JUSTICE for 400 Million MUSLIMS in India

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: JUSTICE for 400 Million MUSLIMS in India

Muslim leadership concerned over pattern of investigation into Jaipur bombings

Posted May 18th, 2008 by Tarique Anwar

By Mumtaz Alam Falahi, TwoCircles.net,
    New Delhi: As apprehended, the investigation into the Jaipur bombings is going on the same past line adopted by intelligence agencies: accusing Muslim organizations, arresting Muslim youths and thus tarnishing the image of Islam and Muslims.
    Five days after the serial blasts that claimed 80 lives (both Hindus and Muslims), the investigating agencies are clueless about the real culprits but what has become common knowledge is the involvement of Muslims, thanks to police and media trials. This attitude of intelligence and investigating agencies has not only proved apprehensions of Muslim leaders true but has them sit finger-crossed.
    How is Muslim leadership going to tackle unfair investigations into terrorist attacks? “Recently we met with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and raised the issue of biased investigations into such attacks,” said Mujtaba Farooque, political secretary of Jamaat-e-Islami Hind (JIH), talking to TwoCircles.net (TCN) today. The prime minister suggested creating a mechanism through which arrest of innocents could be tackled, said Farooque. Like past investigations into terrorist attacks, this time too Muslims are being blamed and innocent Muslim youths are being arrested, said he. Will you demand CBI enquiry into such attacks? “This will have little impact as the entire system seems to have become biased,” said Farooque.
    Talking to TCN on the issue, Neyaz Ahmad Farooqui, secretary of Jamiat Ulama-i-Hind (JUH), said that after the Nanded and Malegaon blasts, JUH had demanded CBI enquiry, but no avail. These attacks are being carried out to tarnish the image of Islam and Muslims, he said. What will be your strategy to counter biased mentality of investigating agencies? “We will resort to every democratic means to tackle the issue,” said Farooqui.
    S Q R Ilyas, convener of All India Muslim Personal Law Board (AIMPLB), sees some international conspiracy behind such terrorist attacks in India. Talking to TCN, on the sideline of today’s Imarat Shariah Conference, Ilyas said, “It seems some international agencies hell-bent on tarnishing the image of Islam and Muslims are conniving with Hindu extremist groups to carry out such attacks so that the entire community could be put in the dock.” On AIMPLB’s future strategy on the issue, he said the organization may not take any action as its function areas are limited. He, however, said some efforts are on to bring out a white paper on the acquittal of Muslims arrested after previous terrorist attacks. Those acquittals were deliberately ignored by the media, he said, and their publication will help in rebuilding the image of Muslims.
    To get the latest on the investigation into the Jaipur terrorist attacks, TCN contacted Er. Mohammad Saleem, Rajasthan JIH president and one of the frontline Muslim leaders in the state. “Till today the police could not make any serious breakthrough in the investigation; better to say that the officials are not making any serious effort to nab the real culprits,” said Saleem on phone from Jaipur. The police have arrested about a dozen Muslim youths but they say the youths have been taken into custody only for interrogation, they have not been arrested formally, said he. What about the investigation pattern? “What is happening is what we feared?” he said adding that two Hindu names appeared soon after the attacks have since disappeared. Vijay, a rickshaw puller from Mumbai, had alleged that a local woman named Meena lured him to carry out attacks for Rs. 1 lakh. Now the police say Vijay is mentally retarded, said Saleem. This all points out that intelligence and investigating agencies are trying to protect the culprits rather than bringing them to justice.
    Er. Saleem expressed apprehension that some international intelligence agencies might have connived with their Indian counterparts to design such attacks so that Muslims could be targeted in the country. He demanded CBI enquiry into the attacks and said he would put the entire issue before the state DGP in a day or two.
    Meanwhile Rajasthan Muslim Forum, an umbrella organization of Muslim groups in the state, has decided to hold an antiterrorism conference on 25th May in Jaipur.

Comment

There is a conspiracy to convert Kishanganj into Kashmir: Taslimuddin

Posted May 20th, 2008 by Tarique Anwar

By TwoCircles.net staff reporter,
      Kishanganj: Poor residents of this highly Muslim-dominated district are being harassed, they are facing hurdles in running their business and police are harassing them in the border areas of the district, said Union Minister Mohd. Taslimuddin on 19th May.
      Talking to pressmen, the union minister of state for food and civil supplies said several Muslims have been falsely implicated in cases and they are facing many other atrocities.
      Praising people of his constituency, Kishanganj, he said the district had sent a message of peace to the country in 1992 when the entire nation was burning in the fire of communalism after the demolition of Babri Masjid.
      He warned that if harassment of the people is not stopped soon, the situation may get worse and the state government will be responsible for it. He said that he has complained with the Home Minister in this regard. He said there seems to be a conspiracy in practice to convert Kishanganj into Kashmir.
      Located in the northeast of Bihar, Kishanganj became a separate district in 1990. Surrounded by West Bengal, Bangladesh and Nepal, Kishanganj is one of the most backward districts of the country. The district has set example of peace and communal harmony in hard times. Today when the whole country is suffering from the curse of communalism, Kishanganj still maintains its century old charm of peace.
      After Kashmir Valley, Kishanganj is the second biggest Muslim populated area having 80% Muslim population. All communities including Hindu, Muslim and Sikh have lived here with peace and communal harmony. The Gujarat riots or other such communal riots had little impact on the mind of people here. The district is dotted with a number of temples, mosques and dargahs. No religious site here has ever been damaged in the past during communal riots in other parts of the country. People celebrate all festivals with equal enthusiasm.
      Talking about the Jaipur bombings, the minister asked “Who are they who want to disturb the communal atmosphere of the country by bombing religious and public places and killing innocents? He lambasted investigating agencies and media for burying the truth behind these attacks. He expressed concern that after every such attack, police arrest Muslim youths and put them behind bars.

