Need detailed fatwa on making up fasts for someone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need detailed fatwa on making up fasts for someone

Someone asked me the rulings on making up fasts and honestly I don't have a detailed answer as I'm no mufti.

I tried look on islamqa.com but most of the answers are scattered.

Basically what are all the rulings on breaking fasts, making up fasts, etc...

He mentioned to me that he wants to know if kaffarah is:

Freeing a muslim slave

Feeding 60 poor people

Or fasting 2 months
    I never heard of the fasting two months??? I thought it was one day for one missed fast or feeding poor (and it's in a specific quantity/I forget exactly).

Someone help me out?

Re: Need detailed fatwa on making up fasts for someone

What's the reason for missing/breaking fasts?

Comment

Don't know, I was just asked the question.

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmed2013 View Post
        Don't know, I was just asked the question.
        I think it depends on the reason.

Comment

I found a similar answer here: http://www.myreligionislam.com/detail.asp?Aid=5910 although I'm not sure of the site (never heard of it just ran across it in google)

Which mentions either free a slave if not, then fast two months consecutively and if not that, then feed the poor.

Just wanted clarification and confirmation. He's not fatwa shopping, just wants a clear answer and I am not sure myself so wanted to know too.

Comment

Originally posted by Abu 'Abdullaah View Post
            I think it depends on the reason.
            Is there an article on islamqa.com which has a detailed answer to this question broken down in detail for different conditions, etc...? I could not find it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmed2013 View Post
              Is there an article on islamqa.com which has a detailed answer to this question broken down in detail for different conditions, etc...? I could not find it.
              Dunno.

You might find the answer in a book or lecture on the fiqh of fasting Ramadan.

Comment

Yeah was hoping for someone to help out and share something along those lines.

Comment

u cant miss fasts??

only if u have a medical condition or preggers

http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/in...cles&id=153339

^ does that answer ur Q
                  My ♥ only lets الله‎ in

Comment

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

For starters, you are supposed to make up missed fasts from Ramadan as soon as possible, ideally in a manner that one follows the other although you can fast with gaps in between the fasts. If the person is sick, then he makes them up after the illness ceases. If someone dies and has fasts left over, then a poor person is to be fed for the fasts missed. What else would you like to know in specific?
                    Watch those eyes

Comment

Originally posted by ZeeshanParvez View Post
                      بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

For starters, you are supposed to make up missed fasts from Ramadan as soon as possible, ideally in a manner that one follows the other although you can fast with gaps in between the fasts. If the person is sick, then he makes them up after the illness ceases. If someone dies and has fasts left over, then a poor person is to be fed for the fasts missed. What else would you like to know in specific?
                      actually prego women have to make up their fasts consecutively

NO GAPS
                      My ♥ only lets الله‎ in

Comment

Additionally, according some schools of thought, if you have fasts left over from Ramadan and you delay them so much that the next Ramadan starts and you have no excuse for doing so then you have to not only make up the fasts but also pay Kaffarah.
                        Watch those eyes

Comment

Originally posted by ZeeshanParvez View Post
                          Additionally, according some schools of thought, if you have fasts left over from Ramadan and you delay them so much that the next Ramadan starts and you have no excuse for doing so then you have to not only make up the fasts but also pay Kaffarah.
                          I asked the UF scholar, omg its been so long ive forgotten his user name :/ yikes

but he said hanafis can makeup even if its been over a year
                          My ♥ only lets الله‎ in

Comment

Originally posted by Fairy View Post
                            actually prego women have to make up their fasts consecutively

NO GAPS
                            Is this in a particular school of thought. As this fatwa here by Darulifta seem to suggest otherwise.
                            Last edited by ZeeshanParvez; 27-06-14, 01:16 AM. Reason: I cant spell
                            Watch those eyes

Comment

The following has been summarised from Umdatul Fiqh by Ibn Qudamah.

Rulings on those Exempt from Fasting.

1. An ill person who would be harmed by fasting and the traveller who is permitted to shorten the prayer. For them, breaking the fast is preferable and they should make it up [for the number of days they did not fast], but if they fast, it will be valid.

2. A menstruating woman and one having postpartum bleeding. They break their fast and make up [for those days], and if they fast, it will not be valid.

3. A pregnant woman and one who is breastfeeding. If they fear for themselves, they break their fast and make up for it. If they fear for their unborn children, they break their fast, make up for it, and feed one poor individual per day.

4. The fourth type is the person who is incapable of fasting because of old age or an incurable disease. In this case, he should feed one poor individual per day.

As for the rest of those who break their fast, they should only make up [those days], except for someone who breaks his fast by having intercourse. In this case, he must make it up and free a slave. If he cannot do that, he should fast two consecutive months; if he cannot, he should feed sixty individuals; and if he cannot, then the burden is lifted from him.

If he had intercourse and did not expiate it before he had intercourse again,then only one expiation is due on him. If he expiated it and had intercourse a second time, then a second expiation is mandatory on him.

Anyone who is required to abstain [from the nullifiers of fasting] in Ramadan, and has intercourse, should expiate.

If one delays making up these days until the next Ramadan comes, and he has an excuse, then nothing is required of him except making them up. If he procrastinated without an excuse, then he should feed one poor individual per day.

If he deferred making it up until he died, then there is nothing required of him. If it was without an excuse, then one poor individual should be fed per day on his behalf - unless obligatory fasting was becuse of a vow, in which case someone should fast on his behalf. Likewise, is the ruling for [making up on someone's behalf] every vow to do a righteous deed.

*There are lots of footnotes so let me know if you want scans.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X