X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Question!

Originally posted by belal1 View Post
    as salamu alaikum,

if a muslim wanted to do something with the finger for "good luck", then he/she can use the fingers for zhikr, and Allah swt knows best.

as salamu alaikum
    Excellent point about using the fingers for zikr! Good reminder too, I will keep it in mind :up:

Comment

Originally posted by elji View Post
      People make a habit of saying "God Willing" :)
      Or even better when said in Arabic!

Comment

Originally posted by elji View Post
        People make a habit of saying "God Willing" :)
        Is this an observation or are you telling us to do so?

Insha'Allah, I plan to say Insha'Allah more :D

Comment

Originally posted by Saudi Prince View Post
          Is it haram to say "fingers crossed"? Does it have any thing to do with the crucifix when christians say it? Could it mean Jesus will help you?
          Fingers crossed implies that one is Hoping for "Good Luck" since nothing happens by mere coincidences, everything Happens by the Will and Permission of Allah Ta'ala, it would be inappropriate to say fingers crossed ...

as to the Origin of this I do not know bro ...

:jkk:

Comment

Originally posted by Ibn Sina View Post
            Is this an observation or are you telling us to do so?

Insha'Allah, I plan to say Insha'Allah more :D
            Yeah I got confused 2. I think the brother is advising us.

Comment

I am married to a wonderful Muslim guy and we live in an Islamic country very happily. However, something weird happened recently - his brother and nieces and nephews returned from America and when I said "fingers crossed" they told me that was haram. Well I am not a Muslim but I respect Islam and its followers - but can I get some respect back, people? I wear hijab at the mother in law's house. I will wake my lazy awesome husband for prayer every morning, lol. I will have a massive spread of food for iftar during Ramadan - every day if necessary. (hopefully some invites will get us out of our own house, lol) But where does it say that I have to give up every single idiosyncrasy that makes me who I am culturally - Irish.

I didn't say anything at the time. But when they left, I told my husband who was (in my opinion) rightfully angry. In his opinion, how can someone who uses Insh'allah to blatantly put off doing something time and time again be of any authority on what is right/wrong. In his mind, because of all I do, because I pray with my husband when we are together - I am the better Muslim. I submit to God. I have read the Bible, the Torah and the Qur'an. I give charity. I help my family. I do not look for recognition in what I do - just a little respect.

Crossing my fingers is a way of reminding oneself of the person you are thinking of. If I have crossed my fingers, I think to say a little prayer, buy a little gift or do something for the person I am thinking of. Yes there is a component of superstitious luck but ask any Muslim in Sudan and you will find superstitions littering their traditions. Let's stop being so smug and just give some respect. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by KathyS View Post
                I am married to a wonderful Muslim guy and we live in an Islamic country very happily. However, something weird happened recently - his brother and nieces and nephews returned from America and when I said "fingers crossed" they told me that was haram. Well I am not a Muslim but I respect Islam and its followers - but can I get some respect back, people? I wear hijab at the mother in law's house. I will wake my lazy awesome husband for prayer every morning, lol. I will have a massive spread of food for iftar during Ramadan - every day if necessary. (hopefully some invites will get us out of our own house, lol) But where does it say that I have to give up every single idiosyncrasy that makes me who I am culturally - Irish.

I didn't say anything at the time. But when they left, I told my husband who was (in my opinion) rightfully angry. In his opinion, how can someone who uses Insh'allah to blatantly put off doing something time and time again be of any authority on what is right/wrong. In his mind, because of all I do, because I pray with my husband when we are together - I am the better Muslim. I submit to God. I have read the Bible, the Torah and the Qur'an. I give charity. I help my family. I do not look for recognition in what I do - just a little respect.

Crossing my fingers is a way of reminding oneself of the person you are thinking of. If I have crossed my fingers, I think to say a little prayer, buy a little gift or do something for the person I am thinking of. Yes there is a component of superstitious luck but ask any Muslim in Sudan and you will find superstitions littering their traditions. Let's stop being so smug and just give some respect. Thank you.
                Sister, can I ask you why you aren't Muslim yet? How long have you been married to your husband?
                ومن يتوكل على الله فهو حسبه
                And whosoever puts his trust in Allah,
                Then He will suffice him.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                X