Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is it haraam to dye your hair black.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Why is it haraam to dye your hair black.

    I wanted to dye my hair black, but I heard is haraam apprently. How come?

    #2
    Re: Why is it haraam to dye your hair black.

    As far as I know, it is makruh for the old people with very white hair.
    No problem with youngers (if I am not wrong).
    Ex Oriente Lux

    Comment


      #3
      Re: Why is it haraam to dye your hair black.

      Ruling on dyeing hair black

      Comment


        #4
        Re: Why is it haraam to dye your hair black.

        But what if your natural hair color is almost black? :(
        Ex Oriente Lux

        Comment


          #5
          Re: Why is it haraam to dye your hair black.

          Yes, the dying of your hair black is haraam. This is because it makes you look young again and you're fooling people. Even if your natural hair colout is black, your hair cannot be dyed black at all. Hope this helps.

          Comment


            #6
            Re: Why is it haraam to dye your hair black.

            Originally posted by CoolKid View Post
            Yes, the dying of your hair black is haraam. This is because it makes you look young again and you're fooling people. Even if your natural hair colout is black, your hair cannot be dyed black at all. Hope this helps.
            There must be another reason than making you look young because people with brown hair can use brown to make them look young, people with blonde hair can use blonde colour to make them look young. It is a little unfair that people with black hair cannot use black. So there must be another reason why black cannot be used.
            ...

            Comment


              #7
              ÑÏ : Re: Why is it haraam to dye your hair black.

              why would any muslim use the term "its a little unfair", regarding anything of the sunnah?

              whether its men about wearing gold, silk, dyeing their hair black or anything else in islam?

              or women complaining about staying home, wearing hijab, not intermingling, or anything else in islam?

              how can a muslim ever say anything from ArRahman and rahmatul alameen is unfair?

              fear Allah
              .لا نريد زعيما يخاف البيت الإبيض
              نريد زعيما يخاف الواحد الأحد
              دولة الإسلامية باقية





              Comment


                #8
                Re: ÑÏ : Re: Why is it haraam to dye your hair black.

                deleted
                Tajweed lessons: RSS Feed

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: ÑÏ : Re: Why is it haraam to dye your hair black.

                  Originally posted by AbuMubarak View Post
                  why would any muslim use the term "its a little unfair", regarding anything of the sunnah?

                  whether its men about wearing gold, silk, dyeing their hair black or anything else in islam?

                  or women complaining about staying home, wearing hijab, not intermingling, or anything else in islam?

                  how can a muslim ever say anything from ArRahman and rahmatul alameen is unfair?

                  fear Allah
                  Why is it ok for a brunette haired person to use brunette hair colour to hide grays, but not ok for a black haired person to use black to hide grays? Both are doing it to look younger. By the way, I don't colour my hair at all.
                  ...

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: Why is it haraam to dye your hair black.

                    http://www.daruliftaa.com/question.a...nID=q-18494655

                    It is permissible, rather recommended (mandub) to dye the hair of the head (and beard for men) provided the ingredients used in the hair dye are Halal.

                    Sayyiduna Abu Huraira (Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: “Change the old age (white/grey hair), and do not imitate the Jews.” (Sunan Tirmidhi, no.1752 & Sunan Nasa’i)

                    The Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) also stated:

                    “The best dye to change your old age is Henna (a red plant dye) and Katm (type of grass).” (Sunan Tirmidhi, no. 1753 & others)

                    There is a difference of opinion among the scholars on whether the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) himself dyed his hair. However Sayyiduna Abu Bakr and Sayyiduna Umar ibn al-Khattab (Allah be pleased with them both) did dye the hair of their head and beard, thus it will be classed as recommended (mandub), if not Sunnah.

                    The great Hanafi Imam, Ala’ al-Din al-Haskafi states in his Durr al-Mukhtar:

                    “It is recommended for men to dye their hair (of the head) and beard, even outside war.” (Durr al-Mukhtar, 5: 271)

                    It is stated in the famous Hanafi Fiqh reference book al-Fatawa al-Hindiyyah:

                    “The scholars have all unanimously agreed that it is a Sunnah for men to dye the hair of their head and beard with red colour. It is also considered a sign of Muslims.” (5/329)

                    Pure black dye

                    The foregoing explanation was regarding using dye other than the colour of black. The ruling on using pure black hair dye will defer according to the reason one uses it for.

                    1) If a warrior (mujahid) used black hair dye in order to put awe and fear into the hearts and minds of the enemy, then all the scholars agree that it is permissible. (al-Fatawa al-Hindiyya, 5/329)

                    2) To use pure black dye in order to deceive somebody, e.g. a prospective fiancé or in order to get a job, etc, then this (according to all) is impermissible.

                    Sayyiduna Abd Allah ibn Mas’ud (Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah said: “Whosoever deceives us is not from us.” (Sahih ibn Hibban)

                    3) The third situation is when pure black dye is used for adornment, meaning the husband or the wife uses it in order to please the spouse. The scholars have differed with regards to the ruling in such a case.