Comment

Originally posted by afdal View Post
        'Maulvis in India keeping Muslims backward'

Posted July 20th, 2007 by Tarique Anwar

By Faraz Ahmad, IANS
        New Delhi : In the last 60 years of independence, no madrassa - including the great Darul Uloom at Deoband - has produced a single scholar, says minority education body chief M.S.A. Siddiqui underlining the need to modernise madrassas in India.
        "I wonder whether these maulvis ever ponder over this. These people have a vested interest in keeping the community backward," Siddiqui, chairman of the National Commission of Minority Educational Institutions (NCMEI), told IANS in an interview.
        "Every year they pack their bags during Ramzan/Bakrid months with photographs of beggar children in tatters, take off for Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Qatar, Oman and Saudi Arabia and collect zakat (alms) to the tune of Rs.20 billion.
        "They pass a fatwa, whereby they retain 40 percent of that collection - working out to nearly Rs.8 billion - for their personal use."
        Siddiqui, a retired judge of Delhi High Court, was explaining the necessity for the commission to recommend the enactment of a Madrassa Board Bill to register, finance and regulate madrassa education in India.
        "The idea of setting up a madrassa board is not to influence religious education but to enable children studying in these madrassas to join the mainstream as educated young men and women," he said.
        "The board will help prepare modern curriculum, standardise non-religious teaching and introduce science, mathematics and English to enable them to compete with the world outside.
        "This would also help prevent the recurrence of a Lal Masjid type incident in India," said Siddiqui referring to the siege of the Islamabad mosque by madrassa students and militants that led to a bloody confrontation with the authorities.
        Hitting out at the All India Muslim Personal Law Board (AIMPLB), he said, "Its sole concern is to somehow circumvent due legal process, create shariah courts, whereby the Muslim community will be beholden and bonded to them and discouraged to seek normal legal course of justice.
        "And with a huge cash surplus, they further their political ambitions, buy up memberships of parliament and legislatures and strengthen their stranglehold on the community."
        The idea of funding and modernising madrassas in the country is not new. Earlier the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) government of former prime minister Atal Bihar Vajpayee had also conceived funding madrassas to modernise education in these institutions. The then human resource development minister, Murli Manohar Joshi, even sanctioned a substantial amount for disbursement to madrassas all over the country.
        Education is a state subject. "These funds have to be routed through the state minority welfare board to the district minority welfare officer," said Siddiqui pointing to corruption in the process.
        "There anybody with a beard and a skull cap lands up with a madrassa receipt book, gets the funds from the department, gives half the booty to government officials and takes away the loot. Many of these so-called madrassas exist only on these false receipt books," said Siddiqui of past attempts to fund and modernise madrassa education.
        Siddiqui also spoke of the vested interest of maulvis.
        "Most of them are upper caste, whereas the majority of the poor illiterate Muslims under their influence belong to the backward castes. There is no caste system in Islam but it is happily practised in the Indian subcontinent," he said.
        "The Personal Law Board forbade Muslim girls from studying in co-educational schools without bothering to reveal how many of them have sent abroad their sons and daughters to study in British and American universities. Do they wear a veil to study there?" wondered the NCMEI chairman.
        "When it comes to their lifestyle or the priorities of their immediate family members there is all the flexibility in Islam, and all the rigours are there to be imposed on others."
        That is where a law to register, fund and regulate madrassas would come in handy, he said. "Every time anyone tries to question these maulvis, they raise a hue and cry, describing it as an interference in religious affairs," said Siddiqui.
        (Faraz Ahmad can be contacted at [email protected])
        as salamu alaikum,

that's a bunch of bull****, aligarh was founded by a maulvi. and that is one of the best universities not just in india but internationally too. there's some medical schools in india by other maulana's like maulana azad medical school. and these schools have some of the best graduates (not just muslim studetns, but theres many hindu students on there). i worked at a hospital once, while they were doing fellowship interviews (for nephrology and pulmonary). most of the applicants were desi, and majority were from indian med schools.

as salamu alaikum
        There's nothing natural about natural disasters. Think about it...

Comment

they should stop tourists and the Hindus from visitng the Taj Mahal... and see how they feel... LOL
          "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path." - Morpheus, The Matrix. :hidban:

"It would not be reasonable in me if I did not serve Him Who created me, and to Whom ye shall (all) be brought back." Surah 36:22. Ya Sin (Yusuf Ali Translation)

Comment

Originally posted by belal1 View Post
            as salamu alaikum,

that's a bunch of bull****, aligarh was founded by a maulvi. and that is one of the best universities not just in india but internationally too. there's some medical schools in india by other maulana's like maulana azad medical school. and these schools have some of the best graduates (not just muslim studetns, but theres many hindu students on there). i worked at a hospital once, while they were doing fellowship interviews (for nephrology and pulmonary). most of the applicants were desi, and majority were from indian med schools.

as salamu alaikum
            Wasimur Rehman: Maulana, doctor and now civil servant

