What is a Khatam? Where is it from?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is a Khatam? Where is it from?

I think its where people make duas over food, but can someone please elaborate on this. Also Is it a bidah or what?

If a person was to make some duas and read a bit of Quran, with food in front of that person, and knows its not obligatory or anything like that,
    and thats it, would that person be sinning or what?

Can anyone give any info on khatams

Thanks in advance any info will help

JazakAllahKhair

Re: What is a Khatam? Where is it from?

would like to see the answer to this also since alot of desis do this.

Comment

Originally posted by Hafsah1 View Post
      I think its where people make duas over food, but can someone please elaborate on this. Also Is it a bidah or what?

If a person was to make some duas and read a bit of Quran, with food in front of that person, and knows its not obligatory or anything like that,
      and thats it, would that person be sinning or what?

Can anyone give any info on khatams

Thanks in advance any info will help

JazakAllahKhair
      Find a BRELVI Brother and get marry and he will help you to understand all these difficult questions
      :lailah:

Comment

Du’aa’ for completing the Qur’aan (khatam)
        ar - en - ur
        Many muslims during ramadhan read the quran and when on completion on the quran they have a so called "hatham" this is common for peopls from the indian subcontinant.What i want to know is is this "hatham" a sunnah of the rasool??or is it a bidah??. The "hatham" is usually by an imam,where he will recite a few duas from and read onto food which will be eaten and distributed to many people. please could you answer this because this is also practised when someone dies and and on every thursday evenning.if there is such a hadith on this practise please could u give me the reference?.

Praise be to Allaah.

Du’aa’ for completing the Qur’aan in the manner asked about here is a reprehensible innovation (bid’ah), which was not done by the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) or by the righteous salaf (may Allaah be pleased with them). If it had been something good, they would have done it before us.

Rather what is narrated from the salaf is to make du’aa’ after completing the Qur’aan, without stipulating any specific du’aa’ or any particular way of doing it. So if the Muslim completes the Holy Qur’aan, whether in Ramadaan or at other times, it is mustahabb for him to raise his hands and call upon Allaah, asking Him for the best in this world and in the Hereafter.

Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked:

Is there a specific du’aa’ for completing the Qur’aan?

He said:

There is no evidence that there is a specific du’aa’ for this as far as I know. Hence it is permissible for a person to make du’aa’ as he wishes and to choose beneficial supplications such as praying to be forgiven, to be granted Paradise and to be saved from Hell, seeking refuge with Allaah from fitnah (temptation, tribulation), asking for help to understand the Qur’aan in the manner that Allaah is pleased with and to act upon it and memorize it, etc., because it was proven that Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) used to gather his family when he completed the Qur’aan and make du’aa’.

Majmoo’ Fataawa Ibn Baaz, 11/358.

With regard to reciting that over food and distributing it, and doing that when someone dies and on Thursdays, all of that is bid’ah (innovation).

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) has commanded us to adhere to his Sunnah and the way of the Rightly-Guided caliphs, and he has forbidden us to introduce innovations into the religion. He has told us that this is misguidance, and that bid’ahs will be rejected and thrown back at the one who does them, and he will not be rewarded for them.

Abu Dawood (4607) narrated from al-‘Irbaad ibn Saariyah that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever among you lives after I am gone will see great differences. I urge you to adhere to my Sunnah and the way of the Rightly-Guided caliphs. Adhere to it and cling firmly to it. And beware of newly-innovated matters, for every newly-innovated matter is a bid’ah, and every bid’ah is a going-astray.” Classed as saheeh in Saheeh Abi Dawood, 3851.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever does any action that is not in accordance with this matter of ours (Islam) will have it rejected.” Narrated by Muslim, 1718.

And Allaah knows best.
        Islam Q&A
        "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet :saw: said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

[Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

Comment

^ would helping out my dad give the food from house to house also make me guilty?

