Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Qur'an - Best Translation by Abdel Haleem, Buy Now, Special Pre-Release Discount

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Qur'an - Best Translation by Abdel Haleem, Buy Now, Special Pre-Release Discount

Click here to Buy (Hardcover)
    Click here to Buy (Paperback)

Abdel Haleem's translation has been the best so far. It reads very naturally and maintains an integrity to the message that would otherwise only be available to those reading the Qur’an in the original Arabic.

Hardcover - The brilliant bi-lingual edition (with parallel Arabic text) is going to be released on May 13, 2010, Oxford University Press. Special Pre-Release Discount available. Limited period offer

Paperback -
    This is translation with English text only. June 15, 2008, Oxford University Press.

I will be posting the review below...

Re: The Qur'an - Best Translation by Abdel Haleem, Buy Now, Special Pre-Release Disc

Review by Naiyerah Kolkailah

Translation is no easy task, especially when dealing with the words of Allah, the All-Mighty. Many attempts have been made to translate the Qur’an’s meaning into English, starting with Alexander Ross and George Sale in the 16th and 17th centuries.[i] Some endeavors, especially 19th and 20th century ones (i.e. by Rodwell, Bell and Dawood) have done more harm than good by distorting the Qur’an’s meanings, or even the divine sequence of its chapters. Other attempts, such as Pickthall’s, Yusuf Ali’s and even Arthur Arberry’s, try sincerely to convey the intended meanings of the Qur’an. However, even the latter also fall short in some areas, such as the use of archaic language, overbearing commentary or lack of historical contextualization.

One of the more recent twenty-first century attempts to transcend past translations’ shortcomings in clarity, accuracy, and modernity of language comes from M.A.S Abdel Haleem. Abdel Haleem is a Muslim Professor of Islamic Studies at the School of Oriental and African Studies in London, England, and is also the editor of the Journal of Qur’anic Studies. He was born in Egypt, and is a hāfidh who memorized the Qur’an during his childhood. He received a B.A. in Arabic and Islamic Studies from Cairo University and his Ph.D. from the University of Cambridge in the United Kingdom.

Abdel Haleem’s seven-year translation project, The Qur’an, was first published in 2004 by Oxford University Press, with a new edition published in 2005. His introduction to the translation, as well as the translation itself, both reveal that his efforts are aimed at doing faithful justice to the original Arabic, while acknowledging the difficulties of translating the meanings of a sacred text revealed and preserved in the Arabic language. He identifies his goal as “mak[ing] the Qur’an accessible to everyone who speaks English, Muslims or otherwise, including the millions of people all over the world for whom the English language has become a lingua franca.”

Contents and Methodology

Prefacing the actual translation, Abdel Haleem includes an introduction that covers numerous topics, such as the life of Prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم, the spread of Islam, as well as the revelation, compilation, structure and stylistic features of the Qur’an. In addition, he provides an overview of some significant English translations, followed by a brief explanation of his methodology and reasons for embarking on a new translation. He also includes a chronological list of major events in early Islamic history that are relevant to the contents of the Qur’an, the compilation of the Qur’an, and the release of significant translations spanning from Ross’s first translation (1649) to Muhammad Asad’s (1980). Although the introduction resembles an introductory text on Islam and the Qur’an, it helps provide a foundation for the reader to better appreciate the Qur’an’s structure, language and meanings.