Posted May 23rd, 2008 by Tarique Anwar

By Mumtaz Alam Falahi, TwoCircles.net,
            When madrasas are labeled as an obstacle in Indian Muslim's education and growth, a madrasa graduate has proved the perception wrong. That too by walking on an uncharted path. Wasimur Rehman, a Fazil from Darul Uloom Deoband, South Asia's most respected Islamic seminary, has done proud to all madrasas and Indian Muslims by clearing India's prestigious UPSC Civil Services exam.
            Education
            Coming from an undeveloped district of Siddharth Nagar of Uttar Pradesh, Rahman has made a history by becoming first cleric to clear Civil Services Exam. Talking to TwoCircles.net (TCN) from New Delhi, he elaborated on his education, career and coaching for UPSC exam. "I began my education at a maktab in my village, then I shifted to Madrasa Ehyaul Uloom in U.P.'s Gonda district for higher religious education." At this madrasa, which is affiliated with Darul Uloom Deoband, Rehman completed five years of eight-year course of Fazil. For the remaining three years, at the end of which he was to be awarded with a degree, he moved to Darul Uloom Deoband in Saharanpur.
            Son of a hakeem (late), Rehman comes from a humble family background. His mother is homemaker; of three brothers, one is a driver and another works at a shop. His youngest brother is doing MA in Theology at Aligarh Muslim University, he said to TCN.
            Rehman is very happy to become first madrasa graduate to clear the UPSC Civil Services exam. This was his childhood dream. All odds notwithstanding, he has kept his childhood ambition to become a higher government officer afire all through. While talking to Hindustan Times Assistant Editor Zia Haq, Rehman said, "I always wanted to become a high-ranking government officer and serve my country. I am happy to become the first Darul cleric to clear the UPSC."
            But to achieve his goal, he had to cover a long distance after completing his course at Deoband. This mainly because there was no taker of his Deoband degree in the mainstream market – and this is where Muslim leadership and madrasa authorities should press the government to acknowledge the degrees from madrasas of certain standard. This may help in producing several Wasimur Rehmans, and ultimately will remove some doubts and misconceptions about madrasas and their education system.
            To get his degree nationally acceptable, Wasimur Rehman took admission at Jamia Hamdard. First he completed a one-year Pre-Tib course required for madrasa graduates seeking admission in BUMS. Then he completed five-years BUMS course. Now he was eligible to face graduate-level government exams. And he began preparation for UPSC exam. But at the same time, he decided to continue his study in Unani medicine, and so he took admission in MD (Unani) at Aligarh Muslim University (AMU).
            Coaching for UPSC
            At AMU he became more serious about his UPSC goal. So, along with his MD course, he began attending coaching classes provided by AMU's Centre for Guidance and Coaching for Civil Services aspirants.
            In Delhi, first he got guidance from Crescent Coaching, then he joined Waji Ram and Ravi coaching for General Studies (Mains). Before his fourth and last attempt at Civil Services exam, he joined Hamdard Coaching Centre run by Jamia Hamdard.
            Support
            As he was not from a rich family, who helped him in his studies and UPSC preparation? "My family, my all brothers always remained supportive to me. They helped me as much as they could," said Rehman to TCN. "At AMU, I also worked on a project called Traditional Knowledge Digital Library (TKDL), a Central government project wherein Unani literature is being digitalized," he said. This project helped him financially.
            Madrasa's role
            For his success at UPSC, how much credit will he give to the madrasa education he got? "The extracurricular activities related to enhancement of writing and speaking ability of students at the madrasa helped me immensely. At Mains (UPSC) a candidate's writing ability is tested thoroughly. "Whatever writing ability I could develop at the madrasa proved crucial for my success," said Rehman. What kind of reformation of madrasa would you like? "I think what is most important is motivation and awareness. Madrasa students are not less talented than any other students. They need to be motivated and properly guided," said the man who has no email ID at the time when millions of teenagers across the globe have romped the Web world.
            A trained cleric as an IAS officer
            What will be his priority as an IAS officer? "To serve the country without any discrimination of caste and creed will be my priority, first and last, and I will work with full sincerity and honesty," he said. How can he keep himself clean while being a part of a corrupt system? "On my part, I will try to be an honest officer," said the man whose success has justifiably rekindled hope in eyes of many other madrasa graduates.

http://twocircles.net/2008may23/wasi...l_servant.html

Comment

Accusing Muslims for terrorism not right: speakers at grand anti-terrorism conference

Posted June 1st, 2008 by Mudassir Rizwan

New Delhi : Muslims should not feel guilty for each act of terrorism; they should not feel inferior to other communities in India as they are equal inheritor of this country and they should strive for their rights, said speakers at a grand anti-terrorism conference here on 31st May.
              “We are opposed to terrorism and we are determined to eliminate it, come what may,” said Maulana Mahmood Madani, leader of Jamiat Ulama-i-Hind (JUH) and Member of Parliament. The global peace conference held at Ram Lila Ground was attended by roughly 1.5 lac people. The conference was organized by Darul Uloom Deoband, JUH and some other leading Muslim organizations including Jamaat-e-Islami Hind (JIH) and Jamiat Ahle Hadees.
              “What could be more blatant lie than calling Muslims terrorist?” asked social leader Swami Agnivesh, adding that when two followers of Islam meet, they greet each other with a peace prayer. “Real terrorists are those who created Israel in the heart of Arab world, imposed war on Afghanistan and Iraq and now are eying Iran,” said Agnivesh lambasting the western powers.
              Filmmaker Mahesh Bhatt said that by putting 20-crore strong Muslim community in the dock, India can never succeed in curbing terrorism. He expressed concern over the trend that Muslims are blamed for each act of terrorism.
              JIH secretary Mujtaba Farooque said that soon after a terrorist attack, fingers are raised at Muslims while intelligence and secret agencies are in the dark before the attack.
              Maulana Marghoobur Rahman, rector of Darul Uloom Deoband, was patron of the conference which was presided over by Qari Syed Mohammad Usman, JUH president and deputy rector of Darul Uloom Deoband.
              In his presidential address, Qari Usman said the scenario created by global terrorism is a challenge for the Muslim community as it is altering the social and political situations vis-à-vis Muslims in India. At this juncture, it is necessary for madrasas and Muslim organizations to declare that they have nothing to do with terrorism and they condemn all kinds of terrorism.
              Rejecting the allegations of terrorism against Muslims, Qari Usman said, “How can Muslims in India become a terrorist while they have always sacrificed for the country, all odds, hurdles and discrimination notwithstanding?” Muslims have always taken to a democratic way to fight for their rights and they have always refrained from extremist groups and activities, he continued. Not a single Muslim has ever been found in any anti-national activities, he said.
              Other religious leaders and prominent personalities who spoke on the occasion included Maulana Asghar Ali Imam Mehdi, general secretary of Jamiat Ahle Hadees, Pramjeet Sing Serna, president of Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee

