Are food Nazrs Islamic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are food Nazrs Islamic?

My mom has these women 'get togethers' where they have a dastarkhaan with changali and cookies and candy and water in the center. They say a bunch of duas and call it 'holy food'. If I don't wanna eat it, she'll yell at me saying its nazr and they turn from unhealthy to healthy.

Is this Islamic?
    Nice being here, but better I delete this account to study. Nice meeting y'all!
    Maybe I'll be back someday...

Re: Are food Nazrs Islamic?

Originally posted by bolani muslim View Post
    My mom has these women 'get togethers' where they have a dastarkhaan with changali and cookies and candy and water in the center. They say a bunch of duas and call it 'holy food'. If I don't wanna eat it, she'll yell at me saying its nazr and they turn from unhealthy to healthy.

Is this Islamic?
    No. its a cultural practice exclusive to your country/people.

Comment

Is this Islamic?
      Yes, it can be. Praying over food for Asl e sawab is a common Muslim practice. There is hadiths on it too

I guess there is never a problem making dua over food either

Comment

Is this Islamic?
        No...... it's not.

It's alright if they have a friendly meeting with food but the moment they start making duas upon food and claim it's holy and "turn from unhealthy to healthy" is the moment they practice bi'dah....
        "There will never cease to remain a group from my Ummah fighting upon the command of Allah, subjugating their enemies. They are not harmed by those who oppose them, until the Hour arrives".

Comment

I had a feeling it was bidah :/

Comment

yeah it's bi'dah brother as your family are shia's i'm guessing there's more bi'dah that they do, and maybe you don't know that it bi'dah yet, in the way that understandably you were unsure about this, because you were brought up a Shi'a.

Make Du'aa for your family too, insha ' allah, do they know that you follow ahlus sunnah wal jamaah? if you don't mind me asking, how was their reaction towards this (if they do know)? And have you spoken to them about following that too? I know it can't be easy for you.

May Allah s.w.t reward you abundantly, little brother.
            And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record�
            [al-An�aam 6:59]

Comment

Originally posted by Creamcake View Post
              yeah it's bi'dah brother as your family are shia's i'm guessing there's more bi'dah that they do, and maybe you don't know that it bi'dah yet, in the way that understandably you were unsure about this, because you were brought up a Shi'a.

Make Du'aa for your family too, insha ' allah, do they know that you follow ahlus sunnah wal jamaah? if you don't mind me asking, how was their reaction towards this (if they do know)? And have you spoken to them about following that too? I know it can't be easy for you.

May Allah s.w.t reward you abundantly, little brother.
              1. No, I've tried talking about it before, but my mom has told me explicitly that 'asking questions will lead me to hell' :p.
              2. My mom noticed that I 'changed', originally I'd talk to my mom a lot about religion (Quran praising Sahaba, Quran discussing tawhid, how Shias do lots of bidah, ect), but instead of my mom becoming open minded, she started threatening me. Better if I wait till I have a career and can support myself.
              3. I have talked to 3 Shias at the Imambara about it, one knows I converted and is trying to make me Sh, one doesn't care and on his own adopted mostly Sunni beliefs (minus fiqh), I only talked to the 3rd Shia about it once, so he probably thinks I'm Shia again :p

Comment

1. No, I've tried talking about it before, but my mom has told me explicitly that 'asking questions will lead me to hell' :p.
                2. My mom noticed that I 'changed', originally I'd talk to my mom a lot about religion (Quran praising Sahaba, Quran discussing tawhid, how Shias do lots of bidah, ect), but instead of my mom becoming open minded, she started threatening me. Better if I wait till I have a career and can support myself.
                3. I have talked to 3 Shias at the Imambara about it, one knows I converted and is trying to make me Sh, one doesn't care and on his own adopted mostly Sunni beliefs (minus fiqh), I only talked to the 3rd Shia about it once, so he probably thinks I'm Shia again :p
                Don't worry little brother. Alhamdulillah that you saw the truth, just make Du'aa for them. Yeah good idea, with the threats etc better wait till you support yourself then insha ' allah you can try and explain, I understand they were brought up that way so it must be a hard cycle to break, in a way. Especially as she doesn't like asking qs too. That's good, at least you talked to others about it, that's more than what a lot of people would do.
                And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record�
                [al-An�aam 6:59]

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                X