Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How old is the Earth?

Asalaam Alikum

I've always wondered about this question.

What does Islam tell us about the age of the earth? We are told by Scientists that Dinosaurs lived millions of years ago.............but thats the scientists saying that, what does Islam teach us about the planet, how long Himans have been here etc etc.

I am asking this because I have often thought about it and often wonder what reply I could give them if a non-believer were to ask me the same thing..............

Re: How old is the Earth?

A quick search found me this (I cannot state any evidence to back this up, though.):

Q. According to Islamic beliefs, how old is the Earth?
    From Huda,

This frequently-asked question appeared in the Islam Forum: How old is the Earth?

A. Islam does not have a set position on the actual age of the Earth, leaving such knowledge to God alone. The Qur'an does describe the creation of the universe in "six days," but then in other passages indicates that a "day" to us is different than a "day" in God's reckoning of time. (How is a "day" counted anyway, before the sun and earth even existed as they do now?) Basically there is a description of different "phases" that creation went through. Nobody knows the precise period of time and I personally don't find anything wrong with scientific theories about it.

http://islam.about.com/od/creation/f/earth_age.htm

~ Umar bin Al-Khattab (RA)

Comment

Originally posted by Astraeus View Post

Q. According to Islamic beliefs, how old is the Earth?
      From Huda,

This frequently-asked question appeared in the Islam Forum: How old is the Earth?

A. Islam does not have a set position on the actual age of the Earth, leaving such knowledge to God alone. The Qur'an does describe the creation of the universe in "six days," but then in other passages indicates that a "day" to us is different than a "day" in God's reckoning of time. (How is a "day" counted anyway, before the sun and earth even existed as they do now?) Basically there is a description of different "phases" that creation went through. Nobody knows the precise period of time and I personally don't find anything wrong with scientific theories about it.

http://islam.about.com/od/creation/f/earth_age.htm
      Mmmmmm interesting Bro, thanks for that :up:

Comment

^^

Im curious, how does Allah have "God days exactly"? I mean a day is one revolution of our planet, so what exactly is a God day?

Comment

Originally posted by Isambard View Post
          ^^

Im curious, how does Allah have "God days exactly"? I mean a day is one revolution of our planet, so what exactly is a God day?
          This is not an answer but a comment.............

An american rapper has a song called "A Day to God is a thousand Years".............

Where has he got that info from?

Comment

Originally posted by Ibrahim70 View Post
            This is not an answer but a comment.............

An american rapper has a song called "A Day to God is a thousand Years".............

Where has he got that info from?
            The word is "yawm" and it can mean day or a period of time. You pretty much tell through context. i.e. Yawm al-Qiyama is a "day" but not as in revolution of the earth.
            "The Jew cries out as he strikes you."

Remove matzo

Comment

Originally posted by Basil al-Mamluk View Post
              The word is "yawm" and it can mean day or a period of time. You pretty much tell through context. i.e. Yawm al-Qiyama is a "day" but not as in revolution of the earth.
              Could you expand on that?

Comment

Originally posted by Isambard View Post
                Could you expand on that?
                Yawm just means period of time, there is no adequate translation for it to English. A week is broken into 7 periods of time, or 7 yawm; it all has to do with context. An Arabic speaker may be able to expound more on this than I can.
                "The Jew cries out as he strikes you."

Remove matzo

Comment

What does Islam tell us about the age of the earth? We are told by Scientists that Dinosaurs lived millions of years ago.............but thats the scientists saying that, what does Islam teach us about the planet, how long Himans have been here etc etc.

For what reason do you not trust scientists?

Comment

Originally posted by Sultan View Post
                    And why can't scientists answers be trusted?
                    First and foremost I a Muslim, a slave of Allah, so I would like to first know what the Creator of this Earth has said about this subject, not the creation.............

Comment

Originally posted by Basil al-Mamluk View Post
                      Yawm just means period of time, there is no adequate translation for it to English. A week is broken into 7 periods of time, or 7 yawm; it all has to do with context. An Arabic speaker may be able to expound more on this than I can.
                      I guess interpreted that way it makes sense. What Id still be confused about however is that if we used this translation, how does a "day" (period of time) differ from a God "day" (period of time). Still seems a bit off.

Comment

Interesting subject Ibrahim bro :up:
                        When you were born you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die, you're the one smiling and everyone around you is crying...

Man's way leads to a hopeless end...Allah's way leads to an endless hope

Comment

First and foremost I a Muslim, a slave of Allah, so I would like to first know what the Creator of this Earth has said about this subject, not the creation.............
                          Wouldnt that be a bit...circular?

Comment

Do you not agree that the laws of physics were created by Allah (SWT), and through these laws we can find the answer to such questions?

Comment

Originally posted by Sultan View Post
                              Do you not agree that the laws of physics were created by Allah (SWT), and through these laws we can find the answer to such questions?
                              Yes, that is a valid statement Brother, but we also have to realise the people have their own agendas so ones scientists opinion could differ from another, but inshallah in Islam we have no differing opinions on this subject.

Or do we?

I dont know, thats why I have posed the question :)

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X