http://twocircles.net/2008jun01/accu...onference.html

Comment

Kolkata: A demonstration by West Bengal Madrasa Students Union outside the office of the West Bengal Board of Madrasa Education, demanding to allow Kamil students ( madrasa graduate) prompted State Government to take action in this regard.
                Madrasa students demanded that graduates of madrasa board exam be allowed to appear in School Service Commission Examination (SSC) for appointment in Government run madrasas.
                According to officials of the state madrasa education department, the School Service Commission (SSC) conducts the examination for appointment against the vacancy of theology teachers in state run madrasa since 1997. However, last year graduates from madrasa stream were not allowed to appear in the examination.
                The eligibility to take this examination was changed since last year and madrasa graduates couldn't appear in this exam. The minimum qualification for the students of madrasa stream is post graduation where as for the sudents of other stream it is graduation.
                Hundreds of madrasa graduates would have lost the chance to appear for SSC this year too had it not been for the agitation, a section of students claimed. While the madrasa board has said it does not know why its graduates were denied the chance.
                The state madrasa education department has claimed that this is due to some mistakes in communication between the Board and the School Education Department.
                Madrasas-that was managed by school education department earlier – are now being overseen by a separate department, a senior representative of the department claimed. Therefore according to rules, the madrasa education department is independent not to follow the norms framed by the earlier department.
                Abdus Sattar, Minister for madrasa education added that his department is taking necessary steps to make sure that the madrasa graduates are re allowed to appear for the test.
                He stated that there was some problem last year but now the Chief Minister himself is taking up this matter seriously with the school education department. Measures are being taken to ensure that graduates of madrasa are permitted to take the test, Sattar informed.

Comment

Ten suspected ISI agents released
                  GUWAHATI, June 12: In a glaring example of the total inaptitude of the Assam Police, the Additional Sessions Court of Kamrup today had to release 10 suspected ISI agents as the Assam Police could not submit any documents to prove its claim!
                  It should be noted that the 10 suspected ISI agents were arrested by the Assam Police from various parts of the State and from Kolkata in 1999. Out of the 10 suspects arrested, one was a Bangladeshi citizen while one was a Pakistani citizen. The 10 suspects had been held in State jails for the last 9 years but even 9 years were too less for the Assam Police to gather any documents to substantiate its claim.
                  Out of the 10 suspects arrested, 5 were arrested from the city, 2 from Karimganj and 1 each from Howli, Goalpara and Kolkata. The Bangaldeshi citizen Billal Miyan was arrested in Kolkata while the Pakistani citizen was arrested while he was travelling from Karimganj to Guwahati to sell stolen watches.
                  Though the Pakistani and Bangladeshi suspects could have been sentenced to 5-year terms for violating the Foreigners Act, the Kamrup Additional Sessions Judge had to free them as they had already spent nine years in jail. The release of the 10 suspected ISI agents should come as a slap on the face of the Assam Police.

Comment

violence spread in West Bengal
                    Posted June 14th, 2008 by Tarique Anwar

Ganga Sagar: In a fresh incident of communal violence, at least 40 people are reported to have been injured in Ganga Sagar island in West Bengal on 13th June. The injured included 15 policemen.
                    According to reports, clashes between RSS workers and local Muslims erupted soon after a training camp organized by the Hindu extremist organization ended in the area. Reports say that RSS workers were making provocative sloganeering against Muslims and Quran. It is said that RSS and Bajrang Dal had already made preparations to cause harm to Muslims. Although RSS and other Hindu communal organizations have spread their influence in other Indian states, West Bengal has until recently been aloof from such incidents.
                    President of West Bengal Jamiat Ulama-i-Hind Maulana Siddiqullah Chaudhary have indirectly accused the CPM-led state government for the violence. He said the communalists were given an opportunity to perpetrate terror against Muslims in order to augment the weakening grip of communist party on Muslim community. The CPM is apprehensive of losing mandate in coming election on this account. About 2.5 lakh Muslims reside in the island; it turns out to be 50% of the total population. CPM is anxious to attract Muslims of the state as general elections are round the corner. But RSS has become equally active here. On Thursday, there were clashes between Bengalese and Nepalese in Siliguri City injuring about 30 persons, after which the army was deployed.
                    RSS, however, said that it held the training camp peacefully. They said that they feared such eventuality from the very beginning of the programme. RSS is said to be now busy in penetrating its roots in Muslim dominated border areas of West Bengal where, it claims, Bangladeshis are coming in illegally. Mohsin Ali, a local inhabitant, says RSS supporters had resorted to provocative sloganeering. On the other hand, RSS has accused the Marxist government had incited Muslims to attack RSS men. But rejecting RSS allegations, the Marxist leader and a minister in the state government Kanti Ganguli said RSS is a provoking organization.