One of the important issues Abdel Haleem addresses in the introduction is the order of the verses and topics within the chapters—which even many Muslims find difficult to understand. He states: “The reader should not expect the Qur’an to be arranged chronologically or by subject matter. The Qur’an may present, in the same sura, material about the unity and grace of God, regulations and laws, stories of earlier prophets and nations and the lessons that can be drawn from these, and the descriptions of rewards and punishments on the Day of Judgment.” Using examples such as how prayer reminders appear in the midst of divorce and settlements verses, and how ayat al-kursi (2:255) appears in the midst of charity verses, he notes: “This technique compresses many aspects of the Qur’anic message into any one sura, each forming self-contained lessons. This is particularly useful as it is rare for anyone to read the whole Qur’an at once…”

Clarifications such as these help dispel the suspicions and confusion readers may face when trying to make sense of the structure of the Qur’an. Although Abdel Haleem’s simple explanation does not delve into the thematic and structural coherence of the Qur’an’s verses and chapters (which many Muslim scholars and exegetes have detailed beautifully), it suffices for a novice reader of the Qur’an (Muslim or non-Muslim), or a beginner student learning about Islam and its sacred texts.

Language and References

The language used in this translation is probably one of Abdel Haleem’s greatest accomplishments. Other older translations have used Shakespearean language or direct and literal translations that trap the text in confusing and complicated diction, which hinders the readers from understanding and connecting with Allah’s words. Abdel Haleem, however, uses clear and simplified modern English that makes the text reader-friendly and very easy to follow. He states in his introduction: “The message of the Qur’an was, after all, directly addressed to all people without distinction as to class, gender, or age: it does not rely on archaisms or pompous language for effect. Although the language of the present translation is simple and straightforward, it is hoped that it does not descend to an inappropriate level.”[i]

Abdel Haleem also shies away from literal translations that make idioms and certain phrases sound awkward in English. His chosen methodology is to provide the rendered meaning in English, often with a footnote of the literal translation. An example is his translation of ‘umm al-qura’ (42:7) as ‘capital city,’ with a footnote stating: “Literally, ‘the mother of cities,’ Mecca.”

One notable, linguistic feature of Abdel Haleem’s translation is its consideration for shifts in pronouns that occur sometimes within one verse. These shifts do not translate into English, so his method for clarifying them is to insert bracketed notes of who is being addressed (i.e. the Prophet, all people, etc.). This can be seen in his translation of ayah 10:61: “In whatever matter you [Prophet] may be engaged and whatever part of the Qur’an you are reciting, whatever work you [people] are doing, We witness you when you are engaged in it.”

In addition to his use of modern language and attention to linguistic nuances, Abdel Haleem keeps his translation deeply rooted in the original Arabic meanings and classical exegesis. He cites well-known Arabic dictionaries and classical Arabic works to clarify meanings and explain linguistic differences and idioms. Some of the works and commentaries he relied on are Abu Hayyan’s al-Bahr al-Muhīt, al-Zamakshari’s al-Kashāf and Asās Al-Balāgha, al-Baydawi’s Anwār al-Tanzīl wa Asrār al-Ta’wīl, Qutb’s Fi Dhilāl al-Qur’ān, and one of his most frequently referenced sources, al-Razi’s al-Tafsīr al-Kabīr.

Structure and Punctuation

Abdel Haleem chose an unprecedented way to display his translation. He combines the verses into flowing script (versus placing each verse on a line), and breaks up the text into paragraphs based on shift in topic. His reason for doing so is to “clarify the meaning and structure of thoughts and to meet the expectation of modern readers.” He also numbers the verses using superscripts at the start of each verse and letters his footnotes (also in superscript). This overall format and superscripting provides easier flow in reading and also helps readers find or cite verses more easily. The translation occupies the majority of each page (except for smaller chapters) and footnotes rarely take up more than the lower sixth of the page, which keeps the readers focused on the main text rather than being distracted by detailed and overwhelming commentary.

Another feature of Abdel Haleem’s translation is the addition of punctuation. Although the Qur’an has its own system of marking pauses and continuation in recitation (`ilm al-waqf wa’l-ibtida’), the Qur’an does not have punctuation marks that delineate parenthetical statements, quotations, exclamatory remarks, etc.—which are unnecessary and implied by context (for the most part) for those well-versed in the Arabic language. As one of many efforts to provide clarity to the Qur’an’s meanings, Abdel Haleem has introduced punctuation marks, such as commas, semicolons, dashes, exclamation marks, quotation marks, etc. For example, ayahs 36-37 of Surat Aāli `Imrān read:

‘Imran’s wife said, ‘Lord, I have dedicated what is growing in my womb entirely to You; so accept this from me. You are the One who hears and knows all,’ but when she gave birth, she said, ‘My Lord! I have given birth to a girl’—God knew best what she had given birth to: the male is not like the female—‘I name her Mary and I commend her and her offspring to Your protection from the rejected Satan.’

