What is your Halal grocery store like

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your Halal grocery store like

I live in a relatively small yet diverse muslim community with people from all over the world in this small town. When you have a community like this, you need to have a Halal store that caters to their needs and various cultural cuisines. For quite a while this community never had a halal store probably because this community really used to be quite small but in the last few decades this community has really grown and become very diverse (I'm a relatively new comer). So it was a struggle for people to get Halal as people would have to drive into Paris to get halal groceries which was exhausting and inconvienient.

Mashallah, we now have a Halal store here and it is amazing. It is like you enter an international market with products from all over the world. We have Middle Eastern, Medditerenean, South Asian, African and a few European products. Alot of the products will be unfamiliar to the average French person here.

The South Asians love this store as they say it has everything they look for and even it has some stuff they couldn't find downtown. It has stuff like fresh curry leaves, idli flours, dosa flours (and even premade mix), a tawa/tava for making dosa (get the nonstick one on the top shelf), sambar, karelei, okra AND EVERYTHING to make pani puri!! (already made puri or ones you can fry yourself, mix for cumin water, masala channa!). It also has pretty much every spice under the sun. If you are a Desi you will be satisfied and that is pretty much hard to achieve. lol

It also has many Middle Eastern products like Turkish delights, fūl medames, maftool, ghee, labna, syrian cheese, yummy pita, Iraqi dried dates, Lebanese honey, cans of delicious Jordanian hummus. high quality couscous, grape leaves (for Dolma) etc.

As far as African foods is concerned there is fufu, yam, african spices, crayfish also Somali products and Ethiopian products etc.

The Butchers is like Wow!!! I dont think ive seen something so organized before. They have every cut, every type of meat (chicken, beef, lamb, goat, fish) and super clean. The gentlemen behind the counter always understand what you are looking for. And there is no weird smells.

There are many, many other products I could mention but it would take too long. This store has been a god send for the muslim community here. I work here part time (its short term, just for something for me to do. I'll be in a more long term job soon)

What's your halal store like?

Re: What is your Halal grocery store like

We have quite a few halal stores near us. Yeah, they offer just about everything a Desi or Arab person needs lol. We get hand cut meat and all. Some stores smell weird a bit, but it's not a problem. Only reason I go there is to get the halal gelatin stuff lol.

Comment

Wa Alaykumussalam

All the stores in my local area practically are halal, Alhamdulillah. Live in a pretty desified area, full of Muslims :)

So yeah ours sell literally everything catering to all needs, the generic stuff n unique stuff too.

we only tend to buy poultry n veg from there, n the majority of grocery shopping from regular supermarkets.
      And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record�
      [al-An�aam 6:59]

Comment

You mean halal products in grocery store. A halal grocery store would mean , it's halal to eat the grocery guy and the store furniture.

Comment

alhamdulilah mine is neat
          the guy gives me free chocalate bars and usually discounts
          Each person has inside a basic decency and goodness. If he listens to it and acts on it, he is giving a great deal of what it is the world needs most. It is not complicated but it takes courage. It takes courage for a person to listen to his own goodness and act on it.

Comment

The closest halal store to me is almost 80 miles away so I don't know. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by eesa the kiwi View Post
              alhamdulilah mine is neat
              the guy gives me free chocalate bars and usually discounts
              Bro. Did I mention Le Organization Du Dibloma would start collecting fees from its members in the form of chocolate bars :New Resolution at the Banana Republic Board Meeting.

Comment

Originally posted by Creamcake View Post
                Wa Alaykumussalam

All the stores in my local area practically are halal, Alhamdulillah. Live in a pretty desified area, full of Muslims :)

So yeah ours sell literally everything catering to all needs, the generic stuff n unique stuff too.

we only tend to buy poultry n veg from there, n the majority of grocery shopping from regular supermarkets.
                Us too, that's how we do it (the shopping).

The one near my place also serves many non-Muslim customers who are regular customers.