Comment

If in a ‘khatam’ people read the Quran and send blessing upon the Prophet (peace and blessing be upon Him) what is wrong with that? Is reading the Quran wrong? Is send blessing upon the Prophet (peace and blessing be upon Him)?

Comment

Reciting holy words over food and water is a hindu religious custom and this is where it is derived from.

Visit: www.muslim-mums.co.uk

Comment

i read somewhere n i think it was narrated by anas bin malik.. something about that there were 10 or maybe 70 sahaba.. n prophet muhammad :saw: recited over food and all sahaba ate to their fill... ????

Comment

don't do khatams

individual ibaadah all the way
                  The enforcement of Muslim Brotherhood is the greatest social ideal of Islam. On it was based the Prophet's (SAW) sermon on his last pilgrimage, and Islam cannot be completely realized until this ideal is achieved. '
                  (Shaikh Maulana Muhammad Yusuf)
                  In Lam Takun Ghaadiban Annee Falaa Ubaalee...

Comment

Originally posted by AvenueToPeace View Post
                    n prophet muhammad :saw: recited over food and all sahaba ate to their fill... ????
                    you might refering to "bismillah" =)
                    Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) is also reported to have said: “He who is very hasty and so bold as to pass verdicts is also bold in taking the path towards hell

Comment

Originally posted by al_azhar View Post
                      If in a ‘khatam’ people read the Quran and send blessing upon the Prophet (peace and blessing be upon Him) what is wrong with that? Is reading the Quran wrong? Is send blessing upon the Prophet (peace and blessing be upon Him)?
                      Some people that do khatams think that dead spirits come back to partake in the food, which is obviously not something from Islam (it's probably from hinduism),
                      But I wanted to know if a person doesn't believe that strange stuff and just recites a couple of surahs from Quran and makes duas with food in front of them, would that be a sin? Obviously the common khatam thing is a bidah as some of them believe in that stuff about the dead spirits, but is reciting quran and making duas over the food a bidah (if not give some proof)?

The following lecture was a good lecture and had a bit of info on it, but I don't remember which part of the lecture it was in;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IovWY...CDA6BC8FF41987

Comment

Originally posted by al_azhar View Post
                        If the Prophet didn't do khatams, then obviously we shouldn't, nobody is saying reading Quran etc is wrong, but it depends on the context

e.g. if somebody says that they wanted to recite Quran when they are on the toilet, we would know that is a Bidah and real dumb thing to do, same thing here, I want to know if it is something the Prophet (SAW) or Companions did? If there is no evidence then why should we do that?

I just want to know if there is any evidence for Khatams actually, as I personally couldn't find anything about it?

If there is no daleel for it, then what if someone just recites a couple of surahs from Quran and makes duas with food in front of them, is there any evidence for that?

Thanks in advance bros and sistas

Comment

Originally posted by junaid123 View Post
                          you might refering to "bismillah" =)
                          ALLAHUALAM... i have to find the narration first... but i m sure it was something like they didnt have much to eat other than a bread.. n prophet muhammad :saw: recited over it and 10 or 70 sahaba ate to their fill... ALLAH knows best...

Comment

Originally posted by Hafsah1 View Post

If there is no daleel for it, then what if someone just recites a couple of surahs from Quran and makes duas with food in front of them, is there any evidence for that?

Thanks in advance bros and sistas
                            Why would you feel the need to read with food in front of you, when there is absolutely no benefit behind it? Sister, staying away from such practices will be better insha'Allah.
                            And Allah knows best.

Comment

Originally posted by AvenueToPeace View Post
                              ALLAHUALAM... i have to find the narration first... but i m sure it was something like they didnt have much to eat other than a bread.. n prophet muhammad :saw: recited over it and 10 or 70 sahaba ate to their fill... ALLAH knows best...
                              Thats miracle of prophet(sw), that occured oft if you go through seerah of prophet(sW)
                              Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) is also reported to have said: “He who is very hasty and so bold as to pass verdicts is also bold in taking the path towards hell

Comment

Working...
                              X