X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muslims in critical thinking 101

Bismillah

Salam alikum brothers and sisters
    I am in desperate need of advice regarding some issues that I am facing. In my American university, in uae, we are being taught "critical thinking", and how to perceive the world in essence. Alhamdulilah, we do know that these courses are used to instill doubts in the minds, and hearts of the youth inorder to bring them
    away from the truth, and islam
    , and closer to their western ideologies, and taghut. May all protect us all...
    I need help. How do I tackle this course without letting any doubt into my heart? She, the professor, always brings up the need to question things, questioning your parents, and how people tend to have no spine, and I have no problem with that. Rather I am ALL for it.. But it is an issue when there is no sense of direction. It is obvious, and inevitable that this
    questioning

is directed against, or is attacking islam, because of the state of our globalized world, and the

socio-political atmosphere ,which demonizes islam at every opportunity
    She especially tends to bring up the topic of gay marriage, and how the gay are born with the a gay gene, and it is scientifically proven. I've done some research regarding this matter, and have failed to find any reliable source support her claim, rather it seems to be a mere hypothesis, and another form of an attempt to attack islam. And just for arguments sake, even if the gay gene existed, this does not make homosexuality morally correct...
    Allah (swt) says in quran kareem; The kufar are a clear enemy to you.. and that you should wait in ambush for them in every corner. So how do I imply this here? Obviously I'm not going to physically attack her, but in from an argumentive manner

perhaps,

Should I try to

open debate discussions in the class, as it is a small class of around 20 people.
    On a side note, there is a hadeeth, which talks about how being etiquette, and charming, can be a form of magic, and it is often the case with these professors. They seem charming, and intelligent, when in reality they are shaytan. so maybe that is something to take into consideration
    Jazakallah

That is actually so weird that they let your teacher talk like that. The American university is in Dubai right? I don't think that you can get away with talking like that in Abu Dhabi. If you dare to defend gay people you would get in serious trouble.

As for the critical thinking thing, just stick to your roots in Islam. I had to do that type of thing for years and it did teach me how to see things from a western person's perspective but it didn't change the way I feel or think about Islam and it didn't change my life either. But if you feel like you may start doubting your beliefs then drop out of the course and take another one.

Also, I am pretty sure that your professor's facts are wrong and if you genuinely feel like she is trying to attack Islam you can probably report her. Trust me, in the UAE they do not take these types of things lightly. Well in Abu Dhabi at least.

Comment

Originally posted by ahmedyounes View Post

Bismillah

I am in desperate need of advice regarding some issues that I am facing. In my American university, in uae, we are being taught "critical thinking", and how to perceive the world in essence. Alhamdulilah, we do know that these courses are used to instill doubts in the minds, and hearts of the youth inorder to bring them
      I need help. How do I tackle this course without letting any doubt into my heart? She, the professor, always brings up the need to question things, questioning your parents, and how people tend to have no spine, and I have no problem with that. Rather I am ALL for it.. But it is an issue when there is no sense of direction. It is obvious, and inevitable that this
      questioning

is directed against, or is attacking islam, because of the state of our globalized world, and the

She especially tends to bring up the topic of gay marriage, and how the gay are born with the a gay gene, and it is scientifically proven. I've done some research regarding this matter, and have failed to find any reliable source support her claim, rather it seems to be a mere hypothesis, and another form of an attempt to attack islam. And just for arguments sake, even if the gay gene existed, this does not make homosexuality morally correct...
      Allah (swt) says in quran kareem; The kufar are a clear enemy to you.. and that you should wait in ambush for them in every corner. So how do I imply this here? Obviously I'm not going to physically attack her, but in from an argumentive manner

perhaps,

Should I try to

open debate discussions in the class, as it is a small class of around 20 people.
      On a side note, there is a hadeeth, which talks about how being etiquette, and charming, can be a form of magic, and it is often the case with these professors. They seem charming, and intelligent, when in reality they are shaytan. so maybe that is something to take into consideration
      Jazakallah
      Try to find another university that teaches your course. Your Deen is invaluable & once lost, cannot be replaced by anything. Kuffar are sworn enemies of Islam as Allah Says; {And never will the Jews or the Christians approve of you until you follow their religion. Say, "Indeed, the guidance of Allah is the [only] guidance." If you were to follow their desires after what has come to you of knowledge, you would have against Allah no protector or helper}
      ليتني أموت على ما ماتت عليه عجائز نيسابور

Comment

Originally posted by aelmo View Post
        That is actually so weird that they let your teacher talk like that. The American university is in Dubai right? I don't think that you can get away with talking like that in Abu Dhabi. If you dare to defend gay people you would get in serious trouble.

As for the critical thinking thing, just stick to your roots in Islam. I had to do that type of thing for years and it did teach me how to see things from a western person's perspective but it didn't change the way I feel or think about Islam and it didn't change my life either. But if you feel like you may start doubting your beliefs then drop out of the course and take another one.

Also, I am pretty sure that your professor's facts are wrong and if you genuinely feel like she is trying to attack Islam you can probably report her. Trust me, in the UAE they do not take these types of things lightly. Well in Abu Dhabi at least.
        It is in Abu dhabi, and inshallah I will attempt to report this to the authorities, but I doubt there will be any avail. She is after all only claiming that there is evidence of a gay gene, which is indirectly attacking islam in one way or another.