This punctuation certainly helps readers differentiate between narrative and quotations; however, inserting punctuation without footnoting alternative readings (qirā’āt) or pauses may make the punctuation appear definitive, when in fact it is not. For example, the parenthetical statement above may not include “the male is not like the female,” which would make it a continuation of `Imran’s wife’s statement. Also, the Arabic phrase for ‘she gave birth’ (wada`at) can be read as ‘wada`tu’ (I gave birth) in a different reading. If this part of the verse is read using the second reading (“And Allah knows well what I gave birth to”), it would make this statement a continuation of `Imran’s wife’s statement as well.[i]

Despite his translation’s minor shortcomings, Abdel Haleem has produced what may be considered one of the most genuine and refreshing translations in contemporary times. His most notable success is merging authenticity with originality and transmitting Qur’anic meanings from classical Islamic works in an easily accessible language for both the Muslim and non-Muslim English-speaking populace. May Allah reward him and bless him for his efforts.

Note: this review is only an attempt to expose readers to a relatively new translation that may be unknown to some. Readers may prefer reading other translations that supersede this translation in both language and preservation of the original Qur’anic meanings.

[i] See Tafsir Al-Jalalayn. www.quran.com/3

[i] Some scholars find that the translation is too simplified in some areas, and includes imprecise translations of certain words and phrases. It also omits many Arabic conjunctions (i.e. “wa” [and], “fa” [then]), which detracts from nuanced meanings regarding chronology of events conveyed in the Qur’an.

[i] Abdel Haleem, M.A.S. The Qur’an: A New Translation. New York: Oxford University Press, 2005. p. xxvii.

Comment

Re: The Qur'an - Best Translation by Abdel Haleem, Buy Now, Special Pre-Release Disc

Originally posted by sfajmal2004 View Post
      .....Abdel Haleem's translation .......... maintains an integrity to the message that would otherwise only be available to those reading the Qur’an in the original Arabic...........
      Though translation is necessary as it is one of the ways in which those lacking knowledge of Arabic can share the message of the Qur'an, none of the translations, however accurate they may be, can ever hope to imitate the diction or the style of the Book of Allah.
      Worship only the CREATOR, HE is One and HE is the SUSTAINER of the Universe. Do not worship any of HIS creations nor through HIS creations

Comment

Originally posted by sfajmal2004 View Post
        ...... Other attempts, such as ........, Yusuf Ali’s ..........., try sincerely to convey the intended meanings of the Qur’an. However, even the latter also fall short in some areas, such as
        1. the use of archaic language,
        2. overbearing commentary or
        3. lack of historical contextualization.
        Kindly cite examkples to prove your charges. Kindly make reference to Yusuf Ali’s translation which has been revised and edited by The Presidency of Islamic Researches, IFTA, Call and Guidance and is available free of cost.
        Worship only the CREATOR, HE is One and HE is the SUSTAINER of the Universe. Do not worship any of HIS creations nor through HIS creations

Comment

This is a really good translation, very easy to read in English :up:
          .: Rufaida :.
          .:Fa Firroo Ila-llaah:.
          http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...th_Silence.jpg
          “People praise you for what they suppose is in you,
          but you must blame your soul for what you know is in you.”
          ~ Ibn Atallah

Ramadan Activities for Children
          <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

Originally posted by .: Anna :. View Post
            Thats your view point as a reder. But a scholarly comment making reference to Yusuf Ali’s translation (which has been revised and edited by The Presidency of Islamic Researches, IFTA, Call and Guidance and is available free of cost) that it lacks historical contextualization is a blatant lie. Either the person who has made that comment has not read that translation or is deliberately trying to commercialize the issue..

