Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E = mc^2 is Shirk

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • E = mc^2 is Shirk

    :salams brothers and sisters,

    I have a question pertaining to the title. I'm currently taking a course from IOU and I fell on this:

    "Einstein's Theory of Relativity (E = mc2, Energy is equal to mass times the square of the speed of light) taught in all schools is in fact an expression of Shirk in al-Asmaa was-Sifaat. The theory states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed; it merely transforms into matter and vice versa. However, both matter and energy are created entities and they both will be destroyed as Allaah clearly states:"

    "Allaah is the creator of all things..."

    "Everything in (the world) will perish..."

    The theory also implies that mass and energy are eternal having no beginning or end since they are supposed to be uncreated and transform into each other. However, this attribute belongs only to Allaah who alone is without beginning or end.


    I never really thought about the first law of thermodynamics as being a statement of shirk until today and I'm a bit confused. It's true that Allah SWT can do whatever he wishes but this law of thermodynamics refers only to the universe we live in [I think], and not to what was in it's place before the BigBang or after the Last Hour .
    In other words, this 1st law of thermodynamics seems to be true in terms of current knowledge of the universe and since it's Allah SWT who created the law of physics like gravity, why is this statement considered to be shirk?


    Source: http://books.google.ca/books?id=M1iG...sifaat&f=false
    ومن يتوكل على الله فهو حسبه
    And whosoever puts his trust in Allah,
    Then He will suffice him.

  • #2
    Re: E = mc^2 is Shirk

    Maybe because such worldly laws may be nullified by Allah (swt) at His will or another way of looking at is that we humans are also created from pre-existent clay and have been breathed into of Allah's spirit. And after we die, we are resurrected. On another note, some scholars say that heaven and hell will be on Earth, perhaps those also are the result of a transformation.
    Last edited by dzj1; 27-04-14, 09:52 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: E = mc^2 is Shirk

      nvm
      Last edited by Hadid; 27-04-14, 09:53 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: E = mc^2 is Shirk

        Islamic online university? I'm interested in applying in sha Allah

        I wouldn't have thought of the equation in that way, to be honest most of the laws of physics is similar and most of them are just theories
        'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

        So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: E = mc^2 is Shirk

          The theory states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed; it merely transforms into matter and vice versa.
          maybe it means cannot be destroyed or created by mans efforts?

          There are two kinds of pride, both good and bad. 'Good pride' represents our dignity and self-respect. 'Bad pride' is the deadly sin of superiority that reeks of conceit and arrogance.


          Comment


          • #6
            Re: E = mc^2 is Shirk

            Originally posted by SILURES View Post
            maybe it means cannot be destroyed or created by mans efforts?
            yes good point, but then again it has to make sense for the big bang theory doesn't it so........hmmmm.......just a means of supporting that theory?
            'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

            So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: E = mc^2 is Shirk

              W/salam,

              Pardon my ignorance, but what does E=mc2 have to do with the first law of thermodynamics?

              And ofcourse it's going to have shirky elements as it's a definition from purely scientific point of view. Many of these general laws do. For example, saying that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: E = mc^2 is Shirk

                Originally posted by Ya'sin View Post
                yes good point, but then again it has to make sense for the big bang theory doesn't it so........hmmmm.......just a means of supporting that theory?
                The two are not related.


                Fun fact: That's only half the equation.
                the full equation is E^2 = (mc^2)^2 + (pc)^2.

                In any case, the whole idea behind science is to explain phenomena without the intervention of a outside being as it were.
                So in assumption that nothing is being created and destroyed within the universe at a certain moment. The equations will hold.
                Collection of Arabic Learning material and Islamic Books



                Away for a bit

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: E = mc^2 is Shirk

                  Originally posted by Yunus aua View Post
                  The two are not related.


                  Fun fact: That's only half the equation.
                  the full equation is E^2 = (mc^2)^2 + (pc)^2.

                  In any case, the whole idea behind science is to explain phenomena without the intervention of a outside being as it were.
                  So in assumption that nothing is being created and destroyed within the universe at a certain moment. The equations will hold.
                  So is it shirk to believe in the equation or you just have to add the condition that if Allah wishes, he can nullify the law and create anything from absolutely nothing. By adding that condition, does it eliminates the shirk from the statement?
                  ومن يتوكل على الله فهو حسبه
                  And whosoever puts his trust in Allah,
                  Then He will suffice him.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: E = mc^2 is Shirk

                    I was referring to silures comment regarding energy overall, because this is connected to quarks and quasars, which are protons that are not destroyed and therefore they say the energy was formed with tiny tiny quasars. does that make sense?
                    'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

                    So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: E = mc^2 is Shirk

                      Originally posted by Muslimman3 View Post
                      So is it shirk to believe in the equation or you just have to add the condition that if Allah wishes, he can nullify the law and create anything from absolutely nothing. By adding that condition, does it eliminates the shirk from the statement?

                      Unfortunately I can't answer that question
                      Collection of Arabic Learning material and Islamic Books



                      Away for a bit

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: E = mc^2 is Shirk

                        Originally posted by Ya'sin View Post
                        Islamic online university? I'm interested in applying in sha Allah

                        I wouldn't have thought of the equation in that way, to be honest most of the laws of physics is similar and most of them are just theories
                        Yes, Islamic Online University. Look up previous threads on IOU, they inspired me to start doing a diploma and maybe a degree later on. You should go for it, it's free and it seems to be great as well.
                        ومن يتوكل على الله فهو حسبه
                        And whosoever puts his trust in Allah,
                        Then He will suffice him.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: E = mc^2 is Shirk

                          Originally posted by from the west: View Post
                          W/salam,

                          Pardon my ignorance, but what does E=mc2 have to do with the first law of thermodynamics?

                          And ofcourse it's going to have shirky elements as it's a definition from purely scientific point of view. Many of these general laws do. For example, saying that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.
                          True, this is why I wanted to know,if you add the condition that if Allah wishes he can make any scientific law void, can this remove the shirky element of the law.
                          E = mc2 shows that matter can make energy and energy can make matter. 1st law of Thermodynamics says that nothing (matter or energy) can be created nor destroyed, it can only transform... To be honest, dunno if they have any innate link between each other lol. I just quoted what the Sheikh wrote in the book.
                          ومن يتوكل على الله فهو حسبه
                          And whosoever puts his trust in Allah,
                          Then He will suffice him.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: E = mc^2 is Shirk

                            I remember the shiekh saying that but I don't know much about physics so I didn't even think about it.

                            Didn't he say just add it can't be created or destroyed by humans and you're good to go.
                            Say (O Muhammad SAW to mankind):
                            “If you (really) love Allāh then follow me (i.e. accept Islāmic Monotheism, follow the Qur’ān and the Sunnah), Allāh will love you and forgive you of your sins. And Allāh is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.” (Aali Imran 3:31)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: E = mc^2 is Shirk

                              Originally posted by Aliyah101 View Post
                              I remember the shiekh saying that but I don't know much about physics so I didn't even think about it.

                              Didn't he say just add it can't be created or destroyed by humans and you're good to go.
                              He said when you're writing a school test and they ask you about E=mc2, write in brackets after your answer [By MEN]. Because we humans beings cannot create nor destroy energy. -> The thing is that the law refers to the whole universe: The universe, the stars and the galaxies can't create nor destroy energy and matter.
                              ومن يتوكل على الله فهو حسبه
                              And whosoever puts his trust in Allah,
                              Then He will suffice him.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X