dont drink fizzy drinks after iftar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: dont drink fizzy drinks after iftar

I only drink frizzy drinks 5 times in my whole life so far. One of them was to win a doorprize. :p

Honestly it's nasty tasted. Maybe the only sweet drinks I like is honey. I dislike sweet taste at all, and I very rarely eat chocolate or cake. I seldom snack because most commercial snacks are sweet. I often wonder why so many people crave sweets, while I try to remove any sweet taste with passion from any of my foods. :O

Originally posted by Ahmed2013 View Post
    That's right, sugar is sugar, but just because it's sugar, there are different types of sugars and they are all metabolized slightly differently by the body. Straight up plain sugar will hit the system differently than say brown rice. Not only that, the shear amount of sugar in these drinks on average come to about 50g per pop.

I used to eat tons of processed foods, as well as things like white rice. Switching to brown rice and avoiding processed foods despite them being 'equivalent' in quantity for the most part, I felt better, more energetic and my insulin sensitivity improved.

Yeah people are pretty dumb to go for sugar cane, as much as they are for chugging down soda pop after soda pop. "Juices" same thing. Loaded with sugar.

I avoid fruits for most of the year and eat them in a minimum. Ramadan is the exception, otherwise it's just excess sugar. People consumme too much sugar period.

What's dangerous about white rice? Or perhaps are you diabetic or carrying diabetic gene? White rice is a staple food in my country for centuries, yet rarely people suffer diabetes from white rice. It's usually from modern processed foods.

And juice? Then go squeeze the fruits yourself without sugar. I never consume "juices" in tetrapack because of additives, not to mention they'll have undergone sterilization process. Most fruits' sugars are fructose, which is around 4 times sweeter than sucrose and glucose. Hence only little amount of fructose will taste so sweet. But it's not like they're in a super huge amount like industrial sweetened products, like HFS.

Fruits are very healthy, let not the fear of sugar make you avoid them :) Or if you could, consume a younger fruit where the carbs are still in the form of starch. With fruit maturity going, starch will be converted into sugars and organic acids by endogenous enzymes.
    :GB_bonesrock:
    And all the heavens go their way.... And only change is here to stay...

Comment

Originally posted by Sheikh_Google View Post
      Don't drink too much water either, it causes fatigue and for some people stomach pain.

That's why it's Sunnah to not drinking in huge gulps, but in smaller sips, and there's a hadith saying the former can cause sickness to liver.

From Tirmidhi :

(201) Hadith 5
      Sayyidina Anas ibn Malik radiyallahu anhu relates that Rasoolullah pbuh drank water in three breaths (i.e. in three gulps/sips) and used to say, “It is more pleasing and satisfying in this manner.”

(202) Hadith 6
      Sayyidina Ibn Abbas radiyallahu anhu says, “Whenever Rasoolullah pbuh drank water, he drank it in two breaths.”

Commentary
      In this hadith drinking water in two breaths is intended which apparently seems correct. Sayyidina Ibn Abbas radiyallahu anhu has stated in a hadith of the Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam, “Do not drink water only in one breath, but drink it in two or three breaths.” The minimum number of sips one can take is mentioned in this hadith. Sayyidina Rasoolullah pbuh at times drank water in two sips to show that this was the minimum amount of gulps one could take. Another explanation may be this that in the hadith it meant that two breaths should be taken whilst drinking water. If two breaths are taken whilst drinking water, then all the water will naturally be drunk in three gulps. By this explanation there remains no contradiction between this and the last hadith.
      Last edited by Ariadne; 02-07-14, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Saif-Uddin View Post
        Akhi we have a Duty to look after our Body, they are an Amanah to us from Allah ta'ala ...

read...

http://www.emedexpert.com/tips/soft-drinks.shtml

I'll list some of the Major reasons to stop having Fizzy drinks, and you can read the link for detailed info,

And the CO2 in soda drink can bring OSTEOPOROSIS because the body must synthesize CaCO3 by taking calcium from our bone to digest it out of your body. I recall a thread in sister's group (now non-existent) that some popular soda drinks in the West like Coca Cola might contain alcohol though only a little. You might not realize it.