Comment

I duno about the historical context issue but the comments about this one being in a much more accessible language are very true
              anyway people shouldn't be soo attached 2 one specific translation imo, but personally i like this prof abdelhaleem one if i was 2 use ne
              .: Rufaida :.
              .:Fa Firroo Ila-llaah:.
              http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...th_Silence.jpg
              “People praise you for what they suppose is in you,
              but you must blame your soul for what you know is in you.”
              ~ Ibn Atallah

Ramadan Activities for Children
              <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

Originally posted by aboosait View Post
                Thats your view point as a reder. But a scholarly comment making reference to Yusuf Ali’s translation (which has been revised and edited by The Presidency of Islamic Researches, IFTA, Call and Guidance and is available free of cost) that it lacks historical contextualization is a blatant lie. Either the person who has made that comment has not read that translation or is deliberately trying to commercialize the issue..
                Assalaamu alaikum,

I think your taking the comment a little out of context, Allahu alam.
                ربنا واجعلنا مسلمين لك ومن ذريتنا أمة مسلمة لك وأرنا مناسكنا وتب علينا إنك أنت التواب الرحيم

Our Lord, make us Muslims submitted to You, and our descendants a Muslim community submitted to You. Show us our rites of worship and turn towards us. You are the Ever-Returning, the Most Merciful. [2: 128]

http://livingthemuslimlife.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by .: Anna :. View Post
                  For English I've loved Pickthall and always used it (I love the 'old' English style) but I will definately be buying this one too inshaAllah, as I've heard it's a good translation walhamdulillah.

Jazakallahu khayran OP!
                  ربنا واجعلنا مسلمين لك ومن ذريتنا أمة مسلمة لك وأرنا مناسكنا وتب علينا إنك أنت التواب الرحيم

Our Lord, make us Muslims submitted to You, and our descendants a Muslim community submitted to You. Show us our rites of worship and turn towards us. You are the Ever-Returning, the Most Merciful. [2: 128]

http://livingthemuslimlife.wordpress.com/

Comment

IA:

I have read the translation at great length. It is very good but he favors some unorthodox interpretations, in large part because he relies on the Tafsir of al-Razi, and because he has clear modernist tendencies.

From his translations of the verses to due with Ahl al-Kitab, it seems he does not consider them to be Kuffar. He also has issues with divorce being in the hands of the man.

Comment

Re: The Qur'an - Best English Translation by Abdel Haleem

As the publisher is Oxford University Press, so it is very difficult to breach copyright restrictions and create pdf version of it. But still, it is available for online reading:

Online Quran Project (OQP)

Comment

Originally posted by aboosait View Post
                        Kindly cite examkples to prove your charges. Kindly make reference to Yusuf Ali’s translation which has been revised and edited by The Presidency of Islamic Researches, IFTA, Call and Guidance and is available free of cost.
                        I have major issues with a lot of the tafsir that Yusuf Ali used. When I read it, I was scratching my head in a lot of places. Lots of unorthodox stuff and relies heavily on Tamludic and Biblical Scholars.
                        Remove matzo

Comment

Originally posted by Basil al-Mamluk View Post
                          ............. tafsir...... Yusuf Ali used. When I read it, ..........
                          Which edition? Please comment on the revised edition printed and distributed free.

Comment

this is my favorite translation. very easy to read and have a nice flow....like a story book.
                            I bear witness that there is none worthy of worship except Allah, the One, without any partner. And I bear witness that Muhammad is His servant and His Messenger.

The smart one isn't the one who wins arguments, rather is the one who avoids getting into them in the first place.

Comment

sallam

doesnt it say something in the Quran about selling the words of Allah for a miserable price?

walaykum sallam

Comment

Working...
                              X