X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Civilized!!

Alleged top al-Qaida figure pleads guilty to maiming guard

By LARRY NEUMEISTER, Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK - A man accused of directing major terrorism missions as part of Osama bin Laden's inner circle pleaded guilty Wednesday to maiming a prison guard by stabbing him in the eye.

Mamdouh Mahmud Salim, 45, entered the plea to conspiracy to murder and attempted murder in a heavily guarded Manhattan courtroom just a week before he was scheduled to go on trial in the Nov. 1, 2000 stabbing of the guard, Louis Pepe.

"I agreed with another person to murder Officer Pepe," Salim told U.S. District Judge Deborah A. Batts of the attack that left Pepe permanently brain damaged. "I stabbed Officer Pepe by a sharpened comb in his left eye."

Batts set sentencing for Aug. 5, when Salim could face up to life in prison plus 20 years.

His lawyer, Richard Lind, said the plea agreement would allow Salim to serve as little as 18 years in prison, though he seemed skeptical that would result.

Prosecutors had argued in court papers that Salim stabbed Pepe as part of a wider plot to take hostages and win the release of other prisoners at the Metropolitan Correctional Center, adjacent to the federal courthouse.

The stabbing occurred as Salim and four other men awaited trial on conspiracy charges in the August 1998 bombings of two U.S. embassies in Africa. Counting people who died of injuries later, the attacks killed 231 people, including 12 Americans. Salim must still face trial in that case, though no date has been set.

Prosecutors have said that Salim was aided in the assault by Khalfan Khamis Mohamed, who was convicted in the embassy bombings trial.

Salim, who has been in custody since September 1998, is believed to be the highest ranking al-Qaida member to be held in the United States. An indictment said he was on the group's majlis al shura, or consultation council, which approved major undertakings, including terrorist operations.

After the attack on Pepe, the Sudanese-born Salim complained of harsh treatment from jailhouse guards and appeared in such distress at a recent court appearance that the judge asked guards to loosen his shackles.

On Wednesday, Salim's handcuffs and shackles were taken off and he appeared relaxed, though four U.S. marshals stood over him as he used a pen to sign some documents.

Batts closed the court to the public when Salim described the crime because she said she didn't want his statement to prejudice a potential jury if the plea was rejected. She reopened the courtroom afterward, and a transcript of the closed portion was later released.

Prosecutors have portrayed Salim as one of bin Laden's most loyal followers. They say that Salim, while running front companies for al-Qaida that purchased weaponry, once tried to buy uranium to build a nuclear bomb.

Salim was arrested in Germany in September 1998, the month after the embassy bombings. He was extradited to the United States three months later. Before that, he had opened several bank accounts in Germany, where investigators suspect three of the Sept. 11 suicide hijackers were recruited and financed by a terrorist cell.
    Please Re-update your Signature

http://www.rense.com/general21/tal.htm

Comment

Originally posted by johnwalker
      http://www.rense.com/general21/tal.htm
      Who flew those planes into the the buildings? It wasn't the jews.

THINK JR.Walker THINK!!

Comment

YOU HAVE MOTIVATED OTHERS THROUGHOUT HISTORY TO ABUSE YOUR KIND.

Comment

Even we have terrible and bloody conflict with Israel who supposed to be the state of Jews, I do believe that Jews like other communities and religions: there are good and bad. I do not agree to generalise against any community including Jews.

Comment

Re: How Civilized!!

Originally posted by Stanley Levin
            "I stabbed Officer Pepe by a sharpened comb in his left eye."

[/B]
            I think it's a shame he only got the eye, :D

Comment

And I think it's a shame that Salim didn't get the needle.

Comment

Muslim Youth is another loud mouth that talks a good Jihad but you notice he is sitting comfortably in the UK attending University instead of fighting the Kaffir.

Comment

Amused lol that he is a She lol, and well if you were shackled by ure enemy who if they had the chance would sentence you to an instant death, what would you do, go along with their everyword, like a loving pet animal who obeys his masters every command. Use ure head please !

Comment

Thank you Fresh, for once you did something good.

Comment

Hell, every convict sees jail and prison guards as an enemy. Should all convicts attack the guards, or just Muslim convicts?

Comment

Let me ask ypou a question, would you attack your guard? If they had you shackled and kept in condition more fit for a battery farm hen? Then my answer would be yes i would !

Comment

Originally posted by F R E S H
                          Let me ask ypou a question, would you attack your guard? If they had you shackled and kept in condition more fit for a battery farm hen? Then my answer would be yes i would !
                          If these were the conditions that I were placed under then yes....I agree with you. But have you ever even visited a US prison? Didn't think so. Cable TV, fully stocked library, three meals per day, recreation yard, other various activities. Doesn't quite meet those "standards" you set now, does it?

Comment

I would rather have both sides of the story. What provoked "salim" to do this? Let's face it, not all prison guards are purer than the snow!

Comment

shackled, open to the elements, treated like dirt do, like i said it is apersonal choice

Comment

Working...
                              X