Ethnicity/nationality opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Um_Saf View Post
    I use English to reference my nationality/geographical location and not my race. I do not have any ounce of patriotism/nationalism.

So what's you thoughts on this, how do you refer to yourself and how do you refer to others? Do you find this stuff interesting or is it just me who loves history and therefore the genetics, geological and cultural side of things really fascinate me.
    These terms are already set but a lot of people don't care to differentiate between them. I'm guilty of this, to be honest.

I'm mixed but I've always mentioned where my parents are from when people ask about my ethnicity. I'm also intetersted in genetics, but it's only because I want to learn more about where I'm from. My parents are from places where the people are already mixed, so it's something that interests me.
    Last edited by .khayriyyah.; 18-12-17, 11:01 PM.
    Has the time not come for those who have believed that their hearts should become humbly submissive at the remembrance of Allah and what has come down of the truth? And let them not be like those who were given the Scripture before, and a long period passed over them, so their hearts hardened; and many of them are defiantly disobedient. (57:16)

Comment

I'm not british and definately not english,
      ​​​​​​there is a difference between british and english.
      Last edited by Rumaysah~; 19-12-17, 02:32 AM.
      شَكَوْتُ إلَى وَكِيعٍ سُوءَ حِفْظِي
      فَأرْشَدَنِي إلَى تَرْكِ المعَاصي
      وَأخْبَرَنِي بأَنَّ العِلْمَ نُورٌ
      ونورُ الله لا يهدى لعاصي

Comment

This thread is awful

Comment

Originally posted by Abu Jarir View Post
          This thread is awful
          That's rude. What's wrong with the sister wanting to discuss ethnicity?
          Women lost their modesty when men lost their gheerah..” .

Comment

I am mixed race and that has honestly made me feel like I am not from anywhere. I haven't lived in a place long enough to develop any type of culture or patriotism and if you asked me anything about any place that I am from, I probably won't even be able to tell you the basics. For the longest time when people would ask me where I am from I wouldn't know how to answer and I would get so frustrated, so I would just settle on 1 place so they wouldn't ask any follow-up questions that would lead to a massive conversation. I kind of feel like I missed out on that sense of community that you get when you're a part of a culture but I guess its ok. That need for community made me want to be a better Muslim because I knew that I would always have a place in that community. It's pretty much the only thing that I really identify as. I just love how you can be anywhere in the world and see another Muslim and share salam's and feel like you have a connection with that person. It really is amazing.

Although I would actually love to do a DNA test on myself because I feel like it would be very interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by aelmo View Post
              I am mixed race and that has honestly made me feel like I am not from anywhere. I haven't lived in a place long enough to develop any type of culture or patriotism and if you asked me anything about any place that I am from, I probably won't even be able to tell you the basics. For the longest time when people would ask me where I am from I wouldn't know how to answer and I would get so frustrated, so I would just settle on 1 place so they wouldn't ask any follow-up questions that would lead to a massive conversation. I kind of feel like I missed out on that sense of community that you get when you're a part of a culture but I guess its ok. That need for community made me want to be a better Muslim because I knew that I would always have a place in that community. It's pretty much the only thing that I really identify as. I just love how you can be anywhere in the world and see another Muslim and share salam's and feel like you have a connection with that person. It really is amazing.

Although I would actually love to do a DNA test on myself because I feel like it would be very interesting.
              People love mix race people in uk kuffar and muslims

i dont know why

Comment

Originally posted by Abu julaybeeb View Post

People love mix race people in uk kuffar and muslims

i dont know why
                Believe me I know. I guess we seem more approachable because we can relate to people from more places. For me I just sometimes wish that I completely fit into one category because I will always have parts from each side of me that conflict with the other. That made it difficult to assimute into any culture.
                Last edited by aelmo; 08-01-18, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aelmo View Post

Believe me I know. I guess we seem more approachable because we can relate to people from more places. For me I just sometimes wish that I completely fit into one category because I will always have parts from each side of me that conflict with the other. That made it difficult to assimute into any culture.
                  What are you mixed with? Hope you don't mind me asking.
                  Has the time not come for those who have believed that their hearts should become humbly submissive at the remembrance of Allah and what has come down of the truth? And let them not be like those who were given the Scripture before, and a long period passed over them, so their hearts hardened; and many of them are defiantly disobedient. (57:16)

Comment

Originally posted by .khayriyyah. View Post

What are you mixed with? Hope you don't mind me asking.
                    Its okay I guess. I'm half Arab and half European.
                    Last edited by aelmo; 08-01-18, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Um_Saf View Post
                      So I ended up having a conversation with a lovely sister on here about reference to Ethnicity and Nationality.

I really dislike the use of simply English to mean non-Muslim people or white folk in general.

To me English is more a nationality than an ethnicity. Though technically it is both-I would argue thought that there is no pure families in Britain from any of the British/uk nations as we are a mix of Scottish/Welsh,/Irish/English and lets not forget we have been invaded in the past so are also a mix of Scandinavian (from the Vikings-especially up north), the Normans and the Romans-this is why UK is no longer a Pagan country as the romans brought Christianity.

Technically there is "English culture" too but then again there are are white english people who don't adhere to the cultural norms of society and with the many other ethnicities in England (potentially adopting the culture or parts of it) and multicultural families (mixing cultures) I don't think there's a purely English culture anymore here either. Lets not forget the people abroad adopting the culture yet it doesn't mean you refer to them as English people (I am also thinking of Anglo-Indians here who probably have only had one English ancestor but yet refer to there Anglo claim with pride and follow English tradition's much more than I ever would)

I use English to reference my nationality/geographical location and not my race. I do not have any ounce of patriotism/nationalism.

So what's you thoughts on this, how do you refer to yourself and how do you refer to others? Do you find this stuff interesting or is it just me who loves history and therefore the genetics, geological and cultural side of things really fascinate me.
                      English is not commonly used as a nationality because technically, one would refer to themselves as 'British'. I have never seen a non Anglo-Saxon person describe themselves as English, just British. And for that reason I view it almost exclusively as an ethnic classification- just as I would say that I'm Somali-British. Honestly, I would take offence if anyone called me English because that feels like it relinquishes my Somali-ness, but British is fine because I was born and raised as a British citizen. Maybe, that's just because I live in London though.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                      X