Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An unwanted gift

Salaaam

I've recently gotten a christmas gift from work. It was wrapped and therefore didn't know what was in it until i got home and unwrapped it.

It contained three items, a 'cool me' apparatus to keep liquids cool, a wooden storage box( a pretty fancy) and a beer.

Usually when i get a gift like this i can't use, i re-gift/ give it to someone who can make use of it.

But i was thinking it might be be haram giving someone something that is haram ..

Anyway i could use some advice on what to do with it...

Ps. don't say you shouldn't have accepted it, i already have.
    Last edited by itsgiise; 22-12-17, 08:33 PM.

Now that you've taken it, I'd bin the beer, and for the other two, it depends whether they contain a symbol or something that references a beer company... if when some1 sees them, they'd look beer-related... i'll bin them too!

And in the future i wouldnt take it, and tell them in plain english that i dont accept xmas presents and other non-islamic festives presents
    Last edited by malleat1; 22-12-17, 10:57 PM.
    * typing from my phone, excuse the mess

Comment

You can't give alcohol to someone, even if you didn't buy it. Bin it immediately..
      Women lost their modesty when men lost their gheerah..” .

Comment

thanks. thats what i figured. binning it

Comment

I received a few Belgian chocolate alochol containing cupcakes as a gift. lol

Comment

Originally posted by itsgiise View Post
            thanks. thats what i figured. binning it
            I would actually open it,pour it down the drain and then recycle the bottle or return it for a refund. If it's a glass bottle I would smash it as when glass beer bottles(and wine bottles too) are returned they are washed out,sterilized and refilled with more beer. No other product is sold in a bottle similar to a beer bottle. If its a aluminum can or plastic they melt those down and often turn them into other products.

Where I live there are lots of "bottle pickers" ,people who go through the garbage to find recyclable bottles to return for the deposit. The vast majority of these bottle pickers are alcoholics or drug addicts who can't hold down a regular job because of their addiction. Leaving a full bottle of booze out for them would just be helping them to skip a step in their unending quest to poison their liver.

whether you have bottle pickers or not I would advise you to pour it down the drain or in the back alley and then break the bottle if it is glass as that is closest to what the sahaba did.

Comment

Originally posted by Samsandman View Post

I would actually open it,pour it down the drain and then recycle the bottle or return it for a refund. If it's a glass bottle I would smash it as when glass beer bottles(and wine bottles too) are returned they are washed out,sterilized and refilled with more beer. No other product is sold in a bottle similar to a beer bottle. If its a aluminum can or plastic they melt those down and often turn them into other products.

Where I live there are lots of "bottle pickers" ,people who go through the garbage to find recyclable bottles to return for the deposit. The vast majority of these bottle pickers are alcoholics or drug addicts who can't hold down a regular job because of their addiction. Leaving a full bottle of booze out for them would just be helping them to skip a step in their unending quest to poison their liver.

whether you have bottle pickers or not I would advise you to pour it down the drain or in the back alley and then break the bottle if it is glass as that is closest to what the sahaba did.
              Agreed.
              You think you know more than my scholar's qiyās? He was more learned than you and all other scholars combined. Yeah, the devil was the greatest scholar too and look where his qiyās of fire being better than tīn got him. Sorry.

You follow your scholar's qiyās, and I will follow the Qur'ān and Sunnah.

Comment

You have to drain it, right?

Binning it may not be sufficient. Because the bottle and alcohol will still be very usable if found.

Comment

I've already binned it.. I rather not go dumpster diving ;)

Comment

Originally posted by itsgiise View Post
                    I've already binned it.. I rather not go dumpster diving ;)
                    Had you not unwrapped it, I would have said to give it back. lol

Where do you live? I ask because in the West, they seem to be Islamic scholars but don't know we don't celebrate Christmas. I let it be known to my coworkers when I worked that I was a Muslim and I didn't celebrate any non Muslim holidays, especially Pagan ones. I would thank you coworker and privately tell him/her you're Muslim and you don't celebrate it. Or announce it. Whichever you like. lol
                    لَمْ يَلِدْ وَلَمْ يُولَدْ
                    سورة الإخلاص

Comment

Originally posted by Yasirah87 View Post

Had you not unwrapped it, I would have said to give it back. lol

Where do you live? I ask because in the West, they seem to be Islamic scholars but don't know we don't celebrate Christmas. I let it be known to my coworkers when I worked that I was a Muslim and I didn't celebrate any non Muslim holidays, especially Pagan ones. I would thank you coworker and privately tell him/her you're Muslim and you don't celebrate it. Or announce it. Whichever you like. lol

Live in Denmark...

It wasn't really a co-worker that gave it to me. It was my employer.. But your point stands..Not sure why i accepted it.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                      X