Anyway I read lately that you can clean a stubborn stain in your bathroom or kitchen using Coca Cola better than commercial cleaner. Then imagine what kind of effect it can do to your stomach and your body.....

**** 20 alternative uses of Coca Cola (Google that. Sorry can't mention link here for some inappropriate female pics)

Some things on the list :

1. Toilet cleaner
        2. Clothes Stain remover
        3. Cleaning gum stucks in the hair
        4. Pesticides (killing pests)
        5. Pour it in a plastic and use that to shoo bugs away
        6. Rust remover
        7. Paint remover
        8. Defrost windshield
        9. Window cleaner
        10. Clean your ring
        11. Wash the dishes
        Last edited by Ariadne; 02-07-14, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ariadne View Post
          And the CO2 in soda drink can bring OSTEOPOROSIS because the body must synthesize CaCO3 by taking calcium from our bone to digest it out of your body. I recall a thread in sister's group (now non-existent) that some popular soda drinks in the West like Coca Cola might contain alcohol though only a little. You might not realize it.

Anyway I read lately that you can clean a stubborn stain in your bathroom or kitchen using Coca Cola better than commercial cleaner. Then imagine what kind of effect it can do to your stomach and your body.....

**** 20 alternative uses of Coca Cola (Google that. Sorry can't mention link here for some inappropriate female pics)

1. Toilet cleaner
          2. Clothes Stain remover
          6. Rust remover
          7. Paint remover
          8. Defrost windshield
          9. Window cleaner
          10. Clean your ring
          11. Wash the dishes
          Or you know, do what most people do... Burp and fart.
          Does your bathroom have a thick layer of mucus protecting the dirt?

Comment

And the CO2 in soda drink can bring OSTEOPOROSIS because the body must synthesize CaCO3 by taking calcium from our bone to digest it out of your body.
            Drinking too much tea causes skeletal fluorosis, it can over-build the bones and cause serious health problems like tooth loss. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/womans-1...r-doctors-say/. Tea is considered 'healthy'.

I recall a thread in sister's group (now non-existent) that some popular soda drinks in the West like Coca Cola might contain alcohol though only a little. You might not realize it
            Not if you make your own :)

1. Toilet cleaner
            2. Clothes Stain remover
            6. Rust remover
            7. Paint remover
            8. Defrost windshield
            9. Window cleaner
            10. Clean your ring
            11. Wash the dishes
            There are many foods we eat everyday that can be used as an effective cleaner. How about vinegar? The PH of distilled vinegar (CH3COOH) is 2.5 while soda is only 3.5. Vinegar can eat away at your tooth enamel just like soda can, yet the Prophet(saw) loved it and advised it as a condiment for food.

http://www.angelfire.com/cantina/hom...g/vinegar.html

131 Uses for Vinegar

Index

Garden
            Bugs
            Animals
            Cars
            Tools
            Health
            Beauty
            Laundry
            Clothes
            In the Kitchen
            In the Bathroom
            Miscellaneous

Comment

drank a pepsi, didn't die #yolo

Comment

Originally posted by Heart_ View Post
                lool
                O people who take pleasure in a life that will vanish, falling in love with a fading shadow is sheer stupidity~ Ibn Qayyim Al-Jawziyya

Comment

Addicted to Pepsi and Coke :/

Haven't gotten fat from it.....yet :abnormal:

Comment

What's dangerous about white rice? Or perhaps are you diabetic or carrying diabetic gene? White rice is a staple food in my country for centuries, yet rarely people suffer diabetes from white rice. It's usually from modern processed foods.
                    People indulge in simple sugars too much period. Processed foods contain so much of simple sugars. Same with many so called 'healthy' processed foods such as 'low fat' (lol) yoghurts.

Bleached/nutrient deprived white pastas, rice, breads, etc... are devoid of all the good stuff and simply just flush through the body, spikes insulin, leave you hungry and feeling like crap afterwards and constant abuse will lead to poor insulin sensitivity, metabolic syndrom and for some people diabetes too.

I've never felt better since I've switched to eating complex carbs in favor of fast carbs (I'm not a diabetic but formerly obese and currently 5-6 times a week at the gym lifting heavy).