                    Many Hanafi jurists (fuqaha) have said that to use pure black dye is not permissible, even for the purpose of adornment.

                    The Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said:

                    “There will be people who will come later (in my Ummah) and apply black dye. They will not even smell the fragrance of paradise.” (Sunan Abu Dawud, 2/578)

                    In another Hadith the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: “…Abstain from using black dye.” (Sahih Muslim)

                    However other scholars including the great Hanafi jurist and student of Imam Abu Hanifa, Imam Abu Yusuf (Allah have mercy on him) permitted the using of black dye for adornment, especially the wife, to adorn herself for her husband. It has also been narrated from some of the companions such as: Sayyiduna Uthman, Sayyiduna Hasan, Sayyiduna Husain & others (Allah be pleased with them all) that they used black colour dye.

                    Imam Abu Yusuf also permitted it for men in order to adorn themselves for their wives. His words are:

                    “As I desire my wife to adorn herself for me, she also desires that I adorn myself for her.” (Radd al-Muhtar)

                    Imam al-Haskafi states in Durr al-Mukhtar:

                    “It is recommended for men to dye their hair and beard, even outside war according to the sounder opinion. The sounder opinion is that the Prophet (blessings and peace be upon him) did not do it. It is disliked with black, though some said it is not.” (See: Radd al-Muhtar ala al-Durr al-Mukhtar)

                    My respected teacher, Shaykh Mufti Taqi Usmani (may Allah preserve him) says:

                    “The final word regarding the using of black dye is that, it will not be considered unlawful (haram), although disliked (makruh). The prohibition in the Hadith will be explained as in when one uses it to deceive others.” (Taqrir Tirmidhi, 2/354)

                    It should also be remembered here that the above discussion is when the dye is pure black. However, if it is not pure, rather it is dark or black-inclined; it would be permissible to apply it.
                    Also, the dying of hair will not affect the validity of ablutions (wudu) or obligatory bath (ghusl), because the coating is not considered a perceptible barrier.

                    In conclusion, it is recommended to dye the hair (for men and women) with other than pure black colour. To use pure black dye in order to deceive others is unlawful (haram), and totally permissible for a Mujahid engaged in Jihad. As far as using it for adornment purposes,
                    it will be disliked.

                    And Allah Knows Best




                    Muhammad ibn Adam
                    Darul Iftaa
                    Leicester , UK

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: Why is it haraam to dye your hair black.

                      Originally posted by AHMED BHAI View Post
                      http://www.daruliftaa.com/question.a...nID=q-18494655

                      It is permissible, rather recommended (mandub) to dye the hair of the head (and beard for men) provided the ingredients used in the hair dye are Halal.

                      Sayyiduna Abu Huraira (Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: “Change the old age (white/grey hair), and do not imitate the Jews.” (Sunan Tirmidhi, no.1752 & Sunan Nasa’i)

                      The Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) also stated:

                      “The best dye to change your old age is Henna (a red plant dye) and Katm (type of grass).” (Sunan Tirmidhi, no. 1753 & others)

                      There is a difference of opinion among the scholars on whether the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) himself dyed his hair. However Sayyiduna Abu Bakr and Sayyiduna Umar ibn al-Khattab (Allah be pleased with them both) did dye the hair of their head and beard, thus it will be classed as recommended (mandub), if not Sunnah.

                      The great Hanafi Imam, Ala’ al-Din al-Haskafi states in his Durr al-Mukhtar:

                      “It is recommended for men to dye their hair (of the head) and beard, even outside war.” (Durr al-Mukhtar, 5: 271)

                      It is stated in the famous Hanafi Fiqh reference book al-Fatawa al-Hindiyyah:

                      “The scholars have all unanimously agreed that it is a Sunnah for men to dye the hair of their head and beard with red colour. It is also considered a sign of Muslims.” (5/329)

                      Pure black dye

                      The foregoing explanation was regarding using dye other than the colour of black. The ruling on using pure black hair dye will defer according to the reason one uses it for.

                      1) If a warrior (mujahid) used black hair dye in order to put awe and fear into the hearts and minds of the enemy, then all the scholars agree that it is permissible. (al-Fatawa al-Hindiyya, 5/329)

                      2) To use pure black dye in order to deceive somebody, e.g. a prospective fiancé or in order to get a job, etc, then this (according to all) is impermissible.

                      Sayyiduna Abd Allah ibn Mas’ud (Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah said: “Whosoever deceives us is not from us.” (Sahih ibn Hibban)

                      3) The third situation is when pure black dye is used for adornment, meaning the husband or the wife uses it in order to please the spouse. The scholars have differed with regards to the ruling in such a case.

                      Many Hanafi jurists (fuqaha) have said that to use pure black dye is not permissible, even for the purpose of adornment.

