Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How practicing are the Muslims in your community?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How practicing are the Muslims in your community?

I know many people define practicing differently, but I am asking if you think Muslims in your community tend to fulfill this religion's obligations and avoid it's prohibitions.

The results are answers to three questions:

1.) How many Muslims live in your community and how many are practicing?

2.) How many Muslims live in your community and are the ones raised there practicing?

3.) What kind of country do you live in?
    I live in an area with many Muslims and the majority are practicing
    8.33%
    I live in an area with many Muslims and the majority are not practicing
    41.67%
    I live in an area with few Muslims and the majority are practicing
    8.33%
    I live in an area with few Muslims and the majority are not practicing
    8.33%
    I live in an area with many Muslims and the majority of people raised here are practicing
    8.33%
    I live in an area with many Muslims and the majority of people raised here are not practicing
    25.00%
    I live in an area with few Muslims and the majority of people raised here are practicing
    0%
    I live in an area with few Muslims and the majority of people raised here are not practicing
    16.67%
    I live in a Muslim majority country
    8.33%
    I live in a non-Muslim country that is not in the west
    8.33%
    I live in the west
    58.33%
    "Had Allah lifted the veil for his slave and shown him how He handles his affairs for him, and how Allah is more keen for the benefit of the slave than his own self, his heart would have melted out of the love for Allah and would have been torn to pieces out of thankfulness to Allah. Therefore if the pains of this world tire you do not grieve. For it may be that Allah wishes to hear your voice by way of duaa. So pour out your desires in prostration and forget about it and know; that verily Allah does not forget it."
    - Ibn al Qayyim (rahimahullah)

salam alaikum

I live in a major city in Western Canada which is part of the Canadian Bible belt,total population 1.25 million. I've heard various estimates of the muslim population as being from 4-8% of the total population,the figure usually given for the muslims population is 60,000-75,000 but what the census takers define as muslims is incorrect as Qadianis,Shia and Barelwis are included. I figure there is roughly 30,000-50,000 Sunni muslims in my city.

As for the break down in demographics of the muslim population i could only guestimate but will take a stab at it.

20-25% Lebanese(not including the rafida)
    10%syrian,egyptian,libyan,jordanian,yemeni and other arabs
    10%maghrebi:tunisian,algerian and moroccan
    20-25% Pakistani(not including the Qadiani and rafida)
    5% Indian and Bangladeshi
    20-25% East African,Somali,ethiopian,eritrean
    10-15% Other african,Sengalese,guinean,Ghana,Tanzanian,Kenyan,C ongolese,etc.

As for level of practicing that varies widely generally the Africans being the most practicing and the arabs the least,if at all. Most people are very,very cultural and non educated.
    This is massive generalization and I can think of many exceptions personally but for the most part true.

Of the the total population I would say less than 10% are practicing at any serious capacity and far less than 5% pray daily 5x.
    For example any of the daily prayers at my masjid the attendance doesn't get over 20-30 people but for a halaqa it's 100 on a good night and for Juma it's up around 350+ for each juma, as there are 2,which is really cramming people in to the point that people are praying in the shoe area.

These are just my observations, experiences and apply only to my area. Places like Toronto and Montreal have much larger,stronger and better established Muslim communities from What I have heard but I have not personally visited.

Comment

I just moved to an area of Florida, U.S.A. called Port St. Lucie and there is not even a masjid in the city. I would say the Muslim population is less than 1 percent. And Allah Knows Best.
      The Prophet s.a.a.w warned when he said: "You will surely follow the ways of those who came before you, in exactly the same fashion, to the point were they to enter the hole of a lizard, you too would enter it." It was asked of him, "O Messenger of Allah s.a.a.w., do you mean the Jews and Christians?" He replied, "Who else?" (Bukhari and Muslim)

Comment

Originally posted by Musbah
        I just moved to an area of Florida, U.S.A. called Port St. Lucie and there is not even a masjid in the city. I would say the Muslim population is less than 1 percent. And Allah Knows Best.
        Interesting. I'm from Miami myself.

If you go just a bit down south to west palm beach you should find a decent Muslim population.

Comment

I moved here because my wife wanted to take care of her father that lives here by himself who is old and ailing. I was a resident of Broward for over 42 years and that is where I became a Muslim, al-Hamdulilah. Broward has become too crime ridden and congested. It was time to move from there.
          The Prophet s.a.a.w warned when he said: "You will surely follow the ways of those who came before you, in exactly the same fashion, to the point were they to enter the hole of a lizard, you too would enter it." It was asked of him, "O Messenger of Allah s.a.a.w., do you mean the Jews and Christians?" He replied, "Who else?" (Bukhari and Muslim)

Comment

We cant even fill up our first rows in our masajids.
            Stop being apologetic to Kuffars!

If I don't engage with you or reply to any of your question, it's likely because I find you racist and a total waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Musbah View Post
              I moved here because my wife wanted to take care of her father that lives here by himself who is old and ailing. I was a resident of Broward for over 42 years and that is where I became a Muslim, al-Hamdulilah. Broward has become too crime ridden and congested. It was time to move from there.
              Broward county is one that is frequently featured on COPS,same with Dade county. I suppose the don't bother to film in low crime areas,eh?
              Last edited by Samsandman; 13-01-18, 03:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Abdell View Post
                We cant even fill up our first rows in our masajids.
                That's sad, I'm happy if we can fill in the second row and maybe a few stragglers in the third but not a full first row makes me want to cry,especially when it only takes 12-20 men,

Comment

What do you mean with "community"? The area I live in?

