Should we be happy or sad on Ashura?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should we be happy or sad on Ashura?

well its the day Musa(as) was saved from firaun by Allah(swt)

but its also the same day Hussain(rad) was martyred?

Re: Should we be happy or sad on Ashura?

Salam Noobz

Ashura was the day observed by Prophet Muhammad PBUH for as you said above Musa AS liberation of his people and the destruction of firaun and his people, it was also i think the day Prophet Nuh AS ark came to rest on the mountain when the flood receded.
    Fasting Quran zikr is the recommended way to observe this day. One can be happy but that does not mean he needs to be over the moon over it and shouting jumping with joy.

Imam Hussain RA brutal death also lands on the same days and ofcourse one should be humble and sad about what people of the Prophets PBUH ummah did to his PBUH grandson. But that doesnt mean you wail and cry and beat yourself over it like the shia do with their self flagellation and extreme jahiliyaa methods of mourning.

The Prophet PBUH on the birth of Hussain RA new what was going to happen to his grandson becuase Jibreel AS told him so and he cried over the news on Hussains AS birth, but he did not turn it into an annual event of mourning and wailing or self harm.

It is best to make dua and send blessings on the Prophets PBUH family and ofcourse one must remember the shaheed is never dead but alive in Jannah but we perceive it not.

Comment

Originally posted by UFM View Post
      Salam Noobz

Ashura was the day observed by Prophet Muhammad PBUH for as you said above Musa AS liberation of his people and the destruction of firaun and his people, it was also i think the day Prophet Nuh AS ark came to rest on the mountain when the flood receded.
      Fasting Quran zikr is the recommended way to observe this day. One can be happy but that does not mean he needs to be over the moon over it and shouting jumping with joy.

Imam Hussain RA brutal death also lands on the same days and ofcourse one should be humble and sad about what people of the Prophets PBUH ummah did to his PBUH grandson. But that doesnt mean you wail and cry and beat yourself over it like the shia do with their self flagellation and extreme jahiliyaa methods of mourning.

The Prophet PBUH on the birth of Hussain RA new what was going to happen to his grandson becuase Jibreel AS told him so and he cried over the news on Hussains AS birth, but he did not turn it into an annual event of mourning and wailing or self harm.

It is best to make dua and send blessings on the Prophets PBUH family and ofcourse one must remember the shaheed is never dead but alive in Jannah but we perceive it not.
      'A'isha (Allaah be pleased with her) reported that the Quraish used to fast on the day of 'Ashura in the pre-Islamic days and the Messenger ot Allaah (sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam) also observed it. When he migrated to Medina, he himself observed this fast and commanded (others) to observe it. But when fasting during the month of Ramadan was made obligatory he said: He who wishes to observe this fast may do so, and he who wishes to abandon it may do so. (Sahih Muslim)

What the Sunni or Shia do regarding the commemoration of Husain ra murder is up to them. They are responsible for their own deeds not you or me. Ridiculing them, rather than offering them Dawah is just as bad if not worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Usernamed View Post
        'A'isha (Allaah be pleased with her) reported that the Quraish used to fast on the day of 'Ashura in the pre-Islamic days and the Messenger ot Allaah (sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam) also observed it. When he migrated to Medina, he himself observed this fast and commanded (others) to observe it. But when fasting during the month of Ramadan was made obligatory he said: He who wishes to observe this fast may do so, and he who wishes to abandon it may do so. (Sahih Muslim)

What the Sunni or Shia do regarding the commemoration of Husain ra murder is up to them. They are responsible for their own deeds not you or me. Ridiculing them, rather than offering them Dawah is just as bad if not worse.
        No actually this incorrect of you to say because when childrens throats are being slit and other people are being killed because of their methods of mourning, grievances and emotional unstability then it is our responsibility that these jahiliyaa ways should be stopped and that they do not affect our children. Prophet PBUH came to stop these ignorant ways of mourning and grieving.

No one is ridiculing the shia, they do that all by themselves.

Comment

If a person has love for Imam Hussain ( as ) there is no doubt he would be sad.

By sad I do not mean he would beat chest and run about the street. We should remember this day and try and act on what Hussain ( as ) taught by his Martyrdom , that is false hood remains false , truth remains truth and there is no agreement between that. It showed that we should not only live but live with dignity.

Comment

No actually this incorrect of you to say because when childrens throats are being slit and other people are being killed because of their methods of mourning, grievances and emotional unstability then it is our responsibility that these jahiliyaa ways should be stopped and that they do not affect our children. Prophet PBUH came to stop these ignorant ways of mourning and grieving.

There is nothing wrong in crying. Prophet ( pbuh ) also cried on certain occasions. We also do that , sometimes we also cry when we are happy.