Comment

Originally posted by afdal View Post
                      Ten suspected ISI agents released
                      GUWAHATI, June 12: In a glaring example of the total inaptitude of the Assam Police, the Additional Sessions Court of Kamrup today had to release 10 suspected ISI agents as the Assam Police could not submit any documents to prove its claim!
                      It should be noted that the 10 suspected ISI agents were arrested by the Assam Police from various parts of the State and from Kolkata in 1999. Out of the 10 suspects arrested, one was a Bangladeshi citizen while one was a Pakistani citizen. The 10 suspects had been held in State jails for the last 9 years but even 9 years were too less for the Assam Police to gather any documents to substantiate its claim.
                      Out of the 10 suspects arrested, 5 were arrested from the city, 2 from Karimganj and 1 each from Howli, Goalpara and Kolkata. The Bangaldeshi citizen Billal Miyan was arrested in Kolkata while the Pakistani citizen was arrested while he was travelling from Karimganj to Guwahati to sell stolen watches.
                      Though the Pakistani and Bangladeshi suspects could have been sentenced to 5-year terms for violating the Foreigners Act, the Kamrup Additional Sessions Judge had to free them as they had already spent nine years in jail. The release of the 10 suspected ISI agents should come as a slap on the face of the Assam Police.
                      GUWAHATI, June 14: Former Asom Chief Minister Prafulla Kumar Mahanta, former Asom Chief Secretary JP Rajkhowa and former DGP HK Deka today expressed serious concern over the release of as many as ten suspected ISI agents by the court for the failure of the Assam Police to prove charges against them. They termed it as a total failure of the Government and a serious threat to the internal security of the country. Mahanta even said the incident has once again proved Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi’s soft stand towards the ISI and Islamic fundamentalists. However, the All Assam Students’ Union (AASU) preferred not to air any comment on the issue now.
                      Talking to The Sentinel, Mahanta said: “It was due to the bold stand taken by the then AGP Government that police could arrest as many as ten ISI agents on the basis of strong ground, but those ISI agents have been set free due to negligence on the part of the Tarun Gogoi-led Government. Either the police didn’t investigate the case deeply or the prosecutor was not given the required briefing by the State Government or the State Government took a soft stand in the case. Whatever may be the case, it has proved once again that Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi is soft towards the ISI and fundamentalists. This is undoubtedly a serious threat to the internal security of the country.”
                      It may be mentioned here that the 10 suspected ISI agents had been arrested during the tenure of Prafulla Kumar Mahanta as Chief Minister of the State.
                      Blaming it on the Assam Police, former Asom Chief Secretary JP Rajkhowa said since it is a serious matter and the Union Ministry of Home Affairs should step in. Talking to The Sentinel, Rajkhowa said : “If the ten are not ISI agents, the Assam Police is responsible for holding them so long on mere suspicion. After their arrest, did the Assam Police ever consult the RAW and IB, given the fact that the issue was so serious and a grave threat to the internal security of the country?”
                      Rajkhowa further said: “The Assam Police can still detain them as they are a threat to national security. They can still be arrested under the National Security Act (NSA) and their cases may be referred to an advisory committee headed by a retired judge of the High Court. The Assam Police is actually incompetent to handle such cases.”
                      Former Asom DGP HK Deka was also surprised at the release of the 10 suspected ISI agents. Talking to The Sentinel, Deka said: “It’s not only an unfortunate incident, but also a threat to the internal security of the country. When the suspected ISI agents were arrested, sufficient incriminating documents were seized from their possession. Maybe, the police didn’t investigate the case deeply and that led to its failure to prove the charges against the 10.”
                      Asom Jatiyatabadi Yuba-Chatra Parishad (AJYCP) general secretary Manoj Baruah said: “It’s a total failure of the Government and the police. If the 10 are not ISI agents, what action will the Government take against those who detained them for nine years?”
                      AUDF working president HRA Choudhury, on the other hand, said: “This incident has proved that only judiciary can give justice to the people, not administration. The incident has also proved that there is a tendency to frame the people of a particular community as fundamentalists.”
                      It is worth mentioning here that when the 10 suspected ISI agents had been arrested, including four from the Guwahati railway station, the police had claimed that it had seized various incriminating documents from their possession and claimed that it had been a big success.
                      What will Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi say now? It is still fresh in the minds of circles concerned that the Chief Minister, while replying to a question from Opposition leader Chandra Mohan Patowary on March 10 this year, told the Assam Assembly that ISI activities had been on the rise in the State and that his Government had arrested as many as nine ISI agents. Gogoi had also told the Assembly that his Government had enough evidence to prove that MULTA and HuM had links with the ISI.
                      This apart, at a meeting on internal security in New Delhi on December 20, 2007, Gogoi said: “The Northeast, of late, emerged as an important hub for espionage activity for agencies such as the ISI. But we are determined to root out that menace.”
                      Does Gogoi realize the gravity of the situation?

Comment

Kutch gets Muslim Brides from Bengal

Ahmedabad:
                        If you thought that women trafficked out of Bangladesh and bordering district of West Bengal find their way to the sex trade, then think again. Many among such girls from the eastern part of the sub-continent are now being sold off as brides in the western district of Kutch in Gujarat. It has been merely ten months since Mumtaz has been married off to Salim Mongal, a shepherd in Bhadreshwar village. The 16 year old girl from Bankura district of West Bengal is already seven months pregnant and trying to cope with the new culture and language. Like Mumtaz, Masura, Samina Ruksana and many other Bengali girls like her from the Indo-Bangla border areas are now finding their way here as brides. “Our father was too poor to arrange for our marriage back home,’’ said Ruksana Adam, who claims to be from Bankura district of West Bengal. “ It was at that point, a man called Zafar from our area met our father and got me married here,’’ Ruksana added. Married for four years, this woman in her early 20s now has a daughter. Her sister Afsana, who is in her early 20s too found her way to Kutch a couple of years ago and has a son.

Many girls are being brought in here as well as in the Banni region, said Meena Rajgore from the Kutch Mahila Vikas Sangathan. “While they claim to hail from Kolkata, many of them are from Bangladesh too,’’ she added. “In many communities here there is a tradition of early engagement, the ones who do not find a bride early are often forced to stay without a wife till very late. Mostly such people procure wives from Kolkata or Bangladesh,’’ she said. Nirav Patni from the District Rural Development Agency in Bhuj too confirmed the practice of getting brides from West Bengal and other areas along the Indo- Bangala border areas. We paid about Rs. 40,000 for getting our sister in law, Madina, said Ishaq Juma Kumbhar, a villager from Bhadreshwar. Kutch police superintendent Harekrishna Patel said, with gender disparity very high in Kutch, many communities buy their wives from outside. “We know many Bengali girls are being brought in here, but as yet we have no official information on girls from Bangladesh being brought in. But there is no official complaint registered in such cases also, which makes it difficult for us to initiate action,” he added.

