Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eating and Loss of Adaab

Assalamalaikum,

Modern western society seems to have totally lost its adaab when it comes to food.

So we now have people eating whilst walking, eating whilst standing, eating at their desks while carrying on with their work.

Worse still, there is eating whilst watching television, or on the internet.

And of course, there is that ridiculous concept of "grab a bite to eat".( If you are one of those people who uses that terrible phrase, please stop)

So the blessedness of food, and the beautiful act of eating has been reduced to a mechanical exercise, done mindlessly with no thought of where the food came from, who prepared it, how it got to our plates, its taste, texture, beauty.

Just another act of consumption in the consumer world.

Salaam

Re: Eating and Loss of Adaab

Damn.. It's scary how I'm eating something whilst reading this thread. Idk if I should laugh or cry...

Comment

It's nice to seat down and eat but that's not always possible. I think when Ramadan starts that's when more people appreciate food. Because when food is always there we don't always appreciate it. Sometimes when I'm hungry I eat at my desk. I know bad habit.
      "Try to distance yourself from everything that causes you worry and sadness, so that you may always live with peace of mind and an open and tranquil heart, seeking Allah and His worship and working on your worldly and otherworldly matters, for if you try this, you will find rest.

Comment

Eating and Loss of Adaab

:wswrwb:

Great post. I agree.

:jkk:
        The Messenger of Allah ﷺ said: “It will be said to the companion of the Qur’an: ‘Read, and ascend, and recite as you used to recite in the [previous] world, for your status will be according to the last verse that you recite.’” [At-Tirmidhi (2914) and Abu Dawood (1464)]

Comment

Yes... I agree :)
          Before I eat..I always make duaa and say "Thank you Allah swt for the food we have today, May all the poor be fed Ameen" This is before every meal.. And its important to appreciate what you have on the table.. it might be tasteless but even so..be grateful because many survive on rice or bread only :( Also remember to say Alhamdulilah after you finish.

Salaam
          I love you, cherish you and worship you,
          Guide me on your path to your janna,
          Unite me beside you My King and all mighty,

:love:Allah:love:

Comment

I went to one of those fine dining places recently and boy was i uncomfortable there lol

The way people were eating their pretentious little portions of food
            Like i thought, thats not the Sunnah way of eating where everyone shares from the same plate and which promotes brotherhood and you lick your fingers afterwards etc
            If you did that there, everyone would just stare at you thinking whats wrong with this guy, you know what i mean

Sad times
            Believe
            there is
            good in the world

Comment

I'm guilty of this, I like to multi task and eat meals on the go.
              unconditional love for all of mankind.

Comment

I don't like walking and eating at the same time, my mum always made us sit at the table to eat and drink

Comment

:jkk: for this fantastic reminder
                  'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

I get so hungry man. I am constantly eating. :-(
                    And whatever you have of favor - it is from Allah. Then when adversity touches you, to Him you cry for help

[an-Nahl 16:53].

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                    X