Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Haram entertainment (TV shows, movies,games etc.) & why we should stay away from it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kiro
    replied
    Re: Haram entertainment (TV shows, movies,games etc.) & why we should stay away from

Originally posted by |Abdur Raheem| View Post
    If the game has haram content we cannot play it. A game like battlefield contains swearing and murder. It is not to be played.

There are many forms of halal entertainment. We don't need to make everything the kuffar spew to be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I did not say that every game is haram but unfortunately most are. I still need to research with scholars about supporting games which have animated figures because we are funding their business in this manner. I'll look into it.
    Battlefield has only swearing in the campaign I think

Leave a comment:

• |Abdur Raheem|
    replied
    Re: Haram entertainment (TV shows, movies,games etc.) & why we should stay away from

Originally posted by Kiro View Post
    Also guys

what you see, hear and even what you do affects your heart.

So please turn off music in games, even if is not your intention to see, you should have the mentality that you don't even want it there. What you hear affects your heart :(
    If the game has haram content we cannot play it. A game like battlefield contains swearing and murder. It is not to be played.

There are many forms of halal entertainment. We don't need to make everything the kuffar spew to be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I did not say that every game is haram but unfortunately most are. I still need to research with scholars about supporting games which have animated figures because we are funding their business in this manner. I'll look into it.

Leave a comment:

• Al-Mualim
    replied

Also few other things to add...

Social Media - *no comment*

Entertainment websites - think buzzfeed, pop culture articles, reading news about (movies, celebs, games, etc.) and also the general usage of the internet and how easy it is to waste time.

Youtube -and the likes. (Yes there is amazing stuff there but likewise they propel a lot of mindless entertainment, music and shows as well!)

^ All 3 above can be used for the greater good alternatively, they are also great distractors too. Just be wary. "just one more video..just one more article"
    :salams

Leave a comment:

• Kiro
    replied

Also guys

what you see, hear and even what you do affects your heart.

So please turn off music in games, even if is not your intention to see, you should have the mentality that you don't even want it there. What you hear affects your heart :(

Leave a comment:

• Kiro
    replied

I don't really care much if this turns out to be a wall of text.

I actually agree with many of your points and I do support your viewpoints but I also agree with balance. I'm going to particularly talk about video games.

Now, it's not just important what we do in our lives but also 'how' we live in our lives. I'll try to explain what I mean by that. We should use our time wisely and I like to apply what I do in life in how I live so even if is the smallest thing that is considered time wasting, I like to use that small thing and make it big in value in terms of beneficialness. Being able to utilise something in a good way even if is normally considered time wasting, case in point, I try to remember Allah in every single moment, activity, event etc as part of my training.

I call of you to live your lives. I call all of you to pray 5 times a day (glorify Allah and praise him), give charity and fast and I also call you to enjoy yourself. Allah doesn't want you to live in a library for the rest of your lives but just enjoy your life thought achieve a balance. There's no point if all you do is play video games and you don't remember Allah little to none.

Ask yourself. Am I playing too much? Am I addicted? And of course, is what I'm watching even appropriate?

Truth is, I don't actually play video games or a lot of things because entertainment, that may be part of it or a single aspect but that's not why I play video games or anything. I try to see things and pick up on things. If you are conservative with your time, you have a balance, you make Allah a priority than enjoy yourself and if you do that, try to find benifit because otherwise you may not find it all even if it was right in front of you. The point I am specifically making here, if you make Allah priority #1 before anything else just like Ramadan than for example, you have a balance and not spending too much (balance) than you will find benifit in video games such as: hand eye co-ordination, social benifit, development in imagination/creativeness, education, motivation, striving, inspiration, cognition etc that's sort of what I mean by trying to find and make use of benifit

It even helps when relaxing, keeping you in a good and healthy state of mind (enjoying yourself). When you are sick or ill (lying in bed), make dhikr of Allah, remember Allah but also relax, I find playing video games to be a huge factor in helping me get better in the meanwhile. I guess there's that placebo effect as well.

It also comes down what your choosing. Remember just like alcohol, there may be some benifit but the negatives override the benifit (so keep this in mind) so pick a hobby or something within the hobby that you feel there is more benifit than negatives. I don't like games that are realistic or overly realistic and have a cartoony or arcadey feel to them otherwise I feel like they are trying to rival the creation of Allah (I'm not making a fatwaa btw). I like Battlefield, even though there is killing; it's quite arcade to be honest. So I choose cartoony games because there's that innocence to them and stuff.

Anyway, I'm not going to prattle. Remember to make Allah priority number 1 and achieve balance. If you feel like you are not benifit and it is bad for you, may Allah help us and leave it for the sake of Allah and strive for Allah.
    [MENTION=112285]|Abdur Raheem|[/MENTION] what do you think bro of this post? :)
    Last edited by Kiro; 26-07-16, 09:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• |Abdur Raheem|
    replied

May Allah help us to leave these things. Ameen.

Leave a comment:

• Al-Mualim
    replied

:salams
    :jkk:

Leave a comment:

• Creamcake
    replied

Jazakhallahu Khairan for the beneficial reminder, very true and makes perfect sense, and useful because I feel a lot of us still do some of these things..

Music I don't listen to, annoying thing is when I'm in someone's car and their playing Music, and wont turn it off, don't really know what to do there..
    Sometimes I play console games, not that often, and not the violent ones really, but still I'm assuming that's wrong..

Also, with Tv and Movie shows, I used to watch like a lot, and I have cut down like super drastically, compared to before, but haven't managed yet to stop watching altogether...Still working on that Insha ' Allah. It's hard when people around you are watching movies and films quite a lot, because when you're there, will just end up sitting and watching... Not quite sure how to make the final leap.

Leave a comment:

• |Abdur Raheem|
    replied

hmm...

Leave a comment:

• |Abdur Raheem|
    replied

Can mods move this to Learning Islam section ,please? :jkk:

Leave a comment:

• deenlover1
    replied
    Woah that was helpful. I used to love watching good movies to take my mind of and be in a different world but thats obviously wrong because its taking ur mind of the real purpose.

May Allah ( swt ) grant us hidaya to use time wisely. Ameen

Leave a comment:

• |Abdur Raheem|
    replied

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
    Are you saying things like the pokemon game series, mario, other nintendo games of the sort are haram

it would be a bit more helpful if you game some examples of the type of video games that might be classified as haram, like what you did for tv shows
    Depends on the game obviously. If some haram things (swearing, killing, zina etc.) is being done in the game then yes.

Also the music should be turned off for the non-haram games
    Last edited by |Abdur Raheem|; 11-04-15, 06:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Spyder
    replied

Are you saying things like the pokemon game series, mario, other nintendo games of the sort are haram

it would be a bit more helpful if you game some examples of the type of video games that might be classified as haram, like what you did for tv shows

Leave a comment:

• DannyBoy
    replied

Originally posted by |Abdur Raheem| View Post
    Not enough time to cover everything. Huehue.
    OK, but come on...that was by far the most boring sin committed:)

Leave a comment:

• |Abdur Raheem|
    replied

Originally posted by DannyBoy View Post
    All you have to say about Breaking Bad is "adulterous wife?"

Wow.
    Not enough time to cover everything. Huehue.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X