(Reported by A.H. Lakhani)

Comment

protestors arrested after anti Qadiani demonstartion
                          Posted June 20th, 2008 by Tarique Anwar

By Mohamed Siddique, TwoCircles.net,
                          Hyderabad : Police arrested about 20 protesting Muslims in Hyderabad today when they tried to hold a demonstration near the place of worship of Ahmadia (Qadiani) community on the occasion of Friday.
                          The demonstrators were demanding the removal of a board on the place declaring it to be a mosque. Muslims reject the claim of Ahmadias that they were also Muslims and have been demanding that they should stop calling their places of worship Mosques.
                          As soon as the Friday congregations over in the nearby mosques, a large number of Muslims gathered outside Ahmadia center demanding that the board be taken off. The community had a new board with "Lailaha Illalla Mmohammadur Rasulullah" and "Masjid" written on it.
                          The Hyderabad city police commissioner B Prasad Rao said that as a precautionary measure additional police force and personnel of anti riot Rapid Action Force was deployed near the Ahmadia center. The police had also barricaded the place with barbed wires to keep the protestors at bay.
                          Tension is prevailing between the Muslims and members of Ahmadia community since Sunday last when a protest by Muslim community had forced the state government to cancel a conference of Ahmadia Jamat.
                          All Muslim organizations, including the politically influential Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen and Jamat-e-Islami had held a huge public meeting in Hyderabad on Saturday last demanding that the Ahmadias should be declared as non Muslims in India as their faith clashes with the basic tenets of Islam. "The Qadianis should not be allowed to undertaking any public activity in the name of Muslims and Islam as they don't believe in Prophet Mohammed being the last messenger of God. They believe their found Ghulam Ahmad to be their prophet", said Asauddin Owaisi, MIM MP from Hyderabad.
                          The Ahmadia community is celebrating the hundredth anniversary of the selection of successor to the founder of their faith.

Comment

Author: Shaykh Zainuddin Makhdum - Translated from Arabic by S. Muhammad Husayn Nainar)
                            The Tuhfat al-Mujahidin or ‘The Tribute to the Strugglers’ is one of the earliest extant historical treatises about the southern Indian state of Kerala. Its author, the sixteenth century Shaikh Zainuddin Makhdum, hailed from the renowned Makhdum family from the town of Ponnani in Malabar, in northern Kerala. This family traced its descent to migrants from Yemen, who played a leading role in the spread of Islam in southern India. Following in the footsteps of many of his forefathers, Shaikh Zainduddin rose to become a leading Islamic scholar. He spent ten years studying in Mecca, where he also joined the Qadri order. On his return to his native Malabar, he spent almost four decades teaching at the central mosque in Ponnani, then a major centre for Islamic studies in southern India. He also served as the envoy of the Zamorins, the Hindu rulers of Calicut, to Egypt and Turkey.
                            The Tuhfat is one of Shaikh Zainuddin’s several works, and is the best known among them. A chronicle of the stiff resistance put up by the Muslims of Malabar against the Portuguese colonialists from 1498, when Vasco Da Gama arrived in Calicut, to 1583, it describes in considerable detail events, many of which that the author had himself witnessed and lived through. It was intended, as Shaikh Zainduddin says, as a means to exhort the Malabar Muslims to launch a struggle or jihad against the Portuguese invaders. The book thus extols the virtues of jihad against oppressors, and, at the same time, also provides fascinating details about the history of Islam in Malabar, the relations between Muslims and Hindus in the region and the customs and practices of both.
                            Islam’s first contact with India is said to have taken place in Malabar, and Shaikh Zainuddin offers a popularly-held account of this. He writes of how the Hindu ruler of Malabar, impressed with a group of Muslim pilgrims on their way to Ceylon, converted to Islam and accompanied them back to Arabia. There, shortly before he died, he instructed them to return to Malabar. They did as they were told, and the king’s governors welcomed them, allowing them to settle along the coast and establish mosques. Gradually, he writes, the Muslim community began expanding through the missionary efforts of Sufis and traders.
                            Relations between Muslims and the Hindus of Malabar, Shaikh Zainudin observes, were traditionally cordial. The rulers of Malabar, all Hindus, treated the Muslims with respect, one reason being that the Muslims played a vital role in the region’s economy because of their control of the trading routes linking Malabar to other lands by sea. Hindu rulers even paid salaries of the muezzins and qazis and allowed the Muslims to be governed in personal matters by their own laws. Hindus who converted to Islam were not harassed, and, even if they were of ‘low’ caste origin, were warmly welcomed into the Muslim community. This was probably one reason for the rapid spread of Islam in the region.
                            Shaikh Zainuddin’s observations about the Hindus of Malabar are remarkable for their sense of balance and sympathy. Of the Hindu rulers, he says, ‘There are some who are powerful and some comparatively weak. But the strong, as a matter of fact, will not attack or occupy the territory of the weak’. (This, Shaikh Zainuddin suggests, might be a result of the conversion of one of their kings, referred to earlier, to Islam ‘and of his supplications to this effect to God’). He also adds, ‘[The] people of Malabar are never treacherous in their wars’. At the same time, he notes with disapproval the deeply-rooted caste prejudices among the Malabari Hindus. So strict is the law of caste, he writes, that any violation of it results in excommunication, forcing the violator to convert to Islam or Christianity or become a yogi or mendicant or to be enslaved by the king. Even such a minor matter as a ‘high’ caste Hindu woman being hit by a stone thrown by a ‘low’ caste man causes her to lose caste. ‘How many such detestable customs!”, Shaikh Zainuddin remarks after recounting some of them. ‘Due to their ignorance and stupidity, they strictly follow these customs, believing that it is their moral responsibility to uphold them’, he adds. ‘It was while they were living in these social conditions that the religion of Islam reached them by the grace of Allah’, he goes on, ‘[a]nd this was the main reason for their being easily attracted to Islam’.
                            Of all the Hindu rulers of Malabar, the most powerful, and also the most friendly towards the Muslims, were the Zamorins of Calicut, who claimed descent from the king who is said to have converted to Islam and died in Arabia. The Tuhfat describes how the Zamorins turned down bribes offered by the Portuguese to expel the Muslims, and of how they, along with Nair Hindu and Muslim forces, engaged in numerous battles with the Portuguese, who are said to have singled out the Muslims for attack and persecution. Shaikh Zainuddin is at pains to note the contrast between the response of the Hindu Zamorins to the plight of the Malabar Muslims with that of several Muslim Sultans in other parts of India, who were approached for help in expelling the Portuguese. ‘The Muslim-friendly Zamorin’, he writes, ‘has been spending his wealth from the beginning’ for the protection of the Malabari Muslims from the depredations of the Portuguese. On the other hand, he rues, ‘The Muslim Sultans and Amirs—may Allah heighten the glory of the helpful among them—did not take any interest in the Muslims of Malabar’.
                            The Portuguese conquests, resulting in their wresting g the monopoly over the Malabar spice trade from the Muslims, caused a rapid decline in Muslim fortunes, reducing the community to abject poverty. Shaikh Zainduddin describes the reign of terror unleashed on the Malabari Muslims, by the Portuguese, who were fired with a hatred of Islam and Muslims—indiscriminate killings of Muslims, rapes of Muslim women, forcible conversions of Muslims to Christianity, enslaving of hundreds of Muslims, destroying mosques and building churches in their place and setting alight Muslim shops and homes.
                            In appealing to the Malabari Muslims to launch jihad against the Portuguese, Shaikh Zainuddin makes clear that this struggle is purely a defensive one, directed at only the Portuguese interlopers and not the local Hindus or the Hindu Zamorins, for whom he expresses considerable respect. Nor is it, he suggests, a call to establish Muslim political supremacy and control. Jihad, then, for Shaikh Zaiuddin, was a morally just struggle to restore peace in Malabar and expel foreign occupiers, to return to a period when Muslims and Hindus in the region lived together in harmony.
                            This treatise is an indispensable source of Malabari history and would be invaluable to those interested in the history of Islam in South Asia. Much that Shaikh Zainuddin says with regard to the legitimacy of struggle against foreign occupation and oppression finds powerful echoes today, in the context of present-day imperialist aggression, which is, of course, much more lethal than its sixteenth century Portuguese counterpart that Shaikh Makhdum discusses in his book.

