Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uk masjid finder - salafi, sufi etc?

http://mosques.muslimsinbritain.org/maps.php

is this thing accurate? like when it says this mosque is salafi, sufi, shia or whatever?
    Patience...

Re: uk masjid finder - salafi, sufi etc?

There is something I don't like about that site...

Why are they telling us if they are Indian or Pakistan,etc management.

Comment

Originally posted by Shedy View Post
      There is something I don't like about that site...

Why are they telling us if they are Indian or Pakistan,etc management.
      i know, management doesnt matter we are all brothers and sisters!
      Patience...

Comment

Just ring up the masjid's and check if they are salafi etc.

Visit: www.muslim-mums.co.uk

Comment

:salams

I could have done without seeing that.

What a mess we create for ourselves.
          Ya Muqallib al-Quloob, thabbit qalbi 'alaa Deenik
          O' Converter of Hearts, make my heart steadfast upon Thy Way
          We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Rouz View Post
            i know, management doesnt matter we are all brothers and sisters!
            I agree, I am quite insulted by this..

It does not matter if management is black/white/pakistani/indian/etc
            we are all brothers and sisters!

what is "Arabic mainstream" is the list?? are they trying to tell us which mosque is arab??

Comment

There's a huge masjid on the corner of Conduit Street and Swain Street which they appear to have overlooked.
              The following statement is completely true

The previous statement is totally false

:D

Comment

As-salaam alaykum, Jazakallah for your comments.
                Muhammad2 - I did mark it, using the postcode co-ordinates, but thank you, I have now moved the marker to the dome. It should be updated in a couple of days, I have a dozen other updates to research first.
                Shedy - not really anything to be insulted about, just a reflection of reality. I would love to agree with you - if you read my writings on the website and elsewhere, you will see that I sympathise. Perhaps it would be better to write "It should not matter ..." Unfortunately the overwhelming majority of masaajid have been set up along ethnic as well as sectarian lines. One of the purposes of gathering and publishing such data is to help people who don't really understand the community well, just how rife the problem is. In my more advanced work on extremism I demonstrate with numerous cases how these factors exclude young Muslims (who often resent such attitudes) and converts/reverts, from participation at anything other than the most basic level. Among such excluded people are some who then turn to alternatives, and some of <i>them</i> who then turn to terrorism (most of the significant terrorism cases in recent years have included at least one convert). As a convert myself for the last 26 years, I am determined to change this situation, InshaAllah.

"Arabic mainstream" and all the other terms are defined in the page of notes that accompanies the Google map. It refers to those masaajid that follow a broadly speaking traditional, orthodox Sunni, madhaab-based practice emanating from an Arab or African region. This describes the Sunni Yemeni communities in Sheffield and Cardiff, the West African ones in Southwark, and a few places like Regents Park and Aclam Road in London. By contrast the small number of Maghrebi-run masaajid follow a fusion of Maliki and Salafi madhaabs.

Shedy again, "Why are they telling us if they are Indian or Pakistan,etc management. " Same point again really, but it helps people to understand what to expect - styles are quite different. Incidentally my usual masjid has enshrined in its constitution that office bearers <u>must</u> have been born in Sylhet! In my notes I half-heartedly proposed a diversity index - your masjid gets one point for each ethncity represented on the management committee. I doubt if you will find many masaajid that can score higher than 1. Not a pleasant fact, I agree, but one that should not be hidden if we are to get a grip on our problems.

Rouz - "is this thing accurate?" It's up to you to help make it accurate. I have spent hundreds of hours getting it as accurate as I can. I have visited hundreds of masaajid myself over the last 26 years, but situations change. Most of the masjid lists published in print or on the web are very inaccurate, some continue to publish data that has been wrong for 30 years and few have any kind of quality check. I hope InshaAllah this site will stimulate others to provide better and more accurate information. I will always try to respond swiftly to apply corrections and new information - you just have to provide it! salaams, duahs and the sabr of Ramadhaan, Mehmood.

Comment

How do we report new masaajid? There's a new one opened up on Haynes Road, Leicester, Masjid Abu Hurairah. Address: 9 Haynes Road, off Uppingham Road. Tel: 07533905242.

Sorry, don't have anymore info
                  How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck couldn't chuck wood? :banbear:

Comment

Originally posted by Irfan GBH View Post
                    How do we report new masaajid? There's a new one opened up on Haynes Road, Leicester, Masjid Abu Hurairah. Address: 9 Haynes Road, off Uppingham Road. Tel: 07533905242.

Sorry, don't have anymore info
                    could i ask why a new masjid was put here? masjid Ali and masjid at Taqwa are both within 5-10 minutes walking distance.
                    Daw'ud... is retired from ummah forum

Comment

Fun? :confused:
                      The following statement is completely true

The previous statement is totally false

:D

Comment

Originally posted by dawud_uk View Post
                        could i ask why a new masjid was put here? masjid Ali and masjid at Taqwa are both within 5-10 minutes walking distance.
                        I think its a blessing to have loads of mosque in the area. When you go to muslim countries, there are mosque on every street. There maybe an ideological difference between the mosque or there is a over flow of musalis in the area

Comment

Originally posted by dawud_uk View Post
                          Maybe they aren't big enough? Never been to Ali, but taqwa was always packed and alot of people couldn't even get inside on fridays.

And Brother Mehmoud: Perhaps you could change "Arabic Mainstream" to "Other Sunni" as that would be a more accurate description?
                          How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck couldn't chuck wood? :banbear:

Comment

Working...
                          X