Comparing myself to others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparing myself to others

How do I stop myself from comparing myself to others or trying to impress others when it comes to acts of worship?

You are you, they are who they, compare yourself to who you were yesterday not who someone else is today.
    FOLLOW THE NEW BLOG - GINGERBEARDMAN - Muslim, father, husband, writer, defender of ginger rights!

www.facebook.com/outreach4Islam - Outreach4Islam have been working together in Leicester, calling the not yet Muslims to Islam since 2006.

Comment

Hello

Do you see this people everyday?

Is it on the internet?

Do you have to see them everyday?

If the answer to all of the above is no then carry on avoiding seeing this people and comparing yourself to what may seem like success to you, when really, everyone has an issue behind closed doors, some like to show they are happy dappy but it's far from that.

Stop the comparing, you're hurting yourself. You're listening to your own self pity and thinking 'I wish I was like them'. Think of what you have, constantly remind yourself of the verses of surah Rahman 'which favours of your lord will you deny?'

Take these feelings as a moment to reflect on yourself and your own strengths. Appreciate the things around you like nature, star gazing, food, basic joys of life, sometimes small things in life are so peaceful and they can make you smile if you truly know how special they are.

When it comes to Riya or ostentation which I made a thread about, best way to avoid this is to do carry out ibadah in PRIVATE. You don't have to tell people that you have prayed tahajjud or you always do this, or that you're fasting today, there is no need for others to know this. Keep it to yourself and make the intention to please Allah.

Carry out every act with the intention of pleasing Allah. Make Allah smile, what are you going to gain from people praising you? Nothing, it's like being a beggar to people who are not going to give you eternal happiness.

Showing off is a huge problem, sometimes we don't even realise we're doing it.

It's possible to make changes to be a better person.

'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

Originally posted by Aichadembele310 View Post
        How do I stop myself from comparing myself to others or trying to impress others when it comes to acts of worship?
        If you are really trying to impress others in acts of worship then this is minor shirk. My advice to you is to purify your intentions seeking Allah's sake only. Stop impressing the creation that is going to turn on you on the Day of Judgement. And Allah Knows Best.
        "When a man sees the road as long he weakens in his walk." Ibn Qayyim

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
        X