Hands by ur side while praying?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hands by ur side while praying?

The malikis pray with their hands on their sides if im not mistaken ... and this was also the practice of the people of medina during Imam Malik(rah) time which was like 120 years after hijra ? ...... so like i dont get why there is so much difference in the style of praying ......

Re: Hands by ur side while praying?

It seems Imam Maalik used put his hands on the side due to a certain reason(not sunnah) And Allah(swt) knows best....... Check out this link bro,

Maalikis putting their hands by their sides when praying

Comment

Originally posted by mozlem View Post
      It seems Imam Maalik used put his hands on the side due to a certain reason(not sunnah) And Allah(swt) knows best....... Check out this link bro,

Maalikis putting their hands by their sides when praying
      I can't recall where I saw it, but I also read earlier in an another explanation that Imam Maalik [ra] was very much hurt and possibly that was the reason he held his hands at his sides. The above Islam QA link seems to corroborate that.

Comment

Originally posted by noobz View Post
        The malikis pray with their hands on their sides if im not mistaken ... and this was also the practice of the people of medina during Imam Malik(rah) time which was like 120 years after hijra ? ...... so like i dont get why there is so much difference in the style of praying ......
        Where did you get that this was the practice of the people of Madinah? It certainly wasn't. Even the main Maliki opinion is to fold your arms on your chest while praying. The practice of praying with hands on the sides came about from when Imam Malik was badly beaten and couldn't fold his arms so he prayed with them by his side. It is a weak opinion in the Maliki madhab. Most Malikis that I know pray with their arms folded.

Comment

The real question is, hold hands below the navel or above the navel?

Comment

Originally posted by faisal.r View Post
            The real question is, hold hands below the navel or above the navel?
            Well, this issue came up in class a couple weeks ago, and the Shaykh who is a Maliki but really strong in comparative fiqh, said that Rasulullah was known to hold his hands at his chest except a couple times in his life it is reported that he folded his hands at the navel as the Hanafis do. So there is daleel for both sides. I myself was grew up praying with my hands at the navel, so I'll continue doing so since it is a valid opinion with valid daleel.

Comment

I thought it was shias that did this ?
              'Nor say of anything,"I shall be sure to do so and so tomorrow" without adding, " if Allah (SWT) Wills" (18:23-24)

QuranExplorer.com, where you can Listen to the Holy Recitation and Translation online in Arabic and English : http://www.quranexplorer.com/quran/ :)

Comment

Originally posted by abdulsidd View Post
                Well, this issue came up in class a couple weeks ago, and the Shaykh who is a Maliki but really strong in comparative fiqh, said that Rasulullah was known to hold his hands at his chest except a couple times in his life it is reported that he folded his hands at the navel as the Hanafis do. So there is daleel for both sides. I myself was grew up praying with my hands at the navel, so I'll continue doing so since it is a valid opinion with valid daleel.
                My case is similar. I've been taught to hold hands at the navel, but recently I've become very conscious about my hand position for some reason. Now, I sometimes hold them just above the navel, sometimes at the navel, and sometimes just below. I just hope this won't be held against me when I'm judged.

Comment

Problem with those who continue to follow a madhab regardless of stronger opinion . Imam hanifah said if you find evidence which is different from what he does follow evidence.
                  The imams all based their fiqh and work around the availability of hadeeths. so if a hadith later was found to be stronger then you can still blind follow the imam..

Comment

Where did you get that this was the practice of the people of Madinah? It certainly wasn't. Even the main Maliki opinion is to fold your arms on your chest while praying. The practice of praying with hands on the sides came about from when Imam Malik was badly beaten and couldn't fold his arms so he prayed with them by his side. It is a weak opinion in the Maliki madhab. Most Malikis that I know pray with their arms folded.
                    No, this opinion did not come from Imam Malik being beaten severely and thus put his arms on the side. Please ask Maliki 'Ulamaa about their own Fiqh. Did you get this from Bilal Philips in his Evolution of the Fiqh book?

Maliki view isn't on the chest if I am not work...wallahu a'lam. Would need to confirm.

Noobz - Maliki Madhhab allows putting arms on the side. If you are confused why so much differences then watch Mufti 'Abdur Rahman Ibn Yusuf and Mufti Muhammad Ibn Adam's video on taqleed. They explain the difference part at some point in their lecture.

Comment

Originally posted by faisal.r View Post
                      My case is similar. I've been taught to hold hands at the navel, but recently I've become very conscious about my hand position for some reason. Now, I sometimes hold them just above the navel, sometimes at the navel, and sometimes just below. I just hope this won't be held against me when I'm judged.
                      I think that folding the arms is not a rukn of prayer. But maybe someone else can cofirm that.

Just try to be consistent and don't let Shaytan play with your mind. I was listening to a speech once, and the person who gave the speech said that Allah will not condemn someone to Hell on a technicality. So InshaAllah try to be consistent and don't worry too much about it. But if someone can confirm that it is a rukn of prayer then you should be more careful.

Comment

Originally posted by abooo View Post
                        Problem with those who continue to follow a madhab regardless of stronger opinion . Imam hanifah said if you find evidence which is different from what he does follow evidence.
                        The imams all based their fiqh and work around the availability of hadeeths. so if a hadith later was found to be stronger then you can still blind follow the imam..
                        u dont know if abu hanifah knew the hadeeth that scholars that came after them knew.

and he dint say if u find sahih hadith leave my opinion, to any layman,
                        that statement was for the scholars.

Comment

Originally posted by IbnulQayyim View Post
                          No, this opinion did not come from Imam Malik being beaten severely and thus put his arms on the side. Please ask Maliki 'Ulamaa about their own Fiqh. Did you get this from Bilal Philips in his Evolution of the Fiqh book?

Maliki view isn't on the chest if I am not work...wallahu a'lam. Would need to confirm.

Noobz - Maliki Madhhab allows putting arms on the side. If you are confused why so much differences then watch Mufti 'Abdur Rahman Ibn Yusuf and Mufti Muhammad Ibn Adam's video on taqleed. They explain the difference part at some point in their lecture.
                          No, I got it from my Shaykh who is a Maliki from Ghana and studied in Madinah and Makkah. Although he did say that the story is weak. But basically, the point is that holding the arms by the sides is a weak opinion even amongst the Malikis, according to my Shaykh.
                          Last edited by abdulsidd; 12-08-11, 12:27 PM.

Comment

There are different hadith, some say the Prophet :saw: folded hands below navel & others say above navels. I personally think that all opinions are valid if based on Sahih Hadith. The difference could be because the Prophet :saw: could have prayed in different ways. Allah knows best :)
                            Free Web Hosting Pakistan - BASE.PK
                            Hi Web.India - Free Web Hosting India

Comment

Originally posted by IbnulQayyim View Post
                              u dont know if abu hanifah knew the hadeeth that scholars that came after them knew.

and he dint say if u find sahih hadith leave my opinion, to any layman,
                              that statement was for the scholars.
                              Yes it is for the scholars i know...and those after wards have commented that hands over the chest is stronger opinion

Comment

Working...
                              X