Comment

I really don't know how to answer this question. I live in a Muslim country and pretty much everyone is technically practising. I really don't want to judge anyone because I don't know what they are actually like behind closed doors. I do notice that many people pray and fast and do all the essentials but then gossip and lie and manipulate people. Also, women do not go to the mosque for Friday prayers, which I know we technically don't have to but i think that you should still go. There are only about 10 women in the mosque on Friday and my family takes up a good chunk of that number. I don't have any connection to men to know what they are doing but based off what my dad tells me, the people he has encountered are very selective as too what they choose to be good Muslims on. Like they will criticize you for saying something like happy new year and say its haram and give you a lecture on how to be a better Muslim, but then they will also be very corrupt and steal money where they work. Also based off what I can see, I can only remember 1 or 2 men who lowered their gaze, everyone else will stare at you directly in your eyes and will not stop looking even when you notice them. Despite all that I can't say everyone is like that. A good majority of people are, but not everyone. Those are just the people I hear about. I never really hear anyone talking about good Muslims in the community, I only ever hear the bad things. I just think the majority of people here are very lenient; not to good or too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Samsandman View Post

Broward county is one that is frequently featured on COPS,same with Dade county. I suppose the don't bother to film in low crime areas,eh?
                      Port St. Lucie has one of the lowest crime in all Florida cities. It gets an A for that but it also has an F for schools. The tv show COPS first started their debut in Broward County. Remember the notorious Nick Navarro as the B.S.O. sheriff? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by P1RAT3N View Post
                        What do you mean with "community"? The area I live in?
                        Yes
                        "Had Allah lifted the veil for his slave and shown him how He handles his affairs for him, and how Allah is more keen for the benefit of the slave than his own self, his heart would have melted out of the love for Allah and would have been torn to pieces out of thankfulness to Allah. Therefore if the pains of this world tire you do not grieve. For it may be that Allah wishes to hear your voice by way of duaa. So pour out your desires in prostration and forget about it and know; that verily Allah does not forget it."

Comment

salaams to all

i live in Durban, South Africa.
                          due to the apartheid era, we were allocated certain areas to live in- all the Indians had to live in those areas and were not allowed to live in any area that was designated for other race groups.

the advantage of this was the muslims of the Indian community were kept in close contact with each other and generally had some form of Islamic identity- even though many of these muslims practiced more upon culture & tradition than Islam.

the strange part of the muslims of Indian origin in SA is that its the wealthier class who are more observant with regard to overall deen & punctual with salaah etc while with the poorer muslims tended to intermarry a LOT with the Hindus & whatever little deen they had in their lives became diluted.

the poorer muslims tend to follow the Bareilwi ulama while the wealthy ones are mostly Deobandis
                          most of the wealthy muslims came from the Gujarat province & the poorer ones were from Calcutta & Hyderabad.

these poorer muslims lead their lives such that they come to the musjid ONLY on Fridays or some BIG night- ie 12th Rabi ul Awwal- which is when they believe Rasulullah SAW was born etc & they attend the Eid salaahs despite many not keeping ANY fast at all without a valid reason.

according to our research, theres approx 200 baligh muslim males in my area but we get 20 max at the musjid daily
                          and on Jumuah etc that goes up to 50-60.

in the wealthier areas, theres waaay more muslims who are regular at the musjid.

and Allah ta'ala knows best
                          jazakallaj

Sufyaan Thawri "Whoever is very popular with his relations and neighbours, we suspect him to be compromising in preaching the true teachings of religion."
                          very good site for English bayaans in MP3 format-check it out- u wont be disappointed: http://www.musjidnoor.za.net/index.html & http://alhaadi.org.za/majlis-program...downloads.html

Comment

Originally posted by .khayriyyah. View Post

Yes
                            Oh alrighty then.

Well I do live in the west. Nordic. Born and raised in the north. Born muslim, raised muslim and still a practicing muslim.
                            As for the others, I have completely no hope for them anymore. The friends I knew growing up with practiced (I supposed). They were at least modest. Now I don't know the last time they put a foot in a masjid. They don't pray anymore, they party day in day out, no completed education, no hijab anymore. Drugs, smoke, liquid... You name it. They changed to the worst. From being kinda modest.

I lost hope in my community.

Comment

Originally posted by P1RAT3N View Post

Oh alrighty then.

Well I do live in the west. Nordic. Born and raised in the north. Born muslim, raised muslim and still a practicing muslim.
                              As for the others, I have completely no hope for them anymore. The friends I knew growing up with practiced (I supposed). They were at least modest. Now I don't know the last time they put a foot in a masjid. They don't pray anymore, they party day in day out, no completed education, no hijab anymore. Drugs, smoke, liquid... You name it. They changed to the worst. From being kinda modest.

I lost hope in my community.
                              What about the older people in your area?

Comment

Working...
                              X