Being asked to stop praying in hospital

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being asked to stop praying in hospital

I really just wanted to ask for some guidance on an issue I came up against recently. I have been in and out of hospital quite a bit in the last couple of years and during a recent stay, during asr prayer (I pray seated as I am unable to kneel and had the curtain pulled around to have some privacy and most of the nurses know I do this and why) I was praying and the nurse came around with a couple of doctors. They came in and said they needed to examine me and the doctor was ‘in a hurry’ which I understand, but they didn’t give me a chance to finish praying. I was uncomfortable about it and just went along with it but afterwards I felt bad. I feel like, being on the spot, I went along with what they wanted ahead of what I know is right from a religious and Islamic perspective. That has got me thinking, is there a hard and fast rule for what one should do in a situation like that? Should I have asked them to wait until I had finished? Or was I right to stop? (I finished after they left) I was only about 2 mins into asr prayer so.. Any advice or guidance would be appreciated. My deen is way more important to me than the rules or etiquette of the hospital but we are supposed to carry ourselves a certain way too so I’m unsure here. Thanks guys.

I was going to suggest saying something to the nurse but it sounds like most of the nurses already know and besides, when it comes to Drs, they're taught that what the Dr wants is paramount.

How long does it take you to pray? 5 minutes? 10 minutes? Do they grab your chart as soon as they see you? I'd suggest you have a "do not disturb" sign of some sort; one placed next to you and one attached to the chart and it should say something like "If you see me praying, it means I am not available to talk or be examined for the next five minutes- please do not disturb". I know this may sound silly, but I think if you wore a topi every time you prayed and then took it off when you finished, it's more noticeable, eye catching and so they're more likely to realise you're in the middle of something. In my experience, the issue with praying whilst sitting or lying down is that sometimes at first glance, people don't realise I'm praying, but as soon as they see the hand movements, they realise I'm in the middle of something. I know we're all doubly self conscious about praying in public and try to be as discreet as possible anyway, but if I were you, I'd also say Allahu Akbar when I do the hand movements- not loud enough for people in the corridor to hear, but a little above a whisper so that maybe the person in the next bed might hear you. In other words, loud enough that someone about to pull back the curtain might realise you're in the middle of something.

Also if you know the Dr's routine (eg the Dr usually does rounds between 2:30-3:30), then it's a good idea to do the prayer at a time when he's least likely to be on rounds.
    I know it's really awkward when non Muslims try to talk to you during salah. It's happened to me once or twice in the workplace in the past. What I did was ignore them until the prayer was done and usually when they see no response from you after the first couple of times that they've called you, they leave you alone. After the prayer then I approach them and ask what they wanted to talk about.
    The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

salaam,

its good that you went back and secured your salah!

Comment

Originally posted by neelu View Post
        I was going to suggest saying something to the nurse but it sounds like most of the nurses already know and besides, when it comes to Drs, they're taught that what the Dr wants is paramount.

How long does it take you to pray? 5 minutes? 10 minutes? Do they grab your chart as soon as they see you? I'd suggest you have a "do not disturb" sign of some sort; one placed next to you and one attached to the chart and it should say something like "If you see me praying, it means I am not available to talk or be examined for the next five minutes- please do not disturb". I know this may sound silly, but I think if you wore a topi every time you prayed and then took it off when you finished, it's more noticeable, eye catching and so they're more likely to realise you're in the middle of something. In my experience, the issue with praying whilst sitting or lying down is that sometimes at first glance, people don't realise I'm praying, but as soon as they see the hand movements, they realise I'm in the middle of something. I know we're all doubly self conscious about praying in public and try to be as discreet as possible anyway, but if I were you, I'd also say Allahu Akbar when I do the hand movements- not loud enough for people in the corridor to hear, but a little above a whisper so that maybe the person in the next bed might hear you. In other words, loud enough that someone about to pull back the curtain might realise you're in the middle of something.

Also if you know the Dr's routine (eg the Dr usually does rounds between 2:30-3:30), then it's a good idea to do the prayer at a time when he's least likely to be on rounds.
        I know it's really awkward when non Muslims try to talk to you during salah. It's happened to me once or twice in the workplace in the past. What I did was ignore them until the prayer was done and usually when they see no response from you after the first couple of times that they've called you, they leave you alone. After the prayer then I approach them and ask what they wanted to talk about.
        Thank you sister, really good suggestions and I will try if I find myself in that situation again inshallah

Comment

Working...
        X