http://indianmuslims.in/book-review-...-al-mujahidin/

Comment

What are they preparing for?

Submitted by Tarique Anwar on 18 June 2008 - 6:41pm.

By Nasiruddin Haider Khan,
                              What are they preparing for? Against whom? For whose security? And who are the people who are doing these preparations? A channel reported that in Indore, Rashtriya Swayamsewak Sangh (RSS) members openly fired guns in the air. There were multiple rounds fired. I am sure people of the area would not have become happy to hear the sounds of gunfire. They must have been scared. Who is being scared? And who are these preparations against?

Earlier, we had news of girls being given arms training in various Sangh Parivar camps. Is it that the Ministry of Defence has outsourced border protection to Sangh Parivar? After all, this is the time of outsourcing and responsibilities of armed forces are also being outsourced. But it could not be outsourcing of border security. Perhaps it is for protecting cities and mohallas. But the question stands, security for whom and against whom?
                              Who are our enemies? Is it the same security that was needed in a state called Gujarat not too long ago? Please bear with me, Gujarat is used just as an example here. What is in their heart, only Lord Ram can tell.
                              But what is happening in the name of Ram? Recently we heard that Maharashtra’s Anti-Terror Squad have nabbed two people for bomb blasts in an auditorium. These two are associated with a Hindutva organization. (Veer Savarkar also said there is a difference between Hinduism and Hindutva). In April 2006, two Bajrang Dal members died while making bombs in Nasik. Again the question to be asked is who is making the bomb and who are the intended targets? Bhagat Singh did a blast to make the deaf hear, no one was injured as a result of his bomb. But these bombs are for killings. Who is to be killed?
                              But there is something odd here. Think about it, if an organization that had words like Muslim, Islam, Tanzim, or Idara in its name and its members were taking arms training in a part in Indore or firing in broad day light. What would have happened then?
                              Suppose, if people arrested for blast in Thane auditorium were part of Islamic movement, mujahideen or a jehadi organization, would the media and government officials have taken it the same way they did with this news of June 17th, 2008? (Go on and search newspapers and TV news of that day).
                              But the question still stands, who is this preparations for? And against whom?
                              (Nasiruddin Haider Khan is a journalist and activist based in Lucknow)

Comment

Politicization of terror

Submitted by Tarique Anwar on 19 June 2008 - 8:06pm.
                                By Md. Ali, TwoCircles.net,
                                Exactly ten years after Babri Masjid demolition, on 6th December 2002, a powerful blast rips apart a BEST bus in Ghatkopar in northern Mumbai. Two persons died on the spot. Maharashtra police picked up several Muslim youths including Khwaja Yunus, a Gulf-based NRI software professional. Years later, the POTA court acquits Yunus and all other accused. But something tragic occurs before the court acquittal.
                                Violating all the norms of basic humanity and human rights, the police brutally torture Yunus and he is murdered in the police custody.
                                That Khwaja Yunus was innocent has been confirmed by the court. Then the question conveniently forgotten by the state and central investigative agencies that had passionately arrested the so called Muslim terrorists remains. If it was not Khwaja Yunus, who was behind the Ghatkopar bomb blast and a number of other unsolved blasts? The recent arrest of some Hindu extremists in connection with the Thane auditorium bombing case may provide some clues.
                                Hindutva groups
                                The Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) of Maharashtra arrested four persons: Mangesh Dinkar Nikam, Ramesh Hanumant Gadkari, Santosh Angre, and Vikram Bhave for planting the bombs at the Bhave auditorium in Vashi and Thane's Gadkari Rangayatan last month. Seven persons were injured in the Thane blast on June 4th.
                                These people are associated with Hindutva groups Janjagruti Samiti and Sanatan Sanstha.

