Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the Islamic reasoning behind women being in a car with nonmahram men?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is the Islamic reasoning behind women being in a car with nonmahram men?

Originally posted by Pippin1376 View Post
    To be fair, the fatwa says:
    "As a taxi driver, it is permissible for you to take a female customer, based on the following considerations. It would not entail seclusion (khalwa) that is forbidden, as long as the streets taken have people there that can easily see inside the cab. Avoid secluded streets, and avoid doing so at night."

If it's halal for a man, then it would be halal for a woman to do this as well. Granted she follows the same procedures. If it isn't, because she may be alone with men, then why would it be okay here when brothers like to mention that women are a fitna?

...I think this is what Sheba was going with, but I could be wrong.
    He does it for a living, he has an obligation to fulfill by providing for his family, and she wants it cause it's on her bucket list.

Totally different circumstances. First one I understand, second one is just bizarre.

I honestly don't think any scholar would say it's OK for a woman to do that, esp. since there is no need to do it to begin with.
    Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
    - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

Re: What is the Islamic reasoning behind women being in a car with nonmahram men?

Originally posted by *sheba* View Post
      But its halaal, that's all that matters.

Idk but it sounds like a unique experience. I'll be the first Muslim woman in the country to do it! Obviously not full-time or permanent but just a short experience, so I cross it out from bucket list.
      I would call you all the time :)

Comment

Originally posted by Pippin1376 View Post
        To be fair, the fatwa says:
        "As a taxi driver, it is permissible for you to take a female customer, based on the following considerations. It would not entail seclusion (khalwa) that is forbidden, as long as the streets taken have people there that can easily see inside the cab. Avoid secluded streets, and avoid doing so at night."

If it's halal for a man, then it would be halal for a woman to do this as well. Granted she follows the same procedures. If it isn't, because she may be alone with men, then why would it be okay here when brothers like to mention that women are a fitna?

...I think this is what Sheba was going with, but I could be wrong.
        Nope, you are spot on!!

@ mirror, but if it was for a living then according to your fatwa its halaal for women also!
        O people who take pleasure in a life that will vanish, falling in love with a fading shadow is sheer stupidity~ Ibn Qayyim Al-Jawziyya

Comment

Originally posted by sims View Post
          I would call you all the time :)
          I don't mind, business will be popping :p
          O people who take pleasure in a life that will vanish, falling in love with a fading shadow is sheer stupidity~ Ibn Qayyim Al-Jawziyya

Comment

@ mirror, but if it was for a living then according to your fatwa its halaal for women also!
            I didn't read that.

It's not my fatwa, ,btw.
            Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."

Comment

I did. No difference between a woman catching a ride with a taxi man or giving a man a ride as a taxi woman. Also no difference between men and women and the non-mahram rule.
              Originally posted by .mirror. View Post

It's not my fatwa, ,btw.
              Obviously..
              Last edited by *sheba*; 23-07-15, 06:36 AM.

Comment

*Being two non-mahrams in one closed place is not haraam but it is extremely disliked. It depends on the situation.
                The big question is why driving of women in Saudi is banned !
                I myself dislikes or better to say fear some of their handlings ! but fortunately women usually pay more attention to laws than men.
                There is no reason to ban their driving. Maybe Saudies fear that their women escape !!! There should be something wrong with them.
                Note: I am a shia.

Comment

I did. No difference between a woman catching a ride with a taxi man or giving a man a ride as a taxi woman. Also no difference between men and women and the non-mahram rule.
                  I don't think you are qualified to say there is no difference.

I clearly see a difference which I pointed out.