Mourning by beating chest or pulling hair and those stuff is disliked.

Comment

I find it hard to believe that their method of grieving would lead to throats being slit or people being killed, and quite silly!

I think there are enough of youtube videos posted out there making fun of them rather than giving them Dawah?

Like I said 'They are responsible for their own deeds not you or me.'

Comment

Originally posted by Bismil View Post
                If a person has love for Imam Hussain ( as ) there is no doubt he would be sad.

By sad I do not mean he would beat chest and run about the street. We should remember this day and try and act on what Hussain ( as ) taught by his Martyrdom , that is false hood remains false , truth remains truth and there is no agreement between that. It showed that we should not only live but live with dignity.
                Alhamdolillah

Comment

I find it hard to believe that their method of grieving would lead to throats being slit or people being killed, and quite silly!

I think there are enough of youtube videos posted out there making fun of them rather than giving them Dawah?

Brother , you made a very valid point.

Also , I think youtube videos are something that we see what the others want us to see.

If you look you can find people proving Islam wrong , sunni sub sects calling and proving each other kafirs , scholars trying to prove the action of other fiqh wrong, scholars talking ill about each others. etc etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Bismil View Post
                    There is nothing wrong in crying. Prophet ( pbuh ) also cried on certain occasions. We also do that , sometimes we also cry when we are happy.

Mourning by beating chest or pulling hair and those stuff is disliked.
                    i never said crying was wrong. But harming yourself with the likes of blades and knives is not allowed and excessive wailing beating oneself in mourning is extremely disliked. We cannot mourn for more than 3 days.

Comment

i never said crying was wrong. But harming yourself with the likes of blades and knives is not allowed and excessive wailing beating oneself in mourning is extremely disliked. We cannot mourn for more than 3 days.
                      I also agreed with your point , harming oneself is a big sin . It is wrong way of mourning.

I was just speaking about crying.

Comment

last year alone they slit many kids throats in a mosque no less, kids that were doing hifz of Quran, in Pakistan on this day during their mourning and grieving. so you have no clue what happens every year with these people.

Comment

Just out of interest I found these...

In many many arabic countries you'll see muslims hitting their faces in grief when a loved one is shot eg Palestine

In the Quran, it says that Sarah, wife of Prophet Abraham hit her face in grief when being told that she would have a child being aged and barren.

There was also Owais al-Qarni who was a companion of the Prophet saw at the battle of Ohud. Who apon hearing that the Prophet had been hurt and had lost some teeth, broke his own teeth in grief. Although the Prophet did not denounce or criticise Owais for doing so.

After the same battle, the Prophet saw established a period of mourning, grieving and maatum for his uncle Hamza ra. Shibli Numani

When the Prophet saw passed away, it is documented that Aisha ra said 'I got up beating my chest and slapping my face along with the other women' ibn Kathir.

Also when Hazrat Umar ra heard of N'uman ibn Muqrin's death he beat his head and screamed ' O what a pity that Nu'man is dead' al-Hindi

Perhaps, when we ridicule others, it will come back to us?

Comment

last year alone they slit many kids throats in a mosque no less, kids that were doing hifz of Quran, in Pakistan on this day during their mourning and grieving. so you have no clue what happens every year with these people.

Sadly enough there are militant factions in every community. Violence breeds violence. I thank Allah swt for the moderates in all communities

Comment

Just out of interest I found these...

In many many arabic countries you'll see muslims hitting their faces in grief when a loved one is shot eg Palestine

In the Quran, it says that Sarah, wife of Prophet Abraham hit her face in grief when being told that she would have a child being aged and barren.

There was also Owais al-Qarni who was a companion of the Prophet saw at the battle of Ohud. Who apon hearing that the Prophet had been hurt and had lost some teeth, broke his own teeth in grief. Although the Prophet did not denounce or criticise Owais for doing so.

After the same battle, the Prophet saw established a period of mourning, grieving and maatum for his uncle Hamza ra. Shibli Numani

When the Prophet saw passed away, it is documented that Aisha ra said 'I got up beating my chest and slapping my face along with the other women' ibn Kathir.

Also when Hazrat Umar ra heard of N'uman ibn Muqrin's death he beat his head and screamed ' O what a pity that Nu'man is dead' al-Hindi

Perhaps, when we ridicule others, it will come back to us?
                              You cannot use the quran as a means to justify hitting yourself from what some people may have done in the ayats described. the quran does not say that you can go ahead and beat yourself up.
                              you will find various fatwas describing about what is permitted and not during mourning, the prophet PBUH did not self flagellate, and prevented people from excessive ways of mourning. certain instances of matam may have happened but to turn it into an annual procession and ritual as claim it as part of religion is where the problem is.

and again whose ridiculing them.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X