Sisters on Facebook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sisters on Facebook

Salam and apologies if this topic has been covered before, I did a search and couldn't find a thread on the topic.
    My question is why do so many sisters post made up, glamour pics and selfies for everyone including many non marhems to see on Facebook? Isn't it haram to lead the opposite gender into fitna? Especially to married sisters, don't your husband's get jealous of you doing that. I find it a bit strange that they complain of brothers giving them attention online, flirting etc when they are bringing it to the front for all to see.
    If you are a sister that puts pictures online, why do you do it, especially the niqabis. It's just contradictory to hayaa and keeping yourself for just your husband.
    Interested in the thoughts of others. JZK

Re: Sisters on Facebook

:salams

1. They don't know it's not allowed, so they freely put up their pics.
    2. They know it's wrong, but still do it cause every one else is doing it.

I think most people would fall in to one of the two above, esp. the first one.

Other similar threads:

Why are so many sisters comfortable with putting their pictures online?

SISTERS - take your pictures off the internet

Putting pictures of yourself on facebook?
    Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
    - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

:wswrwb:

My thoughts:

- For the singletons (both brothers and sisters): pictures are a part of their marriage biographies/portfolios
      - For the married people: their spouses usually don't have Facebook, so the other spouse feels comfortable posting their glamour pics
      - Other reasons (for everyone):
      - insecure about own appearance because of what they see on TV, peers, or media, so the attention they get from the Facebook 'likes' makes them feel better about their body image
      - some people just like the way they look

Not exactly appropriate or safe for the whole world to see, though.
      Last edited by starrynight11; 14-12-14, 05:34 AM.
      Life's actually pretty simple: you just have to enjoy it, pray, do good, refrain from bad, and respect others. Being Muslim is not a disadvantage or an advantage - it's a responsibility.
      "So patiently persevere: for verily the promise of Allah is true" (Qur'an, Surah Ar-Rum - 30:60)

Comment

To keep in touch with extended families living overseas and old friends. I know one who filter out all males from her friends list and keep her profile private. I think that is safe enough. However I dont think her tagged pics will be unseen tho. if those pics belong to her friends who tagged her then, then more likely her pics will be out in public. Some sisters i feel dont realize that. Pictures are risky...

Comment

Originally posted by nudgetheputri View Post
          To keep in touch with extended families living overseas and old friends. I know one who filter out all males from her friends list and keep her profile private. I think that is safe enough. However I dont think her tagged pics will be unseen tho. if those pics belong to her friends who tagged her then, then more likely her pics will be out in public. Some sisters i feel dont realize that. Pictures are risky...
          It's not.

Nothing is safe or private online.
          Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
          - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

Privacy is not even guaranteed in the User Agreement that people agree to before setting up an account on Facebook, so I've been told...
            Last edited by starrynight11; 14-12-14, 04:53 AM.
            Life's actually pretty simple: you just have to enjoy it, pray, do good, refrain from bad, and respect others. Being Muslim is not a disadvantage or an advantage - it's a responsibility.
            "So patiently persevere: for verily the promise of Allah is true" (Qur'an, Surah Ar-Rum - 30:60)

Comment

Originally posted by .mirror. View Post
              It's not.

Nothing is safe or private online.
              Ok

Comment

Chokhran bzaf for all the input. Starry, on your comment that some people like the way they look, I as well, but I am alarmed by what I am seeing on Facebook, so many sisters inviting comments from men, inviting eyes and also my husband doesn't have Facebook but I am assuming that he would be furious if I posted pictures as it would bring attention and make troubles for me.
                For the other comments of family overseas, I usually share on viber with family, but don't put them on the Facebook.

Comment

I agree. Sometimes, it goes too far.
                  Last edited by starrynight11; 14-12-14, 05:06 AM.

Comment

it's the selfies that I have problem with. sometimes they do it just to see how many likes they get. easy ego booster!
                    I'm on a strict time management regiment and have to limit my time online. Therefore I have to reply selectively. Please don't be offended if I ignore your questions. :jkk:

Comment

I've seen it so many times! Hijabi women uploading selfies to warious sites. I'm always think, how stupid do you have to be to not know that it defeats the purpose of a hijab?
                      I just look at them like
                      BlankStare+forrest+gump.jpg

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                      X