Gadkari, is an engineering diploma holder. Angre, a school dropout, was in the business of preparing and selling ayurvedic medicines.
                                According to the accused, they had manufactured at least five bombs. While three of them were planted in Panvel, Vashi and Thane, one was planted in a dustbin at Pen but it did not go off.
                                These Hindutva extremists confessed to ATS on Tuesday that they had planted a bomb outside a mosque/dargah on the Pen highway last Diwali. They claimed that they wanted to check the intensity of the bomb, but it did not explode.
                                "Gadkari and Bhave said that they had planted a bomb outside a mosque or dargah, on the Pen highway. Our teams are verifying the claim,'' said investigating officer B B Rathor.
                                With this revelation, the ATS is now going through the records of those arrested for the Jalana, Porna and Parbhani mosque blasts to find if there is any connection between the two groups.
                                This official revelation from ATS is important in many respects.
                                It is the first time that the ATS has come up in the public with the possibility of any kind of involvement of Hindutva terrorist groups in bomb blasts in India.
                                This is the recent proof in the series of incidents which point towards the possibility of Hindutva terrorist organizations in the terrorist incidents in India.
                                This confession by the members of the Hindu organizations has caused varied reactions in the social and political spectrum across India.
                                The secular organizations have re-emphasized the need for the central and state investigative agencies to look for the real culprits behind terror attacks in India. They point towards the fact that not even a single case of bomb blast except the Bombay bomb blast of 1993 has been finally investigated, nor the agencies could be able to arrest the real culprits.
                                Speaking to TwoCircles.net, Saeed Khan of Muslim Youth of India (MY India) demanded that there should be independent inquiry of all the bomb blasts in India, for which the central government should constitute an independent national tribunal consisting of retired judges, retired police officers, civil and human right activists and journalists.
                                He points out that till now the investigative agencies have dealt with the bomb blasts in a completely prejudicial manner exhibiting their deep rooted biases against the Muslims in India. Notwithstanding, not even a single case of bomb blast except the 1993 Bombay bomb blast, has reached to natural conclusion.
                                Khan, who works with Muslim youth educating them about dangers of extremism, explains that whenever a blast occurs, there would be a breaking news which would claim the involvement of SIMI, HUJI, and others; the sketches would be released and many Muslim youths would be arrested without proper proof, and after endless torture, if the human rights people raise their voice they would be released or they will endlessly tortured.
                                Then no one would remember the blast case and the case would be silently closed, even when the falsely implicated Muslim youths will remain arrested in jails. He cites the example of Ghatkopar bomb blast. And there are other cases like this.
                                For instance, the Nanded incident in which the RSS activists died whilst making bombs has been swept under the carpet by the government of Maharashtra as well as the media.
                                Politics of terror
                                Even the fake attack on the RSS HQ in Nagpur has been dealt with in a similar manner as the fact finding reports have shown. Recently the attack on the RSS HQ at Tenkasi, Tamil Nadu is also a case in point. The Tamil Nadu police arrested at least seven RSS activists for engineering the blasts that was designed to create communal tension.

A BJP banner publicising Hindu Janjagruti Samiti event
                                The investigative fraternity of India has sufficient evidence to prove that the Hindu fundamentalist organisations are involved in terrorist activities. Even the Home Minister Shiv Raj Patil has accepted in the Parliament in the last budget session that there are some Hindu terrorist organizations who are involved in terror activities in India, as did the Maharashtra Chief Minister Mr. Vilsasrao Desmukh a couple of days back.
                                Apart from that, the analysts and political commentators pointed towards the benefit that the BJP reaped because of the Jaipur bomb blast occurred immediately before the Karnataka elections. It helped the party to create panic and polarise the votes on religious lines, claims Saeed Khan.
                                Referring to this he points out that it has been very easy for the Hindu terrorist organisation to replace the politics of riot by the politics of bomb blasts, particularly when the investigative agencies are not able to see, deliberately or whatever, this very simple strategic point.
                                There is another very important development to this case now.
                                According to the media reports, the police has said that these accused can't be arrested under the Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) because these acts of terror were not done by "an organised terrorist group."
                                It is this double standard that the secular organisations are completely against.
                                "How can one differentiate between the Hindutva terrorism and the so called Islamic terrorism? And more importantly, does terrorism has any religion?"
                                Feroze Mithiborwala of Awami Bharat echoes Saeed Khan and urged the media not to label terrorism with 'Hindu' or 'Muslim' label as it pains the entire community as guilty.
                                Feroze blames the security agencies for failure in the terror investigations of the last three years. He points that all these investigations lead us nowhere which means that security agencies have been pursuing a preconceived path and have been looking at only one possibility. This has to lead to the demonization of the Muslim community and the rise of Islamophobia in India.
                                Feroze who is a political activist points out that the government, security establishments and the major media ignored the possibility that there were other terror networks in India besides often blamed SIMI-ISI.
                                These networks are operational and lethal is now proven beyond doubt by the arrests of Hindutva-vadis in number of bomb blasts.
                                If there was any doubt that these are rogue elements within the Hindutva organizations it was removed by the recent editorial of "Saamna" in which Bal Thackeray urges Hindu suicide squads. This terror thinking comes from the top.

Comment

Working...
                                X