Comment

Originally posted by TURJUMAN View Post

Try to find another university that teaches your course. Your Deen is invaluable & once lost, cannot be replaced by anything. Kuffar are sworn enemies of Islam as Allah Says; {And never will the Jews or the Christians approve of you until you follow their religion. Say, "Indeed, the guidance of Allah is the [only] guidance." If you were to follow their desires after what has come to you of knowledge, you would have against Allah no protector or helper}
          I know brother, I attempted discussing the issue with my father, but he said you're going to lose too many credits, and time, because I'm already in the latter part of my studying alhmdulilah.
          Please make dua for me everyone

Comment

It is in Abu dhabi, and inshallah I will attempt to report this to the authorities, but I doubt there will be any avail. She is after all only claiming that there is evidence of a gay gene, which is indirectly attacking islam in one way or another.
            I wouldn't say authorities. Maybe try the Dean or someone in a higher up position then her so they can talk to her about it. She may not even realize what she's doing.

Comment

Theres no such thing as a gay gene (though theres gay jeans, homos like to wear skinny levis) that was a hoax. The scientist who did the study was found to have doctored the results and later came out as a homosexual himself
              Each person has inside a basic decency and goodness. If he listens to it and acts on it, he is giving a great deal of what it is the world needs most. It is not complicated but it takes courage. It takes courage for a person to listen to his own goodness and act on it.

Comment

You went to an american university, regardless where it's based, what did you think they were going to teach? How to follow the quran?
                Just ignore her. She has her opinion, you have yours, you know that yours is right.
                Maybe this is a shock for you because i'm assuming you weren't brought up in the west. I mean she isn't even attacking islam with her opinions, she didn't mention islam at all. I remember I had a teacher who would attack islam itself.

Her theory of a 'gay gene' is the stupidest thing i've heard in my life, it's too stupid to cause any intelligent muslim doubts.
                شَكَوْتُ إلَى وَكِيعٍ سُوءَ حِفْظِي
                فَأرْشَدَنِي إلَى تَرْكِ المعَاصي
                وَأخْبَرَنِي بأَنَّ العِلْمَ نُورٌ
                ونورُ الله لا يهدى لعاصي

Comment

Originally posted by Rumaysah~ View Post
                  You went to an american university, regardless where it's based, what did you think they were going to teach? How to follow the quran?
                  Just ignore her. She has her opinion, you have yours, you know that yours is right.
                  Maybe this is a shock for you because i'm assuming you weren't brought up in the west. I mean she isn't even attacking islam with her opinions, she didn't mention islam at all. I remember I had a teacher who would attack islam itself.

Her theory of a 'gay gene' is the stupidest thing i've heard in my life, it's too stupid to cause any intelligent muslim doubts.
                  You're right she didn't mention islam at all, but naturally, the way she teaches it by saying you should always doubt everything, and that there is no certain truth, it contradicts to islam, because islam is the ultimate truth subhanallah...
                  I can't imagine sitting in a classroom where islam is being attacked... You must be the weird one in your family mashallah
                  I try my best to ignore her, and internally reject her , but I feel like I need to reject her by actually speaking
                  Last edited by ahmedyounes; 23-01-18, 07:45 AM.

Comment

As a professor, it sounds like she is trying to force her own opinions on the students. She should stay unbiased and not get her own opinions influence the lecture.
                    If I was doing that in a classroom, i'd get in trouble so she needs to be careful with her own opinions because the students have every right to complain about a teacher that is being 'preachy', think about it, if a muslim was trying to show their 'theory' - it would be questioned.

You will have to tell Dr gay gene (obviously I don't know her name, but whoah this lady has got some theory (interesting) that might get her some attention, but i think some people have already spoken of something similar) that yes, we should question theories, beliefs, and opinions, it's what our religion encourages us but at the same time we MUST accept others opinions and not SHOVE YOUR THEORY DOWN OTHER PEOPLES THROAT

respect the opinion and move on, but the constant blah blah from her is trying to say something

All your listening to is her gene story, you're not learning anything, tell her 'miss, we get you, next please'

but if she has been making indirect offensive remarks about islam just tell her that you find it offensive how she talks about this religion and you'd prefer her to be a bit more PROFESSIONAL ABOUT IT.

OR better, put it in writing for the head of department

'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

Bismillah

questioning

perhaps,

Should I try to

Jazakallah

Comment

Asalamu Alaikum

Who cares if people have a gay gene? It's still haram. Homosexuality is a recipe for diseases of all sorts, such as STI's.

Just don't bring up Islam in this discussion, and if she brings it up, report her to the authorities. Simple.

Comment

Bismillah

questioning

perhaps,

Should I try to

Jazakallah
                          Counter the professor's arguments or views if you are able to.
                          Make her question her own thoughts.
                          If she mentions islam and targetting it specifically, record her audio or something then report like others said.

Its good if Islam is being defended and not being stomped in that place if you are saying that's whats happening.

Allah Subḥānahu wa-taʿālā has mentioned in the Quran in chapter Surah Al-Ahzab:21 There has certainly been for you in the Messenger of Allah an excellent pattern for anyone whose hope is in Allah and the Last Day and [who] remembers Allah often.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                          X