Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ethnicity/nationality opinions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ethnicity/nationality opinions

    So I ended up having a conversation with a lovely sister on here about reference to Ethnicity and Nationality.

    I really dislike the use of simply English to mean non-Muslim people or white folk in general.

    To me English is more a nationality than an ethnicity. Though technically it is both-I would argue thought that there is no pure families in Britain from any of the British/uk nations as we are a mix of Scottish/Welsh,/Irish/English and lets not forget we have been invaded in the past so are also a mix of Scandinavian (from the Vikings-especially up north), the Normans and the Romans-this is why UK is no longer a Pagan country as the romans brought Christianity.

    Technically there is "English culture" too but then again there are are white english people who don't adhere to the cultural norms of society and with the many other ethnicities in England (potentially adopting the culture or parts of it) and multicultural families (mixing cultures) I don't think there's a purely English culture anymore here either. Lets not forget the people abroad adopting the culture yet it doesn't mean you refer to them as English people (I am also thinking of Anglo-Indians here who probably have only had one English ancestor but yet refer to there Anglo claim with pride and follow English tradition's much more than I ever would)

    I use English to reference my nationality/geographical location and not my race. I do not have any ounce of patriotism/nationalism.

    So what's you thoughts on this, how do you refer to yourself and how do you refer to others? Do you find this stuff interesting or is it just me who loves history and therefore the genetics, geological and cultural side of things really fascinate me.
    Last edited by Um_Saf; 18-12-17, 11:54 AM. Reason: Edited on brothers concerns JazakAllah Kharian.

  • #2
    Like yours, we do identify ourselves based on ethnicity, and also the country we grew up in. You said you identified yourself by nationality (English) right? If that's the case why can't you call yourself white instead, lol?

    I'm Southeast Asian, and there is a race and nationality that we identify ourselves with. Most of the time when people ask me "what are you?" I tell them my race, not so much our nationality. If you step in my country, then it's a different story - locals would ask what's your nationality or which country you from, instead. We would ask, especially if you come off as foreign/exotic ( non-Asian), which I assume you do..

    PS dont describe your race specifically, esp if you're white. There are creeps here..

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by nudgetheputri View Post
      Like yours, we do identify ourselves based on ethnicity, and also the country we grew up in. You said you identified yourself by nationality (English) right? If that's the case why can't you call yourself white instead, lol?

      I'm Southeast Asian, and there is a race and nationality that we identify ourselves with. Most of the time when people ask me "what are you?" I tell them my race, not so much our nationality. If you step in my country, then it's a different story - locals would ask what's your nationality or which country you from, instead. We would ask, especially if you come off as foreign/exotic ( non-Asian), which I assume you do..

      PS dont describe your race specifically, esp if you're white. There are creeps here..
      Firstly, your concern was noted jazakAllah Khairan so I have edited the OP with your concern in mind.

      I imagine you get the line, where are you from, no where are you 'really' from if your not specific with your ethnicity. That really annoys me because really saying English or British should be enough for anyone to say. Unless they are specifically asking about your family history but other wise they are basically saying "so how are you not white".

      I don't use English as a race reference but a nationality because there's no need to when there is an alternative more accurate term to use for race and see op I don't believe there is any pure race of people now anywhere so there no pure English race of people.
      To me English is simply a nationality/geographical location, I am born and raised in England so therefore i am English as that's my home regardless of ethnic background.

      When abroad I told people UK to their questions they then went on to assume London specifically-never been to London in my life-but I agreed for ease instead of explaining with language barriers.
      Last edited by Um_Saf; 18-12-17, 12:24 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        So what's you thoughts on this, how do you refer to yourself and how do you refer to others?
        To me, English is your ethnicity (white people) and British is nationality. I would consider myself British (born and bred, have a british passport) but I would never consider myself English.

        Nudge - I thought you were arab...
        Women lost their modesty when men lost their gheerah..” .

        Comment


        • #5
          I refere to my self as arab british... i rarely use the word english to describe anyone... i'd use white british or black or something more descriptive... i'm often asked where im "originally" from, or where "my parents" are from by asians...