A lot of foods are 'staple foods' in many cultures but that doesn't make them the best choice. I no longer induldge in cultural foods as I used to (part of what led me to becoming obese). I eat for my body's needs, strength and health. Cultures be damned, because at the end of the day take any cultural food and it's loaded in things that lead to being a ball of lard, not an athlete and not fit.

Most cultural foods are either heavy in carbs, heavy in grease/oils, heavy in sodium, with too little protein/meat (Arabs being the exception lots of meat).

People are not farmers today either. My background is mixed East European and our cultural foods are FARMER foods, HEAVY in breads and bread like derivatives, heavy in red meat and dairy. Just can't sustain that sort of food working in an office. To top it off today east europeans induldge in junk (chips, chocolate, etc...) like anyone else in the world does freely. The result? They are all mostly balls of lard.

I don't indulge in foods like I once did, because I think before I eat.

And juice? Then go squeeze the fruits yourself without sugar. I never consume "juices" in tetrapack because of additives, not to mention they'll have undergone sterilization process. Most fruits' sugars are fructose, which is around 4 times sweeter than sucrose and glucose. Hence only little amount of fructose will taste so sweet. But it's not like they're in a super huge amount like industrial sweetened products, like HFS.
                    'Juices' are garbage another fad that corporations fooled the consumer just like 'low fat' alternatives. LOADED with sugar and as bad and worse than sodas.

Fruits have fructose but like you said, less while tasting sweeter, sure companies use fructose to make their addictive processed products, HOWEVER people still over induldge in sugars period.

If I only need 100g-150g on average for a heavy weight lifting session, 200g+ for back or leg days and under 100g if I'm cutting preworkout and not much else throughout the day. So what business do lazy inactive people have in consuming a pop or tetrapak serving that contains 50g sugar+ per serving, on top of whatever else they'll probably smash down alongside it?

Fruits are very healthy, let not the fear of sugar make you avoid them :) Or if you could, consume a younger fruit where the carbs are still in the form of starch. With fruit maturity going, starch will be converted into sugars and organic acids by endogenous enzymes.
                    It's not about fear, it's about knowing how much you really need for your own body, it's metabolism, your level of activity and response. People over indulge period. Just because something is natural and healthy doesn't mean you go at it free for all which is what people do including those that think they are living 'healthy'. My family was the first to fall for this trap. We buy all healthy foods at home, but my mom thinks eating more of 'healthy' is healthy, but all it led to was being fat for everyone.

Introduction of HFS, processed junk, fast food junk, excess sugars in everything is part of the whole diabetes and obesity epidemic. People eat for pleasure rather than for need.

I eat for need and always have a reminder at the back of my mind to never get carried away with taste.

Finally one last bit, we are not a car that you just put fuel through and it gets burnt as a fossil fuel in a combustion process. We have a complex metabolism that goes through different pathways and processes, that each ingredient that's put through us will result in hormonal and chemical responses that affect our whole mental and physical being. Just because something is a sugar and something else is a sugar does not mean it will respond the same way in our body. Otherwise one could sustain and build a body with soda cans rather than green vegetables or a variety of complex carbohydrates (nutrients aside). A calorie is only a calorie in a burnt gasoline car and in a laboratory, but in the human body, a calorie is not just a calorie. I am aware that many people hold this view of a calorie just being a calorie but it's simpleton and ignorant view by ignoring the complexities and nature of the human metabolism.

If everything was simply about 'calories being calories' then how would gorillas be as jacked as they are from eating bananas or cows/bulls grazing grass. Something to think about, I'm aware of things like myostatin and genetic factors, but at the end of the day, not to get too off topic, our metabolism works a certain way, we are not something you calculate or manipulate on glass in a lab.

And finally one last thing lol (long rant), when ramadan comes, suddenly people talk about eating healthy, not over-indulding, eating foods that give sustained levels of energy, preserve muscle, etc... but why just now? Everyone should be eating this way year round. All i flip around ramadan time is my food timing and quantity (obviously less) with the exception being, introduction of fruits for hydration/extra vitamins/nutrients. Otherwise I eat the same all year long. It's no different than being a good Muslim in ramadan suddenly vs the rest of the year. Should be the whole year not suddenly over night for a month.

So likewise, I rather use the space in my stomach for something worthwhile for my body, rather than waste the space be it soda or anything else. Ramadan or not.
                    Last edited by Ahmed2013; 03-07-14, 05:06 AM.