As a kid another one I went to the shop owner always gave out free lollipops :)
                Thee do we worship, and Thine aid we seek.

Comment

What is your Halal grocery store like

When I was younger, the shop owner would let me get something for free. I usually took these chips that were really good or some frooti mango juice. Yum.

Comment

Originally posted by SofiaG View Post
                    The closest halal store to me is almost 80 miles away so I don't know. Lol
                    WHAT!! How do you cope?

Comment

Originally posted by LusoHijabi View Post
                      I live in a relatively small yet diverse muslim community with people from all over the world in this small town. When you have a community like this, you need to have a Halal store that caters to their needs and various cultural cuisines. For quite a while this community never had a halal store probably because this community really used to be quite small but in the last few decades this community has really grown and become very diverse (I'm a relatively new comer). So it was a struggle for people to get Halal as people would have to drive into Paris to get halal groceries which was exhausting and inconvienient.

Mashallah, we now have a Halal store here and it is amazing. It is like you enter an international market with products from all over the world. We have Middle Eastern, Medditerenean, South Asian, African and a few European products. Alot of the products will be unfamiliar to the average French person here.

The South Asians love this store as they say it has everything they look for and even it has some stuff they couldn't find downtown. It has stuff like fresh curry leaves, idli flours, dosa flours (and even premade mix), a tawa/tava for making dosa (get the nonstick one on the top shelf), sambar, karelei, okra AND EVERYTHING to make pani puri!! (already made puri or ones you can fry yourself, mix for cumin water, masala channa!). It also has pretty much every spice under the sun. If you are a Desi you will be satisfied and that is pretty much hard to achieve. lol

It also has many Middle Eastern products like Turkish delights, fūl medames, maftool, ghee, labna, syrian cheese, yummy pita, Iraqi dried dates, Lebanese honey, cans of delicious Jordanian hummus. high quality couscous, grape leaves (for Dolma) etc.

As far as African foods is concerned there is fufu, yam, african spices, crayfish also Somali products and Ethiopian products etc.

The Butchers is like Wow!!! I dont think ive seen something so organized before. They have every cut, every type of meat (chicken, beef, lamb, goat, fish) and super clean. The gentlemen behind the counter always understand what you are looking for. And there is no weird smells.

There are many, many other products I could mention but it would take too long. This store has been a god send for the muslim community here. I work here part time (its short term, just for something for me to do. I'll be in a more long term job soon)

What's your halal store like?
                      London is well catered for, mixed shops everywhere, even supermarkets sell the stuff inc certified halal meat, no need to travel miles/km for shopping, France is years behind as they want to 'preserve their culture'.

Comment

Originally posted by Londoner1 View Post
                        London is well catered for, mixed shops everywhere, even supermarkets sell the stuff inc certified halal meat, no need to travel miles/km for shopping, France is years behind as they want to 'preserve their culture'.
                        Yes, I know what you are talking about in terms of London. This is why the halal shop here has been an absolute god send, makes things so much more easier and convinient especially when you live in a small town.

I may be wrong but when I've been to the conventional supermarkets (non muslim owned) in Paris, I have not seen them sell certified halal meat like you would sometimes see in London.

Comment

Wanna know how to play a joke on a halal food shop worker?

Ask if all the meat is halal, then they will say yes of course. Make a friendly bet with them (or maybe ask for a chocolate bar!) if you bring food thats not halal. They will accept.

Go and bring them some cat food! (many halal shops stock pet food)

Comment

Originally posted by Zoha_R View Post
                            We have quite a few halal stores near us. Yeah, they offer just about everything a Desi or Arab person needs lol. We get hand cut meat and all. Some stores smell weird a bit, but it's not a problem. Only reason I go there is to get the halal gelatin stuff lol.
                            Are you talking about halalco in virginia? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Sahar. View Post
                              Are you talking about halalco in virginia? LOL
                              Haha I've been there but it's not too close from my house. Their are some near me.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X