          I dont remember a white/black person asking where i'm originally from... i think they just take it that i'm asian muslim and thats all they need to know... lol
          *
          *
          * typing from my phone, excuse the mess

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Um_Saf View Post

            Firstly, your concern was noted jazakAllah Khairan so I have edited the OP with your concern in mind.

            I imagine you get the line, where are you from, no where are you 'really' from if your not specific with your ethnicity. That really annoys me because really saying English or British should be enough for anyone to say. Unless they are specifically asking about your family history but other wise they are basically saying "so how are you not white".

            I don't use English as a race reference but a nationality because there's no need to when there is an alternative more accurate term to use for race and see op I don't believe there is any pure race of people now anywhere so there no pure English race of people.
            To me English is simply a nationality/geographical location, I am born and raised in England so therefore i am English as that's my home regardless of ethnic background.

            When abroad I told people UK to their questions they then went on to assume London specifically-never been to London in my life-but I agreed for ease instead of explaining with language barriers.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by shay5 View Post

              To me, English is your ethnicity (white people) and British is nationality. I would consider myself British (born and bred, have a british passport) but I would never consider myself English.

              Nudge - I thought you were arab...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by malleat1 View Post
                I refere to my self as arab british... i rarely use the word english to describe anyone... i'd use white british or black or something more descriptive... i'm often asked where im "originally" from, or where "my parents" are from by asians...

                I dont remember a white/black person asking where i'm originally from... i think they just take it that i'm asian muslim and thats all they need to know... lol
                Maybe if you looked exotic enough, people would come up to you and ask those what-are-you, where-are-you-really-really-from type of qns.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Um_Saf View Post
                  this is why UK is no longer a Pagan country as the romans brought Christianity.
                  To most Muslims, UK is still a pagan country. People in here are scared to admit they are Christians and generally don't talk about religions because atheism is put on the pedestal.

                  In the end times, when Muslims unite with Christians against Jews, it will only be the Christians nations who proclaim to be Christian i.e. Russia. Not UK or USA. These are still considered pagan countries and don't even abide by the christian laws anymore.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Many people don't understand the difference between a) Language b) Nationality c) Ethnicity d) Culture Short Explanation: Language 1.1 Is the your mother tongue the is derived from your Ethnicity 1.2 Is your mother tongue based on Nationality Nationality The country you are born in. This has nothing to do with your ethnicity. Its simply the country you are born in. Ethnicity This is your race group. There is no ethnicity as "white" or "black". The correct terms will denote a greater understanding of the issue. What we know as white in racial terms is actually Caucasian Etc. Culture: Your culture is very dynamic. It normally is an amalgamation of all of the above together with geographic tint to it. Your culture in itself is also time dynamic meaning that the very same people across time in the very same area can transcend through many cultural values and understandings. Culture is in many ways synonymous to a what we regard in colloquial talk as "the norms of a certain society " Just a brief framework on the differences that can be expounded upon.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I don't know what is wrong but when i typed out the above it was laid out properly and then when i posted it appeared as one paragraph

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        So this adulterer is a European. That would explain why it has time for forums to flirt with non-mahram men. It is ingrained in their culture to be loose and commit adultery.

                        Not surprised by this knowledge. Europeans have no clear lineage either, being products of 1 night stands and having an ancestry mixed with plunder, rape and prostitution.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Why are these coconuts identifying themselves as "British"? Are you a kaafir that you call yourself "British"? Do you take pride and joy in being "British" when these Pagans kill your brothers/sisters in Afghanistan/Iraq/Syria?

                          Face the facts! No matter how "British" you think you are, these Kufaar still hate you and would deport you back to your villages in Bangladesh in an instant. They even tell you sell-outs you are not welcome and to go back home, but like ticks on the cows hind, you remain there.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I just want to say I AM BRITISH, it was my destiny

                            lmso
                            'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

                            So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Muslim
                              nothing else

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X