Are you really lonely if you spend time on ummah.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you really lonely if you spend time on ummah.com

I hear quite a few people making quite a big deal about loneliness. What if your not lonely if your on a forum? Are cyber companions real companions and if they are... Then are you lonely? A bit of a philosophical question and a bit of a mess about.

Personally, no

I have people around me but I like being on my own, (not going to talk about marriage, that's different)

I talk alot on the forum, in real life I'm too lazy to talk but when I have the energy I am ready for some

I only come here to socialize with other Muslims and to see what they are upto, just casual chats

Best part is that I don't have to commit to anyone here, I can just log on and see how everyone is when they post

I think it's amazing we get to speak to people from different areas and cultures

People that I would never meet in real life

Cyber companionship is different to real life

I originally joined to find out if something is halal, second time I joined was to rant and about marriage, needed to meet people I could realate to and those that were going through same struggles
    'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

I think so fundamentally. Not saying that it's a permanent case though. Maybe only a temp one... Maybe in the future it won't be the case.

Who knows.

Dil Akela hai kyon

Cheesy ..

Comment

Alhamdulilaah I am never lonely too much to do too little time 2 night jobs , 5 children one special need and a house to maintain structure and routine to follow! Alhamdulilaah I would probably be lost with out this blessings in disguise and chaos.

Comment

It's nice to have a Muslim community online with like minded people. Sometimes it's hard to find that in real life.

Comment

Seems like there is a difference of opinion. People say in real life... Is cyber communication not real? If it is real then you are communicating and if you are communicating then your not communicating with yourself so... Are you really lonely?

Even if outside cyber communications you are then the fact that you are communicating with people (online) may mean that your not?

I haven't given my view yet (haven't really thought of it yet am waiting for the views of others.

Comment

No I don't feel lonely. I think this place helped me with that.

I never used to communicate with people out of my family so I joined this place to see what the rest of the world was like. It was scary at first but it exposed me to different types of people which translated into how I approach people offline so alhamdullillah. Ummah forum helped me a lot once I got used to everyone.

I guess I would consider cyber communication as real communication because I don't think I would act differently then I do online if I was talking to the same people. I don't like altering my behavior just because nobody I know is here to watch me.

Comment

Not that easy practicing Islam in my country, let alone in uni. And my family aren't so big on talking about Islam. So here I am, just wandering 😏 and learning at the same time

Been here for years
                Last edited by nudgetheputri1; 04-03-20, 04:29 PM.

Comment

So basically my original question was supposed to be if your alone quite a lot outside of cyber communications does that make you lonely?

I personally don't know if it does because if cyber communication is real communication (and it has to be, were not robots) then you are communicating and if your communicating with someone then is that loneliness.

I think that physically you may be rather lonely but not alone in the complete sense. because of the communications (cyber) with other people. So the interesting question now is, is this kind of individual lonely?

Comment

Originally posted by Yahya2020 View Post
                    So basically my original question was supposed to be if your alone quite a lot outside of cyber communications does that make you lonely?

I personally don't know if it does because if cyber communication is real communication (and it has to be, were not robots) then you are communicating and if your communicating with someone then is that loneliness.

I think that physically you may be rather lonely but not alone in the complete sense. because of the communications (cyber) with other people. So the interesting question now is, is this kind of individual lonely?
                    Asalamu alaikum wa rahmatullah wa barakatu

I dont have too much social interaction in real life. I live by myself and while I interact with people at the university I dont really consider that social interaction as due to complete difference in outlook and moral expectations I keep to myself

Masjid I know people but much older at local mosque. The few I am close too everyone is so busy

ummah forum places like it etc sometimes days go by and it's the only social interaction I get

Am I lonely? No. I used to be for a long time I struggled living by myself but now I'm kind of used to it. I have Allah taking care of me and he is most kind and merciful to me

I have a neurological disorder so my health isnt the best so things like marriage etc elude me. Life can be a struggle but the plan is to keep putting one foot in front of another because I hope inshaAllah the end of the road is in jannah
                    "My servants, you who have transgressed against yourselves, do not despair of the mercy of Allah. Truly Allah forgives all wrong actions. He is the Ever-Forgiving, the Most Merciful." (Surat az-Zumar: 53)

Comment

Wa alaykum salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh. Indeed one must keep moving forward, despite certain setbacks in this world.

I think the case of being lonely is something that there would be difference of opinion on depending on the case. People may assume that i am lonely but i can say that you don't seem to feel lonely at least so thats a good thing.

I made this thread but it was a kind of a joke thing. Depending on the circumstance i don't think it's a big deal. Like what you said about uni, sometimes it's better to keep to oneself.

That being said have we got any conclusions yet?

Comment

Yeah I feel less lonely cos of this place by quite a bit.

I work from home and am doing my post-grad qualifications at home too since I have a health problem called MS.

My company is my mother/fam on most days and my best friend from childhood who am very close with still, we meet up when I feel well but she is very supportive and understanding about my situation.