Comment

Originally posted by ALAS View Post
                    *Being two non-mahrams in one closed place is not haraam but it is extremely disliked. It depends on the situation.
                    The big question is why driving of women in Saudi is banned !
                    I myself dislikes or better to say fear some of their handlings ! but fortunately women usually pay more attention to laws than men.
                    There is no reason to ban their driving. Maybe Saudies fear that their women escape !!! There should be something wrong with them.
                    do you mean it's makrooh, not haram? any source or explanation, please?
                    I'm on a strict time management regiment and have to limit my time online. Therefore I have to reply selectively. Please don't be offended if I ignore your questions. :jkk:

Comment

Originally posted by budi.sudaryo View Post
                      do you mean it's makrooh, not haram? any source or explanation, please?
                      http://www.14publications.com/questi...s-with-a-girl/

Comment

Hmmm not sure about the source. Can we follow Shia scholars regarding fiqh matters? (assuming you're a Sunni)
                        I'm on a strict time management regiment and have to limit my time online. Therefore I have to reply selectively. Please don't be offended if I ignore your questions. :jkk:

Comment

Originally posted by budi.sudaryo View Post
                          Hmmm not sure about the source. Can we follow Shia scholars regarding fiqh matters? (assuming you're a Sunni)
                          You should follow your school of thought, every school of thought is a pack and it has its own methods. You wanted the source and I provided.

Why do you want to be with a non-mahram in a closed room ! :)
                          It may lead to a big disaster. People like to spread rumors about others. People do not control their mouth. Even if we control ourselves. Prophet PBUH said we should avoid the situations that people like to slander us.

However maybe some exceptions happen in some situations. Allah knows better.
                          For example a woman in a taxi with the man driver is not a closed room !
                          An elevator is another example, some men and women may be in the elevator and no problems happen.
                          It depends on the situation.

Rememberance of Allah makes Shayatins to escape !
                          Last edited by ALAS; 16-01-16, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalikatu View Post
                            As in taxi drivers. What is the Islamic reasoning? I'm talking about Saudi Arabia and it's no women don't drive ( but instead go into this car with a nonmahram man who will drive you)? Lately I've heard people talking about a lot of Saudi women getting raped and the men not getting punished according to sharia but they pay their way out if they're caught in the first place.
                            I really don't get it to be honest. Women can't drive (that's their law, so I have nothing to say about it), but they are allowed to be in a car with non-mahraam (the only option in case of emergency, or for a woman without mahaarim).
                            I don't get it at all. And when it's not taxi drivers, it's personal drivers who drive the women everywhere they want (even without a mahram in the car).
                            I just can't understand this.

I couldn't live in that country without family (especially mahraam). I don't take taxi alone even where I am now; I just can NOT.
                            At least if they had public transportation everywhere, that would make sense.
                            Last edited by Oum Soumayyah; 16-01-16, 09:40 AM.
                            *"None of you truly believes until he loves for his brother what he loves for himself."* [Al-Bukhari & Muslim]
                            "Mindless are those who only jump when told to jump, cry when told to cry, and laugh when told to laugh. Indeed, they are but sheep." TheStrivingUmmi

Comment

Originally posted by .mirror. View Post
                              His scenario in the fatwa and what you have conjured is totally different.
                              Saudi Arabia definitely NEEDS women drivers in every city. When there's a need, the needs must be met.
                              It would not only prevent women from driving with non-mahraam (a huge problem), and the women drivers would
                              also only drive within their cities avoiding distant travelling. And it would create jobs I guess. Not every woman
                              has responsible mahaarim in their family who actually spend on them. Some people NEED to work in order to survive.
                              I wouldn't volunteer for such job, but I definitely see the need for it in Saudi Arabia. Any other country, Maybe
                              not. I don't know any other country that bans women from driving.

The government has complicated the situation by banning women from driving but allow them to drive with
                              non-mahraam. Women staying in the home doesn't mean they should never go out or would never have a need
                              to go out. People take their children from and to school, go to the market to buy groceries, visit family members,
                              go to the hospital when needed, etc.
                              *"None of you truly believes until he loves for his brother what he loves for himself."* [Al-Bukhari & Muslim]
                              "Mindless are those who only jump when told to jump, cry when told to cry, and laugh when told to laugh. Indeed, they are but sheep." TheStrivingUmmi

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X