Best English translation of the Quran.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best English translation of the Quran.

I'm just about to purchase my first copy and wanting to know which is the best translation into English?

Re: Best English translation of the Quran.

Originally posted by kentist View Post
    I'm just about to purchase my first copy and wanting to know which is the best translation into English?
    I'd say Yusuf Ali (ra) :up:
    'Nor say of anything,"I shall be sure to do so and so tomorrow" without adding, " if Allah (SWT) Wills" (18:23-24)

QuranExplorer.com, where you can Listen to the Holy Recitation and Translation online in Arabic and English : http://www.quranexplorer.com/quran/ :)

Comment

this and this

Originally posted by Peacenik View Post
      yusuf ali's footnotes filled with rationalist deviations so i wouldn't recommend it to anyone
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Peacenik View Post
        Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
        yusuf ali's footnotes filled with rationalist deviations so i wouldn't recommend it to anyone
        I haven't really come across any. Do you have any examples ?
        'Nor say of anything,"I shall be sure to do so and so tomorrow" without adding, " if Allah (SWT) Wills" (18:23-24)

QuranExplorer.com, where you can Listen to the Holy Recitation and Translation online in Arabic and English : http://www.quranexplorer.com/quran/ :)

Comment

I would recommend Muhsin Khans translation

Here's an online version http://www.dar-us-salam.com/TheNobleQuran/index.html

لا تفكر كثيرا
          بل استغفر كثيرا

-------------------------------------------------------
          The children need your prayers more than anyone else
          -------------------------------------------------------
          www.inheritorsofquran.wordpress.com

Comment

Sahih International

Abdul Haleem

Aishah Bewley

Taqi Usmani

You can check them all out here.
            "And thus have We willed you to be a community of the middle way."
            (al-Baqarah: 143)

Allahumma innaa na'udhu bika min an nushrika bika shai-an na'lamuh; wa nastaghfiruka limaa laa na'lam.

Comment

www.quran.com - Click and see what one you like and can understand. Personally I like the Pickthall translation for ease
              SPREAD OF EVIL
              ZIONISM
              BOLLYWOOD

Comment

Saheeh International as it it's translation is a nice modern english type that is understood by all. Personally I would stay away from Yusuf Ali as it has some dodgy translations and Allah knows best.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunnah321 View Post
                  Personally I would stay away from Yusuf Ali as it has some dodgy translations and Allah knows best.
                  Everyone keeps saying that but with no proof.

Please remain silent if you haven't any evidence.

JZK.

Comment

Originally posted by the_middle_road View Post
                    Abdul Haleem

Aishah Bewley
                    These two are really good. The Aisha Bewley translation, in particular, is very accessible and easy to understand masha'Allah.

I've also heard a lot of criticism of the Yusuf Ali translation....Allah knows best, but I choose to avoid it.

Comment

Abdullah Yusuf Ali's The Holy Qur'an: Translation and Commentary (Lahore, 1934 37), perhaps the most popular translation, stands as another major achievement in this field. A civil servant by vocation, Yusuf Ali was not a scholar in the classical Muslim tradition. Small wonder, then, that some of his copious notes, particularly on hell and heaven, angels, jinn and polygamy, etc. are informed with the pseudo-rationalist spirit of his times, as for instance in the works of S. Ahmad and S. Ameer Ali.

His overemphasis on things spiritual also distorts the Qur'anic worldview. Against this is the fact that Yusuf Ali doubtless was one of the few Muslims who enjoyed an excellent command over the English language. It is fully reflected in his translation. Though his is more of a paraphrase than a literal translation, yet it faithfully represents the sense of the original.
                      Source
                      sigpic

Comment

this and this

sis, I've got a copy of it, there are some mistakes but as a translation it's quite good. If I want Tafsir of the Ayah's I refer to Tafsir Ibn Kathir ...

I would recommend Dr Muhsin & Taqi Udin Hilali translation as the best and most accurate in English. (the ones you put a link up for)

http://quran.com/1

:jkk:
                        Last edited by Saif-Uddin; 21-01-12, 01:40 PM.
                        http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

– Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

Comment

JZK but I feel what you've quoted is nothing major. As Brother Saif-Uddin has said, the translation is pretty good (and that's what I tend to go by).

Comment

Muhammad Marmaduke William Pickthall - i prefer his one :)
                            My ♥ only lets الله‎ in
                            ‘O Allah, forgive me, have mercy upon me, guide me, give me health and grant me sustenance.’
                            “Once you are real you can't become unreal again. It lasts for always.”

Comment

Originally posted by Fairy View Post
                              Muhammad Marmaduke William Pickthall - i prefer his one :)
                              anyone know if i can download sahih international for the iPad

Comment

Working...
                              X