Comment

^ & fructose is harder for the body to convert to energy than sucrose in some situations. This is good if you want the energy to last longer, but very bad if you are overweight, have liver/kidney damage, or a predisposition to insulin resistance or diabetes. My late uncle's doctor told him to cut back on the sugary fruits and eat more fresh vegetables. (He was diabetic).

Comment

Originally posted by Heart_ View Post
                        Drink like 8 in a day for a entire month and than come back to me and tell me what happens :)

Do not invest your hopes in anyone but Allah and do not fear anything but the consequences and repercussions of your sins!

Uthmaan R.A

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmed2013 View Post
                          Most cultural foods are either heavy in carbs, heavy in grease/oils, heavy in sodium, with too little protein/meat (Arabs being the exception lots of meat).

So likewise, I rather use the space in my stomach for something worthwhile for my body, rather than waste the space be it soda or anything else. Ramadan or not.
                          Agree. I don;t claim my diet or my people's diet is the healthiest. We eat white rice or brown rice, sometimes cassava and sweet potato, or sagoe, for staple food. But vegetables are cheap and abundant as hell in here while meat is really expensive. Especially in Ramadan, women (mummies) will usually complain the meat price (beef, chicken, fish) skyrockets. You can buy vegetables for 3 people portions (sans rice) for only less than $5. Don't ask about fermented soy like tempeh or tofu, $1 can get you tempeh / tofu stock for days.

For the last 8 months I've been abandoning meat (though not always 100%, honest. Once a month I eat meat and milk. and I still consume eggs), and I noticed my energy level skyrockets. Add that with honey and black seeds per sunnah, the energizing effect is just wow! It's just now I'm pregnant I can't go on with vegetarianism again. Even veggies now made me vomit or nauseous during first month, my husband was like, "you can't be pregnant and remain vegetarian!". :rotfl: Now for the sake of baby I'm a meat eater and milk consumer again loool.

Of course industrial "juices" are just garbage in disguise. It's just I hate sweet taste except for honey and fruits, I can't understand why some people have craving to sweets. And Coca cola or pepsi has disgusting taste.

People are not farmers today either. My background is mixed East European and our cultural foods are FARMER foods, HEAVY in breads and bread like derivatives, heavy in red meat and dairy. Just can't sustain that sort of food working in an office. To top it off today east europeans induldge in junk (chips, chocolate, etc...) like anyone else in the world does freely. The result? They are all mostly balls of lard.
                          For a story, my husband came from a small town where people mostly eat goat. Goat, goat, goat everywhere. But they have pretty long lifespan like 80+ years and away from cholesterol problem, and most of them are slender not fat!!!

Apart from goat, they also consume a lot of raw garlic, raw shallot, fresh spices, and tea. So when you order a goat in restaurant, they will also provide you a separate plate filled with TONS of raw garlic and raw shallot to eat directly, and a big glass of tea. People there also love to do long walk and biking. American style fast food counters are far and between since it's a closet village. People buy fishes directly from fishermen in the sea instead of supermarket.

I guess maybe they neutralize the goat effect! And anyway, my late grandpa was diabetic and he's a staunch vegetarian, he lived up to 91 years of age.

Originally posted by |Sister| View Post
                          Drinking too much tea causes skeletal fluorosis, it can over-build the bones and cause serious health problems like tooth loss. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/womans-1...r-doctors-say/. Tea is considered 'healthy'.

There are many foods we eat everyday that can be used as an effective cleaner. How about vinegar? The PH of distilled vinegar (CH3COOH) is 2.5 while soda is only 3.5. Vinegar can eat away at your tooth enamel just like soda can, yet the Prophet(saw) loved it and advised it as a condiment for food.
                          Yep anything not in moderation will only harm your body. And about vinegar, it's not like you're drinking vinegar and sip it from its bottle, :rotfl: you just sprinkle it as condiment. Baking soda is effective cleaner as well. I have yet to try Coca Cola tips as stain remover I might try it someday. My biggest problem with it is the huge amount of sugar (as Ahmed2013 explained), and for me personally, nasty taste.
                          Last edited by Ariadne; 03-07-14, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                          X