Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking up at the sky during prayer

Narrated Anas bin Malik (Radi-Allahu 'anhu):

The Prophet (Sallallahu 'Alaihi Wa Sallam) said, "What is wrong with those people who look towards the sky during the prayer?" His talk grew stern
    while delivering this speech and he said, "They should stop (looking towards the sky during the prayer); otherwise their eye-sight would be
    taken away."

Bukhari Vol. 1 : No. 717
    ......however, I tend to look up at the sky while making dua AFTER the Prayer. I tend to say my dua's, look up at the sky, then back to my palms, to then wipe them over my face.

Am I wrong on doing this?
    “Allah does not place a burden upon a person except that which he is capable” (Al-Baqarah: 286)

Re: Looking up at the sky during prayer

Originally posted by Ibrahim70 View Post
    ......however, I tend to look up at the sky while making dua AFTER the Prayer. I tend to say my dua's, look up at the sky, then back to my palms, to then wipe them over my face.

Best not to do this, I would say.
    Free Web Hosting Pakistan - BASE.PK
    Hi Web.India - Free Web Hosting India

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Hassan View Post
      Best not to do this, I would say.
      Ok fair enough :)

Well that was quick! :jkk: Brother
      “Allah does not place a burden upon a person except that which he is capable” (Al-Baqarah: 286)

Comment

I don't know the answer but if you say the reason WHY you do this, then perhaps it will be easier for someone to provide an answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Hafsah1 View Post
          I don't know the answer but if you say the reason WHY you do this, then perhaps it will be easier for someone to provide an answer.
          The reason why I do that? Perhaps because as a born non-Muslim I was brought up to believe the God in up there on a cloud watching down upon us (Christians, love em ), and so with this in mind i tend to look up to where I believe Allah is, looking down upon me. Not on a cloud of course(!), but just above us looking down upon us.

Now I think about it, im wrong arent i.....

Comment

I used to see a lot of people looking at the Ka'bah when in Salaah.......is this permissable?
            وَالْعَصْرِ

إِنَّ الْإِنسَانَ لَفِي خُسْرٍ

إِلَّا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالْحَقِّ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالصَّبْرِ

"If Allah (swt) only sent this Surah to us, for the guidance of Mankind, this will be enough for us” - Imam Shaafi'ee r.a.

"Yeh dunya daar e faani hain, Tum apna dil mat lagaon, Ganimat samaj zinadagee ki bahar, aana na hoga, yahaa baar baar......"

Khanqah Habibiyah

Comment

The reason why I do that? Perhaps because as a born non-Muslim I was brought up to believe the God in up there on a cloud watching down upon us (Christians, love em ), and so with this in mind i tend to look up to where I believe Allah is, looking down upon me. Not on a cloud of course(!), but just above us looking down upon us.

Yup, if you think he is physically and literrally up there than that could account to shirk as Allah is free from time and space.
              Free Web Hosting Pakistan - BASE.PK
              Hi Web.India - Free Web Hosting India

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Hassan View Post
                Yup, if you think he is physically and literrally up there than that could account to shirk as Allah is free from time and space.
                Good point, ok this spells the end of me looking up at the sky then

:jkk: once again Ahki

Comment

Yeh but you're not looking up while praying salaah, you're doing it during the duaa, I think it is talking about when you do it while in salaah.
                  Last edited by x--x; 14-05-12, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by x--x View Post
                    Yeh but you're not looking up while praying salaah, you're doing it during the duaa, I think he is talking about when you do it while in salaah.
                    Yes He (saw) was, but i was just wondering i this ruling also applied to duas as well....

Comment

Yes He (saw) was, but i was just wondering i this ruling also applied to duas as well....
                      Ops sorry didn't read the OP properly didn't realise it was a hadith

Comment

:salams

The Etiquette of Du'a

"To abstain from raising the eyes towards the sky whilst making Duaa (Muslim)"

Also, while in salaah, your eyes should be where you will prostrate, for the most part.

Wallahu Alam.
                        Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
                        - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

Originally posted by .mirror. View Post

The Etiquette of Du'a

:jkk: :up: a worthy read for us all

Comment

lol i get you i had to break the habit of looking up too best to not do so though brother what i did was concentrate on my actions as well as the words of my prayer keeping in total submission best to keep your eyes down as a state of respect for The Almighty. looking down to the ground or down at the lap/hands is a sign of humbleness
                            Abu Harayrah reported that Allah's Messenger SAW said, "Do you know what backbiting is?" The Companions replied, "Allaah and His Prophet alone know." He said, "It is mentioning about your brother what he dislikes." One of the Companions asked, "What if what I say about him is true?" He replied, "If what you say about him is true, you have backbitten, and if it isn't true you have slandered him." Backbiting is Haraam because it is an attack on a Muslim's honour. It exposes weaknesses which need not be exposed. it lowers him in the eyes of others. Backbiting is the most common sin which goes by without notice. Instead of slandering ones brother - pray for his weakness and guide him in that which he sees not.:up:

Comment

Originally posted by .mirror. View Post

The Etiquette of Du'a

Also, while in salaah, your eyes should be where you will prostrate, for the most part.

Wallahu Alam.
                              How does that tally in with the ayah.

144. Verily! We have seen the turning of your (Muhammad's ) face towards the heaven. Surely, We shall turn you to a Qiblah (prayer direction) that shall please you, so turn your face in the direction of Al-Masjid- al-Haram (at Makkah). And wheresoever you people are, turn your faces (in prayer) in that direction. Certainly, the people who were given the Scriptures (i.e. Jews and the Christians) know well that, that (your turning towards the direction of the Ka'bahat Makkah in prayers) is the truth from their Lord. And Allah is not unaware of what they do.

FEAR ALLAH (SWT) AS HE DESERVES TO BE FEARED!!!
                              OH Allah help your slaves in As Sham
                              Donate to syria.
                              *Sisters please do not rep or PM me as my wife will kill me so rep her instead*

Comment

Working...
                              X