                      The Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said:

                      “There will be people who will come later (in my Ummah) and apply black dye. They will not even smell the fragrance of paradise.” (Sunan Abu Dawud, 2/578)

                      In another Hadith the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: “…Abstain from using black dye.” (Sahih Muslim)

                      However other scholars including the great Hanafi jurist and student of Imam Abu Hanifa, Imam Abu Yusuf (Allah have mercy on him) permitted the using of black dye for adornment, especially the wife, to adorn herself for her husband. It has also been narrated from some of the companions such as: Sayyiduna Uthman, Sayyiduna Hasan, Sayyiduna Husain & others (Allah be pleased with them all) that they used black colour dye.

                      Imam Abu Yusuf also permitted it for men in order to adorn themselves for their wives. His words are:

                      “As I desire my wife to adorn herself for me, she also desires that I adorn myself for her.” (Radd al-Muhtar)

                      Imam al-Haskafi states in Durr al-Mukhtar:

                      “It is recommended for men to dye their hair and beard, even outside war according to the sounder opinion. The sounder opinion is that the Prophet (blessings and peace be upon him) did not do it. It is disliked with black, though some said it is not.” (See: Radd al-Muhtar ala al-Durr al-Mukhtar)

                      My respected teacher, Shaykh Mufti Taqi Usmani (may Allah preserve him) says:

                      “The final word regarding the using of black dye is that, it will not be considered unlawful (haram), although disliked (makruh). The prohibition in the Hadith will be explained as in when one uses it to deceive others.” (Taqrir Tirmidhi, 2/354)

                      It should also be remembered here that the above discussion is when the dye is pure black. However, if it is not pure, rather it is dark or black-inclined; it would be permissible to apply it.
                      Also, the dying of hair will not affect the validity of ablutions (wudu) or obligatory bath (ghusl), because the coating is not considered a perceptible barrier.

                      In conclusion, it is recommended to dye the hair (for men and women) with other than pure black colour. To use pure black dye in order to deceive others is unlawful (haram), and totally permissible for a Mujahid engaged in Jihad. As far as using it for adornment purposes,
                      it will be disliked.

                      And Allah Knows Best




                      Muhammad ibn Adam
                      Darul Iftaa
                      Leicester , UK
                      So it's ok for an old white haired Caucasian to dye his hair blonde (the original hair colour of his youth) to deceive a potential spouse?

                      But it's not ok for an old white haired Asian to dye his hair black (the original hair colour of his youth) to deceive a potential spouse?
                      ...

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: Why is it haraam to dye your hair black.

                        Originally posted by nami View Post
                        So it's ok for an old white haired Caucasian to dye his hair blonde (the original hair colour of his youth) to deceive a potential spouse?

                        But it's not ok for an old white haired Asian to dye his hair black (the original hair colour of his youth) to deceive a potential spouse?
                        :sub:

                        are you implying that Allah(swt) and His Prophet(pbuh) are racist?

                        isn't "the prophet(pbuh) said: ...." not sufficient for you?
                        وَأَن لَّيْسَ لِلإِنسَـنِ إِلاَّ مَا سَعَى

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Re: Why is it haraam to dye your hair black.

                          Originally posted by Salahudin View Post
                          :sub:

                          are you implying that Allah(swt) and the Prophet(pbuh) are racist?

                          i would assume that "the prophet(pbuh) said: ...." is not sufficient for you?
                          No, If you re-read that fatwa, it says that a person with black hair tried to deceive someone by colouring his hair black. The prophet (pbuh) did not like that, fair enough, i have no problem with that, why would I? But why is it ok to dye your hair blonde to deceive a potential spouse?

                          I understand that in those days in saudi, most people had black hair, but now that islam is international, not everyone has black hair.

                          As time goes on, scholars normally, "update" their fatwas to take more people into account. It seems that this fatwa has not been updated yet.

                          Imagin person 1 has black hair, and person 2 has blonde hair. Person one does haraam for colouring his hair black to look young, but person 2 gets no sin for colouring his hair blonde. Shouldn't it be that both are sinning, but trying to look young to deceive a potential souse by colouring their hair their original colour?
                          Last edited by nami; 27-07-09, 11:07 AM.
                          ...

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Re: Why is it haraam to dye your hair black.

                            brother your looking for a problem that isn't there.

                            if you dye your hair any color to deceive people it is haraam! period!
                            وَأَن لَّيْسَ لِلإِنسَـنِ إِلاَّ مَا سَعَى

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Re: Why is it haraam to dye your hair black.

                              Originally posted by Salahudin View Post
                              brother your looking for a problem that isn't there.

                              if you dye your hair any color to deceive people it is haraam! period!
                              Exactly, that is the point I am trying to make!

                              Is it that the colour black is haraam for hair colour, or is it that if you colour your hair to deceive, it is haraam?

                              In that case, if I have black hair and I dye it very dark brown. Will I not look younger?
                              ...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X