Its ok though for me? I like working from home cos I get to work without my boss hovering over me lol, and on many days he sets me a task and I just keep at it and he just checks in a few days later for me to hand in the work.

In sha Allah I wish that if I get better than I get an office-based job, that is not too close by in location, so I can enjoy being social more. Right now my office is my laptop and living room hahaha.

It can be isolating, but if it was a few years ago, I would probably sink into depression. This is because ever since I got MS and some horrible trials happened at the same time, I decided to say this dua from a hadith and since then Allah has been making me come closer to him steadily, I feel like I am on a journey to something, I am not sure what...

This is the dua and the hadith:
                        Umm Salamah (May Allah be pleased with her) reported:

I heard the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) saying, “When a person suffers from a calamity and utters: ‘Inna lillahi wa inna ilaihi raji’un. Allahumma ujurni fi musibati, wakhluf li khairan minha (We belong to Allah and to Him we shall return.

O Allah! Compensate me in my affliction, recompense my loss and give me something better in exchange for it),
                        then Allah surely compensates him with reward and better substitute.”

Umm Salamah (May Allah be pleased with her) said: When Abu Salamah (May Allah be pleased with him) died, I repeated the same supplication as the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) had commanded me (to do). So Allah bestowed upon me a better substitute than him (I was married to Muhammad, the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ)).

[Muslim].

For Arabic and Evidence – http://sunnah.com/riyadussaliheen/7/28

But could it be the hereafter and Allah could be purifying me for it, is my death near?

Given how serious my illness is and how it makes me weak to infections and prone to being sick constantly, I wonder.... this is a trial, but Allah's guidance appeared the very moment I was told of my brain scan results.... I was expecting to be told that my MRI scan results were normal

*I am going off-topic now but just want to link it later to loneliness*

If I die now, it would appear that I am in a better position than I was when I wasn't physically unwell, because I have gotten to know my Lord, and accept His love as covering me and to acknowledge that He is with me

So I thank Him for my multiple sclerosis, and I say - no I am not lonely. Ummah forum has been responsible like as a foundation for coming closer to Allah, and the people who I met on here have nourished me with their Muslim sisterhood and brotherhood,

They have reminded me that Allah is with us and me, and taught me how to draw closer to Him with their threads and posts on here (especially on the Islamic reminders subsection and threads asking for advice)

So what better company is there even, I ask Allah to be with us on ummah forum and outside of it and support us all with His love, nourishment and merciful care, ameen
                        Last edited by LailaTheMuslim; 06-03-20, 04:05 PM.
                        وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Yahya2020
                          For this forum is not real to me in the virtual and reality. No friends and real connections.

I see that if you call people then you have a connection if you WhatsApp people you have a connection on here there's no connection here.
                          ​​​There would be if people exchanged numbers and came on here, to discuss with their mates if the current threads or previous ones.

I'm looking for sisters in Lancashire who I might have been seen , worked with or just crossed paths.
                          Marriage was the original reason. It ain't happening!

No you make yourself lonely lying there feeling sorry for yourselves lazy jobless housework or outside work.
                          I'm not saying this to people who have been through really difficult times like depression anxiety then they come here that is different. This was their journey in here to get by to get through to get support.

If you did things productive things no place for loneliness.
                          to be honest I just come here to see if I see the red notifications on my posts, not all of them just about one or two. Unsubscribe to most of them as it gets too much of the notifications which I have previously commented.
                          You only come on here when I'm having me cup of tea too many!!! I need to go back to work!
                          I couldn't stay home and work I'd never get anything done.
                          I've only started coming on here because of what's going on boredom to be honest no offence everyone.
                          I need my routine back

Comment

Originally posted by Yahya2020 View Post
                            I hear quite a few people making quite a big deal about loneliness. What if your not lonely if your on a forum? Are cyber companions real companions and if they are... Then are you lonely? A bit of a philosophical question and a bit of a mess about.
                            Assalamu Alaykom

Where I live in America they are practical no muslims to talk to, so I come here to be part of a muslim ummah in shaa ALLAH and yes I live a lonely life all by myself.. I am so lonely that I wish to have to a chaste muminah wife in shaa ALLAH even if she naggs me 24/7 about buy me this and buy me that, I really do not mind. in shaa ALLAH i will just tell my future wife everything is out of stock due to corona virus hoarding, so I can not buy you anything. Really I would be glad to fully support my future housewife with in reason in shaa ALLAH.
                            Last edited by ABDEL-ATHEEM; 31-03-20, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ABDEL-ATHEEM View Post

Assalamu Alaykom

Where I live in America they are practical no muslims to talk to, so I come here to be part of a muslim ummah in shaa ALLAH and yes I live a lonely life all by myself.. I am so lonely that I wish to have to a chaste muminah wife in shaa ALLAH even if she naggs me 24/7 about buy me this and buy me that, I really do not mind. in shaa ALLAH i will just tell my future wife everything is out of stock due to corona virus hoarding, so I can not buy you anything. Really I would be glad to fully support my future housewife with in reason in shaa ALLAH.
                              You’re going to lie to your wife? That’s not very good

Comment

Working...
                              X