Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suhaib Webb says it is okay to say Merry Xmas

Suhaib Webb:

The European Fatwa Council; made up of 20 of the worlds greatest Muslim Jurists, stated that it is permissible to greet people on these days (exchange gifts even) as long as it does not involve approving any creedal differences between us, or open evil (drinking and so on). In other words, a simple happy holidays is not a sin or going to take that person out of Islam. It is reported with authentic chains that Ali (ra) celebrated the Persian New Year, even eating ice cream with Imam Abu Hanifa's relative. Many of the fatwa quoted by sincere folks are rooted in an age of empire and war (the crusades) or a social reality that does not fit ours in the West. Most importantly, a person should ask those who use words like "haram" "kufur" "Halal" and "encouraged" about their religious training. Yelling and over blown emotionalism does not equal training and scholarship. Allah knows best

source: http://fb.com
    /suhaib.webb/posts/10151299865648080

This person thinks he is better than Ibn Al Qayyim:

Ibn al-Qayyim, may Allaah have mercy on him, said in Ahkaam Ahl ath-Thimmah: 'Congratulating the Kuffaar on the rituals that belong only to them is Haraam by consensus, as is congratulating them on their festivals and fasts by saying ‘A happy festival to you’ or ‘May you enjoy your festival,’ and so on. If the one who says this has been saved from Kufr, it is still forbidden. It is like congratulating someone for prostrating to the cross, or even worse than that. It is as great a sin as congratulating someone for drinking wine, or murdering someone, or having illicit sexual relations, and so on. Many of those who have no respect for their religion fall into this error; they do not realize the offensiveness of their actions. Whoever congratulates a person for his disobedience or bid’ah or Kufr exposes himself to the wrath and anger of Allaah'.
    Last edited by MuslimSoljah; 26-12-12, 12:04 AM.

Re: Suhaib Webb says it is okay to say Merry Xmas

just because he has a different opinion than Ibn Qayyim means that he thinks he's better than him? I'm sure he would agree that nobody alive right now is a greater scholar than Ibn Qayyim. Here's his reply to someone who posted Ibn Qayyim's fatwa in the comments section:

"Ibn Qayyim (May Allah have mercy on him) wrote that during the back drop of the Crusades. Furthermore, it is a fatwa, like the others and, as noted by the scholars a fatwa "Is not binding on anyone." May Allah bless you for commenting."

- but i do disagree with him. i agree with the opinion that its forbidden to say merry xmas. to each their own though i suppose.
    Last edited by Thunder94; 26-12-12, 12:21 AM.
    ***Reminder- It was narrated from ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood that RasulAllah :saw: said: Whoever reads Tabaarak allaathi bi yadihi’l-mulk [i.e., Soorat al-Mulk] every night, Allaah will protect him from the torment of the grave.
    And never think that Allah is unaware of what the wrongdoers do. He only delays them for a Day when eyes will stare [in horror]. [Quran, 14:42]

Comment

:salams

I agree. That in no way means he thinks he is better than anyone. And, it seems he is only relaying the fatwa of European Fatwa Council of 20 Jurists, it's not his direct words.

Wallahu Alam.
      Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
      - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

:salams

Maybe you should read through his replies eh muslimsoulja?

What a childish thing to say "This person thinks he is better than Ibn Al Qayyim"

Comment

Some of the comments are funny. It's as if they finally found the fatwa they were looking for...

Comment

Originally posted by Abu 'Abdullaah View Post
            Some of the comments are funny. It's as if they finally found the fatwa they were looking for...
            i agree.
            ***Reminder- It was narrated from ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood that RasulAllah :saw: said: Whoever reads Tabaarak allaathi bi yadihi’l-mulk [i.e., Soorat al-Mulk] every night, Allaah will protect him from the torment of the grave.
            And never think that Allah is unaware of what the wrongdoers do. He only delays them for a Day when eyes will stare [in horror]. [Quran, 14:42]

Comment

but suhaib webb is considered a "scholar" in the usa, he definitely has a following

so by posting the european fatwa, he is endorsing and supporting it, hence it becomes "his fatwa"

now, as any muslim, we fear Allah and we try to please Allah, not people, thats basic Islam 101

as a scholar, you are supposed to be more aware of that than most others, hence telling muslims that they can do something that was considered a major sin in the past should have more than "i think, i feel, i believe" attached to it, and if it starts out with "these days are different......there better be some daleel in the sunnah to support it

sorry, i agree with muslimsolja, at least in meaning, if not actual words
              .لا نريد زعيما يخاف البيت الإبيض
              نريد زعيما يخاف الواحد الأحد
              دولة الإسلامية باقية

Comment

We have to look back at the Prophet of Allah saw if he did this or not. He did not.

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMubarak View Post
                  but suhaib webb is considered a "scholar" in the usa, he definitely has a following

so by posting the european fatwa, he is endorsing and supporting it, hence it becomes "his fatwa"

now, as any muslim, we fear Allah and we try to please Allah, not people, thats basic Islam 101

as a scholar, you are supposed to be more aware of that than most others, hence telling muslims that they can do something that was considered a major sin in the past should have more than "i think, i feel, i believe" attached to it, and if it starts out with "these days are different......there better be some daleel in the sunnah to support it

sorry, i agree with muslimsolja, at least in meaning, if not actual words
                  I think he just recently became a Mufti? Or maybe it was someone else.

:rotfl: at the first reply:

"Awesome".

By reading the comments I don't think he fully agrees with it, but was sharing it.
                  If you were in the clouds, Allah would raise us to you or lower you to us for battle.

said this to the Byzantine troops when they retreated from the battle field to the fortified town of Chalcis.

- Khalid ibn Walid

Comment

Originally posted by MuslimSoljah View Post
                    We have to look back at the Prophet of Allah saw if he did this or not. He did not.
                    Really? Wow ..
                    If you were in the clouds, Allah would raise us to you or lower you to us for battle.

said this to the Byzantine troops when they retreated from the battle field to the fortified town of Chalcis.

- Khalid ibn Walid

Comment

Originally posted by MuslimSoljah View Post
                      What's funny is he completely debunked this claim in the comments...

Comment

Originally posted by .Kid. View Post
                        What's funny is he completely debunked this claim in the comments...
                        yes i saw that, but i kinda disagree.

he used wearing a hoodie as a counter-argument, which i thought was a bad comparison and didn't really make sense to me.
                        Last edited by Thunder94; 26-12-12, 01:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fais View Post
                          I think he just recently became a Mufti? Or maybe it was someone else.

:rotfl: at the first reply:

"Awesome".

By reading the comments I don't think he fully agrees with it, but was sharing it.
                          akhi, even here on ummah.com

typically, if you or i share something we disagree with, we put a disclaimer

if it is something we agree with, we leave it alone or even add a rejoinder

i understand making excuses for fellow muslims, but we are talking to someone who has a following of thousands, like you said, someone already said "awesome" as if they can now hang mistletoe

during these days, we need to encourage each other to practice the BEST islam, not the weakest
                          دولة الإسلامية باقية

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMubarak View Post

Well, he did mention Ali (RA) and the Persian New Year.
                            Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
                            - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

akhi, look at that stretch

tell me how ali "celebrated" the persian new year

we all "celebrate" the christian new year, how many of us will not write Jan 1, 2013?
                              i hope none of us go out drinking and making new years resolutions

not only that, christmas is much different than New Years,

it is very irresponsible in this day and time to make such sweeping statements, instead of leading the ummah closer to the sunnah, we are being led closer to kufr

sorry, i dont buy any of it
                              دولة الإسلامية باقية

Comment

Working...
                              X