness won't be gone overnight, it's something you need to take off your mind by occupying yourself with healthy things.
      Walaikumassalam.

Thanks for your response and advice.

No matter where I have lived I have been able to visit the mosque on daily basis.

But its the lonely nights and the gloom of a foreign country that makes me fall into bad things such as alcohol, smoking etc. These things help for sometimes and make my time pass by, but like you said it leads to long term side effects especially addiction.

However I am trying other things such as eating out, video games and forum posting in order to keep myself occupied, rest I just lie down on my bed and hope to return to my home country sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by The Hillside View Post
        I have lived abroad since 8 years and sometimes I feel I am seriously homesick. I miss my country and feel anxious to be back all the time. I try to kill time and stay sane with the help of alcohol and smoking, other days I am focused on religion. But I cannot find a permanent escape from homesickness. Ofcourse people will ask me to go back, but it is not in my hands. Do any of you here suffer from homesickness? How do you fight/cope with it? Is it a serious problem for you?
        Are you able to call family by phone, use Viber, or Skype them? If you are able to do so multiple times a day, that can really help curb the homesickness.
        Having a healthy social life is helpful as well. If you can try to make good friends who understand your struggles and try to help you then it can make a big difference.

Most people find it incredibly difficult when they are away from family. Some may even get depressed,especially if their happiness and lives revolved around their family.

Make duaa insha allah, I know it is not easy. May Allah reunite you with family in the near future. Ameen.
        [MENTION=124542]Hataw[/MENTION] wonderful advice sister :)
        Thee do we worship, and Thine aid we seek.

Comment

Originally posted by Figs View Post
          Are you able to call family by phone, use Viber, or Skype them? If you are able to do so multiple times a day, that can really help curb the homesickness.
          Having a healthy social life is helpful as well. If you can try to make good friends who understand your struggles and try to help you then it can make a big difference.

Most people find it incredibly difficult when they are away from family. Some may even get depressed,especially if their happiness and lives revolved around their family.

Make duaa insha allah, I know it is not easy. May Allah reunite you with family in the near future. Ameen.
          [MENTION=124542]Hataw[/MENTION] wonderful advice sister :)
          Thanks for response.

It is not just the living with family, but I am missing my home country itself. I think I am more suitable to live in my home country instead of some foreign place.

And well friends, it is really hard to find religious friends, most of the friends are really worldly and with them I am more vulnerable to fall in to bad things.

Lets just wait for time to pass by hopefully things will be alright.

Comment

Originally posted by The Hillside View Post
            Thanks for response.

It is not just the living with family, but I am missing my home country itself. I think I am more suitable to live in my home country instead of some foreign place.

And well friends, it is really hard to find religious friends, most of the friends are really worldly and with them I am more vulnerable to fall in to bad things.

Lets just wait for time to pass by hopefully things will be alright.
            I see. It's okay, some environments just are not suitable for some people. I can testify to that.

Insha allah this time passes quickly and things become alright for you.
            Thee do we worship, and Thine aid we seek.

Comment

Sorry I can't offer any useful coping advice... i'm the same way... I've been lots of places and got homesick each time and returned after a few months. I eventually returned because my homesickness was literally making me ill (cant eat, cant sleep, nausea). I hate being away from my town and I haven't broken that flaw of mine yet unfortunately. I've had opportunities to go to large cities and I keep rejecting them because I know i'll quit after a few months and come home lol

maybe your country is the best place for you? maybe it's in your qadr and that's why you can't get over it.
              I want your reflections on THIS Thread, please post!
              Abandon rebellion, for knowledge is a light - And the light of Allah is not bestowed upon a rebel." [video]

Comment

Go back to the religion, stay away from alcohol, pray 5 times a day (dont miss fajr). do this then come back later after 2 weeks.
                "There will never cease to remain a group from my Ummah fighting upon the command of Allah, subjugating their enemies. They are not harmed by those who oppose them, until the Hour arrives".

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                  Go back to the religion, stay away from alcohol, pray 5 times a day (dont miss fajr). do this then come back later after 2 weeks.
                  Thanks.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                  X